Start by marking “The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya” as Want to Read:
The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya #5)

What Haruhi wants, Haruhi gets!

Stunning, brash, and completely clueless about her powers, Haruhi Suzumiya can make anything bend to her will. Although she doesn't know it, she's a goddess who has the ability destroy the world--don't make her mad! Luckily, she has her SOS Brigade (a club comprised of her high school's most extraordinary students) to keep her happy.

This fi
Published September 4th 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published September 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya

Deadwish
Reseña completa en mi blog:

Tres historias interesantes, de diferente estilo, todas con cierta tendencia a tener a Nagato en el centro de la atención (aunque no siempre de la solución). Más allá de si aportan algo o no a la historia en general, sí lo hacen en cuanto a conocer a los personajes. Para ser historias inconexas, su nivel es bastante parejo. Bien por el autor.
Me divertí mucho leyendo este libro, pero el hecho de que sean historias cortas y no una
Dave B.
The three short stories were all pretty good. The last story in the volume, Snowy Mountain Syndrome, was especially good, a very engaging page turner. However, much like Endless Eight (the first story in the book), it felt like the solution came rather quickly and really abruptly. There was some fantastic buildup, and the questions raised really help to advance the series, but the short-term situation resolved quite easily, making the ending of it kind of a letdown. But still, it was a good volu ...more
Irene Lazlo
Los fans de Suzumiya Haruhi nos dividimos en partidarios y detractores del agosto infinito. Yo soy de los primeros. Esta es la novela en la que se cuenta el controvertido episodio pero solo pasa una vez (y no 8 como en el anime) por eso cualquiera podría disfrutarlo. La montaña nevada es el primero de los capitulos no adaptados al anime y me ha encantado leer algo que no supiera de antemano cómo iba a terminar.
Sean O'Hara
Jun 07, 2011 Sean O'Hara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I finished The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, I found myself with a problem. I was excited to find out what happens next: How does Yuki deal with her actions? What happens when Kyon goes back in time to save himself? How do the other Brigade members react to Kyon's experience. But the English translation of the fifth book wouldn't be out for another week -- and then it'd be another six months for the volume after that. Meanwhile, books 10 and 11 just came out in Japan last month, but at ...more
Anita
The fifth installment of the Haruhi Suzumiya universe light novel series is an anthology of three short stories, each preceded by a short preface. Once again told in the perspective of our lazy, high school boy with a streak of snarkiness, the narration is enjoyable and snort-worthy at times.

But I have to say that after the fourth book, I feel like Kyon’s lost a bit of his snark and has actually grown quite soft towards Haruhi. I don’t know whether to take that as a good sign or a bad one, but w
Anne Swartjes
Mar 22, 2015 Anne Swartjes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
*CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Before I start this review and voice my opinion on the fifth book in the series of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I have to admit that (on the recommendation of quite a dear friend of mine) I had already seen the anime series before I started reading the books. You might wonder why on earth I would feel obliged to say this. Because I had already seen the anime series, I already knew a great part of the book and that's why I am mostly focussing on the writing-style instead
Alex
Jul 20, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novels
Four stars for the first two stories but only three for the third - this left me a little unclear how to rate this volume since the third story is almost half the volume.

Endless Eight is received a notorious anime adaptation which in my mind was a stroke of genius. In the story the characters experience an endless time loop and live out the same scenario thousands of times. The anime showed the same episode with very minor tweaks (we're talking colour of swimming costumes minor) a whole eight ti
James
The fifth volume of the series contains three short stories: "Endless Eight", "The Day of Sagittarius", and "Snowy Mountain Syndrome".

"Endless Eight" covers eight days towards the end of the summer holidays as Haruhi endeavours to have an exciting summer, while Kyon suffers from an increasing sense of déjà vu. It turns out that the SOAS Brigade are trapped in the 15498th iteration of the eight days and the only way to break the loop is for Kyon to do his homework.

