Start by marking “La Gabbia” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
La Gabbia

Audrey Schulman

La Gabbia

Widely acclaimed throughout the U.S. and Canada, the debut novel from Audrey Schulman reveals a talent as dazzling as the arctic landscape she so brilliantly evokes. THE CAGE is an unparalleled literary adventure -- the story of shy and socially awkward photographer Beryl Findham, and her search for self in the most desolate corner of the Earth, among the most dangerous cr ...more
Published 2000 by Polillo Editore (first published January 4th 1994)

Kip
Oct 29, 2008 Kip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hypnotic book. I am not usually a fan of "evocative" writing, preferring plot and character over writerly gymnastics, but Schulman strikes a perfect balance between the content and chilly style of this book.
Lisa Rathbun
Jul 10, 2012 Lisa Rathbun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brrrr. I pulled myself out of this book and found it hard to believe that it was a beautiful warm green sunny day in July after I'd been immersed in the cold of Churchill, Alaska.

The story moves slowly, almost like a polar bear moving majesticly and slowly across the arctic landscape, but the early chapters reveal to the reader bit by bit Beryl's life. She DOES seem to be in a cage - whether that be her fear, her family, her body itself. This story is a tale both of decrescence and growth. How
Zach
Apr 04, 2012 Zach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book.....wow. I am so close to giving it 5 stars. I have rarely been so compelled to read on, to see these characters through one of the most harrowing, unimaginable experiences I've ever encountered in fiction. While I was in the final chapters, where things really "heat up" (as much as things can "heat up" in the Arctic Circle), I was trembling, really trembling, with tension from the suspense, drama, danger, and fear I felt on behalf of these characters. They're "real people" in that the ...more
Brenda
May 18, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is both light and heavy backlit by the beauty and remoteness of the Arctic. It is at once about triumph and perseverance, and trudges through the inner world of the characters as they traverse the outer world around them. It offers a captivating and intimate portrait of a woman who escapes her life and finds herself. I would highly recommend it if you are a fan of nonfiction Arctic / Antarctic literature.
Melissa
Jan 19, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So close to being 5 stars. Fascinating & exciting.
Pamela Pickering
Aug 21, 2009 Pamela Pickering rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Abandoned this a couple of weeks ago. Too much stuff going on inside the head for my taste. I couldn't find the story due to too much introspection. Bring on the bears!
Lauren
Mar 11, 2017 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Cage by Audrey Schulman is an interesting look into the life of animal photographers, polar bears, and those living/working in the Arctic. The book contains a lot of detail (Sometimes to much for my liking). Four people risk their lives to get pictures of polar bears for National Geographic. The risk they took and struggles they face are realistic and life threatening. Those photos we all love, can involve great sacrifices. Not everyone can survive in the Arctic.

Recommended for those that l
Robbie
Mar 10, 2010 Robbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult
Recommended to Robbie by: Library
Audrey Schulman wrote a very compelling novel with her book, “The Cage”, complete with the theme of survival and trust. Her detailed and sincere style of writing was quite admirable and the text seemed to leap off the page and come to life, with her believable plot.

