Start by marking “Surviving Columbine: How Faith Helps Us Find Peace When Tragedy Strikes” as Want to Read:
Surviving Columbine: How Faith Helps Us Find Peace When Tragedy Strikes

Surviving Columbine: How Faith Helps Us Find Peace When Tragedy Strikes

The gunshots started to get louder, and I realized they were coming to our section of the library. The shots stopped as they came to our table and set their weapons on the top. My heart was pounding. Our legs were sticking out the back of the table because it was impossible to conceal our whole bodies with three of us curled under it. I began to pray, and at the very momen ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Columbine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surviving Columbine

Tanya W
Sep 24, 2011 Tanya W rated it it was amazing
This was a great book with powerful emotional impact (5 stars for emotional impact and message/ 4 stars for writing). I was reading it while substitute teaching (while the students completed their assigned work). I had to put it away because it was too emotional... especially in that setting.

It was interesting to see the different people who shared their experiences and how they had to deal with the post traumatic stress. It was nice to see them succeed since these kinds of traumas can cripple s
Oct 27, 2011 Abby rated it liked it
I just stumbled across this book at the library and thought it looked interesting enough to read. It's four different perspectives of people involved with the Columbine High shooting - a boy who was shot twice outside and escaped to a tool shed to survive; that boy's mom; a girl on the basketball team whose coach was killed and whose sister was in the same classroom for several hours while he died; and a girl who hid under a table in the library and escaped the notice of the shooters. I remember ...more
Jun 11, 2009 Cortney rated it liked it
After reading Columbine by Dave Cullen, I remembered hearing an interview with young LDS authors who had written about their experiences surrounding the Columbine tragedy. So I dug around and found that this was the book.
It was a decent book. I would give it five stars for perspective. The book was written by four different authors, each telling of their experiences and how they came through the tragedy.

Liz Carlston- a junior at the time of the tragedy. She did not witness any of the shooting. S
Aug 02, 2010 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds, 2010-books, memoir
This is a simply written book narrated by 3 former Columbine LDS students, as well as one of their parents. They each share their story, what they learned, and how they overcame the unimaginable personal struggles, and how their faith helped their hearts to heal. I found this book to be enormously helpful to me. There were some real nuggets of wisdom shared by some very young people forced to grow up too quickly. A worthwhile read that can be completed in an afternoon.
Feb 23, 2008 Sally rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
I wish I could give this book 3.5 stars - somewhere in between like it and really like it. The writing style was a bit amateurish, but considering it is a compilation of memories from REAL people who experienced the shooting tragedy at Columbine, it is forgivable. These first person accounts were at times difficult to read as you imagined the events that took place right before their eyes. However, the insights toward the end of the book were often poignant and touching.
Feb 03, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it
I couldn't put down this touching story of five people who survived the Columbine attack in 1999. Although a violent and tragic event, the survivors all spoke of hope and peace and healing. I hope my kids are never face to face with these kind of circumstances, but this book strengthened my faith that they will be able to conquer the unique challenges they will face in life.
Katie Drake
Oct 14, 2009 Katie Drake rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful. It follows the story of three LDS students trapped in the middle of the Columbine masacre. The author was a student during this time and told a very candid account of her life before, during, and after the tragedy. It helped me understand how when bad things happen it's ok to freak out a little bit. But ultimately if you put your faith in Christ he will heal your soul.
Jun 13, 2008 Sandy rated it really liked it
It was fascinating reading a first-person account of such a tragedy. We all assume that the people who undergo such trials will be affected, but I don't think we realize in what ways. It was very interesting reading about the aftermath--what she had to do to overcome her fears. It definitely goes to show that what happens to you doesn't prevent you from recovering.
Oct 03, 2007 Rayni rated it really liked it
I thought this was an interesting look at Columbine ... the personal reaactions of three participant/victims - and especially how they have come away all the stronger for the experience. The two boys that did this are also victims.
May 09, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
so grateful that Heavenly Father led me to this book and prompted me to read it. some of what i read touched me too personally, too deeply, to be able to express in words right now for others to understand. "you had to be there"
Amy Arsenault
Sep 04, 2012 Amy Arsenault rated it it was ok
Too much religion thrown in there. Didn't like the writing style. Otherwise, an interesting read from the perspective of students that actually survived through columbine. Very uplifting perspectives.
Dec 31, 2008 Shaina added it
This was a good book of personal accounts of this tragedy and how they dealt with it. But I had nightmares after reading it so I try not to read books like this. If you can handle reading these kinds of's excellant how they dealt with it.
Teresa in Ohio
Oct 12, 2011 Teresa in Ohio rated it really liked it
Since rachel challenge. Came to my kids school. My son has been doing a lot of research on this subject. This book told the story from three students and a parent. It. Told of their pain, guilt and there journey after.
Jan 18, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and inspiring book. Instead if looking at all of the horrible things that took place during this tragedy it looks at the positive things that came from it. Yes there was suffering but there was peace as well. So glad this was written.
Jan 27, 2008 Bethany rated it really liked it
This was written in the words of some of those who survived the Columbine shooting. It was really interesting to read real accounts of what happened that day. What a terrifying experience.
Ryan Reeves
May 19, 2008 Ryan Reeves rated it really liked it
Kind of a tough read, but very inspirational as well! Gives an insider's view of the Columbine tragedy.
Aug 10, 2008 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
I loved how this book is told from different people. I liked their experiences during the Columbine tragedy AND how to survive afterwards.
Aug 19, 2016 Jane rated it liked it
I love the stories filled with faith and perseverance in the face of trials. It just needed a better editor.
Jul 12, 2008 Amie rated it liked it
A journal of the members of the LDS church who survived the Columbine shootings in 1999. I enjoyed hearing of the faith that brought them through.
JuliAnne rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Susan rated it it was ok
May 24, 2009
Cherie rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2010
Jared rated it really liked it
May 27, 2008
Kathy rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Arica rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Sandra rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Michele rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Jill rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2010
Ruth rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Riley Worwood
Riley Worwood rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2009