Start by marking “Unseen” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  725 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Life for Jake Paris is stable and ordinary--until a mysterious old woman pays him a visit and he begins to have encounters with unruly children everywhere he goes—children only he can see.

When Jake's estranged sister, Holly, finds herself the target of a national serial killer who has chosen her son as his next victim, Jake begins to wonder if there is a connection. Could
Published August 2012 by Amlin Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Unseen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unseen

Elaine Mcdonald
Aug 22, 2012 Elaine Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Shelves: free-books
Free today on Amazon
Nancy
This book was free on amazon. I enjoyed it very much. It dealt with abortion, murder, and kidnapping of children. Jake kept seeing pregnant women, and seeing children, he began to think were ghosts. Nobody else could see the children. Jake could talk with the children, and he could feel them. It became a real page turner the last 30% of the book.

I read this book a couple of years ago. I was at the eye specialist, and looking for a book to read on my Kindle, and I started to read this book again
Kolleen
Jake Paris is a normal enough guy- pretty girlfriend, good job, funny and charming best friend. Suddenly, his whole life is thrown upside-down when he loses his job, starts to see ghost children, and a serial killer abducts his nephew all in the same day.

At first I didn't really like this book. The writing was poor at the beginning and the way the ghost children talked annoyed me. But as the story went on, I realized that this was a murder-mystery with a little bit of the paranormal mixed in. I
Barbara Brink
A compelling and thought provoking suspense thriller! The characters of Jake and his sister Holly were fully fleshed out and easy to connect with and the story was simply a page-turner.
Paula
Jake is having a discussion with his girlfriend when a knock comes to the door. A little old lady is standing there with a white rose and a message. She is emphatic that Jake not let the rose die.

As Jake goes to work, he starts seeing children that no one else seems to see. He is let go from his job and his sister's son Gabe is kidnapped by a serial killer all in the same day.

This was a page turner. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next and why the children had suddenly appeared.

I gave
Cher
Really enjoyed this intense thriller. It was almost 2 stories rolled into 1 book. Nicely written.
Nicole Thompson
Such a beautiful book!

This is my second book by John Michael Hileman and I'm going to look up more after this review. He is such a talented author. This book is so beautifully written, the characters are relatable, you feel compassion, awe, you will feel your eyes well up, and it is definitely not a predictable storyline. I've been bored by books that I can tell what will happen 5 chapters(or more) a head, and his books are satisfying in this department. He's topped on my favorite author list, a
Carol
This is a great read with a lot of creep factor, and tense sub-plots going on. I purposefully don't give much of the plot points away because in this case it would ruin the read. The main character's loser sister "loses" her child most likely to a serial killer. While coming to the aid of a sister he has been estranged from, he sees children no one else sees. He not only sees them, but can communicate with them. I was intrigued right from the start and found I couldn't put the story down. I'm no ...more
Joleen
At the moment I'm reading another book, but my mind keeps wandering back and comparing it to Unseen. Unfortunately, there is no comparison. Current book: slow, dull and often makes me want to say, "Just get on with it already!". Unseen: fast paced, mysterious, and always made me want to know what comes next. Unseen, just like Hileman's Messages, immediately sucks you in, making you want more and not wanting to put it down.
Because of children (and an old lady) that only he can see, Jake begins a
Jane
My goal here is to provide a review that is both honest and fair, without spoilers.

Let me start with what I liked about this book:
1. The book is readable. Although the number of minor errors was somewhat higher than I'm used to, as if the book had received less editing attention, there weren't so many errors that they became really distracting. Overall, the writing was clear and pace were good. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have finished it--I'm picky about that sort of thing.
2. The premise was
Meaghan
Jake Paris starts out as your typical male character. Nice job and a beautiful wife. That, of course, is until a mysterious woman appears with a message for him and them he begins seeing unruly children all around - children only he can see...

Jake's sister, Holly, also finds herself in the middle of terrible situation. Her son has been kidnapped by a serial killer. Jake begins to wonder if these children have been sent to his to help him find his nephew. Have they? If so, what do they know? How
Kim
This story will not end the way you think it will. Yes, it involves a serial killer. Yes, it has children being abducted and families ripped apart. But man, does it trick you! I thought I had everything lined up and knew where it was heading only to have the rug pulled out from under me! For once, I was genuinely wrong about a plot and enjoyed it.

