Knitted Socks East and West: 30 Designs Inspired by Japanese Stitch Patterns

Knitted Socks East and West: 30 Designs Inspired by Japanese Stitch Patterns

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In Knitted Socks East and West, author Judy Sumner compares knitting a sock to writing a haiku: both challenge you to create something beautiful and original within a sparse, strict format. In this, her first book, she recounts how she came to study hundreds of exquisite Japanese stitch patters and then apply her new knowledge to the sock designs showcased here.

Whether sho...more
Published September 11th 2012 by STC Craft | Melanie Falick Books (first published 2009)

Lauren
For the passionate sock knitter, this book is a must. It contains beautiful patterns, adapted and inspired by Japanese stitch dictionaries and charts. Sumner uses several weights of yarn throughout the book(there is even a pair of socks in Manos del Uruguay in this book... which may not be the best wearability/durability choice, but still pretty!). The majority of socks are constructed top-down and include many notes and full charts.

I cast on for the Fan Tabi socks and realized soon after that...more
M

I received this book as a gift, and it is great. The pictures are beautiful and styled in a great way.

The projects come in a variety of yarn thicknesses and styles, from fingering weight to worsted and anklets to legwarmers, so there's bound to be something you'd want to knit. The projects are lovely, and with some techniques I'd never seen before (but I am still a new knitter).

The patterns seems fairly clear; they are both charted and written out. I'm one for always adjusting the pattern so the...more
Daisy
Jan 05, 2011 Daisy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
Pretty photographs and new skills to learn. This was a splurge (like I need any more sock knitting books) but oh well.
Colleen
I got some serious SSS (Second Sock Syndrome) with this book. The patterns are beautiful, but don't hold my interest the way I had hoped they would. Also, if you are not using the "suggested" yarn, it is sometimes hard to figure out what kind of yarn to use and how much is needed. I had to research the yarns on Ravelry before I knew what weight to use and how much yardage I would need.
Sara
Judy was a facebook friend who designed the first pair of socks that I ever knit. She was upbeat and friendly and helped so many people in their knitting journeys. I was sad to watch her fight with cancer and sad to hear that she had lost. I am glad that I was able to purchase a copy of her book and will treasure it - and knit some of there for my Japan-crazy daughter!
Ifurita
This is definitely an interesting sock book. The exotic pattern stitches are eye-opening. I find some of the designs too impractical for me, but overall there are a lot of patterns I wouldn't mind making. The lack of sizing options is something of a drawback, though.
Kate
Gorgeous patterns. Good for people who are not fans of knitting from the toe up; all but two or three of the patterns are toe up socks. Definitely want to try a few of these.
Kristine
I would have liked to see more closeups of the stitch patterns, with the unique japanese stitches used. Tsunami had some cool stitches in it.
Tera
Tera added it
Jul 17, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Jul 09, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Monet
Monet added it
Jun 03, 2014
Alexandra Allen
Alexandra Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Keiko Dagirl
Keiko Dagirl marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Marcella
Marcella marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Kristine (fezabel)
Kristine (fezabel) marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Catie
Catie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014