Nocover-blank-133x176
It Had to Be You

Jill Shalvis

It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor #7)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  4,438 ratings  ·  594 reviews
Ali Winters is not having a good day. Her boyfriend left her, everyone in town thinks she's a thief, and now she's about to be kicked out of her home. Her only shot at keeping a roof over her head and clearing her name is to beg for help from a police detective who's as sexy as he is stern.... After a high-profile case goes wrong, Luke Hanover returns to his hometown for s...more
Audio
Published May 28th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing

Lisa

4.5 Stars

“Didn’t see that coming.”

“Didn’t see what coming?”

“You.”

It Had to Be You by Jill Shalvis was yet another sweet, tender, funny and light-hearted addition to this wonderful contemporary romance series. This book made me laugh out loud, had me swooning over sexy Luke and definitely left me happily sighing when I finished. Once again this author made me fall deeply in love with her characters and this series. <3 <3 <3

description

description

No, she wasn’t okay, not even a little bit. She’d been unceremo...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

It Had to Be You, the latest addition to my Lucky Harbor addiction, further solidifies Jill Shalvis’ place on my list of top contemporary romance authors. Like all the books in the series, It Had to Be You is romantic, funny, and sexy, with a story that pulls you in and characters who keep you coming back for more, first page to the last.
On the Cover:

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus
WWHHHAAATTT???? WE GET MORE?!?!?! OHHH YEAAAHHHHH BUDDY!

Photobucket
Paula - Romantic Book Affairs

In case you weren’t aware – Jill Shalvis is one of my all-time favorite contemporary authors. She knows how to write sexy alpha heroes that make you weak in the knees. She excels at writing funny, lighthearted, exciting, and steamy romantic contemporaries that make me excited for her next book every time. And I can always count on Miz Shalvis to put a cheesy smile on my face, make me laugh out loud, and make me happily sigh as I fall in love with her characters.

Ali Winters has been completely s...more
Elizabeth (Liz)
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

GENRE: Adult Contemporary Romance
HEAT LEVEL: Medium
ANGST LEVEL: Drama free! This is a feel-good book!!
NOTE: This is book #7 in the Lucky Harbor series. It can be read as a stand-alone, but I always suggest reading the whole series.
RELEASE DATE: May 28, 2013

4.5 Stars!

I think I've said it before, but brace yourselves because I'm about to say it again. Jill Shalvis books are my comfort food. When I'm feeling off, feeling blue, feeling scared or worried...I gra...more
KatLynne
3.5 Stars

It Had To Be You brings us the story of Ali Winters and Detective Luke Hanover. Ali is warm and caring, always ready to offer a helping hand. She’s very optimistic but the latest events have her stressed and fraught with worry. Not only did her douchebag of a boyfriend dump her, but most of the town now believe she’s a thief. How could they not when all evidence points to her guilt.

Detective Luke Hanover is in need of a little R&R after a high profile case goes bad. After years of b...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Jill Shalvis' seventh addition to her Lucky Harbor series. Ali Winters works at the florist shop in Lucky Harbor and lives with boyfriend, Teddy Marshall. Well, she did until he texted her and told her they were through and the lease was expired on the rental house. And she discovers he was cheating on her. Then she discovers the owner of the rented house, Luke Hanover, has come home for some needed rest. Then the police want to arrest her for stealing 50K. And through it all Ali keeps her optim...more
Jenny E
More of the same from Jill Shalvis. I really liked her stories at first, but they're all the same. I spent the first quarter of this book trying to convince myself I hadn't read it already! It's always the florist/baker/spa girl and the cop/firefighter/doctor guy, one's a commitment-phobe and/or leaving soon with a messed up past and a poor-me or guilt-ridden attitude. I don't mind this plot, but now we're going on book 8 and it's getting old. Yeah, I think I'm done with Lucky Harbor.

Jillian
In theory, Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series should be an all-time favorite of mine. There's the requisite cozy and quirky small town setting, a liberal dose of humor in lieu of overwrought angst, adorable pets, and heroes who are strong and protective without being the scarily angry, controlling headcases who pass for "alphas" in many other series. So I keep trying to fall in love with these books, but am always left mysteriously underwhelmed. I think it primarily comes down to my just not connectin...more
Bri

I was starting to worry a little, Jill. The last book I read by you was a clear miss for me. Add in the fact that I've been getting tired of your tried and true plot formula and I thought perhaps our time together had run its course.

And then you gave me Luke.

And then I was happy.

Love, Bri

Above all else, I really truly loved both characters in this one. And not just the two main characters, but the secondary characters as well. One thing Jill does well is making those bromances real and...more
Jane Stewart
2 ½ stars. It was ok, but I wanted it to be over. That’s not a good sign.

The author had some good ideas and interesting characters. But when it came to filling in 300 pages, it just wasn’t special enough. At the end a small thing bothered me because it was predictable.

