Blinded by the Sunlight: Surviving Abu Ghraib and Saddam's Iraq

Blinded by the Sunlight: Surviving Abu Ghraib and Saddam's Iraq

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Here was a prison where healthy men would beg hospital patients to spit into their mouths so that they could contract a disease and get a comfortable bed in the hospital ward. Inside these walls was a system of spying, paranoia, and punitive violence that was a distillation of the society that lay beyond the walls. For eight terrifying days in March 2003, while Baghdad was...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Harper Paperbacks (first published 2004)

Justin Rose
McAllester's experience is told in terms of people, not numbers, enemies, and military lingo. Being a war vet, I am cautious about war books trying to fit in a niche, or trying to make a point. This author was honest about his own personal changes, and how he perceived his circumstances and the people around him. I am grateful to Mr. McAllester for putting in words what many of us experience when placed in foreign cultures and circumstances.
Nick
Although the author's weeklong imprisonment in Abu Ghraib, inspired this book, it really cover's the experiences of the Iraqi people under Saddam's rule. The author's interviews with both, the Iraqi prisoner's and the regime's interrogators was very interesting.
Emily Johnson
Matt was my professor in journalism school and he's the real deal. Fantastic storyteller and journalist. He took a traumatizing personal experience and used it to illustrate the horror faced by all Iraqis. Definitely a worthwhile read.
Molly
This book was very interesting read.
Jana Vanlaar
Jana Vanlaar marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Christina Henderson
Christina Henderson marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
Christopher Yard
Christopher Yard marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Arlene Papaioannou
Arlene Papaioannou marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Ozkat
Ozkat marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2012
Tisha
Tisha marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2011
Sanjina
Sanjina marked it as to-read
May 29, 2008
Wafia
Wafia marked it as to-read
May 05, 2008
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2007
Bittersweet: Lessons from My Mother's Kitchen Beyond the Mountains of the Damned: The War Inside Kosovo Speech and Equality: Do We Really Have to Choose?