Start by marking “The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the NHL and Changed the Game Forever” as Want to Read:
The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the NHL and Changed the Game Forever

The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the NHL and Changed the Game Forever

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Two decades of lockouts, soaring ticket prices, and on-ice tinkering have convinced many hard-core fans that the NHL’s long-time commissioner Gary Bettman is the devil in disguise, but this book examines his motivations, peels back his often prickly demeanor, and explains how he manages to lead, confound, and keep order. It details the unlikely ascension of a fatherless Je ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Triumph Books

To ask other readers questions about The Instigator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Instigator

Derek Donais
Dec 30, 2012 Derek Donais rated it really liked it
It seems people either love him or hate him. And with the NHL lockout heading past the ninety-day mark and into the Christmas holidays, I thought it was time to look at the biography of Gary Bettman, the man who began this latest war between professional hockey players and team owners with the third lockout in league history.

The book, entitled The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the League and Changed the Game Forever, is informative and offers a good deal of insight into the figure—hero to
Katherine
Apr 08, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it
Gary Bettman has often been described as the most reviled man in Canada. After reading this even-handed biography, I have to admit, I no longer revile him. I now kinda admire him.

This was a very readable book, with lots of information about specific teams (the Phoenix Coyote and return of the Winnipeg Jets, stories that matter to me, are well covered). The business behind the NHL was interesting and easy to understand for a non-business person like me.

I recommended this book to my husband, who
Andrew
Jan 23, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hockey, non-fiction
Jonathon Gatehouse's “The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the NHL and Changed the Game Forever” is a strange hybrid of a book. Not truly a biography, not quite a sports book, and not really a business book, it combines those different non-fiction genres into an informative, easy-to-read book.

The author of this book realizes that in order to understand the game of professional hockey as it exists today, you must understand where it was before the current commissioner took over. In order to un
Joe
Nov 26, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing

An intriguing read about the man hockey fans seem to hate. Reading more about him will help you better understand him, but you may still curse while reading it.
Al Larese
Dec 03, 2012 Al Larese rated it it was amazing
A fair and balanced look at the reign of the NHL commissioner, as well as a comprehensive look at the league's finances.
Erick Souliere
Sep 29, 2012 Erick Souliere rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
very interesting, surprising at times and i don't hate the guy as much anymore
Richard
Sep 26, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it
I have booed Gary Bettman and would do so again. I'm not alone. As a former fan, I don't like what the league did to the Blues in the 90's and I don't like what Gary Bettman did to the sport during his (ongoing) tenure.

The author presents what seems to be a pretty complete and fair picture of Bettman and the league. Sometimes he can be viewed as a good guy, sometimes as a bad guy. The book really helped me understand the league dynamics both before and after Bettman arrived. Agree with his visio
Henrik Löfqvist
Feb 25, 2014 Henrik Löfqvist rated it liked it
Interesting, in-depth and informative. A bit heavy on the factuals at times, specifically regarding contracts, annual revenue, escrow and so on, but certainly worth a read if you follow the NHL.
Lysle Barmby
Jan 31, 2013 Lysle Barmby rated it really liked it
I understand the man a whole lot more! Worth the read.
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Abby
Abby rated it it was ok
May 17, 2016
Richard Latham
Richard Latham marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Marc Sebens
Marc Sebens marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Buzzy
Buzzy rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Rat
Rat added it
Dec 11, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Brent Venton
Brent Venton marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Brian Beitz
Brian Beitz marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Jim Kearns
Jim Kearns rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Joseph Corti
Joseph Corti marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Priscilla Leung
Priscilla Leung marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Dana Mcnamara
Dana Mcnamara rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014
James Cedergren
James Cedergren rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Greg Ojard
Greg Ojard rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014