The main protagonist, Beryl Findham, makes her living as a photographer. She applied for an assignment for a magazine called “Natural Photography”, in which she would travel to Churchill, Manitoba and photograph polar bears in their A
Fredsky
Jul 16, 2010 Fredsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those living in hot, sticky climates, and nature photographers
Beryl, a successful nature photographer, lands the job of photographing polar bears in the arctic from the vantage point of a small metal cage. The expedition is run by a major nature magazine, professional in every way, but not by any means safe. Beryl wins the job because she is small enough to fit in the cage. There are three men on this trip, two photographers and a young guide, and together they endure (up to a point) a stake-out from a custom-built bus that is meant to last two weeks. When ...more
Rebecca McNutt
May 05, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely gripping and suspenseful survival story, The Cage takes a woman standing up for her rights as a photographer and spins it into an intriguing survival story in the frigid, vividly-described Canadian wilderness. This book was written with loads of depth and creativity, and is right up there with My Side of the Mountain and Hatchet (in my opinion) for survival stories.
Brian
May 17, 2014 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating narrative about a photographer on an expedition in Churchill, Manitoba. A lot of description about how polar bears see us as a food staple and we see ourselves differently. Are they right? Some development of the characters but none make it to three dimensions. The story in the latter half of the book picks up with some suspense. It is a quick read. Reminded me of my youth in the frozen north. I still have the chill blains. (did I spell that write?)
Patty Chavez-Temaat
Loved this book! I was there with this girl, cold, afraid,claustraphobic, horrified! My only experience with polar bears is from my stuffed animal collection when I was a child, well they are not cute and cuddly, they are vicious animals! A must read for anyone who likes small powerful books!!
Maggie
Mar 11, 2008 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book - some of it was a bit made-for-movies, but the story didn't get lost in the drama. There's a part about being vegetarian and about survival that really delighted me (in a way you wouldn't expect, Agnes!), but I won't tell you more than that.
Dee
Nov 30, 2009 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a real page-turner. A woman gets a job photographing polar bears in Alaska primarily because she is small enough to fit in the cage designed for the photo-shoot. I knew it was going to end badly, but not quite as badly as it did.
Deb
Dec 24, 2012 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really strong adventure story and a great premise, but the writing was a little weak. And I hate endings that leave you hanging.
Shonna Froebel
Jun 21, 2013 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Woman who goes to the arctic to take close-up pictures of polar bears. In part of it she sits in a small cage out by itself and is approached by polar bears who try to reach her in the cage.
Monica Goyal
Aug 25, 2010 Monica Goyal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written book.
Lynette Hall
Feb 14, 2009 Lynette Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this on the hottest day of the summer, it will cool you down.
Becky
Feb 27, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Polar bears. Arctic expedition. Snow/ice. Frostbite.
Polly James
Sep 11, 2014 Polly James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't describe this book - which I bought on a whim - except to say that I thought it was sublime. Read it. Then you can try to find a way to describe it too.
Tarryn
This book broke my heart but brought an unusual light to my soul. This book is beautiful.
Susan Flythe
Jul 07, 2012 Susan Flythe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually enjoy this kind of book but wow it was really interesting. Stayed in my head for years after reading it. I highly recommend this page turner.
Joanie
Nov 02, 2009 Joanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book I don't usually read but Beryl took you into her life and showed how you can win and know yourself if you really try. Give yourself credit where credit is due!
Julia Flath
Oct 18, 2014 Julia Flath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-evan-to-read
another gripping tale of how human versus large beast/nature can go awry in unexpected ways, like her book Three Weeks in December
Laurel King
Apr 28, 2014 Laurel King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stayed up until 1:00 a.m. to finish this book. Once you get past a certain point you won't be able to put it down. I'm anxious to read Audrey Schulman's next book, THREE WEEKS IN DECEMBER.
Nancy
Dec 20, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very suspenseful
Kristi
Could've been more interesting if the characters had been more developed. Main character was strange and hard to understand. The ending? Well, it came too soon.
Sonic Banana
Sonic Banana rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2013
BookishBelle
BookishBelle rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Grand Ambition
  • The Birthday Boys (Bainbridge, Beryl)
  • The Ascent
  • The Climb Up to Hell
  • The Last Run: A true story of rescue and redemption on the Alaska seas
  • Coming Back Alive: The True Story of the Most Harrowing Search and Rescue Mission Ever Attempted on Alaska's High Seas
  • Trial by Ice: The True Story of Murder and Survival on the 1871 Polaris Expedition
  • The Man Who Ate His Boots: The Tragic History of the Search for the Northwest Passage
  • Death Zone
  • One Life at a Time, Please
  • Survivors of Stalingrad: Eyewitness Accounts from the 6th Army, 1942-43
  • Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition)
  • The Good Patient
  • Flying off Everest: A Journey from the Summit to the Sea
  • Off the Map: Tales of Endurance and Exploration
  • The Disappearing Girl: Learning the Language of Teenage Depression
  • Prisoners of the North
  • George and Martha Back in Town
Audrey Schulman is the author of three previous novels: Swimming With Jonah, The Cage, and A House Named Brazil. Her work has been translated into eleven languages. Born in Montreal, Schulman now lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
More about Audrey Schulman...