Valley of Dust

Valley of Dust

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Even as a little girl, Selene had always been adventurous, climbing trees and finding new adventures in every nook and cranny. She was never accepted by either gender—all children thought she was too outspoken and strange. Little did she know how different she truly was until an encounter with a mysterious stranger changes her life forever. Readers can witness the intrigui...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Xlibris

To ask other readers questions about Valley of Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valley of Dust

Sarika Patkotwar
Actual Rating: 3.5

Author Karoleen Vry Bucks sent us (The Readdicts) a copy of Valley Of Dust for reviewing. I just finished reading it.

I found Valley of Dust very, very interesting. Initially, I thought it would be like any other regular paranormal romance. But there was so much more to it than just that. In Valley of Dust, you are introduced to some new, fresh and quite different concepts.
Valley of Dust is about a species called as strigoi, who can inject life and also drain it from another p...more
Flora Bateman
I received a free copy of this in exchange for my honest review.

When I first started reading this book I had my doubts about whether or not I would like it. But by the time I was done I did like it. I would even probably stretch this up to 3.5 stars because the underlying story definitely has an original twist to it and I liked the direction it was taking by the end.

Its difficult to talk about this book without giving spoilers but I shall do my best to do just that. It certainly was not what I...more
Karoleen Brucks
Sep 07, 2012 Karoleen Brucks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)

I enjoyed writing this book. I worked with a great editor and cover artist. I know as a writer we have to have thick skin or else we'd break in a day. Amazon offers a free inside preview and I hope if your interested you will test it out for yourself. Thank you.
Mary
I was contacted by the author to read and review this book. It sounded good and I want to thank Karoleen for the copy of this book.

Best part of the book: Talk about a LOVE TRIANGLE! The blurb does it no justice! Y'all know that I love a good Love Triangle and this one is good! I am totally #TeamLucian !! I liked him from the start. Now, I am going to have to be careful about this review a bit because the book is jam-packed full of information and I don't want to spoil anything. However, this is...more
Melissa Mason
Selene always felt like she didn’t belong, whether it be her family or school mates. She uses art as a channel, and is a bartender on the side at night. During a jog one evening, Selene is accosted and a mystery man comes to her rescue. She quickly discovers that there is a side to herself that she never knew about. While healing she meets Lucian and stays at his house to recuperate. A love connection forms but there are a lot of bumps in the road.

There is a love triangle in this book, but it do...more
Ryan
From a guys perspective I did not find the book corny for being in the romance genre. Interesting concept on strigoi's; I look forward to know more about them. The heroine's mood was very interesting and I enjoyed seeing her grow stronger. Look forward to reading again from this author.
Jillyn
Jan 26, 2013 Jillyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: blog
I don't really have a long review for this one. It's mediocre. It reads to me more like a creative writing paper in school than a book, but it has a good concept. It just wasn't my thing, overall.

Thanks to Flora and From the Bootheel Cotton Patch blog for my copy.
Matthew Leeth
The story intrigues. The writing fascinates with it's unique quality. The characters entice. A beautiful paranormal romance with darkness surrounding it.
Barbara ★
I thought this story was just mediocre. It reads like a first draft that wasn't improved upon by an editor or even a beta-reader. For example, halfway through the book the detectives named changed from Michael Jones, to Michael Brown and then back again a few chapters later. All the characters were two-dimensional and Selene just accepted really bizarre things without a blink. It was totally unrealistic and when she suddenly (view spoiler)...more
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books

This was a hard review to write, as I like to be nice, but do need to point out stuff I didn't like about this book, but also point out what I did like as well.

Let’s start with the Good

This book has a pretty good concept of the Strigoi, which after I looked it up I found it comes from Romanian folklore, they are also known as immortal vampires, but suck energy from people not blood. (In this story that energy source varies from one person to the other) Selene is an elemental strigoi so she sucks...more
Emily
RATING : 3.5 Stars

I enjoyed Valley of Dust thoroughly.
Karoleen makes a fresh take on the concept of vampires in the form of the strigoi. I have just looked it up, and apparently in Romanian folklore, Strigoi are also known as immortal vampires.

The plot is interesting, with many twists and action that will keep you on the edge of your seat. However, at some points, the events that occur are almost too convenient.
I was rather meh to Selene at first. However, she did grow on me as I read on. I...more
White Wave
I noticed that this is the author's first book and I think she did a really good job. I give it four stars instead of five because I would like to have seen Selene's world expanded more. I am quite curious about the other characters and some of Selene's deeper thoughts and past. I also think the author could make some of the dialog smoother and easier to understand.
I love the cover art; that always draws me in. I love her descriptions of Selene and picture a beautiful, strong woman, but would a...more
Roice
I can finally say that I finished this book. First I'd like to say sorry to Karoleen for taking this long to post my review. My little sister kind of got it stolen at school. I got it back yesterday and finished it as fast as possible, disregarding all the scratches on the cover. Anyways, as overdue as it is, here's my review.

