Start by marking “The Cydonian Pyramid (The Klaatu Diskos, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Cydonian Pyramid (The Klaatu Diskos, #2)

The Cydonian Pyramid (The Klaatu Diskos #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The much-anticipated sequel to The Obsidian Blade transports readers to the terrifying and thrilling world of Lah Lia, the enigmatic girl who changed Tucker Feye’s life.

More than half a millennium in the future, in the shadow of the looming Cydonian Pyramid, a pampered girl named Lah Lia has been raised for one purpose: to be sacrificed through one of the mysterious diskos
Published May 14th 2013 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Cydonian Pyramid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cydonian Pyramid

Sapphire Blue by Kerstin GierEon by Alison GoodmanThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenRebel Heart by Moira YoungBlood Red Road by Moira Young
Vibrant Color
30th out of 116 books — 41 voters
Quintana of Charyn by Melina MarchettaYaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg MedinaOut of This Place by Emma CameronAngel Fever by L.A. WeatherlyBlack Helicopters by Blythe Woolston
2013 Young Adult Titles from Candlewick
15th out of 16 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

LeAnn Suchy
Originally reviewed at Minnesota Reads.

When I met briefly met Pete Hautman last year, I enthusiastically gushed over how much I loved The Obsidian Blade. Looking back, it was one of those embarrassing moments where I talked too fast, too much, and probably came off stalkerish, but trust me, I don’t have the dedication needed to stalk someone. I just thought The Obsidian Blade was one of the most unique things I read last year with great characters, strong world building, and a completely wacky p
Michael Marget
The Obsidian Blade is one of the best books I have read in high school. In General, the crazier the plot the more I enjoy the book, and this plot is anything but normal. Typically, I am not a science fiction reader, but this novel may have changed that for me. The idea of time travel simply fascinates me, and the philosophical way in which this book discusses time travel is extremely engaging. The author debates through through the characters how time travel can affect future, present, and past ...more
Leanna
WOW! I was over-the-top excited when I got the chance to read an arc of this book. The Obsidian Blade left off on a cliffhanger, and I had so many unanswered questions about the intriguing storyline.

Right from the get-go, this book had me hooked. The pacing (which was practically my only issue with the first book, having had trouble with the first section being a bit slow) was perfect. It starts right where the first book ends, and is at first narrated from Tucker's point of view. He finds himse
Erikka
Hautman really captures the essence of all of the issues our current world is facing, and manifests them in a beautifully-crafted futuristic environment that makes the probable seem wholly and frighteningly possible.

His views on religion are thought provoking, he makes an interesting case both for and against e-books (a noble feat, in this librarian's eyes), and he creates a dystopian future where society simply can't find a happy medium.

It carries on beautifully from the first book, actually
Fabian Lozada
Great book, definitely could not put it down. bought it the day before last, read it all night and finished in the afternoon. would have finished earlier but this thing annoying pest of an institution called school got in the way of a great read, yet again. the book surpasses its previous counterpart in many areas, especially by the beginning not being as slow, like the previous book id recommend it to anyone, although there are many people who are very sensitive to the time travelling books out ...more
edh
Even better than the first installment - Tucker discloses the the story of the time traveling diskos to a stranger in a strange land, while we learn the complete background of Lah Lia, who becomes Yar Lia after trials and tribulations. Raised as a Pure Girl to be sacrificed for peace and harmony, she learns survival strategies from the Yar sisters in the convent connected to the palace near the Cydonian Pyramid. Lah Lia knows that her blood moon will arrive soon and she must keep her wits about ...more
Mark Starchia
The Cydonian Pyramid is about a girl name Lia. She lives in the far future. She is a pure girl and lives a sheltered life. She has never been outside the walls of the place that she lives and gets a shock when she finally does go outside. An experience that she will never forget for as long as she lives.

What I liked about the book is the way the author describes the setting and characters at the start of the book. He also does not just focus on one character he jumps from character to character
Derek
The author purpose was to entertain. This is true because the story isn't trying to make me believe certain things, so it's not persuasive. I know this isn't informative for a couple of reasons. One is that the book is fiction. Another is it's not trying to teach me anything. With those reasons I can eliminate the other chooses and say it's to entertain.
There are a couple different themes. One theme can be never give up. This I know is true because the main character have to go through a lot o
Caitlin
I was just so disappointed with the beginning of this book that it was too hard to recover from. I wanted it to pick up where book one left off. It was such a climactic ending! But instead, it started quite after that scene and then backed WAY up and essentially retold book one from the perspective of Lalia. Ugh. Tucker was hardly in this book at all until 3/4 of the way through. And it wasn't all that exciting (since I knew all the important scenes from book one) until 1/2 way through.

