Start by marking “Escape (Unchained, #1)” as Want to Read:
Escape (Unchained, #1)

Escape (Unchained #1)

Daniel and Lori love each other, yet to live as one in 1856, they must escape from the unyielding society that imprisons them.

Lori was born a slave in North Carolina, yet by chance was raised alongside Daniel in a wealthy abolitionist household. The sudden death of Daniel’s mother catapults Lori back into bondage.

Relegated to chattel on a rice plantation, Lori lives in con
Published August 20th 2012 by Maria McKenzie (first published August 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape

Maria
Oct 30, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
Escape is a romance novel, but it's no escapist fairy tale. The obstacles that Daniel and Lori have to face to be together are daunting to say the least. Lori's a slave and Daniel's a free man with abolitionist leanings. Their fight to be together makes compelling reading although some of the obstacles they face are quite horrifying. Yet the book is a joy to read. What warms the heart is Daniel and Lori's simple love for each other and their strong trust in God. It literally shines through ...more
Desere
Oct 11, 2012 Desere rated it liked it
When you first start to read this book you think OK he loves her and will do anything to free her and be with her for the rest of his life kind of romance book.

That unfortunately is not really the case,the author had a good plot and strong characters. The book interested me enough and overall really had a few pages here and there that were very well written,

Having not read anything by this author before I went in open mined but came up short in the end. The author somewhat ventures of the origin
Terri
Sep 07, 2014 Terri rated it liked it
The theme of the book.....a slave women runs away with a white man with abolitionist sympathies seemed like a good read. At the beginning of the book we are introduced to the plantation slave enmironment. I felt once Daniel and Lori decide to leave the plantation and run away to Ohio that the storyline is expressed forward without any substance. The writing is a bit simplistic and many details are omitted. This is the first book of a trilogy. I don't believe I will continue on with the last two ...more
Linda Marie Marsh
This is book one in a series involving a family saga. And it is the love of Lori- a slave, and Daniel- an abolitionist in the 1850's,that starts that story.
I thought it was well-written...I think the author actually cares about the characters she's created...and the reader can't help but get drawn into the book.
The only small drawback is that i did get so involved that i wanted more...i wanted the gaps filled in...a drawback yes, but a compliment to Maria Mckenzie for making the
book come to life
Tynika Goldring
A Good Read!!!

I'm a sucker for forbidden love stories. Lori & Daniel's love was unconditional and it only intensified with each obstacle they faced. I love that the ending of this book took an unsuspecting turn with Lavinia's runaway marriage to Vernon. I can't wait to read part 2.
Genevieve Woods
Jun 15, 2016 Genevieve Woods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy I read the reviews

I have just discovered Mrs McKenzie and I love it. But I must say her into earning of the time gaps and the reviewers despair because of them, prepared me so I was ready for the next-generation. I loved it.
Teresa
Oct 15, 2012 Teresa rated it did not like it
Could not keep my attention. Author may have some goof potential but needs to work on developing her story northern and sticking to what the began to develop as the story line. Be definitive not all over the place . Needs some help but there I'd potential either openness and clarity in the writing.
Yashari Glenn
Mar 08, 2015 Yashari Glenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story about love and faith

This book is not only a book about slavery, but one of trusting in the Lord and love for each other. I really enjoyed the twist towards the end.
Krystle
Krystle rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
rokeisha reid
rokeisha reid rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Ann Henderson
Ann Henderson rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Diane Dulude
Diane Dulude rated it liked it
May 01, 2014
Ginny Kovach
Ginny Kovach rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Kristie
Kristie rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Tracey
Tracey rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Stefanie Molock
Stefanie Molock rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2013
Trisha
Trisha rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Kalda Orso
Kalda Orso rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Helen Ruth Alexander
Helen Ruth Alexander rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Genelle
Genelle rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Sheldon
Sheldon rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Anitra
Anitra rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Clara
Clara rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Peggy Palmer
Peggy Palmer rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Laveda Moore
Laveda Moore rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Johni
Johni rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2016
Nas Dean
Nas Dean rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Courtney Sage
Courtney Sage rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
  • Ruth's Redemption
  • Miscegenist Sabishii
  • The Well-Lived Laugh: Designing a Life That Keeps You Smiling
  • Iron Branch: A Civil War Tale of a Woman In-Between
  • Worth the Price (Hart's Fall, Montana)
  • Dark Prelude
  • One Thing She Knew
  • The Wish
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • Trade Secrets
  • Burning Tigress (Tigress, #4)
  • A Man of Value
  • Hot Under the Collar (Lords of Lancashire #2)
I was a librarian for several years, and librarian, of course, equals book lover! I enjoy curling up with a good book when not writing, or daydreaming about a new novel to write. I'm a sucker for a good love story, and live on a steady reading diet of romantic suspense, thrillers, historical fiction and non-fiction, and biographies.

I've always been a daydreamer, but didn't enjoy reading until I di
More about Maria McKenzie...

Unchained (2 books)
  • Masquerade (Unchained, #2)

“A plantation, Daniel imagined, was like a fetid French whore.  Pleasing to the eye, but hiding the stench of disease beneath fine silk skirts.” 0 likes