The characters are well written and draw you into their state of mind easily. The only hard part about the entire book was trying to decipher the dial
Cynthia Harkreader
Wish I could rate this book higher than 5 stars

Wow....I've finished the book but can't stop thinking about the characters or story line. This book will stay with me a very long time. This is not just a fun ghost story. The plot is excellent and just about the time you think you know what's going on things change! Suspenseful, edge of your seat stuff, yet will touch your heart. Thank you John Michael Hileman....I will be looking for more of your books.
Vickie
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. It dealt with some very sensitive subjects, which almost kept me from reading it. But the plot grew, developed a subplot, and then I just had to know what happened. Part of me wants to give this book a one star rating for the depressing circumstances these characters faced. Part of me wants to give a five star rating for keeping me guessing, being filled with action, and tying plots together so well.
Jennifer Powell Bowling
I really enjoyed this book even though I was a little skeptical at first. It did get a little weird for me at times, but not so much that it stopped me from enjoying it. I thought some parts were drug out a little and I found myself skimming pages in a few spots, but all in all I enjoyed reading it.
Naty
I have to admit that I was a little skeptical as I started reading this book. I had read John Michael Hileman’s book “Messages” some time ago and somehow at the beginning it seemed to follow the same pattern. So I told myself to just keep reading since I had already started. I’m so glad I did.

The book is very different than “Messages” and their only similarity is that it’s a book you will not be able to put down.

Trying as always not to spoil the book for you, I will try to describe the context
Shirley A Gray
Unseen

This is a very good book!
It has two stories in one book.
It had me hooked with the 'kids'.
The writing/grammar was a bit strange....or was it just the author's style of writing? It was a bit off putting.
I recommend this book despite the writing style.
Jeanne
I really loved the idea of this book... a child goes missing at the same time his Uncle starts to see ghost children. Though at times quite gripping, it did lack the story development I would have liked. Perhaps it did not help that I knew who the killer was from the start.

Rob
Good plot concept, nice twists and ties ins. Was a little light in substance meaning that everything kind of fell into place to easily (like. CSI episode). The book got a bit preachy in the end, but all in all not a bad read.
Robynn Staples
Surprisingly good

Surprisingly good

liked this book a lot. wasn't sure at first as the description didn't seem too interesting. since it was so good I read it very quickly.
Joana
This book had me at hello... seriously. This gripping little thriller was everything I expected from John Michael Hileman and more.

Jake, a young man who has just lost his job, begins seeing ghost children on the same day that his young nephew goes missing. For most of the story he believes that the children are somehow connected to his nephews kidnapping however to the delight of the readers there are two distinct stories developing. This book is action packed and demonstrates a very, very impor
Terri Tribble
Really good!

Started this book last night. It grabbed me right from the start and never let couldn't put it down. Excellent. One of those you can't put down yet you don't want it to end.
Sally Beaudean
Strange, yet fetching

Unseen is just too strange for my taste; yet I found myself unable to stop reading. The author made his characters so believable and vulnerable that I couldn't help wanting to read to the end to learn how conflicts were resolved.
Rebecca Novak
Keeps you guessing

Readers of mysteries and psych thrillers and the paranormal will enjoy this one. Inventive and compassionate writing combine to create a thriller you won't want to put down.
Paula Estevez
Amazing story.

I don't have adequate words...I couldn't put this down. This is a must read for anyone who loves mysteries and who believes in love, God and life. The journey the characters took came to life for me. I gave it 5 stars and if more were available I would have given more. This author is fabulous.
kathleen oaks
Good book

The author builds excitement as the story progresses. Two stories going on. Surprised by the second story line but not disappointed. He's a interesting author.
Bonny Millard
Thrilling Tale

One of the best mysteries I have ever read-original in content! This story is compelling and intriguing. Reader, I sincerely hope you read this one.
Heather

Quick read. Basically 2 story lines going on. Preferred Jake's story to Holly's. 2 separate books would've allowed more character interactions, and more detailed stories. Two different kinds of stories going on - suspense and supernatural. Enjoyed both, but wish there had been more to them. For example, more about the history of Jake and Jenna's relationship, more about the serial killer and the suspect's connections. A lot happened in a short period of time. The purpose of Jake's supernatural
Rebeca
This book was so suspenseful and had you guessing until the end. What a great story. You could feel the characters pain and love come through the pages. Very heartwarming story.
  • Alex
  • Walk in Darkness (Jon Stanton, #2)
  • The Dead Room
  • Grayson Manor Haunting
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • Lost and Found (Walk the Right Road, #2)
  • Child of Silence (Bo Bradley, #1)
  • The Midget's House
  • Hope Road
  • WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For
  • Pinpoint
  • A False Dawn
  • The Hunting Tree Trilogy (Books 1-3)
  • Completely Restored
After serving in the U.S. Army, John Michael Hileman started a small 3D animation company. From there he was hired as production director for a television station, where he oversaw the production of three semi-national television programs. In his spare time, while being a faithful husband and father, he authored his first book, VRIN: ten mortal gods, which later placed in the top four of a nationa ...more
More about John Michael Hileman...
Messages (David Chance Mystery #1) Voices (David Chance Mystery #2) Vrin: Ten Mortal Gods Lies (David Chance #3) The End Came With A Kiss (Beautiful Dead)