Start by marking “Moment of Battle: The Twenty Clashes That Changed the World” as Want to Read:
Moment of Battle: The Twenty Clashes That Changed the World

Moment of Battle: The Twenty Clashes That Changed the World

Two modern masters of military history make their case for the twenty most pivotal battles of all time, in a riveting trip through the ages to those moments when the fate of the world hung in the balance.

In the grand tradition of Edward Creasy’s classic Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World, James Lacey and Williamson Murray spotlight only those engagements that changed
Published May 21st 2013 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Moment of Battle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moment of Battle

Steven Peterson
Apr 06, 2013 Steven Peterson rated it liked it
This is a nicely written book. One gets a pretty good sense of the top twenty military battles of all time, in the authors’' view. Literately written, with some useable maps to give a sense of battles and campaigns.

There are quite a few familiar battles listed here. And that is one issue. This hardly a surprising set of battles. Why the need for another book? They argue that their selection is offering a different approach, noting that what others who list decisive battles missed was (p. xiv) ".
Urey Patrick
May 25, 2013 Urey Patrick rated it really liked it
The authors have chosen twenty battles that met their criteria of changing the course of history for years, if not generations, beyond the war and the events in which they occurred. It is an interesting concept, and part of the fun of reading the book is the justification provided by the author to substantiate that choice. I don't think they succeed with all twenty battles. They have chosen four battles out of WWII - at least two of do not meet the criteria they define. The argument of lasting h ...more
Billy Roper
Jan 12, 2017 Billy Roper rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, highly recommended. I especially enjoyed the earlier half about ancient battles with which I was less familiar. Excellent resource for any fan of military history.
Brendan
Jul 05, 2014 Brendan rated it really liked it
A very good book about the key battles that changed history.

The purpose of the book is to identify the battles that have have had the most significant historical repercussions. Thus, you won't find any battles in here that were fought by great generals whose sides eventually lost such as Hannibal, Napoleon or Robert E. Lee, because the historical outcome would have been the same even if they had lost the battles that they won. Instead, Lacey/Murray have identified battles that "changed history,"
Amy
Sep 21, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok
Let me start off by saying that one should probably disregard the number of stars that I gave this book. They are merely a reflection of how the book and I got along, they are not an accurate reflection on the quality of the book.

Moment of Battle is military history. It covers the twenty battles whose outcome the authors believe changed the course of world history. The book begins with the Battle of Marathon in 490 B.C., and ends with Objective Peach, the Drive for Baghdad in 2003. So it covers
Joaquin Garza
Feb 04, 2016 Joaquin Garza rated it liked it
Shelves: historia
La principal lección que aprendí es: 'Ya aprendiste a llegar sin expectativas a los libros de ficción que lees'. Ahora tengo que hacer lo mismo con los de no ficción.

Este libro es una reescritura y actualización del famosísimo libro de Edward Creasy 'Las quince batallas decisivas del mundo'. A juicio de los autores, las batallas ofrecidas son aquellas cuyo resultado habría alterado dramáticamente la historia.

Como fanático de la historia que soy, llegué deseando muchas cosas. Una narración ágil,
Michael Griswold
Apr 12, 2013 Michael Griswold rated it it was amazing
One won't be able to chide James Lacey and Williamson Murray for lack of ambition in their book "Moment of Battle: The Twenty Clashes That Changed the World."

The authors spotlight twenty battles that changed the world---these are not necessarily the most well known battles of the selected conflicts, but these battles changed or defined the course of battle and in the process human civilization.Each battle takes a section of the book 20-40 pages and the reader is given a brief historical sketch o
Rebecca
Apr 22, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
This is a huge, heavy, fact-packed book. I learned a lot more about history than I did in 4 years of high school by the time I finished Moment of Battle.

The chapters each detail one of 20 momentous military engagements that had a lasting impact on human history. We start all the way back at the battle of Marathon and end in Iraq. I would recommend this for history buffs and people with a keen interest in how war has changed the course of human events.