"The Day of Sagittarius" cover
Kyle
Jul 08, 2011 Kyle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Because I had already watched the anime of the Haruhi Suzumiya series, I had a bit of background knowledge going into this book. Needless to say, I had accidentally picked up the fifth novel in the series, without reading the previous four. Whoops. I read it anyway...

So in this fifth volume, the book is divided into three stories: Endless Eight, The Day of Sagittarius, and Snowy Mountain Syndrome.
I guess the first two stories were to add on to the previous novels, while the latter story furthere
Jenny
Nov 22, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
OMG, I have finally finished this book. I really don't like reading the short story novels, but at the same time, it's a nice break from reading something really long.

Okay, so I'll review each individual story in here:

Endless Eight: Probably one of my favorites. I really like time travel kind of stuff and it was interesting to find out how many times they've relived the summer and how even in the past they tried to change it but couldn't. They do eventually stop this re-wounding of time though.
D.M. Dutcher
Mar 07, 2013 D.M. Dutcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the best books in the series. It's a collection of short stories like other volumes, but these catch more of the essence of the reality warping that the series is known for. They aren't trivial either, with some real danger to the protagonists.

The gang deals with a summer vacation that just won't end, a war with the rival computer society, and being trapped in a strange mansion during a blizzard. All are quite good, and this volume's focus seems to be on Yuki. The first s
Kaitlin
Dec 25, 2011 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya gets its four stars if only for the third story in the book. But, I get ahead of myself. This installation in the Haruhi series is made up of three shorter stories that take place in between some of the novel-length light novels.

