Matilda and Hans

Matilda and Hans

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  38 reviews
A comical tale of naughty and nice with a surprising twist!

Matilda is a very good girl. She likes to read and water her flowers. Hans is very naughty. He makes too much noise and is always causing trouble! When Hans lets the animals out of the zoo, a reward is offered for his capture. Matilda tells the police where he will be, but when they catch Hans and take off his mask...more
Published May 14th 2013 by Templar (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Matilda and Hans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matilda and Hans

S.K.
2.5 Stars

My girls looked over the pages first and really enjoyed figuring out that Matilda was the bad guy, Hans. They loved the illustrations and practiced drawing cat heads just like the book. A great beginning!

Once I read it to them, their interest exemplified and mine, from a parent POV, did not. I get the whole idea that being bad can be a lot of fun...but there were no consequences for Matilda doing REALLY BAD things, like stealing, trespassing, vandalizing property and being a public nuis...more
Aaron Wyckoff
Matilda is a very good cat, but Hans is very naughty. Yet somehow, when Hans goes too far and a reward is offered for information about him, Matilda knows exactly where he can be found. In Matilda and Hans, Yokococo masterfully blends a simple story with striking illustrations. While the story teaches the basic principles of naughty and nice, it also shows that everyone contains at least a little bit of both. Matilda and Has makes a great read-aloud for preschool children.
Marika
Matilda is a perfectly good child. Hans is a total terror. These two couldn't be more different. When Hans releases all the animals from the zoo, Matilda does what any good citizen would and turns him in. How did Matilda know who did this deed? When Hans pulls off his mask, all will be revealed! Delightful fun from beginning to surprising end, kids will be clamoring for you to "read it again!"
Melisa
Doesn't everyone just want to break all the rules sometimes? That inner child dying to do something bad is always squashed. Unless you are Matilda. I'd like to be Matilda for a day. And Hans too.

Recommended because of it's charming art, lovely text and message for preschoolers that being good all the time is impossible.
ANg
OH dear goodness, i am in LOVE with children books!
This one grabbed my heart and i will be looking for others by this author.I chuckled outloud. Its about Matilda the good cat and Hans the mischievous cat.
The art is simple and bright and fun. Easy to read and to follow and
has a wonderful gigglily ending.
Amy
Split personality cat turns herself in to cat authorities after she can't control her mischievous ways. After she turns herself in, her alter ego starts committing the same type of acts. Nothing really edifying here for children.
Erin
Matilda is a good little cat. Hans is terrible! One night, Hans freed all the animals in the zoo. The next day, the police offered a reward for information on Hans. Matilda told them exactly where Hans would be that night. When the police caught Hans, they took off his disguise to discover that Matilda was Hans! She told them that Hans would never be bad again and asked kindly for the reward money.

Cute and funny for preschool storytimes.
Jodie
A tale of two cats. Matilda is a good cat while Hans is a naughty cat. A twist in the story.
librarianemily
Matilda is a good little cat, and Hans is anything but! After Hans breaks into the zoo and sets all the animals free, Matilda sees a "Wanted" poster with Hans' face on it. She goes to the police and exchanges information about Hans' plans for that night for reward money. The police nab Hans, and it's Matilda in disguise! After her capture, Hans stops acting out but Matilda doesn't! The illustrations are great- clear, colorful, and whimsical. A great story for young children, it shows that mischi...more
Shonda Wilson
This was a clever and very funny book, love the art!
Sophie
Feb 02, 2014 Sophie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: errybody
Kitties + mischief = adorable.
Paula
Matilda is a very good cat. She likes to sit quietly and read or water her flowers. Hans is very naughty. He makes too much noise and paints graffiti on the walls. When Hans goes too far and lets the animals out of the zoo, a reward is offered for information about him. What happens when Hans is finally caught?
Dolly
Nov 07, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining tale about two different cats: one good and one naughty. The narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are comical and cartoonish. The ending is a bit predictable, although I'm not sure our girls saw it coming. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Brenda Kahn
Adorable story of a good little girl and her poorly behaved acquaintance, Hans. The illustrative technique is clean, un-cluttered and engaging. While young listeners/ readers may guess the surprise, they will be tickled nonetheless.
Rachel
A very surprising story! And one that relates to children quite well, for they are prone to both acts of goodness and of mischievousness. The colour scheme is well thought out, reflecting on the nature of the acts on the page.
Well, I'm a little biased since this book involves cats, but the illustrations are cute. There's also a twist at the end that was pretty clever.
Karen Arendt
Cute story about two cats- a fogs one and a bad one. Nice twist at he and of the story that will get a reaction out of young readers.
Lara
Totally adorable book about Matilda, the good cat, and Hans, the naughty one. Great twist ending! It surprised me and made me laugh, so...
Miri
Not going to lie, I would probably not read this to an impressionable toddler. :) As an adult, though, I love it.
Amanda Absher
Few picture books manage to really surprise me, but this one did. Anytime a picture book has a plot twist, I'm in!
Drucilla
May 14, 2013 Drucilla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: y
A nice story with a cute twist. The art style as well as the colors are very eye catching.
Egzona
I LOVED this for some reason! Very cute and if not "HAHA"-funny, then certainly "HIHI"-funny!
Hans
Another perfect niece-gift book...especially because the naughty cat has my name.
Kelsey
A simple look at being good and being bad with a fun twist in the end.
Destinee Sutton
Adding this one to my "Bad Behavior" story time list. Awesome twist in the end!
amy
Adorable. Hopefully small Nathan likes it too! (you know, for kids)
Morgan
I see what you did there, Matilda. Cutie-cute-cute.
Jen
wonderful pictures. hilarious twist ending. easy to read.
Edward Sullivan
Good little Matilda and her naughty alter ego.
Carol
Fun and clever. Adorable illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mo's Mustache
  • Sophie's Squash
  • Oliver and His Alligator
  • Ol' Mama Squirrel
Yokococo (Yoko Shima) is a Japanese author and illustrator. She studied English literature in Kyoto before teaching English. She moved to the U.K. to study illustration at the Cambridge School of Art and is now the creator of several children’s books.
More about Yokococo...
Sniff Be Good Girls! Hans and Matilda Little Ghost Wicky. Illustrated by Yokococo