Start by marking “The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the NHL and Changed the Game Forever” as Want to Read:
The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the NHL and Changed the Game Forever

The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the NHL and Changed the Game Forever

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Two decades of lockouts, soaring ticket prices, and on-ice tinkering have convinced many hard-core fans that the NHL’s long-time commissioner Gary Bettman is the devil in disguise, but this book examines his motivations, peels back his often prickly demeanor, and explains how he manages to lead, confound, and keep order. It details the unlikely ascension of a fatherless Je...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Triumph Books

To ask other readers questions about The Instigator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Instigator

Derek Donais
It seems people either love him or hate him. And with the NHL lockout heading past the ninety-day mark and into the Christmas holidays, I thought it was time to look at the biography of Gary Bettman, the man who began this latest war between professional hockey players and team owners with the third lockout in league history.

The book, entitled The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the League and Changed the Game Forever, is informative and offers a good deal of insight into the figure—hero to...more
Katherine
Gary Bettman has often been described as the most reviled man in Canada. After reading this even-handed biography, I have to admit, I no longer revile him. I now kinda admire him.

This was a very readable book, with lots of information about specific teams (the Phoenix Coyote and return of the Winnipeg Jets, stories that matter to me, are well covered). The business behind the NHL was interesting and easy to understand for a non-business person like me.

I recommended this book to my husband, who...more
Joe

An intriguing read about the man hockey fans seem to hate. Reading more about him will help you better understand him, but you may still curse while reading it.
Al Larese
A fair and balanced look at the reign of the NHL commissioner, as well as a comprehensive look at the league's finances.
Erick Souliere
very interesting, surprising at times and i don't hate the guy as much anymore
Richard
I have booed Gary Bettman and would do so again. I'm not alone. As a former fan, I don't like what the league did to the Blues in the 90's and I don't like what Gary Bettman did to the sport during his (ongoing) tenure.

The author presents what seems to be a pretty complete and fair picture of Bettman and the league. Sometimes he can be viewed as a good guy, sometimes as a bad guy. The book really helped me understand the league dynamics both before and after Bettman arrived. Agree with his visio...more
Henrik Löfqvist
Interesting, in-depth and informative. A bit heavy on the factuals at times, specifically regarding contracts, annual revenue, escrow and so on, but certainly worth a read if you follow the NHL.
Lysle Barmby
I understand the man a whole lot more! Worth the read.
Sydney Stype
Sydney Stype marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Adam Young
Adam Young marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Laura added it
Apr 27, 2014
Dave Rosenberg
Dave Rosenberg marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Frankie
Frankie marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
dini
dini marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the NHL and Changed the Game Forever The Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the League and Changed the Game Forever UC Instigator Death on Everest (A Maclean's Big Read) Maclean's on Barack Obama (A Maclean's Book)