The first story, "Endless Eight," occurs after the summer trip but before the filming for the cultural festival. It is no where near as obnoxious as the fans of the anime may expect it would be. It's a good story and it begins to fill in so
Josef Hare
Aug 24, 2015 Josef Hare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haruhi novels come in the form of either short story compilations or traditional chapter-ed narraitve, the former has previously resulted in hit-and-miss reading experiences as Tanigawa struggles to balance slice-of-life and sci-fi, but I feel that Rampage, another compilation, finally gets the balance right after the more mediocre Boredom.
The stories in here are brilliant, they somehow manage to have almost as much grandeur as the Disappearance arc from the last book, but in smaller self-contai
Leif
Nov 24, 2012 Leif rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This book features the Endless Eight that everyone hated so much in the show. I have to say, that I never had a problem with it (since I didn't watch it as it aired) and the story doesn't have all of the tedium of the anime arc. That said, I think I prefer the anime version of that story since it gives a better sense of the horror that that time period represents. In the written story, we only see the final iteration, and we get some small sense of why this period might be boring to Nagato, ...more
Numan
Oct 10, 2014 Numan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This, and more specifically the short story "Snowy Mountain Syndrome", is by far the best of the series so far. Not only do we see the SOS Brigade coalescing into a kind of surrogate family, but, lo and behold, Suzumiya isn't totally annoying! In fact, she definitely takes a level in maturity during the final short story, since she shows genuine concern over one of the characters as opposed to just jostling for whatever fun she can find at the expense of everybody else's nerves. Plus it's nice t ...more
Adrian
May 16, 2016 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good series of stories in the haruhi series. Endless Eight in the light novel is much better and more concise than the anime's depiction of it though it lacks the impact that the anime made for all the wrong reasons. The Day of Sagittarius was brilliant. The computer club president is hilarious and the conflict between the SOS Brigade and the Computer Society came to a head in a video game. It was great. The last story Snowy Mountain Syndrome was alright. Unlike Remote Island Syndrome, ...more
Abdulla
Jun 02, 2012 Abdulla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading the book because I couldn't wait for the animated versions. I skimmed through 'Endless 8' & 'The Day of Sagittarius' since I'd seen them.
'Snowy Mountain Syndrome' was pretty cool. I liked the story and there was some more Nagato character building, as well as some hints dropped by Tsuruya. I'm pretty sure most Haruhi fans read this by now, but if you're not one and are looking for a series with nice dialogue, sci-fi and Japanese highschool kids shenanigans, this is it!
Final
Feather Mista
Hasta ahora, el libro más aburrido de la saga. Y diría que también el más innecesario, de no ser porque acá se tiran varias puntas de cosas importantes que van a pasar más cerca del final. Eso y una cuantas escenas que me causaron gracia hacen que promedie para arriba el que hasta ahora es el más donsoncincuentero tomo de la serie.
Diego
Dec 29, 2014 Diego rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally hit unchartered territory that wasn't in the anime! Although I have to see where it's going... I thought the math scene was unnecessary and the whole thing left me a little confused. Liked the Tsuruya development though :)
Carlos García
Nov 15, 2014 Carlos García rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novels
i agree with many of you when i say that in this volume the Snowy Mountain Syndrome Story is the best of the Three Endless Eight is not so good as i was expecting and in second i will say Day of Sagittarius was good too.
Luis Restrepo
Nov 17, 2014 Luis Restrepo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esperaba más extenso y cansado el arco de "Endless Eight", sin embargo cumplió su cometido. "Day of Sagittarius" resultó ser divertido a pesar de haber visto el anime anteriormente. Pero lo mejor fue "Snowy Mountain Syndrome" el cual espero sea el preludio de algo más grande.
Mark
Jun 12, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-novels, fantasy
Mostly pretty good, though I didn't really understand the point of "Snowy Mountain Syndrome", which seemed kind of random and didn't seem to explain itself well. I think Tanigawa may lose a point from me for that one, unless it's somehow tied in later on.
Curtiss W.
Oct 07, 2016 Curtiss W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not one of the better books in the series it was still very fun to read. The last story of the three was definitely the most entertaining of them. It still leaves me wondering what actually happened to them during that whole story.
Lucas Suárez
Oct 18, 2013 Lucas Suárez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lo mejor fue el 3er relato, que realmente me puso los pelos de punta, más aún con el pequeño remezón terráqueo que aconteció en el instante preciso en que leía el clímax.
Dony Grayman
Jan 01, 2016 Dony Grayman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-esp, zumado
Edición española, quinta novela, pronta a reeditarse.
Edward
Apr 18, 2014 Edward rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story telling is not that great. It lacks many things but I let it go since I know that the book is not originally written in English. I enjoyed some parts though.
Daniel
Nov 27, 2013 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
Endless Eight is one of my favorite stories, but it ended sooner than I had expected. This was a little disappointing.
Marina JC
3,5/5
Elena Lopez
Elena Lopez rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Hana Saigyou
Hana Saigyou rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 3
  • Book Girl and the Captive Fool (light novel)
  • デュラララ!! ×5
  • Zaregoto 1: Book 1: The Kubikiri Cycle
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 1
  • Welcome to the N.H.K.
  • Artificial Things
  • Gosick: The Novel (Gosick, #1)
Nagaru Tanigawa (谷川 流 Tanigawa Nagaru)

Nagaru Tanigawa is a graduate of the Kwansei Gakuin University School of Law. In 2003, he won Kadokawa's Grand Prize for Literary World for his work on the Haruhi Suzumiya series.
More about Nagaru Tanigawa...

Haruhi Suzumiya (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #1)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの溜息 (Haruhi Suzumiya, #2)
  • The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #3)
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #4)
  • The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #6)
  • The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #7)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨 (Haruhi Suzumiya, #8)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの分裂 (Haruhi Suzumiya, #9)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの驚愕 (前) (Haruhi Suzumiya, #10)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの驚愕 (後) (Haruhi Suzumiya, #11)

“Just think about it. We only get to experience a certain day of a certain year once in our lifetime. The same goes for today. Today will never come back once it’s gone. That’s why you’re obligated to live every day to the fullest so you have no regrets.” 1 likes