Start by marking “The Skeleton Pirate” as Want to Read:
The Skeleton Pirate

The Skeleton Pirate

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Shiver me timbers and swash me buckles — it’s time for an adventure with the Skeleton Pirate!

The Skeleton Pirate is the Terror of the Seas, and he’ll never be beaten! That is, until he gets beaten by an unruly bunch of pirates and is thrown overboard. Down in the depths of the sea, he is rescued by a beautiful mermaid, only to be swallowed by a whale. But the whale has a t
Published May 14th 2013 by Candlewick Press (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Skeleton Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skeleton Pirate

David
Maybe I should rate this 3 stars. As a story, it's kind of...meh. It's rather jumpy for a picture book, however, it's the kind of book that you finish the last page saying, "What? Wait. What?" I did anyway. At least it made me smile and the picture of the skeleton pirate reminded me of Mr. Skullhead.
Kristin
I gave the story 3 stars for the great art work. It's a quick and simple tale. My daughter enjoys it immensely but there's not much to the story. Perhaps it should deserve four stars - it's great as a picture book.
Kim
Dec 23, 2013 Kim rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: picture
It's bad enough that the crew tries to kill the pirate several times but at the end he asks the mermaid to marry him stating that "I think I've been beaten at last". NOT funny. Sexist
Deanna Vaughn
This book was a delight to read! I loved the story and the message to never give up (be beaten.) This story starts off with action and and great determination from a skeleton pirate. He runs into some trouble and is saved by a mermaid. The mermaid and the skeleton pirate then run into some more trouble, but think of a plan to get themselves out. The pictures in this book are very cute and fun to look at. I especially liked the ending of this story. I think that this would be a great book for stu ...more
Hayley Swanson
This book, lying casually on a table of books at my college bookstore, caught my eye with it's very title. "The Skeleton Pirate?" I thought. "Holy crap. A skeleton who's also a pirate. This has to be good!" And so I read it right then and there. It took barely five minutes to get through the whole thing (and I didn't even purchase it... such a rebel!), but I went back again to look at the pictures, since I often don't do that the first time with picture books. (What can I say, I'm used to text o ...more
Cindy Kleback
The illustrations are great, but the story leaves much to be desired.
Corinne
Magila
3.5

Good but not great. A story about a skeleton who is also a pirate, with a mermaid thrown in for good measure. The pages with the whale were so fantastic that they could be a mural on your child's wall.

The message of not settling disputes through fighting, and that you are not invincible is a nice one for young boys. I rounded up on the back of the whale pages, and the interweaving of the mermaid.

Try it out first through borrowing it. It could become a winner in your house if you have a boy.
Amy
Nov 18, 2013 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kidlets
A beautiful bedtime story, that even I loved (it features a soppy happy ending). Lots of action for the boys and repetitive words to help them feel like they are 'reading'.

We first borrowed this from the library, and after reading it at bedtime every night for two weeks, I instantly went to Amazon and bought a copy. This will be a favourite in my boys bookshelves for years to come.
Brianna
A story of a very determined skeleton pirate who will never be beat. Life throws all sorts of trouble his way and he refuses to let it get him down. This is a very fun and colorful tale. The pictures are nicely detailed and there is a great map of the whale, simple for a child, but great. The Skeleton Pirate is full of excitement and hey, what kid doesn't like pirates?
Literacy Group
Oct 27, 2013 Literacy Group added it
Shelves: fantasy
The skeleton pirate is infamous and has never been beaten. Even when he and his friend mermaid are swallowed by a giant whale he refuses to admit defeat.

Grades PreK - 1
Heather
Drucilla
May 12, 2013 Drucilla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: l
A really cute book that will appeal to both boys and girls. The art is really colorful and has lots of fun things to notice.
Marissa Garcia
An amusing, quirky tale of love. Perfect for bedtime!
Edward Sullivan
A silly, gentle spoof of standard pirate fare.
Carol
Kind of a bizarre and quirky story, but fun.
Allison
silly but still fun.
Alice
cute art, interesting story
Cailin
Cailin added it
Apr 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
David Lucas has written and illustrative several books for children and was named a Booktrust Best New Illustrator. He lives in London.
More about David Lucas...
The Robot and the Bluebird Halibut Jackson Cake Girl Something to Do The Lying Carpet

“I'll NEVER be beaten!” 0 likes