(view spoiler)...more
Anne OK
Another fun-to-read addition to the Lucky Harbor series from Jill Shalvis. Though not my favorite of the lot, it's always an easy and delightful visit with a town full of great characters. Luke and Ali clicked and the dynamics between them worked well. With each visit, I'm always eager to see what the seniors have up their sleeves. Luke's granddad made me laugh, cheer and even tear up a bit. One thing for sure, Jill never fails to provide a great story that ends in happily-ever-after.
Yvonne
This was an awesome book - loved it!
Jonetta
I'm a big fan of this series and have really liked every story...until this one. I LOVED it!

It's one of those rarities where you have equally strong feelings for both main characters. Ali Winter has had a tough life but through it all, she's held her head up high and believed life would get better, not in a sappy way but more resolute. You couldn't help admiring her spirit. The town loves her.

Luke Hanover is one of the good guys, the person you can count on to do the right thing but underneath...more
Nikki
This is such a great book! I have only read two others in the Lucky Harbor series, with intentions to read them all, and this is hands down my favorite so far! Ali Winters grew up on the 'wrong side of the tracks'. Always the strong one, pushing the bad stuff down and looking on the bright side of things. She moved to Lucky Harbor to start over. A very crafty and talented florist/ceramics maker and teacher, all she wants is to make a better life for herself. Luke Hanover is a somewhat jaded dete...more
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: B+

Ali is really having a tough time of it. Her job as a florist is in jeopardy, she finds out her boyfriend (who she’s living with) is cheating on her, she’s homeless and she finds herself as the lead suspect in a robbery case involving money her now ex raised for a new town center that’s gone missing. And yet through all this, she still tries to keep a smile on her face. I loved this heroine. She tries to make the best of every situation and...more
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
As if the LUCKY HARBOR Series could GET any better....Well....Jill ya did it! I LOVED IT HAD TO BE YOU!! Luke and Ali....well....they stole my heart from their first meeting and took me on quite the Wild Ride!! OMG!!

Ali and Luke are definitely making TOP FIVE COUPLES of 2013 at A Tasty Read!! Ali....favorite Shalvis heroine....close competition...but she kinda ROCKS!!

Full Review

Jill Shalvis does Romance like Betty Crocker does Cake: Sweet, Satisfying and Can be devoured in One Sitting!

I thought...more
Kellie G.
4.5 sweet & sexy stars!! Jill Shalvis knows how to write a great contemporary romance. This series is one of my favs because the characters are so lovable, fun and sexy. Even though I've read this series in order, it could easily be read as a stand alone. I love the town of Lucky Harbor and wish I could spend some time amongst its colorful residents.
valee
LOVED IT, just like every book I've read in this series.

This is simply a terrific author that just knows how to mix romance and fun without crossing to the cheesy side. HOW NOT TO ADORE THAT? It is not easy to find good romance. I just hate it when a story gets too sweet and corny. Jill Shalvis and her lucky harbor series are perfect for those of you who enjoy the romance genre. More than anything I love her characters. They just seem real and down to earth.

This was another great addition to an...more
Mandi Schreiner
Favorite Quote: “I really want to hit him,” she said.

“Bloodthirsty,” he murmured, taking her hand, running his thumb over the pulse racing at her wrist. “I like it.”

Ali’s bad day starts when her boyfriend breaks up with her by text. It only gets worse when he tells her he has given up the lease on their house so she must move and she finds out he has been cheating on her. Ali works in the local florist shop in Lucky Harbor. A small town that is now all a titter that Ali and Teddy have broken up....more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

In the highly anticipated seventh book of the Lucky Harbor series, IT HAD TO BE YOU, Jill Shalvis brings readers a sweet, determined and independent heroine in Ali Winters. Life hasn’t been too kind to Ali in recent months. Her boyfriend is a first-class jerk, she is low on cash, and she becomes the prime suspect of a robbery case. Add to that the fact that she is nearly homeless and if she can’t find a new place soon, she will be in big trouble.

But trouble finds her instead in the form of a ho...more
Cherise
Ali Winters has a job and a house that she loves. She is also dating and living with what she thinks is her perfect man… that is until she catches him with another woman in his office and later ends up getting dumped by him via text. Suddenly the perfect life she thought she had turns even crappier when money goes missing and Ali is the #1 suspect.

Luke Hanover returns to his house in Lucky Harbor after being away for several years. A case he was working on went bad and he needs to lick his wound...more
Dabney

this review was originally published at DearAuthor.com

Dear Ms. Shalvis:

I suspect you could write yourLucky Harborbooks in your sleep. That is as much a testament to their sameness as it is to your skill. Every book in the series–with the exception of the second,The Sweetest Thing–features a young woman either facing a problem or needing to reboot her life, a super-hot guy who struggles to with themarriage and babies are your futurething, good female friends who constantly tell the heroine how
Anne
OK, I got the ARC of this book since I am a Bookaholic! I am thrilled because I love this author, love all her books and particularly love this series which is how I started reading Jill Shalvis.

