Foul is Fair (The Witch Hunters Short Story #1)

Foul is Fair (The Witch Hunters Short Story #1)

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Sam would prefer to stay concealed amongst the nobodies. She’s a witch with a dodgy past hiding in the insurance claim industry. When a high profile politician is threatened with having his Community position as a vampire exposed, she couldn’t care less.
Sadly her boss forces her on baby-sitting duty and she unwittingly draws the attention of a witch-hunter. While trying to...more
ebook, 0.1, 9 pages
Published August 21st 2012 by Chantal Halpin (first published April 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Foul is Fair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foul is Fair

Suzanne (Doppleganger)
This was a charming little short story. Sam isn't a witch like any other I've read before. Her abilities manifest themselves in a very physical way. I just know there's a backstory there and I'd love to read about it! (Loved the tap on the lip, too!)
The insurance spin is unique - I've read a ton of stories where the main character is a Private Investigator, and I do love that genre. But the insurance investigator/agent spin is not something I've seen before and I'd like to learn more about Sam'...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
*blink* Wait? Where's the rest of it? Grumble grumble. My friend, Chantal sent me a little note about a new book. I didn't pay too close attention to the recommendation and just added it to my unwieldy to be read shelf. It is Urban Fantasy and it's about a witch who works as a claim agent of some kind.

This short story moves very fast and when it's over, I'm wanting more. Sam is a witch who lives on the fringes. We don't know exactly why, but she wants to say under the radar. This story reminds...more
Kim
I discovered this short story because of an Ilona Andrews blog post. It's an interesting introduction to a world I WANT to see more of.

Witches, vampires, seductive and dangerous witch-hunters, and a hidden supernatural world that is doing all it can to stay under the human radar - despite having so many vampires as bigwig politicians.

I'm intrigued by the main character, Sam. She tells us she's not the best witch of the bunch, that she struggles with spells - which could only mean trouble in th...more
Gayle
Politicians who are more than they appear to be, sneaky tabloid journalists, and a sexy latino witch-hunter are just some of the people Sam, a London-based witch, encounters in this fun little story.

Written in first-person, the character of Sam, who narrates the story, has a unique voice. She's quite the witty lass!

I'm really hoping Halpin writes more Sam stories in the future.
Honour
A short novella introducing us to the character Samhain or Sam. It's set in London where Sam works as an insurance claims investigator. Her boss, who also some times works for the 'Community' talked her into shadowing a gay, vampire politician who is apparently being threatened by a blackmailer.
Sam is a witch and an unusual one at that. Her magical powers are weak and she's pretty low on the pecking order.
This is too short a story for me to tell if I really liked her, but given the chance I th...more
Lise
"Foul is Fair" is a 10-page long short story about the witch Sam – not a very powerful witch. Although not powerful magically, Sam does happen to have the strength of “The Terminator”. Sam works for an insurance company that also protects people in the Community (paranormal).

Like in the real world politicians have something to hide. Vampirism might not be the most common thing one tries to hide (that I’ve heard) but you never know. You know there is going to be someone who is threatening to out...more
Jael
Probably like other people who may have read this story, I came across it by Ilona Andrews. The story is only 9 pages long but it gives an interesting sneak peek into Halpin's world that she's creating.

Sam is neat that she doesn't follow other UF females-she's not a powerful witch but she's "as strong as the Terminator." The love interest Desi I don't have an opinion about him one way or the other.

I think if another story was released, I would read that one too. I just hope that it would be lon...more
Liz Thompson
Great taster story which has left me wanting more tales of Sam. She's a gutsy character, the voice comes across very strong.

The story is very pacy and that makes for a thrilling read. The action starts right away and doesn't let up until the end. The resolution is clever.

The addition of the witch-hunter character adds another layer to the story. Wish it was longer as these two characters have a great (if dangerous) vibe.

More please!
Yolanda
I found Chantal Halpin through GoodReads, and I have to say I'm encouraged that I'm finding good authors using this service. I really enjoyed the glimpse of the universe she's created in this story, and really would love to know more about vampires and her world and how magic there works. The witch hunters are intriguing as well! I liked this story a lot and will be seeking out more by Chantal Halpin in the future.
harlequin {Stephanie}
I don't always go crazy for short stories. I have very few complaints about this book save for the length. It's short even for a short.

The writing was clever & witty. Found myself instantly liking Sam & wanting to know more about her. Can I just say that a lot of action was crammed into this. Wow. Some high profile writers should take notes. I do hope this is simply a prelude.?
T.K. Toppin
A tasty little morsel into the world of witches, vamps, and hunters. A brilliant short story (where I truly hope Chantal Halpin expands into a full length) the reader is given just a sampling of something more, something bigger, something...wow! I can't wait to read more from this writer.
Laurel
I really enjoyed this short story. There are some great turns of phrase in here, and the writing is vivid, drawing the reader in. My favourite sentence was: 'My hearing was grateful.' - gave me a good chuckle. Sam certainly had a fabulous sense of humour. I look forward to reading more.
Mar
I found this story interesting, would definitely like to read more about these characters and see how the story continues.
Diane Lang
Lots of fun. I can hardly wait for Chantal to write more books . . . Please!
Midu Hadi
Grant Howard
Didn't really read like a short story. More like the first 10 pages of a novel. Leaves you feeling "And..?"
Kali
it was ok
Patrick
An enjoyable read, Chantal takes us into a world of urban fantasy that reminds me of a cross between The Dresden Files and the anime series Witch Hunter Robin. She paints her scenes very well and immerses you into the events as they unfold for the believable characters she has created. I look forward to reading more from her!
James Groenestein
I'm not sure what I expected from this prequel, but I was disappointed with it.

I was surprised how short it was (yes I know it's a prequel!). The characters weren't described enough and the overall plot was a bit weak.

Having said that, I did enjoy it and hope the following instalments are a lot better.
Dr susan
Halpin has kindly made the Witch Hunters short stories available at no charge. I highly recommend urban fantasy lovers take advantage of her generosity. Both Foul s Fair and the Brinded Cat are great stories. I cannot wait for Sam to get a book!
Nyimah
It was ok. I'm sure there is potential ther for a decent series. Unfortunately there wasnt much there for me to distinguish it from some of th other UF/PNR series. I will definitely keep an eye out for the next full length novel.
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
2.75

I might read it if it was expanded into a true story, however I couldn't enjoy it too much with only 9 pages. I thought her writing was good though but the characters were so/so with not much to remember about them.
Diana
This is a well-written pacy short story. I liked the way the main female character was feisty with crisp dialogue. There is plenty of scope for further action - keep at it Ms Halpin, you're doing well.
Riana Elizabeth
Disjointed fluff. Just because it's a short work doesn't mean it has to lack substance.
Marc
2.5*
Not enough of a story but the world building seems very interesting.
Arismum
A great freebie, but too short. More please Chantal!
Mary
Love it love it LOVE IT!! More please . . . NOW!!!!
Gill
Gill marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Chantal Halpin lives in the South West of England with her husband, two kids and their smelly rescue dog, Keira. She mostly writes urban fantasy and loves anything fanged, fae, witchy or shifty. She is currently working on The Witch Hunter series which includes both urban fantasy and young adult stories.
More about Chantal Halpin...
The Brinded Cat (The Witch Hunters Short Story #2)

“My problem wasn’t that he was a vamp, or that he was gay. I didn’t like him because he was a politician.” 4 likes