Start by marking “Terovolas” as Want to Read:
Terovolas

Terovolas

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews

Texas, 1891 Following the defeat of Count Dracula, Abraham Van Helsing – suffering from violent recurring fantasies – checks himself into Jack Seward's Purfleet Asylum. Once discharged, he volunteers to r
Published November 16th 2012 by Journalstone (first published November 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Terovolas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terovolas

Christopher Payne
Aug 21, 2012 Christopher Payne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: journalstone
Following the defeat of Count Dracula, Abraham Van Helsing volunteers to return the ashes and personal effects of the late Quincey P. Morris (the American adventurer who died in battle with the nefarious Count) home to the Morris family ranch in Sorefoot, Texas.

Van Helsing arrives to find Quincey's brother, Cole Morris, embroiled in an escalating land dispute with a group of neighboring Norwegian ranchers led by the enigmatic Sig Skoll. When cattle and men start turning up slaughtered, the local
Joe Young
Oct 25, 2012 Joe Young rated it it was amazing
A fantasy account of the travels of Professor Van Helsing after his and Quincy Morris' encounter with Count Dracula. The Professor agreed to return Quincy Morris' remains to his ancestral lands near Sorefoot, Texas. While traveling by train from St. Louis, he met an attractive Greek woman, Madame Callisto Terovolas, who he recognized as coming from the Arcadian area. He also felt a strange attraction to her. The engaging story is told trough the writings and journals of a variety of major and mi ...more
Katy
May 25, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoyed "Dracula" or other works by this author
Recommended to Katy by: LTER
Book Info: Genre: Dark Supernatural Thriller
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Bram Stoker's Dracula, those who enjoy supernatural thrillers with a Wild West flavor
Trigger Warnings: mauling, murder, violence, shooting

My Thoughts: One part Western (complete with attempted land grab and cattle rustlin'), one part horror novel, one part supernatural thriller, this book is a lot of different thing that nevertheless manage to come together in a complete whole that is wholly satisfying. It c
Michele
Nov 25, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it
Van Helsing visits … Texas?

‘ “Why must I consistently be the instrument through which evil is confronted and purged from the moral world?” ‘ Such is Abraham Van Helsing’s lament when faced with yet another (possibly) supernatural threat. Recovering from violent fantasies and a nervous breakdown after the events of ‘Dracula’, Van Helsing offers to bring the remains of Quincey Morris, who lost his life in that fight, back to his family in Texas. He meets a beautiful Greek woman on last leg of his
Warren Thurston
Nov 06, 2012 Warren Thurston rated it really liked it
As a work of fiction this book flows quite well. The style of writing is good and the presentation, in the form of characters diary entries a different approach. I found both the characters in the book and the situations they got into believable.

Pagan Rites and the pursuit of a Werewolf through the wilds of Texas provided plenty of action. Professor Van Helsing was relentless in his beliefs and won over Cole Morris, a strong believer in self-reliance, to the fact that the supernatural was indeed
Donna Bonzagni
Nov 11, 2012 Donna Bonzagni rated it really liked it
The concept of this book is good. Using Van Helsing as a hook is also good. The story of Van Helsing in the old West, told via his diary, accounts of a local newspaperman, the Sheriff, and other local characters is a great way to tell the story with overlaps to reinforce details while not seeming repetitive. I did find the dialects a bit overdone at times and some colloquialisms incorrect, but that's just me. I'm an editor at heart.
Van Helsing arrives in the West (specifically Texas) to deliver
Brett Talley
Jun 18, 2013 Brett Talley rated it it was amazing
I admit that when I first opened Terovolas, I was somewhat skeptical. The story of Professor Abraham Van Helsing after his fateful encounter with Dracula? In Texas!?!?! But the power of the story and the skill with which Ed Erdelac tells it had me hooked from the beginning. Here’s the synopsis.

--The personal papers of the enigmatic Professor Abraham Van Helsing are collected and presented for the first time by his longtime colleague and defender, Dr. John Seward.

--Texas, 1891 Following the defe
Pam K.
Mar 01, 2013 Pam K. rated it really liked it
I received this book through Librarything's Early Reviewer Program.

Terovolas takes you to Sorefoot, Texas in the year 1891 & brings back the great paranormal hunter Abraham Van Helsing. A simple quest to return a dear friends ashes to his homeland turns into something much more frightening (and intriguing to Van Helsing).

