Start by marking “The Witch Collector Part I” as Want to Read:
The Witch Collector Part I

The Witch Collector Part I

The Witch Collector is a digital original novel that's a suspenseful brew of magic, dark strangers, and witchcraft—perfect for fans of the Beautiful Creatures and Mortal Instruments series.

The day after her best friend's funeral, Breeda's parents pack her up, usher her into the car, and then drive out of Oregon without looking back. Breeda doesn't know why they left so urg
Published April 2nd 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Witch Collector Part I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch Collector Part I

Erica
Eeennnhhhh.
Sooooo...I wish this would have been around when I was 14; I'd have eaten this thing up and wanted more, More, MORE!
Buuuuuut...I'm not 14. I'm a bitter and cynical old lady, now, and I've become far more judgmental than I ever was in my teens, which seems impossible, true though it is.

Here's where I got tripped up:
The characters: I could not get a hold on any character at all, except for maybe Aunt Evie. They were just so...slippery and not in a complex way but in a "would this charac
Dayla
Review first appeared on my blog: Book Addict 24-7

I received a copy from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

Loretta Nyhan's The Witch Collector Part 1 is a fantastic read that is short enough to read in one day, but addicting enough to make the reader want the sequel to be available now.

The reader is immediately brought into the action of the novel. We aren't entirely sure what will happen next and this will make the reader instantly curious about what this small family is running from.

T
Suzanne Palmieri
Jan 13, 2013 Suzanne Palmieri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
I know, I know. I'm biased. Loretta is my writing partner. Our novel, I'LL BE SEEING YOU will be released on May 28th by MIRA Books. But that did NOT influence me. Loretta sent me this portion to look over while she was editing. I opened it up and.... hit "bump". Meaning I couldn't stop reading it! It's compelling. A page turner. But more than that, it's lyrical, funny and entirely believable. As a writer of paranormal things, I find the hardest part is the "Suspension of Disbelief". Loretta kno ...more
Ann
Mar 22, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful start to a series. Part 1 has introduced us to all the characters, plot and settings. I can't wait ti see how Breeda, our young untrained witch carries on.
Breda
May 23, 2013 Breda marked it as to-read
I feel an obligation to attempt any book with a character named some variation of Breda!
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Fun really fast read. The story was interesting, but the flow of the book wasn’t the best.

Opening Sentence: The sun stumbled and fell, and the moon rose in its place.

The Review:

Breeda and her parents are witches. She has just turned 16 and she is starting the transition of getting her powers. She has lived outside of Portland Oregon for most of her life. She is part of a private community that is only for witches. She is part of the coven t
Shona Booky Ramblings of a Neurotic Mom
Review first posted on http://beanieboo78.wordpress.com/

First off thanks to Edelweiss who gave me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book, the only reason I haven’t given it the full 5 stars is because it features my most hated of factors. The Sneaky Ending. When I’m reading I tend to pace myself when I near the end of the book, especially if it’s one I’m enjoying. I absolutely HATE when a books ending sneaks up me. If I’m reading a paperback I try to judge based on ho
Shera (Book Whispers)
****Review copy received for an honest review.****

Witches are my top favorite paranormal "creatures"—next to shifters of course. They tantalize me whether they be dark and disturbing, or sparkling good. One of the sad parts about witch themed books is that many times they come a crossed too juvenile and undeveloped. The Witch Collector thankfully is one that I can tell everyone the good news about! This is solid craft people!

With that said, this review has taken me so long to put into words. I e
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

THE WITCH COLLECTOR PART I starts out strong and pulls you right in with the mystery. Why are Breeda’s parents running away from their home and why are they going to Chicago? Who or what took them from the apartment after they got there? And why the heck would they name their child Breeda?

Nyhan creates some interesting mythology behind her witches. They’re connected to the Earth, carry a talisman, and they each have a different skill which is inherited
Melissa
Jan 08, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I come across this book by accident. Never heard of the author before now. I have to say I loved the book of course I am a major bookf fan of witches.

This book starts out a little slow but In kept reading and by the 2 and chapter I was hooked on everything. Breeda which love the name hasn't got a clue as to why her parents have left her in the dark. She hasn't got a clue as to what Kind of witch she is. Her parents thinking they are protecting her leave their coven in Oregon but not breaking th
Mar 27, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
I received a digital ARC of this ebook for review.

I really enjoyed this book, HOWEVER it is essentially Cassandra Clare's City of Bones for most of this book. I know that there are a lot of YA books reminiscent of other things, but this is pretty much a copy in some parts - I almost marked this review down to 3 stars just for that and I still might. It's not like the Cassie Clare books are obscure or anything.

