Start by marking “Brooklyn Love” as Want to Read:
Brooklyn Love

Brooklyn Love

Published September 17th 2012 by Crimson Romance

To ask other readers questions about Brooklyn Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brooklyn Love

Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Brooklyn Love is an EPIC read for anyone who has even been in love or is looking for love. This story is about three girls who are Orthodox Jews and their parents expect them to marry in the Jewish ways. This book is such a breath of fresh air because it really pulls the strings of your heart. Love is supposed to be something we are supposed to feel and grow into not something that is planned and prepared for us like our next meal.

Rachel loves a Rabbi who is struggling. Rachel's mother has other
Pam
Oct 22, 2012 Pam rated it it was amazing
Many women love a good romance story. I can occasionally be found reading a juicy chick lit novel, especially during the summer when I want to relax.

Never in my wildest imaginations would I envision myself reading an Orthodox Jewish love story. I just never thought these things existed. To be sure, I read alot of books about Jews and their plight in history(Anne Frank, The Zookeeper’s Wife, The Giver, Sarah’s Key, I am Forbidden) but Brooklyn Love, by Yael Levy, is a tale of 3 young Jewish women
Ellen
Feb 22, 2013 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Romance Orthodox style. Fast fun read!
The Styling Librarian
Oct 09, 2012 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
Review of Brooklyn Love by Yael Levy:

Most know that I normally have not written book reviews in this style but I've taken on two books recently to officially review. I'm still quite brief when I review though.

I sat and thought about the premise of Brooklyn Love for quite a while. Orthodox Jewish young women with the weight of their parents expectations and religious restrictions on their shoulders and the hope of love guiding them into their future. Reflecting on the fact that I adored the Faye
Reader's Paradise
Nov 02, 2013 Reader's Paradise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
How long has it been since you enjoyed a book from page one? Well I can tell you once you begin reading you will enjoy the characters and the story line. All three characters Rachel, Leah and Hindy want to do what’s right but matters of the heart make it difficult for this trio.
Jacob Zohar has Rachel’s heart, but how can she bring him home to her mother, he’s not a doctor nor a lawyer, but a Rabbi. Not exactly what her mother has in mind for Rachel.

Leah’s is young and ready to date; it’s unfortu
Lovey Dovey Books
Aug 26, 2012 Lovey Dovey Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brooklyn Love is an amalgamation of romance and straightforward reality. Yael Levy presents the Orthodox Jewish dating seen so realistically that anyone not familiar with the religion or its customs will fully appreciate the story. Brooklyn Love is light-hearted and serious at the same time, sending readers on an emotional roller coaster they won't soon forget.

Levy may only be scratching the surface when it comes to sharing how this Brooklyn Jewish community works, but the surface is riddled wit
A.
Feb 14, 2013 A. rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED Brooklyn Love! I love happily-ever-afters with no sex scenes but lots of romance-and it fit the bill perfectly. As an Orthodox Jewish woman myself, I felt very connected to this book, but would have been happy to share it with my non-Jewish friends as well. When I had to put "BL" away before Shabbos (because I was reading it on an e-reader) it was painful-so painful. Now that I'm done, I'm learning for Yael Levy's next book to come out. (Thank goodness it's less than 10 days a ...more
Tami
Feb 25, 2013 Tami rated it liked it
Great idea, writing needs work.
Kayla
Sep 13, 2013 Kayla rated it really liked it
Brooklyn Love by: Yael Levy

Review by: Kayla Hines

Synopsis: “For any young woman, it can be hard to follow the rules … especially when you’re falling in love.

But for Rachel, Hindy, and Leah, it’s especially hard. Because as Orthodox Jews, they live by a whole different set of rules. No touching a guy—any guy!—before marriage. No dating—unless they are considering marriage—and then, only marrying a man who rates high on their parents’ checklists.

All Rachel’s mother wants for her daughter is to see
Michelle
Nov 26, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Before reading Brooklyn Love, my comprehension of the Orthodox Jewish faith was very limited. Whether you are a member of this community or not, it is a story for anyone who has ever been in love or wants love. Usually when one thinks of dating, there are presumptions of intentions with the understanding that time and getting to know each other would determine the direction of the relationship. To my surprise, this book brought a new perspective of love within the cultural norms of a community t ...more
Jalynn Patterson
Sep 09, 2013 Jalynn Patterson rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

All Rachel’s mother wants for her daughter is to see that her daughter marries well. Naturally,
Jackie
Mar 05, 2013 Jackie rated it it was ok
2.5 An interesting look at a community about which I knew little -- NYC orthodox American Judaism-- and its dating and mating habits. Relationships and marriages arranged through matchmakers; immense pressure to marry early and to procreate often (to perpetuate the race after the ravages of the Holocaust decimated it); almost as great pressure to marry for money and prestige; men and women not allowed to touch one another before marriage -- at times it felt as if I were reading a historical roma ...more
Crystal
Oct 19, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
I found Brooklyn Love to be a very fascinating and entertaining read. I have to admit I did not know a lot about Jewish customs before reading this book. So, I found it interesting. I am always interested in learning something new.

Yael Levy has written a very touching story about young ladies of the Jewish faith trying to find their way in the world.

Rachel's mother wants her to marry for security. She thinks she has found the perfect man to marry or at least perfect in her mother's eyes. This is
Alexia
Sep 23, 2013 Alexia rated it really liked it
I don't know much about the Jewish culture so it was a new experience to read a book that focused so much on the Jewish culture. The idea that getting married is based on stability rather than love is so hard for me to understand. When and if I ever get married, I want it to be for love. I don't want to marry someone I am not attracted to or who treats me like dirt.

