The Museum

The Museum

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  58 reviews
When I see a work of art, something happens in my heart!
As a little girl tours and twirls through the halls of the art museum, she finds herself on an exciting adventure. Each piece of art evokes something new inside of her: silliness, curiosity, joy, and ultimately inspiration. When confronted with an empty white canvas, she is energized to create and express herself—wh...more
Published March 12th 2013 by Abrams Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 2013)

Patricia Tilton
“When I see a work of art, something happens in my heart. I cannot stifle my reaction. My body just goes into action.”

Synopsis: A spirited girl visits a museum and is moved by the artwork she views. Much to her delight, each painting evokes a different emotional response. There is an unexpected encounter around every corner. She twirls to the swirls in Van Gogh’s Starry Night. She strikes ballet poses, yoga postures, skips through fields of flowers and pauses to ponder Rodin’s The Thinker. Picas...more
Carol
A young patron of a museum expresses how various works of art make her feel. Whether it be "twirly-whirly" or "sad and blue" the art effects her in different ways. Then at the end of her museum tour she discovers a large blank canvas which at first confuses her then leads her to the realization that it can be her very own creation! Discovering that she too can create art just may be cause for the most excitement of the day! Susan Verde's charming rhymed tale is complemented by Peter Reynolds' ex...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
A little girl takes a tour of a museum, and each work of art gives her a different feeling. The rhyming lines help to evoke the feelings each work of art is meant to express. Featuring colorful re-creations of works by Edgar Degas, Vincent van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, and Auguste Rodin, this book also serves to introduce your child to the work of great artists.

Anna C. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

Erin
This book opens with the line "When I see a work of art, something happens in my heart! ". This line gives you a feel of what to expect in the pages ahead. In the story we are taken on an exciting journey throughout a museum of art by a girl full of energy and emotion.

Throughout the pages our young guide twirls and whirls from various work of arts and shares what feelings they invoke within her. Emotions such as curiosity, joy, elation, and hunger! As well, as actions such as making silly faces...more
Mymcbooks
My Review: The author tells a story about a young girl's love for art as she encounters several paintings in an art museum.

When she comes across a painting with a dancer standing on her tippy-toes she does the same. And when she came across a sad painting it made her feel sad and blue, heavy and lonely. And she skipped when she came across a field of flowers painting.

As she looke...more
Tasha
Verde captures the energizing nature of a visit to an art museum. Told in first-person verse, the young female protagonist dances and spins through the gallery, drawing inspiration and emotion from the art around her. As she moves to a new piece of art, it evokes a new reaction that is entirely in keeping with the art in front of her. Finally, faced with a blank white canvas, she discovers that her own mind starts to fill in the art on its own. As she leaves the museum at the end of the day, her...more
Shelli
My family often attends various museums, or stops to notice beautiful paintings, illustrations, or works of art. I never like when people try and find meaning in a paint splatter, but I do love to pause and think about how the piece affects me. The first line in this book describes that perfectly “When I see a work of art, something happen in my heart.” This is said by a young girl as she roams a museum enjoying all the various art mediums. Some pieces make her feel silly, thoughtful, sad, alarm...more
Chris
If you liked Peter H. Reynolds' THE DOT, you'll like this children's book too. Reynolds' lively, quirky illustrations---lush with allusions to famous classical works of art---complement Susan Verde's text the tells of a young girl's enthusiastic encounters with several paintings in an art museum. The opening line, "When I see a work of art, something happens in my heart," sets the tone for her joyful dance and prance through the museum.

This is no-brainer stock for any museum that expects to draw...more
michelle abeln
The Museum opens with the line, "When I see a work of art, something happens in my heart". This perfectly illustrates the feelings of the little girl who is our sprited guide through a museum filled with the vibrant works of Picasso, Van Gogh, Degas and others. The rhyming text skillfully depicts the girl's emotional and physical responses to the paintings and sculptures she sees. When she comes to an empty canvas, she's initially confused, but soon realizes she can create her own wonderful work...more
Barbara
Drawing inspiration from famous paintings and sculptures, a young girl wanders through an art museum. As she makes note of the works of others, she feels energized and as though she can see the world around her differently. My favorite scene occurs when she comes upon an empty canvas and must look within to fill it with her own imaginings. This is a great title for an art class but also a good one to encourage youngsters to look more carefully at the world around them. For those who regard museu...more
Snorkle
I picked this book up for the illustrations. Reynolds is one of my favorite contemporary illustrators of Children’s books. The story had a good sentiment, I just have that big of a reaction from it. I liked that the little girl appreciated the museum and I think other museum lovers will relate to this book. people who have a great appreciation for museums will like this story. And even though I’m one of those people, this book still wasn’t an instant favorite.