The story had me enthralled. I am a lover of Dracula and Van Helsing stories, so I knew I would enjoy this. There was plenty of action with very descriptive passages. Even
Georgiann Hennelly
Mar 04, 2013 Georgiann Hennelly rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the story, fast paced and interesting. Terovoles tells the story of the adventures of Van Helsing after his and Quincy Morris , encounter with Dracula. Quincy lost his life in that encounter. And Van Helsing is returning his ashes to his family in Texas. Traveling by train he meets a beautiful Greek women Madame Callisto Terovolas. He feels a strange attraction to her. When he arrives he finds tales of slaughtered men and cattle , is it a rabid lion as the ranchers believe or so ...more
Jen
Apr 04, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Very enjoyable story! Fast-paced, interesting and character driven. Loved the fact that this story included both Norse and (a little) Native American mythology. I would definitely read another book about Van Helsing if this author wrote it!
Loren
Jan 18, 2013 Loren rated it really liked it
I was a chosen winner of the book give away for this book and so it came in the mail two days ago and I have already finished it! This is a fantastic read and even though this is not the type of book I would typically pick up, I really enjoyed it!
Sumiko
Jan 04, 2013 Sumiko rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Terovolas. It's kind of a continuation of the story of Prof. Van Helsing from Bram Stoker's Dracula. A "what if Van Helsing went to Texas and encountered something uncanny there.

Told in epistolary style like Dracula.
Mario
Jun 27, 2016 Mario rated it it was amazing
Set directly after the events in Dracula, Ed Erdelac takes the long lost archive of Professor Van Helsing and unlike Bram Stoker, who thought of it as fiction, goes to narrate a violent and unforgiving tale of supernatural terror set in Texas. Dark powers from the old continent seek to establish themselves in the open fields of the USA, but a fateful visit from Abe Van Helsing will challenge their plans.
Extremely recommended, because it's such an enthralling story that manages to keep the pace a
Chandni
Texas and werewolves and Norse gods, oh my. This was a really strange books. The character of Abraham Van Helsing is already well-known from Dracula. When he goes to return the ashes of Quincey Morris, he becomes part of another paranormal adventure.

This book is a collection of journal entries and newspaper articles. I'm a fan of epistolary fiction, and I liked how it was used in this novel. It was a great way to know the inner workings of all the characters and honestly, I found myself sympathi
Monique
Feb 18, 2014 Monique rated it it was ok
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've been a fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula for a bit more than thirty years, so the idea of following Van Helsing to the United States was intriguing. The author was obviously trying to follow in Mr. Stoker's footsteps with journal excerpts, letters, and newspaper clippings, but I never got quite the same sense of urgency from Mr. Erdelac's work as from Mr. Stoker's.
Mihir
Mar 22, 2013 Mihir rated it liked it

Overall rating = 3 & 1/2 stars

While this book had a very fascinating concept and managed to combine a lot of things under one roof. I can't say I enjoyed Mr. Erdelac's most recent effort as much as his other work. More to come in FBC review...
Jean Hontz
Dec 01, 2012 Jean Hontz rated it liked it
Whatever happened to Van Helsing? He went to Texas, met a mysterious woman on a train, then a bunch of Norse giants, and then got mixed up with newspaper men, cattlemen, Red Indians, and oh, yeah, werewolves.
Jan 29, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a little. It is not one of my normal readings but I thought I would give it a try because I was grateful for winning the book. I think I might read it again and then maybe I will love it.
Rena
Oct 01, 2012 Rena marked it as to-read
I won this book from First Reads Giveaway. Waiting to read it when I receive it. Thanks.
David Vinther
Jun 19, 2016 David Vinther rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, first-reads
Won this one on Firstreads, looking forward to giving it a read. Sounds like a fun read.
Zach Ryder
Zach Ryder marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Kristin Centorcelli
Kristin Centorcelli marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Jeff Bryant
Jeff Bryant rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Jeremiah
Jeremiah rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Johnny Zombie-writer
Johnny Zombie-writer marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Paul Skelding
Paul Skelding marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
  • Vale of Stars
  • Dead Reflections
  • Priestess of the Eggstone
  • Jokers Club
  • Special Dead (Twice Shy, #2)
  • Imperial Hostage (Destruction, #1)
  • The Conjuring Glass (The Phoenix Girls, #1)
  • The Pentacle Pendant
  • Women Scorned
Edward M. Erdelac is the author of the acclaimed Judeocentric/Lovecraftian weird western series Merkabah Rider, Buff Tea from Texas Review Press, Coyote's Trail from Comet Press, Terovolas from JournalStone Publishing, and Andersonville from Random House/Hydra. His fiction has appeared in DEADCORE, Corrupts Absolutely?, Danse Macabre from EDGE Publishing, Murky Depths Magazine, Kaiju Rising, World ...more
More about Edward M. Erdelac...