Start by marking “I'm Not Reading!” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Reading!

I'm Not Reading! (I'm Not...)

Adorable, irresistible Baby Owl (I'm Not Sleepy!) is back! This time, he has a beloved book in hand and he's eager to begin. But then along comes Tiny Chick, who begs Baby Owl to read to him. Before you can say “once upon a time,” they're joined by a crowd: Tiny Chick's brothers and sisters and cousins and friends all want a story, too. Soon Baby Owl is smothered by lots o ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by Boxer Books (first published February 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Reading!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Not Reading!

Mary
This is a book about an owl who wants to read to his stuffed animals, and before he knows it, all of the chicks in town want to join in! He gets smothered and can’t figure out what to do. Mother Hen and Owl's dad come up and give the chicks a place to sit while Owl reads to them. Owl gets so tired that he falls right to sleep that night. The pictures are great and the story is cute—good for late ECE/early elementary.
Alicia
Jul 25, 2013 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2s-3s, 2013-read
Illustrations were as cute as ever, but the story was thin and the ending was flat.
Leslie
Mar 19, 2017 Leslie rated it liked it
K. Carters
Mar 30, 2014 K. Carters rated it it was amazing
I don't usually bother putting bedtime books on here or giving a review -I get through one a night usually and it's not really a reading challenge for me. However, my boy got this for World Book's day and he is at that stage where he is starting to decide what he likes and what he doesn't. This is his favourite book and wants it over and over. The story is fun enough and the artwork is bold, colourful and quite funny. I wouldn't rate it as great as "Where the Wild Things Are" or "Gruffalo" but w ...more
Barbara
Oct 25, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Baby Owl is sitting down to read a book to her stuffed Owly when along comes Tiny Baby Chick who wants to join them. The draw of a story brings more and more more chicks who take over the story time and bury Baby Owl! A solution to this rather crowded story time is finally found and everyone is satisfied. This is a new addition to the Baby Owl books by Jonathan Allen. What a fun read for story time.
Ashlin
Feb 04, 2017 Ashlin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, childrens
Poor Baby Owl! Everyone wants to hear his story, but he can't read it because he's being overrun! This is a great book to read to or with kids who are just learning to read. It will help them see how fun reading is and how much everyone enjoys it. Plus, there's an owl. 10 points to Gryffindor.
Angie
Mar 19, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
I like Baby Owl. I can't help it. I like owls.

Now this one ... the irony. Oh, the irony. Will go straight over a kiddo's head but the parent (aunt/grandparent/even teacher) will totally get it. Little ones LOVE being read to ... and in their enthusiasm might cross over a few of the personal space lines.

It's a definite four for me ... but probably three for the kids.
Erin
Adorable pictures with cute, fluffy chicks and an endearing Baby Owl. A great story about getting excited - and overexcited - about reading. For reading aloud, the story could really stop when Baby Owl finally gets to read his story. The extra scene at bedtime could be cut out to shorten up the read-aloud.
Maddypictures
Mar 12, 2013 Maddypictures rated it it was amazing
So silly! Adorable Baby Owl (from I'm Not Cute) returns. This time, he's squashed under a boatload of even cuter fluffy baby chicks. This is the book that I didn't know that I needed for preschool storytime. Colorful digital illustrations with soft fluffy edges make Baby Owl look extra cute and huggable. Endpapers feature a plethora of baby chicks.
Tiffany
Jan 10, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Baby Owl tries to read to Owly; Tiny Chick and many others try to join. Before we know it, we can't even see Baby Owl. Baby Owl is frustrated and almost doesn't read. Baby Owl's dad and Tiny Chick's mom help make everything right, and Baby Owl finally reads his favorite story. Text is lots of fun, along with charming digital illustrations; great read for family and preschool children.
Dolly
Jan 17, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
Shelves: childrens, 2014
This is a sweet and humorous tale about a young owl with a very enthusiastic audience. All of the chicks want him to read them a story, but he becomes overwhelmed. The narrative is short and entertaining and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish. The young birds are absolutely adorable. This is a good book to read with younger children.
Naomi
May 20, 2014 Naomi rated it liked it
I thought that the drawings for this story were cute and highly expressive, but the story fell flat. It had that "and then" feeling to it which is disastrous for a 30 page book. Just mediocre to me and that saddened me because it had the capacity to be adorable.
Ricci
May 14, 2015 Ricci rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Storytime 5-14-15; Baby Owl, cute as ever, can't seem to get a word in to read to the chickies! The usual pattern of Jonathan Allen, whose work is always perfect for reading aloud and engaging the children...
Dawn
Sep 14, 2015 Dawn rated it really liked it
I'm not reading seemed a silly title at first. Why would anyone be NOT reading??

