Start by marking “Nature's Fortune: How Business and Society Thrive By Investing In Nature” as Want to Read:
Nature's Fortune: How Business and Society Thrive By Investing In Nature

Nature's Fortune: How Business and Society Thrive By Investing In Nature

What is nature worth? The answer to this question—which traditionally has been framed in environmental terms—is revolutionizing the way we do business.

In Nature’s Fortune, Mark Tercek, CEO of The Nature Conservancy and former investment banker, and science writer Jonathan Adams argue that nature is not only the foundation of human well-being, but also the smartest commerci
Published April 9th 2013 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about Nature's Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nature's Fortune

Gwyn
Jun 08, 2013 Gwyn rated it really liked it
Nature's Fortune is a good introduction to the idea of ecosystem services. This is technical term that never appears in the book, because it's not a technical book, and that's okay. It's not meant to be technical. It's meant to introduce readers, who probably know a lot more about accounting than ecology, that there can be win/win scenarios between business and environment.

As a student of natural resource management, I can confirm that the broad strokes of what Tercek discusses are correct. Howe
Mark
Jun 04, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Nature's Fortune has a number of strengths and holds the potential to spark conversations we all need to have going into a future with numerous environmental challenges and, as Nature Conservancy CEO Mark Tercek would probably remind us, opportunities to create better ways of doing things. The central benefit of Tercek's argument is also its weakness, depending on your point of view: working with companies to improve their ecological footprints is a largely underutilized strategy for aiding the ...more
Preston Kutney
Sep 23, 2015 Preston Kutney rated it really liked it
This book is all about investing in the natural systems and processes that produce the necessary elements and conditions for life and commerce - systems and processes that are by no means guaranteed to exist in perpetuity, and that forward-thinking leaders and decision makers cannot afford to overlook, for the long term health of both their respective organizations and society as a whole. It is a not a touchy-feely book about investing in nature for aesthetic, or spiritual or intrinsic reasons, ...more
Marie
Jul 31, 2016 Marie rated it really liked it

When I asked our global sustainability director how I could learn about natural capital and natural infrastructure, she recommended I read Nature’s Fortune, written by the CEO of The Nature Conservancy (TNC), Mark Tercek.

When I read in the introduction that he’d majored in English and then lived and taught in Japan like I did, I was hooked. We English majors who’ve been called gaijin have to stick together! I was fascinated to learn about his pathway into
Tyler
Sep 12, 2016 Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timely, altogether readable, and brimming with optimism, Nature's Fortune is full of great case studies to illustrate the point: We can no longer afford to act like conservation efforts and business longevity are separate endeavors. Earth is going through major change. Do we want clean water, minimal flooding, fresh air, and peace? Over a hundred years have passed since the Industrial Revolution began. We're running out of room and realizing how we intimately we interact with nature--every one ...more
David
Feb 09, 2016 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering the severity of the threats to the natural world today, this is a notably optimistic, hopeful book. Tercek wants to build partnerships and finding common ground (like the deal to protect the fishery in Morro Bay, California).

He favors solutions that recognize the market value of services provided by the environment, solutions where those who benefit pay money in exchange—rather than regulatory solutions. The range of investments to preserve clean water in New York's watershed is a go
Ryan
Aug 27, 2016 Ryan rated it it was ok
Shelves: environment, nature
The CEO of TNC was an ex-banker from Goldman Sachs, and he brings his financial savvy to the field of environmental protection. The author takes a landscape approach in assigning monetary value to ecosystem services, be they flood protection of floodplains, water filtration by intact forested watersheds or the provision of fish breeding ground by coral reefs to name but three examples. Although I am a strong believer that Nature in itself has intrinsic value, the idea of scaling up the movement ...more
Heather
Oct 04, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in conservation, sustainability and eco-preservation
Recommended to Heather by: na
I listened to this book on Audible. The presentation of ideas on collaborative conservation and the use of green capitol from Terek, CEO of The Nature Conservancy, are interesting and insightful. This is the "new" thinking in conservation, but these methods don't receive much general publicity. It was worthwhile to listen to current practices that are being utilized in conservation if you are interested in the field.

The Audible performance was clear, but overly filled with information and refere
Marc Gunther
Apr 11, 2013 Marc Gunther rated it really liked it
Mark Tercek, formerly of Goldman Sachs, now ceo of The Nature Conservancy, brings an investment banker's view of the world to the environmental movement in this book. He makes a business case for protecting nature. You can read my review on my blog at http://www.marcgunther.com/mark-terce...
Ian Billick
Aug 26, 2016 Ian Billick rated it liked it
A quick read. I was interested in having a better perspective on how TNC is trying to push natural capital into the decision-making. It was a bit disappointing in that the examples were not better developed. They also tended to focus on issues like water quality that I was already familiar with. But for anybody interested in how to integrate economics and ecology, it is a must read.
Amy Rogers
Jun 17, 2016 Amy Rogers rated it it was ok
I see I started this book 3 years ago. The fact that I never was able to finish it says it all. While I'm a huge fan of the Nature Conservancy and their mission, and the message inside this book is important and interesting, it's not book-length information. Should've been presented as a piece of long-form journalism, not a book.
Fr. Ted
Jun 21, 2013 Fr. Ted rated it liked it
Finding ways for business, industry, government, ecologists and citizens to cooperate on environmentally sustainable plans for cities and business and the population are already being tried. Tercek points out some of these efforts and encourages further cooperation on issues good for health and the bottom line.
K C
Sep 17, 2013 K C rated it liked it
Very interesting. Gave me a new perspective on nature and ecology and how businesses can value and manage and ensure a steady supply of the natural resources they use, as they do man-made resources and supplies.
Alice Korngold
Apr 11, 2014 Alice Korngold rated it it was amazing
Demonstrates the importance and value of business as an environmental partner. An important book for people in all sectors, including businesses and nonprofits, who care about the future of our world.
Theodore Kinni
Jan 20, 2016 Theodore Kinni rated it liked it
The authors of this forthcoming book argue that the economics of sustainability are the missing driver in the struggle to protect the environment.
Carl Rivera
Feb 09, 2014 Carl Rivera rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
A good perspective on how large companies can invest in natural approaches to benefit both nature and the company as a whole.
Kari
Kari rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Jenn Fox
Jenn Fox rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Briehan
Briehan rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Kellie Carlisle
Kellie Carlisle rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Wayne
Wayne rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Corinne White
Corinne White rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Helen K
Helen K rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Shona
Shona rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Brian Stebner
Jan 21, 2016 Brian Stebner rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and have read it multiple times
Filiwian
Filiwian rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Aaron Bugaj
Aaron Bugaj rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Jared Linden
Jared Linden rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2014
  • Philanthrocapitalism: How the Rich Can Save the World
  • Ornithology
  • The World We Made: Alex McKay's Story from 2050
  • Poverty and Famines: An Essay on Entitlement and Deprivation
  • Where the Sea Breaks Its Back: The Epic Story - Georg Steller & the Russian Exploration of AK
  • The Great Animal Orchestra: Finding the Origins of Music in the World's Wild Places
  • Remaking Society
  • The Bedside Book of Birds: An Avian Miscellany
  • Enough Is Enough: Building a Sustainable Economy in a World of Finite Resources
  • The Nature of Design: Ecology, Culture, and Human Intention
  • Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage
  • The Life of the Skies
  • Nature Wars: The Incredible Story of How Wildlife Comebacks Turned Backyards into Battlegrounds
  • Whole Earth Discipline: An Ecopragmatist Manifesto