Start by marking “Ulysses S. Grant: The American Presidents Series: The 18th President, 1869-1877” as Want to Read:
Ulysses S. Grant: The American Presidents Series: The 18th President, 1869-1877

Ulysses S. Grant: The American Presidents Series: The 18th President, 1869-1877 (The American Presidents #18)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The underappreciated presidency of the military man who won the Civil War and then had to win the peace as well

As a general, Ulysses S. Grant is routinely described in glowing terms-the man who turned the tide of the Civil War, who accepted Lee's surrender at Appomattox, and who had the stomach to see the war through to final victory. But his presidency is another matter-t
Published September 8th 2004 by Times Books

To ask other readers questions about Ulysses S. Grant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ulysses S. Grant

Shawn Thrasher
If we are in a new Gilded Age, then it may be time for us all to revisit the administration of Ulysses S. Grant. Bunting does a superb job of deconstructing and reconstructing Grant. Was he a drunk? Sometimes, but he also had some bad press. Was he a butcher? Sometimes, but for good reason - he wanted to end the civil war. Did he preside over a scandal ridden adminstration? Somewhat, but government was under the spoils system back then and worked differently than it does now. Bunting's Grant is ...more
Rick
Three stars for the book; five for Grant as general; three for grant as president; five for Grant as world traveler; five for Grant as writer and author; one for Grant as business man; and last but not least, four for me as reader (I don't want to sound arrogant).
Steve

“Ulysses S. Grant” is Josiah Bunting’s 2004 biography of the eighteenth U.S. president. Bunting is an author, retired officer in the US Army and has served in a variety of academic and leadership capacities at West Point, the Naval War College, Princeton and VMI. His novel “The Lionheads” was one of Time Magazine’s “Ten Best Novels of 1973.”

As a member of The American Presidents Series, readers expect a concise, punchy, straightforward biography from Bunti
Steven Peterson
Ulysses S. Grant (born Hiram Ulysses Grant, but there's a story there, as summarized in this work) was to ascend to the highest ranks in the hearts of his countrymen--from commanding general of the Union forces to President of the United States.

His rise to such positions seemed most unlikely to those who knew him in the years after the Mexican War. He grew up in Ohio and, through happenstance, ended up at West Point. He completed his studies, ranking in the middle of the pack in his class. He w
Andrew
I have some interest in the Civil War and, after reading Catton's "The Civil War", decided to expand my knowledge of Grant.

It is 'common knowledge' that US Grant had one of the most corrupt presidencies in United States history. Bunting suggests that the common knowledge is wrong on the back cover of his biography, and makes a strong case as to why a generation of historians has misunderstood Grant.

This book describes US Grant as a man who understood what needed to be done and simply did it. H
Michael Loveless
Josiah Bunting's biography of Grant was exactly what you might expect from the American Presidents Series. It is short and reasonably positive. The author argued that Grant was more successful as president than most people usually give him credit for. He did offer some criticisms of Grant, which added credibility to his account. The book devoted less time to Grant's time as president than any other book in the series that I've read. Perhaps that's because Grant's career as a general is so univer ...more
Tom
I've read a number of the Presidents series books and while informative they see to fall short of being really good. Bunting's job with Grant, however, hit the mark. Short but full of facts within context. A few points 1] Grant and I were born on the same day 2] Both of our grandfathers were named Noah! Any other similarities? If you know me read the book and draw your own conclusions. 3] I never knew Grant was such a supporter of Native Americans and the "freedmen". 4] A lot is often made of co ...more
Lee Eddy
A good, brief biography.
William
Maybe it's because I have read so many works about Grant (he was one of my favorite historical figures) this book was a bit of a letdown. This book is part of the "American Presidents Series" which is supposed to cover the president's time in office. The first half of this 150 page book covers Grant's pre-presidency so I was a little disappointed by that.

However if you are looking to learn a little bit about this great American this would be a good place to start... but there’s so much more to
Darren
I'd always had the impression that Grant was a great general but a naive, bumbling president, who let his cabinet and cronies run wild. After reading this bio, my opion has totally changed. Grant faced some of the toughest challenges any president has faced and handled them honorably and well. I would now rank him as a great president and someone I personally look up to.
William Lubold
A pretty good book about an underrated president. It's short, which I like, but Bunting reads maybe too much into what Grant was thinking, without necessarily having things he said or did to back up his assertions. Still, Bunting makes a strong case for Grant's reputation has been unfairly besmirched by confederate appologists.
James
Written by a military historian, the book focuses more on Grant's lead up to and leadership during the Civil War. There is more detail for certain battles and war decisions than for parts of the Presidency. But all in all, that is probably appropriate for describing him, and arguably more important to the country.
Bob Dietz
The author spent too much time on Gen. Grant and not enough on Pres. Grant. His two presidential terms are breezed through too quickly! This is supposed to be "The American Presidents" series, not a series on Civil War generals.
Richard
delightful and easy to read, and concise account of Grant's life...from his Ohio roots, to his service in the Mexican War, to his exit and return to the miltary, to his ascendency to the great general, to his presidency.
K.C.
I didn't know that much about Grant other than he was a drinker and savior of the Civil War. I ended up really liking him. He seemed to be an honorable man and he loved his wife! He wasn't the best prez but he wasn't the worst.
Ross Rosenfeld
There were times that Mr. Bunting was evasive with certain names, and other times that he used excessive language, I felt, but, all in all, this was a solid, concise biography.
Sagar Jethani
Great, succinct account of Grant's life, with particular focus on his two terms as president. Makes me want to read his memoirs.
Katie
The author's my boss and his book is pretty good and a quick read.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
DR
DR marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Andrew Cripe
Andrew Cripe marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Rosanna
Rosanna marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Chester Alan Arthur (The American Presidents, #21)
  • James A. Garfield (The American Presidents, #20)
  • Rutherford B. Hayes (The American Presidents, #19)
  • Calvin Coolidge (The American Presidents, #30)
  • James Buchanan (The American Presidents, #15)
  • Andrew Jackson (The American Presidents, #7)
  • Benjamin Harrison (The American Presidents, #23)
  • James K. Polk (The American Presidents, #11)
  • John Quincy Adams (The American Presidents, #6)
  • Grover Cleveland (The American Presidents, #22, #24)
  • John Tyler (The American Presidents, #10)
  • Abraham Lincoln (The American Presidents, #16)
  • William McKinley (The American Presidents, #25)
  • James Monroe (The American Presidents, #5)
  • Gerald R. Ford (The American Presidents, #38)
  • Andrew Johnson (The American Presidents, #17)
  • Martin Van Buren (American Presidents, #8)
  • George H. W. Bush (The American Presidents, #41)

The American Presidents (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • George Washington (The American Presidents, #1)
  • John Adams (The American Presidents, #2)
  • Thomas Jefferson (The American Presidents, #3)
  • James Madison (American Presidents, #4)
  • James Monroe (The American Presidents, #5)
  • John Quincy Adams (The American Presidents, #6)
  • Andrew Jackson (The American Presidents, #7)
  • Martin Van Buren (American Presidents, #8)
  • William Henry Harrison (The American Presidents, #9)
  • John Tyler (The American Presidents, #10)
All Loves Excelling An Education for Our Time The Lionheads:  A Novel Advent of Frederick Gile All Loves Excelling: A Novel