Encounters of Sherlock Holmes

Encounters of Sherlock Holmes (Encounters of Sherlock Holmes #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A brand-new collection of Sherlock Holmes stories from a variety of exciting voices in modern horror and steampunk, including James Lovegrove, Justin Richards, Paul Magrs, Guy Adams and Mark Hodder. Edited by respected anthologist George Mann, and including a story by Mann himself.

Introduction by George Mann
The Loss of Chapter Twenty-One by Mark Hodder
Holmes and the Indeli...more
Published February 19th 2013 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Encounters of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encounters of Sherlock Holmes

Margaret
This is probably one of the more eclectic volumes of Sherlock Holmes stories I've read.

They range from traditional through to steampunk, and the quality ranges fairly widely as well.

Fans of Mark Hodder's Burton and Swinburne books will be delighted (as I was) to find the very first story involves his intrepid duo, with Holmes solving a crime for a dieing Sir Richard Burton.

Paul Magrs' story "Mrs Hudson at the Christmas Hotel" was told in the form of letters and was quite humourous, but did jar...more
Barry Huddleston
I have to confess a certain bias. I love Sherlock Holmes and fit into the camp that believes that bad Holmes is better than no Holmes at all. I’m also a steampunk fan. Having admitted that, is it any surprise that I thoroughly loved the collection of new Holmes stories in "Encounters of Sherlock Holmes"?

I really enjoy George Mann’s work and reviewed his book Ghosts of Manhattan a couple of years ago. His story “Case of the Night Crawler” is excellent and I loved that he pulled in his “Newbury an...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
George Mann and thirteen other writers provide new mystery-solving fodder for the famous duo of Holmes and Watson. I say well done over all. A couple of the stories were a bit dry (and I fell asleep reading those), but I enjoyed most of the stories. I liked how unique each one read, yet Holmes and Watson are true to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's creations. You wouldn't think an author could combine them with Martian aliens and Lovecraftian monsters, but you'd be wrong.

I'd recommend this overall to Sh...more
Riju Ganguly
“Brand-New Tales of the Great Detective” have been gracing the literary landscape almost as soon as the stream of canonical stories dried out. These tales, or pastiches, cover the entire spectrum: from the excruciatingly authentic to blasphemously entertaining. The anthology under discussion mostly stands up to the challenge of churning out a bunch of entertainers while treading the same path that has been muddied by thousands before, and hence it is definitely worth a read. The contents are:
 I...more
Victor Gentile
George Mann in his book, “Encounters Of Sherlock Holmes” a Book in the Encounters of Sherlock Holmes series published by Titan Books brings us new short stories featuring the adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

From the Back Cover: Brand New tales of the great detective

The spirit of Sherlock Holmes lives on in this collection of fourteen brand-new adventures. Marvel as the master of deduction aids a dying Sr. Richard Francis Bacon; matches wits with gentleman thief, A. J. Raffles; crosses paths with H...more
Johan Haneveld
Some mildly entertaining stories about the famous detective by mostly steam punk/victoriana authors. I think that fanfiction works best when putting characters in alternate universes/situations, describing them from alternative viewpoints, or in other ways shining light on their characters (but also their function in literature) - which to me is what the BBC-series Sherlock is doing. There are a couple of stories in here that do that, but not too many. Most were diverting, but didn't provide new...more
Douglas Cootey
An anthology is only as good as its whole, and this one had a few clunkers that pulled down the others (see my comments on each story). I'd give this book 3 1/2 stars if i could. I found myself enjoying almost every single straight, new Sherlock Holmes tale, but had mixed feelings about the ones that crossed genres. I felt they were marred by the authors' penchants for staging their own creations as the main characters. Sherlock was often a side character in these tales. IMO, the genre was too f...more
Jeff Raymond
I guess I call myself a Sherlock Holmes fan, although I've not read a lot of the original stories and tend to like the concept more than the execution. I got a copy of this volume of Holmes stories, most of which are Holmes mysteries with a splash of fantasy (and one science fiction story as well), and I figured it'd be worth the time.

The good news is that there are a lot of solid authors here. You have television writers, genre stars, and so on. The writing is pretty good, and the concept works...more
Fred Hughes
This is a great compendium of stories based on Sherlock Holmes pastiche.

Staying true to the language, and process, used by Sherlock the stories range far and wide. We even have Dr Watson and Mrs Hudson solving mysteries. With Sherlock taking the credit of course.

The various authors have also brought into play characters that they have developed and which have appeared in their books, particularly George Mann's great series Newbury and Hobbes (of which I have read all).

Other authors include Mark...more
Ed Nemo
Overall I liked the individual stories in this book. However, I found the occasional alternate voice to completely take me out of the narrative. I know everyone has a clever idea for Holmes and Watson, but his character is extremely well known, moving away from that concept kills the story. I have no problems with Holmes dealing with Martians but when he acts like an idiot it irritates me to the point I want to stop reading the book.