*Taken from My Sentiments Exactly!:...more
Peter
I loved the text when I read it in one of my workshops. Susan's story immediately came to life in my mind and I could not wait to start drawing and painting. I love this book because it urges kids (and grown up kids) to FEEL the art - not just walk through a museum and look. AND it encourages us all to be inspired to create, use of imaginations, and savor life beyond the walls of the museum. I knew that The Museum would become a great companion book to my Creatrilogy series - The Dot, Ish, Sky C...more
Holly
I could completely relate to the little girl in this book. I love museums, and the illustrations, especially, showed how art can inspire you. Students can have fun learning about the famous pieces in the book.
Paula
Art, inspiration, emotion, creativity. Picture book for elementary students.
Liz
This sweet book really gets you thinking...creatively! The opening line: "When I see a work of art, something happens in my heart." A journey through the museum and a look at several "famous works," not all of which I could name but sort of recognize, and how the art makes you react. It leads to a blank canvas that can be imagined into almost anything. I like the end pages, too. The beginning pages have filled art frames, the end is blank frames. I will buy this one! :-)
Sandy Brehl
Lots of pluses in this one: rhyming text that works well in most cases; linking art with evocative emotions; challenging creativity and involvement; presentation of an art museum as an interactive experience.
My frustration is that the embedded art alludes to iconic works by well-known masters, but there is no back matter or other reference chart to help young readers identify and learn more about them. Adults who share the book would appreciate that, too, in my opinion.
Pamela
This is a wonderful introduction to what art is! I wish my first visit to an art museum was like this!

Art should make us feel something and want to create. So often our first look at art is in an art appreciation class that tells us why we should like a painting or sculpture. This book tells us we don’t have to be so prim and proper about art work.

Hooray to Susan and Peter for sharing the emotion of art with children of all ages!
Kim
While I enjoyed this book for what it was, I felt that the pictures were too sparse. There could have been more background paintings, but the ones featured were recognizable as their famous counterparts. It would have been nice to have a list of those paintings' artists in the back of the book for the grown ups. The light verse flows and keeps you flowing. Only thing I don't get is why this child is barefoot.
Amy
Classically illustrated in Peter Reynold's unique style. Girl visits a museum and is excited and thrilled with all she sees - recognizable famous art. She is inspired to create and fill her own blank canvas. When she leaves, she realizes that the love of the art is held within herself. Great recommendation for art teachers! A must-read to accompany Reynold's other creativity-themed books. International Dot Day!
Kristina Lareau
I really enjoyed this book! Generally I dislike rhyming picturebooks, but this one had such well-executed rhymes that it was actually a pleasure to read. Peter Reynolds's watercolors were dynamic and whimsical and never overwhelmed the page. My favorite part of the book is actually the endpages. The beginning endpapers has framed art and the ending endpapers have empty frames. It is awesome.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-1st grade
Travel: to the art museum!

The reader follows a girl as she frolics through an art museum. Each piece of art inspires a flurry of emotions that she cannot contain. Great vocabulary, use of real artwork, and fun rhymes make this stand out amongst other picture books that celebrate the museum. It would be fun for a family to replicate her actions when they visit a museum.
Tj Shay
I love this book so much! Susan Verde and Peter H. Reynolds are the perfect combination as they have a shared love of creativity and wonder. This will be a perfect companion to Peter H. Reynolds "Creatrilogy" set consisting of "The Dot," "Ish," and "Sky Color." The art in this book is some of Peter's best work to day and it helps Susan Verde's remarkable words to complete perfection.
Mary Ann
With playful glee, this picture book celebrates the joyful inspiration children can draw from a trip to the museum. As the young girl sees different paintings, she reacts with movement, dance and emotions. She spins when faced with Van Gogh's Starry Night: "Now I'm all twirly-whirly, twinkly, sparkly, super swirly.” Reynolds’ illustrations will bring a smile to your face.
Paul Reynolds
If you're introducing children to art and art museums, this story delivers the exuberance and vitality around the JOY of artistic self-expression. It not only honors existing works of art - but is a generous invitation for children (and grown up children) to make their own mark on the world! Thank you Peter & Susan!
Samantha
A rhyming tour through the many emotions that various works of art bring out in a young child.

Watercolor illustrations recreate a number of masterpieces and the text does a great job of inciting interest in the subject of art making this a good introduction for young readers.

A great read aloud that inspires.
Jodie
Fun text that talks about a girls reaction to art in a museum. She is able to fill her head with her own ideas that she can put onto a blank canvas. Art lives within us is the message of this book. I really enjoyed the story and the illustrations. Great way to introduce a group to art at the start of the year.
Andrea
very much enjoyed it. only question is...where are her shoes? she's walking around a museum without shoes on. what? "mommy why do I have to wear shoes..she isn't".

aside from this weird observation, great read aloud. great way for parents to share their love of art with their children.
Cassie
"When I see a work of art, something happens in my heart. I cannot stifle my reaction. My body just goes into action."

A little girl tours a museum and is inspired by all of the works of art lining the halls. This would be great to read just before a trip to a museum.
Gigi
This book made me happy just looking at it. The illustrations by Peter H. Reynolds (illustrator of The Dot) are whimsical and fun. This story demonstrates that art is in the eye of the beholder and a blank canvas can hold so many possibilities.
Karen Arendt
Cute story about how museums and their art make us think and feel. When the girl sees a blank canvas at the end of the book she is at first confused but then imagines her own art. Peter Reynold's art is light and airy.
  • Inside Outside