Start by marking “A Night on Moon Hill” as Want to Read:
A Night on Moon Hill

A Night on Moon Hill

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Swimming is Daphne’s one refuge—until the night she finds a body in her pool.

University professor and renowned author Daphne Lessing has never felt at ease in society. But a disturbing occurrence in her once calm and controlled existence suddenly unearths events from her past and thrusts an unusual child into her life.

Ten-year-old Eric has Asperger’s syndrome and is obsess
Published 2012 by Walnut Springs Press

To ask other readers questions about A Night on Moon Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Night on Moon Hill

Karen
I dove into Mills' book without having read any reviews, so the appearance of the conflict startled me just about as much as it did her protagonist, Daphne. I read 10 chapters in my first sitting when my intent was to just read one now and then finish the book after my final exams. The first third of the novel does a great job introducing the main character Daphne, a university professor who has built a successful life that fits her interests and her personality. She's got everything under contr ...more
Heather
Award-winning author, Tanya Parker Mills (2009 Indie Book Award Winner for The Reckoning), delivers a fascinating story in A Night on Moon Hill when Daphne Lessing’s comfortable routine of life is disturbed when she discovers a body in her pool. The body belongs to her most talented creative writing student, and he’s left a poem for her.

When Daphne realizes that the student’s death is not random, but connected to her hidden past, she is faced with several uncomfortable changes that are about to
Sheila
I picked up A Night on Moon Hill and was immediately surprised about how fast I was pulled into this story.The novel starts with a bang and a big mystery about the body that Daphne finds floating in her swimming pool. Though Daphne seems to be a hard to relate to character, she is very intriguing. As her story and life unfolds, you can't stop reading because you want to know more.

The story becomes even more interesting when 10 year old Eric, a precocious young boy with Aspergers Syndrome, ente
Rosalyn
Daphne Lessing, a reclusive professor and writer, has lived more-or-less satisfied with her life until the night she comes home and finds a favorite student drowned in her pool. The discovery of his identity--and connection to her past--shocks Daphne, but not as much as the discovery that this boy expects her to take on the care of a highly unusual child, Eric, who has Asperger's syndrome. Not surprisingly, this child comes to utterly disrupt and remake her life. The opening of this story was in ...more
Laurie

(MY PICK READ OF THE YEAR!)

Superb writing and complex, heartrending characters combine to make A Night on Moon Hill my pick read of 2012. Author Tanya Park Mills has built an award-winning career by pulling topics and characters out of obscure corners and into the light, and in this most recent book she educates her readers while daring them to leave the next page unturned.

Dr. Daphne Lessing is an accomplished though prickly novelist and University professor. She loves writing while merely to
Terry Deighton
A Night on Moon Hill is a great read. It's suspensful, thoughtful, and endearing. As Daphne changes, so does the style of writing. This is done so seamlessly that you don't even notice it while you are reading. Her story is one of self discovery and opening up to others. As she comes to understand and care for Eric, the boy who is thrust into her life, she comes to understand and care more for herself. It's the kind of book you can read on several differnt levels and enjoy it more each time.
Kelly Nelson
I rounded up from 4.5 starts. What an interesting and informative novel. I loved the insights into life with Asperger's the author shared. It was both an entertaining story with a fun plot, as well as being educationally uplifting for me. The love interest, Clayton, was such a good character. The struggles and decisions some of the characters faced were very thought provoking and had me thinking about A Night on Moon HIll long after I read the last page. Well done!
Valerie Steimle
Sep 08, 2012 Valerie Steimle marked it as to-read
From what I have read of the beginning chapters--this book is a "can't put it down" kind of story!!! Such great writing and interesting twists.
Heather Watson
I loved how Daphne's "quirks" were described. The character development made me love her more with the turn of each page.
Stephanie
Absolutely marvelous! A compelling story with unexpected twists and turns.
Jennifer Hughes
My friends who enjoy LDS fiction/mystery/romance would probably enjoy this book quite a bit. I have conflicted feelings and am having a hard time giving it an all-around rating. Here are some specific areas I'd rather rate:

Believable characters with emotional issues/disabilities: 5 stars (really enjoyed the character with Asperger's)
Independent book/LDS fiction: 4.5 stars
Plot: 3 stars
Romance: 3 stars

I am impressed with Tanya Mills' writing. The poetry she includes as part of the story is especia
A.L. Sowards
So there I am, in the middle of my Whitney reading, thinking maybe general fiction isn’t my thing, and then, three pages in, there's a dead body.

