The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya #5)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  466 ratings  ·  16 reviews
What Haruhi wants, Haruhi gets!

Stunning, brash, and completely clueless about her powers, Haruhi Suzumiya can make anything bend to her will. Although she doesn't know it, she's a goddess who has the ability destroy the world--don't make her mad! Luckily, she has her SOS Brigade (a club comprised of her high school's most extraordinary students) to keep her happy.

This fi...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published September 30th 2004)

Dave B.
The three short stories were all pretty good. The last story in the volume, Snowy Mountain Syndrome, was especially good, a very engaging page turner. However, much like Endless Eight (the first story in the book), it felt like the solution came rather quickly and really abruptly. There was some fantastic buildup, and the questions raised really help to advance the series, but the short-term situation resolved quite easily, making the ending of it kind of a letdown. But still, it was a good volu...more
Kaitlin
The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya gets its four stars if only for the third story in the book. But, I get ahead of myself. This installation in the Haruhi series is made up of three shorter stories that take place in between some of the novel-length light novels.

The first story, "Endless Eight," occurs after the summer trip but before the filming for the cultural festival. It is no where near as obnoxious as the fans of the anime may expect it would be. It's a good story and it begins to fill in so...more
Sean O'Hara
When I finished The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, I found myself with a problem. I was excited to find out what happens next: How does Yuki deal with her actions? What happens when Kyon goes back in time to save himself? How do the other Brigade members react to Kyon's experience. But the English translation of the fifth book wouldn't be out for another week -- and then it'd be another six months for the volume after that. Meanwhile, books 10 and 11 just came out in Japan last month, but at...more
Kyle
Because I had already watched the anime of the Haruhi Suzumiya series, I had a bit of background knowledge going into this book. Needless to say, I had accidentally picked up the fifth novel in the series, without reading the previous four. Whoops. I read it anyway...

So in this fifth volume, the book is divided into three stories: Endless Eight, The Day of Sagittarius, and Snowy Mountain Syndrome.
I guess the first two stories were to add on to the previous novels, while the latter story furthere...more
Jenny
OMG, I have finally finished this book. I really don't like reading the short story novels, but at the same time, it's a nice break from reading something really long.

Okay, so I'll review each individual story in here:

Endless Eight: Probably one of my favorites. I really like time travel kind of stuff and it was interesting to find out how many times they've relived the summer and how even in the past they tried to change it but couldn't. They do eventually stop this re-wounding of time though....more
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
This is probably one of the best books in the series. It's a collection of short stories like other volumes, but these catch more of the essence of the reality warping that the series is known for. They aren't trivial either, with some real danger to the protagonists.

The gang deals with a summer vacation that just won't end, a war with the rival computer society, and being trapped in a strange mansion during a blizzard. All are quite good, and this volume's focus seems to be on Yuki. The first s...more
James
The fifth volume of the series contains three short stories: "Endless Eight", "The Day of Sagittarius", and "Snowy Mountain Syndrome".

"Endless Eight" covers eight days towards the end of the summer holidays as Haruhi endeavours to have an exciting summer, while Kyon suffers from an increasing sense of déjà vu. It turns out that the SOAS Brigade are trapped in the 15498th iteration of the eight days and the only way to break the loop is for Kyon to do his homework.

"The Day of Sagittarius" cover...more
Leif
This book features the Endless Eight that everyone hated so much in the show. I have to say, that I never had a problem with it (since I didn't watch it as it aired) and the story doesn't have all of the tedium of the anime arc. That said, I think I prefer the anime version of that story since it gives a better sense of the horror that that time period represents. In the written story, we only see the final iteration, and we get some small sense of why this period might be boring to Nagato, bu...more
Edward
The story telling is not that great. It lacks many things but I let it go since I know that the book is not originally written in English. I enjoyed some parts though.
Deadwish
Reseña completa en mi blog:

Tres historias interesantes, de diferente estilo, todas con cierta tendencia a tener a Nagato en el centro de la atención (aunque no siempre de la solución). Más allá de si aportan algo o no a la historia en general, sí lo hacen en cuanto a conocer a los personajes. Para ser historias inconexas, su nivel es bastante parejo. Bien por el autor.
Me divertí mucho leyendo este libro, pero el hecho de que sean historias cortas y no una...more
Abdulla
I started reading the book because I couldn't wait for the animated versions. I skimmed through 'Endless 8' & 'The Day of Sagittarius' since I'd seen them.
'Snowy Mountain Syndrome' was pretty cool. I liked the story and there was some more Nagato character building, as well as some hints dropped by Tsuruya. I'm pretty sure most Haruhi fans read this by now, but if you're not one and are looking for a series with nice dialogue, sci-fi and Japanese highschool kids shenanigans, this is it!
Final...more
Ashley Will
Fun read with three stories, one even contained some math which made me think a bit.
Mark Berger
Mostly pretty good, though I didn't really understand the point of "Snowy Mountain Syndrome", which seemed kind of random and didn't seem to explain itself well. I think Tanigawa may lose a point from me for that one, unless it's somehow tied in later on.
Curtiss W.
While not one of the better books in the series it was still very fun to read. The last story of the three was definitely the most entertaining of them. It still leaves me wondering what actually happened to them during that whole story.
Lucas Suárez
Lo mejor fue el 3er relato, que realmente me puso los pelos de punta, más aún con el pequeño remezón terráqueo que aconteció en el instante preciso en que leía el clímax.
Sadman
Sadman added it
Jul 20, 2014
Jamie Carr
Jamie Carr marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Pedro
Pedro added it
Jul 07, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Reuben Sweetman
Reuben Sweetman marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
  • Spice & Wolf, Book 2
  • Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime
  • Welcome to the N.H.K.
  • Zaregoto 1: Book 1: The Kubikiri Cycle
  • Gosick: The Novel (Gosick, #1)
  • Slayers - The Ruby Eye (Slayers, #1)
  • とらドラ!
  • Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
  • Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness
  • ソードアート・オンライン2: アインクラッド (Sword Art Online, #2)
  • Usurper of the Sun
  • Boogiepop And Others
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: The Vast Spread of the Seas (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Mask of Destiny (Billionaire, #3)
Nagaru Tanigawa (谷川 流 Tanigawa Nagaru)

Nagaru Tanigawa is a graduate of the Kwansei Gakuin University School of Law. In 2003, he won Kadokawa's Grand Prize for Literary World for his work on the Haruhi Suzumiya series.
More about Nagaru Tanigawa...
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #1) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #1) The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #4) The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #3) 涼宮ハルヒの溜息 (Haruhi Suzumiya, #2)