While th
Silea
Vastly more coherent than the first book, that's for sure.

There are basically three conditions under which you might be reading this review, so i'll address them in turn:

1) You haven't read the first book (The Obsidian Blade). If so, go read the reviews of that and make your decision. This book will make no sense whatsover if you haven't read Book 1.

2) You loved the first book, and just want to make sure this one isn't dreadful. If so, buy it. Buy it now.

3) You were intrigued by book 1, but coul
Levi
Jul 15, 2014 Levi added it
Recommends it for: early teen sci-fi/fantasy enthusiasts
Shelves: fiction-novels
[This review has been retracted. See it here: http://leviathanbound.wordpress.com/2....]
Michael Long
The Cydonian Pyramid is the sequel to The Obsidian Blade. In this book we get to see things from both Lah Lia's perspective, and from Tucker Feye's perspective as they both travel through time (separately).

I liked this book a lot better than the first one. The story telling and writing are much better. The story focuses solely on Tucker and Lia, so we didn't have to deal with the really crappy characters like Father September or Master Gheen. We get to learn a bit more though about the Yars and
Courtney
In book one of the Klaatu Diskos, we are introduced to Tucker Feye and we follow his journeys through time as he attempts to find his missing family. In book two, we focus on Lah Lia, the strange girl that Tucker's father brought back to town after going missing the first time. It's always been clear that Lah Lia is not an ordinary girl, but her story adds entirely new dimensions to the Klaatu Diskos world.
Born and raised as a sacrifice for the Lah Sept, Lah Lia is scheduled to be sacrificed wh
Douglas Larson
This, the second in the series is mostly the same story as book one, The Obsidian Blade, but told from the point of view of Lahlia. There is some plot development here not covered in book one but very little. It was a good experience to see the whole story from another point of view.

I have heard that this series will be a trilogy, so I want book 3 to come out soon. But since this book, No. 2, just came out this past Spring, it will probably be a year or more before the 3rd comes out.

While I li
Barbara
I enjoyed the first book in this series, but it didn't keep me enraptured as this second one did. Many of the questions that I had from the first title were answered here as the two main characters, Lah Lia and Tucker Feye, race through different times. Since much of the storyline follows Lah Lia, a Pure Girl in some future time period, readers are able to see just how far the world has evolved. When she escapes and travels back in time, eventually finding sanctuary with a kind farm couple, she ...more
Felicia Tejawinata
The Cydonian Pyramid is the second book of Pete Hautman's Klaatu Diskos series. It continues the journeys of Tucker and Lahlia from the first book. We readers discover more of Lahlia's life that the first book doesn't include, and her life in Romelas before she was supposed to be sacrificed. It follows Lahlia's journey through the diskos, after she has escaped and what happened to her that Tucker didn't know about. In the first book, Lahlia has just saved Tucker's life from being killed by Fathe ...more
Barbara
This second volume in the Klaatu Diskos trilogy alternates between Tucker Feye’s and Lah Lia’s perspectives of the same time period as The Obsidian Blade. It opens with Tucker Feye time traveling through the diskos and landing near a US submarine in the Arctic Circle in 1959 at the height of the Cold War. He tries to explain to the ship’s doctor how he got there but has a lot of difficulty with that because the doctor thinks he is a Soviet Spy. Lah Lia escapes the fate of the Pure Girls in Romel ...more
An excellent followup to The Obsidian Blade. It goes much further into the mystery of the diskos and how the girl LahLia/Yar Lia came to be, both in Tucker's present and in his future.

Hautman gets even better at playing with the idea of timelines. Jumping back and forth between the Hopewell of the past, present, future, and far future. And getting to know Lah Lia's perspective brings the narrative into a more cohesive place.

