Start by marking “Coda (Coda, #1)” as Want to Read:
Coda (Coda, #1)

Coda (Coda #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  972 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
Ever since he was a young boy, music has coursed through the veins of eighteen-year-old Anthem—the Corp has certainly seen to that. By encoding music with addictive and mind-altering elements, the Corp holds control over all citizens, particularly conduits like Anthem, whose life energy feeds the main power in the Grid.

Anthem finds hope and comfort in the twin siblings he
Published May 7th 2013 by Running Press Kids

To ask other readers questions about Coda, please sign up.

Lothfleur There are several, I haven't finished yet but Anthem has an ex who's male and has strong feelings for a girl and Scope (a guy) has a boyfriend.
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdThe Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell
YA Debuts 2013
74th out of 513 books — 2,461 voters
Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutDualed by Elsie ChapmanTaken by Erin BowmanPivot Point by Kasie WestLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
2013 Debut Authors of Young Adult & Middle Grade
55th out of 187 books — 669 voters

More lists with this book...

tonya.
There are some people in the world to whom music is as vital as oxygen. To those--me, and certainly Emma Trevayne, the author of Coda--music has the ability to heighten emotions, to heal, to soothe, to enrige, and excite. To us, music is as potent as any drug, and almost as addicting.

To Anthem, and the rest of the citizens in The Web, there is no almost. Music is quite literally a drug, one as addicting as any narcotic. And just as dangerous.

In Anthem's post-war world on the island of Manhatte
Kara
Jul 17, 2015 Kara rated it did not like it
I can't do it, Lyn. I just cannot do it. This world building makes no fucking sense. I am giving it two stars because it wasn't horrible, but why finish when I am not enjoying it in the least? I am so bored I wanna cryyyy. DNF at 39%.

I finished it after all as I had to know how it ended. It did not get better. The writing was still a HUGE mess and the world-building was utterly stupid.

Full review will be on the blog next week, but this is 1.5 stars. I gave it a half extra because of the way Anth
caren
I'll tell you all the same thing I told Emma after reading this...

You had my heart in your hands and my jaw in your lap

And it's the absolute truth. These characters had me. The. Whole. Time.
Angela
Apr 30, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
Here's the thing:

Sometimes, you hear an idea, and it's so genius, you wish you came up with it.

That's all I'll say for now, except to say that Emma Trevayne's debut novel is the kind you'll want to read in one sitting, and her execution is elegant and compelling.

Read this one as soon as possible, people. I promise you won't regret it.

Originally read June 2011
Rereading for its release, April 2013

Quick thoughts, post re-read: I really love everything about this book. Nothing is too easy, th
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {man, he never had a chance}
In a world where music is a drug

I'm drawn to the door. I can't hear it yet, but I can feel it.

A rebellion sparks to life underneath a post-apocalyptic, dead city.

We use that we have. What we can find, build, break, and deform into the things we need.

Anthem, a barely-adult conduit power source for the villainous government known as The Corp, tries to provide as a stable a life as he can for his brother and sister.
But how stable can your life be when you have to explain music like you're in a bad
Maud
Apr 09, 2015 Maud rated it it was ok
If you love music as much as Emma Trevayne obviously does, I think that this will be a cool read for you.
If you are someone like me, who doesn't care all that much about music, you might think this book is just okayish.
There are lots of paragraphs that describe how the music feels, flows and sounds. If you love music, this might be a thing that you recognise and appreciate. To me though, it felt boring. I do like music but I don't care enough about it that I could describe it in the same way tha
Brie
Mar 17, 2013 Brie rated it it was amazing
Two years ago, Emma sent me the prologue to CODA. At the time, it was simply a few pages in a gdoc with a note, "hey do you like this?" Now, it's 2013, and here I am leaving a review on her real, life BOOK.

I've now read this book twice. Once, in it's early stages as Emma was writing it and now, as an edited version in book form. I loved the book when I read it the first time. Now, I adore it.

I know, you're thinking, "well you're her friend, so of course you're going to be biased about how good
Meredith Barnes
Nov 03, 2012 Meredith Barnes rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most amazing books I've ever read--somehow both a high-stakes cyber thriller a la THE MATRIX and a sophisticated look at human nature and love (ENDER'S GAME comes to mind insofar as it looks at power dynamics, anti-heroes, and IMPOSSIBLY complicated and life-or-death choices).

All of this while incorporating a heartrending romance (oh, the twists), LGBT themes, and the cool factor that comes from having a main character who's the front man for a rock band.

And how about that COV
Jasi
In Anthem's Welt ist es verboten Musik zu machen. Der Staat benutzt die codierte Musik als Droge um die Bevölkerung ruhig zu stellen und ihnen vorzugaukeln dass sie zufrieden sind. Im Geheimen schließt sich Anthem der Band von Johnny an, doch dieser wird am Anfang des Buches vom Kon, der das Land regiert, ermordet. Die Bandmitglieder beschließen sich gegen den Staat und deren korruptes System zu stellen, in dem sie mit ihren Songs an die Öffentlichkeit wagen. Sie mobilsieren ihre Fans und Anhäge ...more
Lyn *GLITTER VIKING*
I have no clue what is going on. I also have a big issue with the treatment of some of the characters in this novel.