All in all, a good selection of stories. Some were truly excell...more
Matt Cresswell
I’ve just cycled through a few reviews online, and it seems to have divided loyalties. Plenty of reviews absolutely loved it. The ones that hated it objected mainly to the mashing of the genres within, and to the frequent popping up of other characters (be that other literary figures, or characters from the writers own work.) To lay the cards on the table: I’m not a Holmes purist, and I couldn’t give a toss about about other characters being thrown in the mix, or whether this is Sherlocking-sci-...more
Monique Snyman
As soon as the Sherlock Holmes bug has bitten you, there’s no turning back. From Sir Arthur Conan Doyle‘s original stories, all the way through to the ‘pastiches’ and fan-fiction of the modern era… once the bug bites, you can’t get enough and you will devour any new adventures – be it natural or supernatural – that comes your way. Don’t believe me? Well, I once thought that Sherlock Holmes was overrated and I was determined not to become one of the sheep, yet when I was kindly forced to read and...more
Nancy Newton
The editor finds pastiches slightly insulting to Conan Doyle. However,for those of us who can't get enough of the Master, we are highly appreciative of new stories. Especially ones which come close to capturing his essence. Each story in this collection must be judged according to it's own merit. For those Sherlockians who also like a bit of the fantastical this is a great collection. Nearly all authors also write f/Dr. Who which tells you a lot about the tone of the pastiches.
Rog Harrison
This is a collection of fourteen short stories by modern authors which feature Sherlock Holmes. Usually I read a book within a couple of days but this collection took me over two weeks to finish. Some of the stories are quite amusing but I rarely felt motivated to read the next one and sometimes it took me more than one sitting to get through one of the stories. Not for me I am afraid.
Ade Couper
I am a big fan of the Holmes Canon, & have also appreciated many of the stories that have been written since Conan Doyle's death. The tales in this volume are (mostly) worthy additions.

Some of the tales stick rigidly to traditional format, whilst there are a number that bring Holmes firmly into the steampunk genre, notably George Mann's "The case of the night crawler", & Eric Brown's "The tragic case of the Martian Ambassador", both of which work well . The only tale that didn't work for...more
Josie Boyce
Some very good Holmes stories, a few average ones. Overall worth a quick read for Holmes fans.
Bethnoir
Rather variable quality on display in these stories and quite a few are vehicles for the authors already extant characters with Sherlock kind of in the background, but overall a fun mix of fantasy and genre. My favourite stories were by George Mann (of course), Stuart Douglas, Mags L Haliday and Steve Lockley none of whom I've read before. Worth reading, although beware they spend a lot of time, collectively enjoying a smoke, not to be read if you are suggestible.
John
Sherlock Holmes saw his last adventure by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in the 1920s, but the famous detective continues to solve mysteries today in film and television. And thanks to some of today's brightest mystery writers, the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson continue to thrive.

Read my full review at TheCelebrityCafe.com
Amaya
Mostly harmless and amusing, though some of the stories are not only poorly written, but are that kind of haphazard fanfiction-like pastiche that missuses all of its original sources (I'm looking at you, Eric Brown, with that absurd Holmes-meets-the-Martians story!). Fun read for the most part, though; would recommend.
Lynn
It is only right to read the complete collection of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories first before enjoying other authors who have picked up the thread of "the game is afoot!" I am so grateful that there are more adventures of Sherlock Holmes out there, written in the style of our favorite narrator Dr. Watson.
Paul
An excellent collection of shorts regarding fiction's finest detective...if I'm honest, the inclusion of messrs Hodder, Magrs and Mann we're enough to draw me in, however none of the authors disappoint here.

Roll on the next collection.

The game is well and truly afoot sir!!!
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by:Mallory
Genre: Historical Fiction/Crime
Rated: 5 Stars

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Laura Battle
Several well-done stories, some clunkers, a few of the authors obviously have no idea who Holmes is and should be forbidden from writing about him again.
Stephanie
Nov 24, 2013 Stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cathi Kennedy
Recommended to Stephanie by: Claryce Asmus
An awesome read. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked every single story. Highly entertaining and 100% Sherlock Holmes.
Kim
May 04, 2013 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is wonderful! All the stories retain the dignity and character depth of the original Conan-Doyle cannon.
Peggy
An interesting concept. Some of the stories were quite intriguing - some were not. A mixed bag, really.
Schnaucl
I enjoyed it but none of the stories stuck with me or stood out.
PWRL
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes in America
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • The Aylesford Skull
  • The Baker Street Translation
George Mann is an author and editor, primarily in genre fiction. He was born in Darlington, County Durham in 1978.
A former editor of Outland, Mann is the author of The Human Abstract, and more recently The Affinity Bridge and The Osiris Ritual in his Newbury and Hobbes detective series, set in an alternate Britain, and Ghosts of Manhattan, set in the same universe some decades later.
He wrote the T...more
More about George Mann...
The Affinity Bridge (Newbury and Hobbes, #1) The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes, #2) The Immorality Engine (Newbury and Hobbes, #3) Ghosts of Manhattan (The Ghost, #1) Doctor Who: Paradox Lost