Definitely read these back to back, as The Cydonian Pyramid picks up ri
Jeanne Boyarsky
The plot overlaps a lot with book one so there isn't a ton of surprise about what happens. But it was great to see the alternate perspectives on what was going on.

The style felt odd having Tucker tell the story as flashbacks to things he wouldn't have seen. But it was nice to see Lah/Yar Lia's world along with Tucker's father. Plus the different points in time. And species.

I'm looking forward to book 3.
Ashley
This was better than the first book, but not by much. It seems to have run mostly concurrent with book one. It followed Lia's travels more than Tucker's starting at the same point in time (a couple days before she arrived in Hopewell). Following Lia was much easier to comprehend. Where Tucker had no idea what the portals or Klaatu were, she has some background information with her education from the future. I liked finally feeling like someone in this series knew what was happening, instead of j ...more
Ms. B
More awesome science fiction by Pete Hautman. This is Lah Lia's (or Yar Lia's) story about how she first meets Tucker Feye and later attempts to save his life. Tucker's story also continues as he travel to different times through the diskos.
Looking forward to the thrilling conclusion of this trilogy.
Cynthia
I had a great time going back to the lives of Tucker and Lia. I am excited about reading the third book.
Kelli Lee
There's something about the Klaatu Diskos series that leaves me breathless. Wrangles my mercurial attention. Makes me go all goosey. Point blank, I can't get enough of the time-travel-y goodness that is this book. Also, I feel like this series is pure cerebral candy, though, at times, a real mind screw. Anyhow, this space is so not occupied by a review per se, so to remedy that feast your eyes on the following, penned by the lovely Leanna Christie: The Cydonian Pyramid, a review.
Charlou Lunsford
In this second book of the Klaatu Diskos, we learn about the voyages of Lah Lia. She was chosen as a chid to be a pampered Pure Girl and eventually sacrificed to a Disko at the top of a pyramid. Her ceremony is interrupted when a boy, Tucker Feye, makes an appearance. I very much enjoyed Lia's story and the way this book filled in many of the confusing unknows in The Obsidian Blade. Am now looking forward to the third wondering if this will be that rare series with the second book being the best ...more
Justin
Definitely a fun and interesting read!
Stephanie
The time leaping confused me but it was a great read.
Dhaivyd Hilgendorf
The first half of the book is primarily the same story as the first book, but from the perspective of Lah Lia, but the second half made it worth sloughing through the first half. With the resolution, though, there's not much of a cliff-hanger for anticipation of the 3rd book in the series. However, the good writing and interesting ideas are at a high enough level to encourage the reader to want to read the third.
John
Better than the first in the series.
Ms. Yingling
This made my brain hurt. I think it was the Amish/Kabbalah connection to quantum information science. What? I read it, but really don't know what happened. Had a little more luck understanding the first book in the series, The Obsidian Blade. I will buy this for my school library, since it is a trilogy that will appeal to my hard core science fiction fans, but I just didn't follow it very well.
Eva Mitnick
This isn't quite as compelling as The Obsidian Blade, partly because it bounces around so much in time and place as the reader is brought up to date on the activities of both Tucker and Lah Lia. Still - damn good! Looking forward to Book 3 (and hoping I don't forget all the intricate plot twists in the meantime).
  • The Milk of Birds
  • While We Run (When We Wake, #2)
  • Formerly Shark Girl
  • I'm With Stupid (Stupid Fast, #3)
  • Invasion
  • Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl
  • Homicidal Aliens and Other Disappointments
  • Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices
  • The Silver Dream (Interworld, #2)
  • Turn Left at the Cow
  • In Too Deep
  • The Loop
  • The Color of Rain
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • The Extra
  • Entangled (Entangled, #1)
  • Bubble World
  • Obsidian Mirror (Chronoptika, #1)
Pete Hautman is the author of Godless, which won the National Book Award, and many other critically acclaimed books for teens and adults, including Blank Confession, All-In, Rash, No Limit, and Invisible. Mr. Was was nominated for an Edgar Award by the Mystery Writers of America. Pete lives in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Visit him at petehautman.com.
More about Pete Hautman...

The Klaatu Diskos (3 books)
  • The Obsidian Blade (The Klaatu Diskos, #1)
  • The Klaatu Terminus  (The Klaatu Diskos, #3)
Godless Rash Invisible Sweetblood The Big Crunch