DNF.
Jordan
Mar 15, 2015 Jordan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

3/5, c'est un peu juste, me direz-vous... Assez bizarrement, je n'arrive pas à monter à 3,5 alors que le 3/5 que j'attribue à CODA est très solide, en fait. Ok, je reconnais être super paradoxal mais, en même temps, CODA me laisse avec tellement de sentiments différents que j'ai un peu de mal à faire le tri. Je m'explique.

J'ai mis énormément de temps à complètement entrer dans l'histoire. Les 150 premières pages sont hyper lentes. Vraiment. Je n'arrivais n
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 27, 2013 Dark Faerie Tales rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: A pretty amazing story with a unique world, wonderful lyrical prose, and characters that will blow you away.

Opening Sentence: I’m drawn toward the door.

The Review:

Michelle
Posted on Dark Faerie Tales.

Many of my friends have been talking about Emma Trevayne’s Coda. Most loved the story, falling in love with the characters and their journey. I was excited when Coda released, because this meant that I could potentially fall in love also. The story behind Trevayne’s Coda is one like many aspiring authors, but in this case the dream came true. Not only is Coda an amazing read, but it has turned into one of my favorites for the year. Let me gush a little more so you ca
Risbee
Oct 07, 2013 Risbee rated it really liked it
So, I remember when Ms. Trevayne first announced that Coda was going to be published. I was so completely excited for her as I am when any of my "book friends" make that announcement. That's what we're all here for right? New stories filled with amazing words?

But now I'm going to let you in on a teeny tiny little secret -- I get very nervous reading books by people that I know, be it online or in real life. I mean think about it -- it can be a little scary when you know the author and the author
Cyndy Aleo
Jan 03, 2015 Cyndy Aleo rated it it was amazing
So here's the thing: Emma Trevayne's Coda will probably seem very familiar to readers of dystopian novels and movies. You have the secret knowledge banned by a totalitarian government, a la The Giver. You have a society totally reliant on the workings of a giant computer network powered by human energy, like The Matrix. And you have the main character who's doing something subversive and sparking a movement, much like... well... just about every dystopian thing ever.

And yet I sat down and read C
Trinity
Apr 28, 2013 Trinity rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2013
This is a book I definitely want to read again, ASAP. The last time that happened, I'd just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I wish I had something poetic & articulate to say right now. I don't; nothing is as beautiful as the words Emma poured into this beautiful book.

I think Caren said it best. The characters had me. I can't wait to buy this book for all of my friends, tell them to read it, and then smile smugly at them when they flail just as much as I did. For once, I will enjoy
Jacqueline Oestringer
Songs of Revolution - Musikverrückte aufgepasst ;)

die Autorin:

Emma Trevayne ist hauptberuflich Schriftstellerin, sie steckt aber fast genauso viel Zeit und Liebe in ihre Musiksammlung und ihre Hobbys Fotografie und Programmiersprachen. Sie hat bereits in Kanada, Großbritannien und den USA gelebt. Online findet man sie unter der Adresse www.emmatrevayne.com oder auf Twitter unter @EMentior.

Klappentext:

Anthem ist 18 Jahre alt und er will eigentlich nur eins: echte Musik machen. Doch er lebt in ei
Dahlia
Dec 25, 2015 Dahlia marked it as dnf
I know I'm not going to finish this book, but this isn't a bad dnf; it's just not my genre at all, and it's too slow and quiet to be an exception for me. BUT, I don't wanna remove it from my shelves entirely, because I really appreciate it as an example of a bi boy in YA and in genre, who's already out and already comfortable with his sexuality. For that reason I'll alone I happily recommend it often.
Scott Neigh
Some clever aspects, but it didn't really work for me.

The premise is a post-collapse/post-apocalypse mini-state on the island of Manhatten -- it's not clear if any of the rest of the world exists or not -- that has a directly corporate government that controls the population through music that is digitally encoded to be a drug that pacifies and, over the years, kills. The protagonists, not surprisingly, start of as performers of illicit unencoded music. There are some modestly clever aspects to
Anna
Know that I absolutely loved this book, and you should all buy it as soon as it's available.

For now that is all I will offer. I will be buying it and rereading it as soon as someone will let me pay money for it.
Bel Watson
Aug 01, 2014 Bel Watson rated it really liked it
I give full recognition to such a great idea, however, I never really felt hooked. I read it because it was a recommendation and I know it's the first in a series but I don't feel like I'll read the next one. The ending is really good, closed enough as to leave it there.
I can't say I fell in love with any of the characters, which is a pity. Probably that's why I never felt that need to read it and I spent almost two months without touching it after I started it.
One thing I loved was how the ch
Cynthia

(Find the original review at Jellyfish Reads.)

Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

Coda is stunning.

It has a tremendous cast of characters, a breathtaking plot, and most of all, it's a love song to music itself. It's about the freedom that creative expression brings us. It's about addiction, set in a world where the government uses music as a drug to control its citizens. It's about love and family and sacrifice.

Trevayne's writing style is so lyrical and subtle and absorbing. Everything she describes is so
Jessica Bronder
Jul 11, 2013 Jessica Bronder rated it it was amazing
In this world, music controls everything and the government controls the music. There are many levels of people from the president and other executives that run everything to conduits that are plugged into the main frame and life sucked out of them to power everything. The only escape is the music that the government requires you to use. But it’s not regular music as we know it, it has encoding in it to be used as pain killers, downers, uppers, and anything in between. The one rule is that there ...more
Mary (BookHounds)
MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

Anthem lives in a post-apocalyptic New York, where music is used as a drug and the citizens are addicted to the sounds much like soma in Brave New World. It keeps the population malleable and in line while keeping the rich in power and the poor as worker drones. The world building happens quite quickly as you as dragged into a world that is both familiar and alien at the same time. Anthem works as a human generator, using his life as a means to power the city and government an
Though a little rough to get into at first, Coda begins with an interesting premise and sort of stream of consciousness style that could really connect with post modern readers. Citizen N4003, or Anthem as he's tagged himself, goes to the clubs and "tracks" privately like all good citizens overseen by the Corp, but he's never heard real music, no one has. The Corp controls music creation and embeds mind altering code into the tracks. The lower the citizens are on the social/political scale, the ...more
Rachael
Jun 14, 2013 Rachael rated it really liked it
Rating Clarification: 4.5 / 5

With so many dystopian books out there, it’s definitely hard to find one that’s both original and well-written. CODA, however, is one of those books, and however cliche it might sound, so much more!

The best thing about the book was its originality and integration of music. The book is set in a futuristic and desolate land, in which the government controls the population with music tracks, which eventually deteriorate the citizens and make them addicted. To keep them
Lillian Hong
Jan 04, 2014 Lillian Hong rated it it was ok
When the book starts, you are guaranteed to going to be confused; it dumps you straight into its world with very little explanations as to what its strange little terms and so on mean. Many books do this, and they do it well; either they explain right then and there, or they subtly explain throughout the characters' interactions. This book, however, is not one of them. It's gonna take you a few chapters into it before you start to understand what the fuck is going on, and that is an automatic "W ...more
Kylie
May 25, 2013 Kylie rated it it was amazing
I was very impressed with this novel. 4 1/2 stars more than 5.

First of all, the premise was exciting. Different enough to make you think, but also believable. I found similarities in the concept of sound being used to control people to the concept of colour being used in a similar manner from one of my favourite books, Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. Even with these similarities, you weren't sitting there feeling that you had heard it all before, or that you knew exactly what was going to happe
Evelyn
Jul 14, 2013 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Imagine a world where you no longer have the freedom to choose what music you want to listen to. Imagine that music ending up being a drug of sorts. Imagine having all kinds of chips inserted into your body for various reasons. This is what Anthem has to do deal with as he struggles to take care of his twin brother and sister as his dad is unable to do so and their mother is dead.

I was not sure if I would like this book or not but got it as a freebie from the American Library Conference in June
Evey
Jul 18, 2014 Evey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, dystopie
Je viens juste de terminer le roman et je n'ai qu'une chose a dire OUAHHH!!! Ce roman est un véritable coup de cœur.
Malgré un début un peu long qui est justifié par la complexité du monde de "Coda" ce roman m'a emporté rapidement.
L'univers est complexe mais bien expliqué et si dans un premier temps je me sentais perdue une fois les bases acquises ont n'a plus qu'à se laisser porter par les mots. J'ai adoré le rôle de la musique dans ce roman. J'ai trouve ingénieux le mode de fonctionnement de l
What's The Name o...: A book with the cover the has ear buds on it [s] 6 45 Mar 31, 2014 02:50PM
  • The Culling (The Torch Keeper, #1)
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • Half Lives
  • Vengeance Bound
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • The Color of Rain
  • Diverse Energies
  • Bruised
  • Acid
  • Stranger (The Change, #1)
  • Pantomime (Micah Grey, #1)
  • Liberty
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • Marco Impossible
  • Proxy (Proxy, #1)
  • Willful Machines
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
Science fiction and fantasy author of novels for kids and teens.
More about Emma Trevayne...

Coda (2 books)
  • Chorus (Coda #2)

“Maybe anger only needs the right melody, the right rhythm to be beautiful.” 7 likes
“We've lost so much. We might lose more. But for now I can sit here, under the trees and sky, and pull music from the strings.” 3 likes