Leah, Hindy & Rachel don't have that luxury. They are surrounded by immense family pressure to settle down and start a family. E
Anna Olswanger
Jan 30, 2013 Anna Olswanger rated it it was amazing
Booklyn Love is a humorous and heart-breaking story that draws readers into the often mysterious and misunderstood Orthodox Jewish community. Nineteen-year old Orthodox Jewish art-student Rachel Shine has to choose between following her heart and and the man her community insists she marry. Bicultural readers in particular will relate to the characters' dilemma of feeling forced to choose between community and individuality (something common, I understand, in East Asian and South Asian communi ...more
Susan
Aug 16, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Why shouldn't Orthodox Jews have the opportunity to read category romance novels? The challenge to the author is to convey attraction and something resembling passion within the constraints of a society that doesn't allow touching before marriage. Unfortunately there are too many one-dimensional characters (all bad/all good) and lots of Big Misunderstandings that could have been cleared up with one conversation. But I give Yael Levy credit for dipping a toe into the romance novel pool and for po ...more
Sherry
Nov 15, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it
Good contemporary romance. It is funny and tragic too.

It was interesting to learn about how the Orthodox Jewish folks in New York live. Much of it seemed really strange but a lot of that was just the city setting(I'm a rube from the boonies).

This is not a quick read...it does hold your attention but if you don't have quite a bit of time to devote to it you will find yourself being interrupted by annoying things like...dinner.

So I recommend you save it for one of those days when you don't have
M. B.
Jan 14, 2014 M. B. rated it it was ok

I HATE romance novels! Yet, when I saw that the characters in this book were also orthodox Jews, I knew I had to read it. I almost quit reading early on because the mothers of the girls in the book were stereotypical-Jewish-mother-caricatures. I loved that one of the main characters (Rachel) was an art student. I could relate! My favorite character (by far) was Hindy because I felt as if she had the most depth of character. I would have liked to have known more about her life. Was the book reali
Renee
Sep 09, 2013 Renee rated it liked it
Shelves: mmm-2013
My Thoughts: I always enjoy clean romances which is why I read lots of Amish fiction so I thought Orthodox Jewish fiction would be a nice change of pace. Overall, I enjoyed the stories. At times I got characters confused because there were so many but a quick look at the back cover and I was good. The hardest part for me were all the Jewish words (not sure if they are Yiddish or Hebrew). I was familiar with some having grown up in CT with lots of family in NY but lost on many; a list of terms wi ...more
Rachel
Aug 02, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
An easy read. However, I had issues with some of the ways she portrayed Orthodox Jews in Brooklyn - which have been addressed in other reviews. I liked the characters, though I would have liked to see their interactions a bit more. I had trouble keeping track of who was who sometimes, but that just came from a few too many characters. Overall, I enjoyed it and would recommend it - if you can find it for less than $3.00
Adele Goetz
Mar 11, 2013 Adele Goetz rated it it was ok
When I read on Tablet about an Orthodox romance novel, I knew I had to read it. 4 girls living in modern day, watching "Teen Mom" on the internet, yet still beholden to rigid traditions is an intriguing concept. The execution was only so-so...all the characters were either "good" or "bad", and the "happily ever afters" were completely depressing.
Shifra
Mar 06, 2013 Shifra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. If you have any curiosity about living in the heart of Brooklyn, Boro Park to be exact as young women getting ready to find their soul mate and get married this book is a wonderful honest depiction of their lives. So fun.
Dorre
Apr 24, 2013 Dorre rated it liked it
a look into the orthodox dating and marriage scene ... its a good read but kind of read like an inside joke that if you didnt know the lingo you might not get...
Pam Kaminsky appelbaum
interesting book. reminded me of the Torah story of Jacob and his wives in a modern twist. brought back memories of Brooklyn.
Gloria
Feb 28, 2016 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

On find the world of the Orthodox Jews very interesting. I plan to do more reading about these deeply religious people.
Marianna Moss
Aug 03, 2013 Marianna Moss rated it liked it
Interesting story, but pretty bad writing, including very poor editing. Found a few grammar errors.
Jd
Jul 04, 2013 Jd rated it it was amazing
A deep and insightful look into love and marriage that transcends all cultures. Wonderful commentary on life and relationships. Highly reommended!
Yael Levy
Sep 07, 2012 Yael Levy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Renee Weingarten
Renee Weingarten rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2015
  • Yentl's Revenge: The Next Wave of Jewish Feminism
  • Life After Yes
  • Exploiting My Baby: Because It's Exploiting Me
  • Sima's Undergarments for Women
  • Heart of the City: Nine Stories of Love and Serendipity on the Streets of New York
  • Kaaterskill Falls
  • The Modern Jewish Girl's Guide to Guilt
  • Holding My Breath
  • Abby Lynn: Verborgen im Niemandsland (Abby Lynn, #4)
  • Family Happiness
  • Slipping Reality
  • Rebecca: An American Girl (Rebecca #1-6)
  • Hope Will Find You: My Search for the Wisdom to Stop Waiting and Start Living
  • House Under Snow
  • Cracked Open: Liberty, Fertility, and the Pursuit of High-Tech Babies
1925624
A freelance illustrator and journalist, Yael Levy has been published in numerous venues, including The Jerusalem Post during her three-year stay in Israel just east of the bustling capital city of Tel Aviv.

She holds a degree in Illustration from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City. But it’s the questioning journalist inside her that has launched a new career in writing literature.
More about Yael Levy...