Dead bodies, in my opinion, always add interest to a novel.

A Night on Moon Hill isn’t a mystery (though it has some elements of mystery). The body is quickly discovered to be a suicide, one of the main character’s college students, and also (view spoiler). He had a ter
Fox
I won this book through the fantastic GoodReads first reads programme.

This wasn't exactly your typical mystery, nor was it your typical thriller, or typical book really. Picking it up I initially expected a murder mystery, but then it switched into something far more complicated and intricate. I believe that Tanya Parker Mills did a superb job of working through the bewildering feeling one gets surrounded by circumstances that they can't comprehend. She did a similarly marvelous job of sinking
Josi
I really enjoyed this book, the writing was excellent, the storyline interesting, and the characters fascinating! It was certainly fresh and different from any other book I'd read before. I felt as though I learned a lot as I read this story, specifically how someone with Aspergers might feel and think about the world. Definitely a great read and one that has opened my understanding a great deal. Tanya is an excellent writer and it was fun to see her skill reflected in a different kind of story- ...more
Margaret Larsen Turley
Tanya Parker Mills' novel A Night on Moon Hill is written with skill and insight. I was educated while I was entertained.
Patricia
If you are drawn to books that have characters who have Asperger's, this is a book for you. I am really taken with the author's writing style and want to read more books by her.
Amy
This book was written from the point of view of a woman with autism. It is about families and how sometimes we make our own families and sometimes they are given to us. It was honestly so interesting to read how the author (who has a son with autism) portrayed these characters. I won this book in a book giveaway and I really procrastinated reading it because I wasn't sure what it was about. Somehow I thought it was a mystery, but it turned out to be a charming story of a women's ability to adapt ...more
Carrie Snider
This was a great read. I loved the main character, and felt like I got "inside her head" regarding her quirks. The story itself happened quickly and there were a lot of twists that made it fun. I thought the initial high school romance could have been developed more, and I thought that the new husband's character wasn't someone I really could picture or understand, so I wanted more development there. I loved the ending.
Kathy
About two years ago the author came to our book club, which includes her mother, to discuss her book, The Reckoning and read to us the first chapter of this unpublished book. We waited anxiously for it to come out. It's a good story, well written, about life with a child who has Asperger's syndrome, a mystery of relationships, and a body found in a pool.
Karlene Browning
I liked the premise of this book and it starts off wonderfully. I thought the in-depth look at life from the perspective of someone with Asperger's was great. But it was a little uneven for me. Parts were very tightly written, and others not as much.
Mary Curry
This book was hard to get into (I would have deleted the entire first chapter) and it read as if the author couldn't make up her mind whether she was writing a mystery, a relationship book, or a sermon. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Carol Nicolas
I enjoyed this contemporary story of a woman who is able to overcome her fears, grief, and problems because of the love she has for little Eric. Each of them has challenges, but together they form quite a team.
Carole
This book really drew me in with well-rendered characters and a great plot. The first chapter started off with an unusual and gripping dilemma. I hope to read more from this author.
Andrea
I liked A Night on Moon Hill. I typically prefer a more upbeat book with a faster pace, but the story was interesting. I liked the characters, and thought the story was unique.
An author with social issues decides whether to adopt a boy with Asperger's syndrome. Interesting look at autism spectrum.
Sara
This is such a moving book!! My heart ached heavily throughout the read! I highly recommend this book!
Wendy Pugh
Wendy Pugh marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Shyloh
Shyloh marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
  • Paige (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • The 13th Day of Christmas
  • Love Letters of the Angels of Death
  • Tres Leches Cupcakes (A Culinary Mystery, #8)
  • Within the Dark Hills
  • Safe Passage
  • The Language Of Others
  • Chasing June (June, #2)
  • Of Grace and Chocolate
  • Espionage
  • Mile 21
  • Second Chances
  • The Reluctant Blogger
  • Line of Fire (Autumn Rain, #4)
  • This Ordinary Adventure: Settling Down Without Settling
  • Olivia (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • Altered State
  • Hearth Fires
2024345
Tanya Parker Mills was born on an American Air Force base in Tripoli, Libya that was later bombed into oblivion. It was, perhaps, a fitting precursor to other childhood sites filled with war and contention. During her five years as an American expatriate child in Baghdad, Iraq, her family witnessed two revolutions involving Saddam Hussein’s Ba’ath Party. She was also present in Beirut in 1975 when ...more
More about Tanya Parker Mills...
The Reckoning Too Deep (A Triple Treat Romance)