SPOILER

Breeda's parents break with their coven in OR and flee to IL. Once there, Breed
Krista
Mar 18, 2013 Krista rated it it was ok
I remain 60 percent of the way into this book I was debating finishing this book but by the other reviews I was thinking it stops short right in the middle and will really give me no ending anyway.

My thoughts on The Witch Collector Part 1 I started off engrossed in the book, as Breeda and what kind of name is that? Seems to be fleeing with her parents from something, gaining her magic she is often taken into visions or dreams. That was really cool so I was thinking this book was going in a aweso
Heather Wood
Mar 29, 2013 Heather Wood rated it really liked it
I liked The Witch Collector and found the plot unique and suspenseful. The main character was likable and from the first pages I was intrigued over what Breeda and her family could be running from.

The timeline jumps around a bit from when Breeda is on the run to earlier when her family was immersed in coven life. Breeda is confused over the reason her family has snuck away from the coven and she attempts to uncover the truth. At the same time, her magical abilities are manifesting and she has to
Charity
Apr 03, 2013 Charity rated it liked it
I liked this book. I wouldn't run away with it, but most definitely spend quite a bit of time with its intriguing self before it goes cold. Literally... the story stops. The synopsis I read said "novel," not novella, so I was expecting a full length story that has and ending even if it were a cliff hanger. I thought part I meant #1. IT IS ONLY HALF A BOOK. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't stop reading. Finished the 129pg book in a few hours. It wasn't until the words stopped that I realize nothing ...more
Heidi
Jun 10, 2013 Heidi rated it it was ok
I'm not sure why this story is divided into two books. It's too short to explain the need for two parts, and even a series should have a discrete story in each book, which this does not. I think the motive must be money, so I'm docking a star. Otherwise I liked the world the author created and thought the story was getting pretty good before it cut off abruptly. I also wish the characters had more depth.
Erika
It has some good ideas, but it's a little circular and ends abruptly once it finally gets going. And Breeda is sheltered and a little spacey. Even I have memories of my old city and we moved when I was six, not even her seven. Plus, what kind of name is Breeda? I'll give the second part a try, to see if it ends the series or has better pacing.
Carolyn Stenner
Apr 13, 2013 Carolyn Stenner rated it it was amazing
Intelligent young adult fiction. This book kept me guessing from the beginning and definitely left me wanting to read part II. There are multiple layers to this story which, as an adult reader, I appreciated.
Colleen
Apr 11, 2013 Colleen rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading Part I. Thankfully, I know Part II is due out soon because there are too many unanswered questions that I can't wait to see how they turn out. I've never read any witch-type books before and now The Witch Collector has me wanting to read more of them.
Bridget
Apr 11, 2013 Bridget rated it liked it
Fun really fast read. The story was interesting, but I felt that the flow was off a little bit. Overall I enjoyed the book it just had some flaws. For the full review please visit Dark Faerie Tales: http://darkfaerietales.com/review-wit...
Seriesjunky
Oct 04, 2013 Seriesjunky rated it liked it
too short
Jenny Bates
Jul 06, 2013 Jenny Bates rated it liked it
It was slow at first. And quite short. It ended quite abruptly in the middle of the story, but I am intrigued to find out what happens next.
Faith
Jun 06, 2013 Faith rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The characters are so awesome. I flew through it and couldn't wait to read the next one!
'nique
Sep 11, 2013 'nique rated it liked it
Light read ... About new witches.
Sarah Hardy
Aug 14, 2013 Sarah Hardy rated it it was amazing
This book reads like a younger version of A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES (which I loved). Perfect for teens and adults who crave a literary, smarter version of TWILIGHT with a strong female protagonist.
Alethea Chaney
Alethea Chaney rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Ania
Ania rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2013
Robbyn
Robbyn rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Megen
Megen rated it did not like it
Feb 19, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • inDIVISIBLE
  • Moonlight Mayhem (Spellbound Prodigies #3)
  • Louder Than Words
  • The Crossing (Blood of the Lamb, #1)
  • Every Never After (Never, #2)
  • The Namesake
  • Kindness for Weakness
  • Matt Archer: Monster Hunter (Matt Archer #1)
  • My Date From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2)
  • The Girl in the Wall
  • Terra (Terrestrials, #1)
  • Exposure (Twisted Lit #2)
  • The After Girls
  • This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery #1)
  • The Cherry On  Top (Vegas Firsts #1)
  • Underneath
  • The Lazarus Machine (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #1)
  • Lighthouse Nights
I was a reader before I was a writer, devouring everything I could get my hands on, including the backs of cereal boxes and the instructions booklet for building the Barbie dream house. Later, my obsession with reading evolved into an absolute need to write. After college, I wrote for national trade magazines, taught writing to college freshmen, and eventually found the guts to try fiction.

I'm the
More about Loretta Nyhan...