Start by marking “The Crime Trade: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Crime Trade: A Novel

Simon Kernick

The Crime Trade: A Novel (Tina Boyd #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  409 ratings  ·  30 reviews
When Operation Surgical Strike, a police sting designed to catch Colombian drug traffickers in the act of selling a large consignment of cocaine to undercover police officers, goes horribly wrong, suspicion quickly falls on one of the police officers involved: "Stegs" Jenner. Stegs is no ordinary cop. Something of a maverick, he has in the past played the role of a crimina ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Crime Trade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crime Trade

Dan
Contains spoilers
I must admit that this review is based on the audiobook narrated by Dave John, who I really can't stand as a narrator due to the unconvincing voices used and the delivery of dialogues. Leaving aside the 'narration' of this book, I don't feel Simon was 'fair' in delivering 'twists' in the story by not giving the full story as it progressed. Even though the finger was, correctly, pointed at Steggs from the offset, his side of the story denied this from the beginning leading the re
Sjm77
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. He is now in my top 3 authors!! I love it when I find a good author who grips me from start to finish :)
James Marinero
A real page turner. Kernick has great links with UK police forces - mainly the Met - and uses his knowledge to deliver a twist-ridden plot with plenty of non-stop action.

Written from three viewpoints, it's an interesting approach as he follows two MCs (one in the first peson) and a general storyline which works well.

There are no real good guys or bad guys - everyone is bad to some extent even if we don't see it from the outside. The sample is skewed of course - they're all cops or robbers after
David Stimpson
very good book ..beginning to really love SIMON KERNICK
Toni Osborne
It is of no surprise to find as in his earlier installments that “The Crime trade” centers around the ganglands of north London where the good guys tend to mix quite well with the bad ones. It is a dark place with dramatic effects---shot outs in parking lots, police confrontations with drug smugglers, some elements of abuse and torture. But to say this crime thriller is depressing would be false on the contrary it has some underlying humour to it and sizzling dialogue that propels us through the ...more
Emma
Redfox5
A good solid Kernick book. I haven't read any crime books in ages which might have helped. This book has undercove ops gone wrong, bent coppers and lots of twists and turns. Just when you think you've got the plot all sorted, it turns on it's head. Even I was starting to belive Stegs wasn't that bad by the end! This is a crime book worth your time.
Linzi
I did enjoy this, I thought there were a few good twists and was pretty well tied in at the end. The reason for the 3 stars is that there are far too many characters! Every other page introduces a new character and I found it hard to keep up- had to go back to remind myself who was who. Particularly enjoyed the last few chapters which tied up all the loose ends in the story.
Steve Horsfall
Having started with `Relentless' I am now working my way back through the Kernick back catalogue. Chose The Crime Trade (& The Business of Dying, see separate review) for a 2 week vacation in Florida and easily finished both books as once again I was hooked by an intriguing plot and exciting style of writing. The Crime Trade provides another `3d' experience as you see the developing plot through the eyes of good guy cop DI Gallan and anti hero Stegs Jenner. Some really good twists and turns ...more
Lukasz Pruski
What a pleasantly readable book! If one is looking only for entertainment, then Simon Kernick's "The Crime Trade" delivers. It has an interesting plot, good writing, and relatively well-drawn characters. What's more, unlike two previous books by Kernick, it does not degenerate into an idiotic scenario for a thriller movie towards the end. Read the book to its very last sentence as the last pages and the last sentence are delightful.

The police procedural thread is handled much better than DI Gall
Sandra
It was more a 'quite' liked it that the previous one of his I read, possibly because it felt a bit more bloke-orientated. Well-plotted, though convoluted, and I was surprised by the several 'what really happened' chapters at the end. Main characters were believable though. My main gripe was that Stegs Jenner referred throughout the book to his 'missus' in what felt an OTT and unatural manner.
I have two more of Kernick's books to read and shall not hesitate to do so.
Arwen
Very well done. So many twists and turns that you forget which way you are facing! I had to read the last chapters twice because I just couldn't believe the end.
My only small gripe is that I'm fed up with women police officers who are portrayed as reckless, attention-craving wannabe heroines, who just have to disobey orders and go out on their own, inevitably falling into danger and jeopardising the police operation. But even that didn't put me off this story.
Steven
I'm a big fan of Simon Kernick's books and this was no exception. It had the memorable characters (Stegs Jenner was particularly great), references to previous books to keep fans happy, all the action and suspense you could want and several moments that were so funny they actually had me crying with laughter. Finished the book in 2 days as was not able to put it down, it was that good. Would highly recommend.
Sherry
This is the only one, so far, of Simon Kernick's that I simply could not get through. The reviews said it has a spectacular ending, but I just could not get through more than half way. Too many characters; none I really cared about. I will try to read another of this author's because he has been really great (except for this one)
Jordan McPeek
After the action-packed first chapter, the pace really settled down, not a lot going on, nothing too suspenseful. That went on for maybe two-thirds of the book. But the last bit made up for it, especially the ending. That ending is what got it the fourth star from me. Overall, appreciated the realistic, slow approach to the story.
Jayashree Mohan
Not too good first time I found it difficult to finish a Simon Kernick's book
Weenie
Tight, pacey thriller with numerous strands, some of which keep you guessing right to the end. Good to read about Gallan and Boyd again, I liked the characters and their relationship in one of Kernick's previous books. Some stereotypical characters but all in all, great reading.
Robin
Convincing and compelling, this is a tough crime yarn about an undercover op that goes diastrously wrong and ends up with a detective being killed. Someone was playing a dirty game. Kernick makes his hardened characters come alive and keeps readers engrossed.
Jenny Stratton
Bought this at the same time as Business of Dying after enjoying Relentless. I found this took a long time to tell the story and I couldn't relate to the main characters.
Aisha
Couldn't finish reading it. The book is boring and not like the other novels which were interesting but I'm not giving up on Simon Kernick yet. I'll pick a new novel soon.
Andy
Another great book from Mr Kernick.
Thoroughly enjoyed it as I have everything he has written.
If you have not read anything by Simon, you are missing out BIG time.
Sue Flanagan
Was a bit of a trawl to get through, more of a men's book than his others I have read.
Ricardo
Not bad at all. Simple plot, direct and concise writing, good twist at the end
Rowena
A nice little crime novel that keeps you guessing until the twists at the end.
Nico
Book starts very promising, but the pace slows down afterwards.
Theweebarrell
another good one by Simon kernick
David
Very fast paced and good story.
  • London Calling
  • Lifeless (Tom Thorne, #5)
  • The Colour of Death
  • Making a Killing: The Explosive Story of a Hired Gun in Iraq
  • Burial
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
  • Paying For It (Gus Dury, #1)
  • Dead Silent (DC Laura McGanity, #4)
  • The Lure
  • The Redeemed (Jenny Cooper, #3)
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • Dead Men (Dan Shepherd, #5)
  • Gaspipe: Confessions of a Mafia Boss
  • Where the Devil Can't Go
Simon Kernick (born 1966 in Slough, Berkshire) is a British thriller/crime writer now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and two daughters. He attended Gillotts School, a comprehensive in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Whilst he was a student his jobs included fruitpicker and Christmas-tree uprooter. He graduated from Brighton Polytechnic in 1991 with a degree in humanities. Kernick had a passion ...more
More about Simon Kernick...

Tina Boyd (7 books)
  • Relentless
  • Deadline
  • Target
  • The Last 10 Seconds
  • Ultimatum (Tina Boyd #6)
  • The Final Minute