With very little background in history I wa
Judith L
Jun 06, 2013 Judith L rated it liked it
I have never attempted to read actual military history before MOMENT OF BATTLE. My goal was to just read the chapters of several battles that I recognized, but this book kept my interest and enticed me to keep reading. Early leaders throughout history had developed tactics that modern officers utilized and improved upon to win their specific encounters. Each battle chosen by the authors ultimately changed the world around them. A key to a good book for me is to say that I learned something new a ...more
Craig Fiebig
Jun 21, 2013 Craig Fiebig rated it it was ok
Hmm. If you're going to claim Creasy's mantle you have to produce novel research, incisive insight and prose elevated above Frosh English. Best also not to repeatedly make mis and unattributed quotes. How often in one book, for example, is it necessary to repeat wellington's 'close run thing' (a misquote in itself)? We're it advertised as an introductory survey of important battles and been subject to some editorial guidance this might have received a higher rating as the author's expertise is e ...more
Oma
Jun 23, 2013 Oma rated it liked it
The authors of this book have done a good job of making the history of the western world's pivotal battles interesting reading for the layman. They set the scene for the battle, describe the way it was fought and explain its impact on history. I found the book interesting and easy to read. It was not bogged down in tactical descriptions and language. A good survey of the way war leaves lasting effects beyond the obvious victor/loser tally, but, regrettably, there is some religious bias in the di ...more
Ben
Nov 24, 2014 Ben rated it really liked it
The coverage of the battles in this book and their historical consequences vary in quality. The earlier chapters, pre-Revolutionary War, are masterful. The book gets more uneven as it draws closer to the present. (World War II was very important, I know, but deserving of 4 of the 20 battles throughout all history?) In particular, the final chapter about Iraq seems hastily added on. It says that the Iraq War completely changed world politics, warfare, and diplomacy in the 10 years subsequent, but ...more
Harrison
Oct 10, 2014 Harrison rated it it was ok
Shelves: class
This book is really poorly written. It covers historic battles in an interesting way, but the prose is very annoying. Referring to Sir Francis Drake as a lovable "Sea Dog" is not writing history. Neither is making bad puns and not acknowledging how bad they are - I paraphrase, but there's a line on the Kursk section that is essentially "When Nazi Germany invaded Russia, they faced the toughest general yet--General Winter."
Isaac Lambert-lin
Nov 15, 2015 Isaac Lambert-lin rated it liked it
A good reference for twenty important battles.

They go from Marathon to Object Peach (Baghdad, 2003), and include battles such as Teutoburger Wald and Yarmuk.

The analysis is dry and objective. It doesn't contain many personal accounts of battles, which would be more interesting.

I was unfamiliar with a lot of these battles, and their significance. Even the wars I was alive during, I was not familiar with some of the details provided.
Jean-Paul Adriaansen
Jan 20, 2013 Jean-Paul Adriaansen rated it really liked it
Starting in Marathon (490 BC) and ending with Operation Peach (Iraq 2003), the authors bring up 20 battles that changed the future of our world.
Every battle is analyzed in detail: the historical background, why, where, and how it was fought, the strategies and tactics, and its immediate or future impact on the world.
Very interesting book.
Erika
Apr 30, 2013 Erika rated it it was amazing
This book chronicles several historical battles which have changed the world and humanity. It is written in an easy to read voice and is not too brainy in its treatment of the stories. A very enjoyable book, it will keep you turning the pages.

I was one of the fortunate few to receive a complimentary ARC through GoodReads First Reads and the author.
Dave Hoff
Aug 28, 2013 Dave Hoff rated it really liked it
Battles from 490 - Marathon to 1060 Battle of Hastings, 6 wars not my interest. The remaining battles picked as world changers, I found were well known, but well written. Book concludes with the 2003 Iraq War.
Synthetic Vox
Very accessible, but at times delving too far into detail for the overall theme of the book (roughly ten pages per battle). Further, this is incredibly biased, and should read "...Twenty Clashes that Changed the Western World."
Rick Vanbuskirk
Mar 03, 2016 Rick Vanbuskirk rated it it was amazing
Excellent account of battles that changed our history, for the most part easy read and inciteful! On last chapter made it very interesting since a soldier mentioned went to school with my younger brother!
Mark
Sep 21, 2013 Mark marked it as to-read
Shelves: gave-up-on
Read about halfway... enjoyed the writing & the historical information. Book had to go back to the library - need to check it out again.
Edward
Oct 08, 2014 Edward rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to confess, I started with one or two of the early battles, then skipped to the more recent battles. Gave a good overview of the battle for Kursk, Midway, and Baghdad.
Dave
Dec 19, 2013 Dave rated it really liked it
It was a very well written book; however, it was a great error if judgement not to have included "The Battle of Tours".
David
David rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Mark Elliott
Mark Elliott rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Richard Denne
Richard Denne rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2016
Victoria Moore
Victoria Moore rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Chris Elder
Chris Elder rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Steve Hunter
Steve Hunter rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Daryl Crompton
Daryl Crompton rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Lawrence Kennedy
Lawrence Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • War on the Waters: The Union and Confederate Navies, 1861-1865
  • Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron: The War of 1812 and the Forging of the American Navy
  • The Civil War: A Visual History
  • The Library of Congress Illustrated Timeline of the Civil War
  • Smithsonian Civil War: Inside the National Collection
  • Lincoln and His Admirals
  • Outbreak! Plagues That Changed History
  • Ministers at War: Winston Churchill and His War Cabinet
  • The Gettysburg Address: A Graphic Adaptation
  • 100 Photographs That Changed the World
  • The Great Big Book of Horrible Things: The Definitive Chronicle of History's 100 Worst Atrocities
  • Lost Liners: From the Titanic to the Andrea Doria the Ocean Floor Reveals Its Greatest Lost Ships
  • Lincoln Dreamt He Died: The Midnight Visions of Remarkable Americans from Colonial Times to Freud
  • A Short History of Nuclear Folly
  • Lovers' Lane: the Hall-Mills Mystery (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Malice Toward None