Our class really enjoyed the humor. Imagine having more and more and more chicks come and want to read a story with you. Owl is a littel bothered but we thought it was quite delightful!
Julee
Jan 05, 2014 Julee rated it really liked it
I picked this one up because of the adorable illustrations and the title. I should have bought the book because it would be a helpful tool to use when demonstrating the art of reading to younger children. It is a delicate task that is not always successful as little owl learns.
Shelli
Apr 17, 2014 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another adorable Baby Owl edition in this wonderful picture book series for young readers. These books are perfect for read-alouds or independent reading to practice sight words and gain reader confidence. I loved seeing Baby Owl getting mobbed by a group of book enthusiast chicks.
Samantha
Mar 22, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
Baby Owl is overwhelmed by the chicks who are eager to listen to his story.

Digital illustrations make unique use of black lines which gives the artwork a fuzzy feel (this is a good thing). It gives the artwork a visual texture that is creative and one of a kind.
Linda
Dec 31, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
Honestly, I had 10 books to go in my 2016 book challenge so I finished with children's board books. I read all 10 in about 40 minutes.
I picked this book because the title looked interesting. As it turned out, the title was more interesting than the story.
Great Books
Mar 18, 2013 Great Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
Hilarious illustrations make this a read-aloud favorite, especially for fans of a certain grumpy owl. Hoards of tiny chicks crowd around to hear a story--soon far to close for the comfort of the reader.

Reviwer 6
Meg McGregor
Jun 26, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Baby Owl wants to read his new book to Owly and settles in for a delightful afternoon. But then comes Tiny Chick with all his friends and family.

Baby Owl does what every reader would do at that moment. "I'm not reading until you are as quiet as Owly!"

Love this cute book so much!
Erica
Feb 27, 2013 Erica rated it really liked it
Actually, I don't care about the story. It's fine, and all, but the selling point for me? There's a baby owl who gets squished by a truckload of fluffy baby chickens who want to hear a story and that just pisses Baby Owl off. Angry Baby Owl = SOLD!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Ruth Ann
Aug 12, 2014 Ruth Ann rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
"I'm not Reading!" is just one of the Baby Owl Stories: I'm not CUTE!, I'm not scared!, I'm not Santa!, I'm not Sleepy, I'm not Ready! Though I really liked some of the other ones, this particular book is not a favorite of mine.
Leona
Mar 18, 2013 Leona rated it really liked it
a cute little owl wants to read his book to his favorite stuffed animal, but little chicks keep coming and coming until there are so many on his lap he can't see the book. cute illustrations show everyone getting so excited about reading.
Sandy
Mar 05, 2015 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I sometimes feel this way. All you want to do is sit down and read a book. Then you have all these distractions. Poor little Baby Owl, that's all he wanted too. But it all turns out well in the end.
Inge
Jun 04, 2013 Inge rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, picture-books
It had potential to be a good read-aloud, but it got a little preachy for my taste. It's one of those "I'm going to teach you kids a lesson" books.
Danica Midlil
Liked the beginning. Liked the middle. But the ending was lacking that special spark.
Barbara M
Cute read aloud. Baby Owl is willing but the chicks are a bit hyperactive! Dad saves the day.
Cassie
May 14, 2013 Cassie rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
It was good, but the ending was choppy.
Rebecca
Dec 11, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
A pile-on is always funny. A pile-on of chicks? Adorably funny! Cute addition to the "I'm Not..." series.
Marianne
Mar 25, 2013 Marianne rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Another Baby Owl charmer...this time he's joined by LOTS of baby chicks. I didn't enjoy it as much as I'm Not Cute! and I'm Not Scared! but kids will still like hearing another Baby Owl story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ribbit!
  • Perfectly Percy
  • I Wish I Had a Pet
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Princess Sparkle-Heart Gets a Makeover