Hold Still

Hold Still (The Bestiary)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Esen has spent his entire life an outcast, and he threw out his last chance at fitting in when he broke the engagement his family worked so hard to arrange. Sent to the royal palace to fulfill one last duty, he counts the hours until he is literally left homeless and destitute. But hiding away in the royal garden, he accidentally overhears a private conversation and meets...more
ebook
Published November 21st 2012 by Less Than Three Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Hold Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold Still

Deeze
A delightful and magical tale. I am fast becoming hooked on Megan Derr's magical worlds lol.

Esen is a delightful character and for me an unusual one, I don’t think I’ve ever read about a Sylph before. Gaston is the perfect match for him. Together they make a beautiful little romance.

This is an entertaining and interesting tale and I look forward to seeing what other authors can do with this theme.
Heller
Definitely a bestiary with lots of fantastical creatures within the pages of this story. A fast paced story which I wished had been longer so the relationship between Esen and Gaston could have been developed more but they had a wonderful chemistry. I loved Esen's nature as a Slyph so interesting and original.
Ami
Truthfully, this wasn't my personal favorite (nor Megan Derr's best, IMHO). I thought the story lack of development on characters and I couldn't feel that connection between Esen and Gaston. However, it still retained Megan Derr's signature style -- imaginative world building (a chimera!) and sexually tame story...
Arthur

Esen was a Sylph, an airy creature that can fly with wind. Gaston was also a creature, but whose nature was mysterious. He often had to go somewhere to do the Queen's biding. When Gaston had to talk to the centaurs who lived in the mountain area where Esen grew up, he hired Esen to be his guide. Slowly, their relationship turned into something else. Could it be last, when Esen learned that Gaston was not a common man?

I find most Megan Derr's stories are like Sylphs. They are like moving...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.25*
I have a soft spot for Ms Derr's stories there is always something about them that I enjoy.
Poor Esen has been treated poorly by his family for his entire life, deserted, a used and when he refused to a marriage they wanted disowned.
He wishes for someone to ground him, his nature as a wind sprite makes it his most fervent wish for a love to keep calling him back.
I also really liked his appreciation for pretty things and lots of color, he really is cute.
Gaston, wow a Chimera, I would love to...more
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

Esen is a Slyph, a wind elemental, about to lose his home and place in society. He was sent away to live on Mount Chiron with an old maid as a child because of his weak and frail nature, and only in the last few years called home and made into a proper Slyph. Only, he can't seem to be what they want him to be, and others continually rebuff him. To make his situation worse, he's called off the arranged marriage his parents set up with a wealthy and co...more
Teetee
Ah, I am such a fan of this author; this was another enjoyable story of hers! A short one with two interesting characters, a few surprises between them, and a satisfying love story with a mythological touch. This author packs a lot into any of her works, and you always get your money’s worth! Esen was a lovable if a bit self-effacing young man who is down on his luck and whom you immediately want to be happy, and Gaston is the confident fellow who wins his lovers heart, despite having a few secr...more
Pete W
This one bore all Ms. Derr's signature styles. The downtrodden MC who, despite being beaten down by life, still retain the steel core strength of character that make them the survivor and not just merely victims.

Esen managed to stay true to his feelings and not compromise his happiness of the sake of his controlling family. Although this is a short story, I felt that it was actually longer by the subtle hints and implications and the read between the lines things that peppered through out the th...more
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
To me this was just a wonderful wonderful light, happy and romantic read. It was all that I love from Megan Derr condensed in this incredibly short story (I definitely wish it was longer!). Her writing, the very likeable characters, sweet non-explicit romance, it made this a very easy-on-the-mind and enjoyable read.

Though I agree that her characters are perhaps not as developed but really, I think it was definitely satisfactory for such a short piece of work.

I enjoyed it very much!
Alaska

This short story felt like the start to a new series, a teaser. I'd like to read more about the world because I like Megan Derr's world-building but there was not that much mentioned. I liked the characters but there could have been a bit more conflict, not just in the relationship but with Esen's parents, the court etc.
But it still is a good short story and I enjoyed it.
JC
Jan 16, 2014 JC rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This was short but cute and the characters were all mythical creatures which made them fun to imagine. Wish it had more of a plot, though. 3.5 stars
blub
A wonderful short story. I enjoyed the light flirtatious/coy undertones between Esen and Gaston. The character building was adequate and gave enough background on both MC's. I thought the world building could have been better but what was given was good enough to give readers an idea of how the world was setup.
Mammarella
It might not be a full-length book with deep exploration of characters and their relationship, profound world building and epic events, but I loved it regardless and enjoyed the secrets and the magic, however little there was. Just something about Megan Derr's shorts that I always find comforting. 4 stars.
Lady*M

As always, Derr's imagination is great and a sketch of the world she give us here is intriguing enough that I would probably read another story in this setting.

However, characters are barely there (Esen is somewhat more developed) and plot is one cliché after another. Too bad.
Fehu
While I enjoyed this one I had hoped there would be some more conflict. How did the parents react? Or Esen's ex-fiance to his new relationship with Gaston. Honestly I thought this was too smoth and too easy, in the romance department.
K
I'm not really a fan of short stories as to me they never feel complete, however, this one did.
Blackrei
2.5
that's why I don't like short story : it feels incomplete and you want more
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
  • The Fairy Gift
  • Love & Patience
  • Signal to Noise
  • Honour
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
less...more
More about Megan Derr...
The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1) The High King's Golden Tongue (Love is Always Write) Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2) Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1) Prisoner (Kria, #1)