So I am going to review honestly but non-spoilerish. I typically don't repeat the blurb and am not too spoilery so I may or may not update this after the book is released.

What I love about her books is very clear to me. I love the characters. She makes them real to me, people I care about and feel like...more
Julie
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

It Had To Be You is the seventh book in Jill Shalvis’ charming Lucky Harbor series. This is such a sweet contemporary romance series – every single book leaves a smile on my face. The characters are just delightful and the setting is like a character all its own. And the side characters are as memorable as the main couple. It really is a series worth checking out.

In It Had To Be You we tag along as Ali meets Luke. Contemporary romance books often have cu...more
Liza
I am a huge fan of Jill Shalvis and was super excited to be approved for a review copy from NetGalley thanks to the publisher. I love the Lucky Harbor series and have to say that once again Jill Shalvis totally delivered.

I loved Ali from the very beginning. She might be one of the funniest characters I’ve read in some time. She can also be serious, because of her upbringing, but loved that she really seemed to believe things would always work out. Even when she is labeled a thief, she still trie...more
Paige
***Detailed Review***
3.5

I really love Lucky Harbor. I enjoy the romance, the men and the characters are great.

IT HAD TO BE YOU was another hit, although I'm struggling with the star count. Ali Winters was so funny and had so much spark for someone who had been through so much in life and was in the middle of a potential arrest.

Luke Hanover on the other hand, was nearly Ali’s opposite. With his detective work, Luke has lost some of his normal fun and spark. Returning to his grandmother’s house...more
Jennifer★Pher★
If you have read this series and loved it as much as I do then you understand me when I say I want to live in Lucky Harbor. I love everyone that lives there and want to meet them all and visit everywhere that they go! Lucky Harbor is just that, lucky. It seems to be the perfect place to settle, start over and just live and be happy. I loved Ali Winters. So much worked against her at every turn but her attitude was always so positive. You believed no matter what happened, she was going to succeed...more
Janhvi
I was lucky enough to get a copy of Jill Shalvis' It Had To Be You prior to its release date. I've read the all the books in the Lucky Harbor series and was glad to be back in Lucky Harbor. It had to be you was an amazing book and another fabulous installment to her Lucky Harbor series.

It Had To Be You is the story of Ali Winters. Her boyfriend has cheated on her, she's about to be kicked out of her home and on top of all that everyone in town thinks she's a thief. Ali was a great character. She...more
Susana Gil portell
Mar 11, 2013 Susana Gil portell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone
I received an ARC as part of the author´s Bookaholics Club (I know, so lucky) and a promise to review it. I was eager yet nervous to read it. And what I have to say is I pre-ordered a copy myself I loved it so much and want to do my part to keep it all going. What can I say? This was a fantastic read and everything one expects from Jill Shalvis: warm, funny, sweet...I have come to love Lucky Harbor and all the people in it, and like always, it felt like you’re part of Lucky Harbor. I do not want...more
Simply Irresistib...: It Had To Be You 14 32 Jun 20, 2013 07:56PM
Simply Irresistib...: **New It Had to Be You Giveaway** June 10-17 13 26 Jun 11, 2013 01:55PM
  • The Love Shack (Beach House No. 9, #3)
  • Two of a Kind (Fool's Gold, #11)
  • Perfect Fling (Serendipity's Finest, #2)
  • All He Ever Dreamed (Kowalski Family, #6)
  • Flirting with Disaster (Camelot, #3)
  • The Perfect Match (Blue Heron #2)
  • Anything but Sweet (Sweet, Texas, #1)
  • Anything But Love (Cupcake Lovers, #3)
  • Barefoot in the Sun (Barefoot Bay. #3)
  • Half Moon Hill (Destiny, #6)
  • Too Hot to Handle (Jackson, #2)
  • Home to Whiskey Creek (Whiskey Creek, #4)
  • Love Irresistibly (FBI / US Attorney, #4)
  • The Christmas He Loved Her (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake, #2)
  • A Shot of Sultry (Sultry Springs, #2)

Look for Jill's latest, ONCE IN A LIFETIME, on shelves and ereaders now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold. Also, visit her websit...more
More about Jill Shalvis...
Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1) Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2) Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)

“I'm not defined by what people think of me. My happiness comes from within.” 8 likes
“I know I might look like a ball of fluff," she said, "but I'm not. Not even close. And the fact that I get up each morning and put a damn smile on my face is the same as... Batman putting on his cape."
"I--"
"I'm not done. It's... protection. It's my shield. It's me waving my middle finger to the world because I choose to be happy. The bottom line, Luke, is that I know what matters and what doesn't.”
8 likes