I found "Valley of Dust" to be refreshing and enchanting. A nice change from all the books that seem to be repeats of each other. The characters are indeed original, I had...more
Atzimba
I think this book was okay overall. It definitely has potential to become something more given that the story needs to be more development.
An example would be that the main character, Selene, is a live "strigoi". There's no explanation or meaning of the word "strigoi". Where did the strigoi derive from? In the book, it says that strigoi can be born from regular humans. Does that mean it's just a genetic flaw? While reading I constantly had questions building up in my head that went unanswered. I...more
Martin Rodriguez
I won a copy of this book and I can't thank Karoleen enough. I read the free preview on Amazon and now I can't wait till I get my copy !

This review will be updated as soon as I finish the whole thing.

Sam Kasbrick
DNF Explanation:

How far I got: 44%

Okay, so Valley of Dust's narration is quite strange. It alternates the type of narration as well as the point of view. The first chapter is told as first person narrative, through the POV of Selene. Then, the second chapter is told as third person narrative, through the POV of Lucian. I found that to be very weird. This didn't turn me off, however; it was other things...

So, there were plenty of spelling mistakes and basic grammatical errors. Not to mention all...more
Brooke Banks
I won this in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

Summary : I enjoyed it and do plan on continuing the series. I found the plot and storyworld an intriguing breath of fresh air. It's in a compressed package that I wish was more in depth, brought more background and showed more meat instead of the lean, sometimes jumpy, telling, convenient book we have now. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book and I do recommend it. I just think it has far more potential and hope it lives up to it in the followi...more
Julia Taraszewski
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I was super excited when I got it in the mail!

As I started reading it immediately, I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. However! I grew to love the story right after the beginning. The intertwining of strigoi and human lives was great. It was very interesting to read this new take on vampires.

I always like the bad guy as much if not more than the hero. I was rooting for Anton half the time. I thought it really weird and unrealistic that he woul...more
Lauren
Alright, I'm going to start this review out by saying that I give props to Ms. Brucks for even writing a book and getting it published. That is certainly an accomplishment. That being said, unfortunately the book was awful. There was no character building and what back stories I read about were so fleeting and ill placed, they didn't make sense. Not to mention much too short to warrant being there. Who were these gypsies and why did they hate the strigoi so much? How were live strigoi chosen an...more
Gaele
Combining a romance with Romanian mythology and gypsy influences, the author has created a new form of vampire, an “energy vampire” that feeds on life force rather than blood. While they can create new members for their society, the born members are both the rulers and also the center of the management of Strigoi in the human society.

Tightly drawn characters are the center of this story, with a focus on the development and story of Selene and Lucien, her destined mate. Other characters are brie...more
Alegna
A pretty good story about a young girl learning about who she really is and what she can do. Although I must say, it was written at a very fast pace so I got confused a couple of times and had to constantly be checking fast. I would have liked more dialogue (properly written by the way in MLA style, not in a mashed up paragraph) as well as more explanation and description as to what she is, what kind of men she falls for, etc. Good story, just needs more developing in its writing in order for it...more
Heather andrews
When first reading the back of the book and I see "Will Selene come between the two brothers?" I automatically think of The Vampire Diaries (lately everything reminds me of the show), but as I got to reading the book it is nowhere near like The Vampire Diaries at all. i loved how it would go back and forth between Selene and Lucian's point of view. The was fast paced had my attention from page 1. It was however a little confusing trying to decifer who was speaking during dialogue moments as they...more
Amber
I had a hard time following the story line from the beginning.. I must have missed a book or something before this that explained alot of the terminology.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Caroline Victoria Murphy (CazzReadsYA)
I just received a free copy through the post from the author, and she signed it for me. Thank you so much Karoleen for sending it to me! I can't wait to start reading!
Sandi
Interesting story with gypsy lore. Paragraph stucture and grammar/spelling errors kept it from receiving a higher rating from me. Overall a easy quick read.
Tina
I was given a copy of this book for review. It's got beautiful twists and turns. I can't wait to read the next book she writes.
Sam Kasbrick
Unfortunately, had to put this one down. DNF explanation to come...
Jannah
To be reviewed soon...
Shali
Shali marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Ilana Amzallag
Ilana Amzallag marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
  • The Return (Witch Hunter Saga #2)
  • A Beautiful Fate
  • The Column Racer (Column Racer, #1)
  • Into the Deep (Into the Deep, #1)
  • Silence of the Wolves (Call of the Wilderness #1)
  • The Well of Tears (The Dream Stewards, #1)
  • Angelstone (Dark Angel, #2)
  • Angel Bait (Angel Assassins #0.5)
  • Verses of Athine: The Daughter of Ares Chronicles Collection
  • Seal of Destiny (Seven Seals, #1)
  • Prophecy Girl (Lacuna Valley, #1)
  • Uprising (Winged, #2)
  • Lexia (The Deadwood Hunter, #1)
  • Darkness Taunts (The Sensor, #2)
  • At First Touch
  • Ignite (Ignite, #1)
  • Wings of Tavea (Solus, #2)
  • Edge of Truth
French-American author Karoleen Vry Brucks lives with her husband and 3-year-old daughter in North Carolina. She enjoys writing, painting, cooking different cuisines and loves animals. She loves North Carolina because one can get the beach and mountains with very little distance in between the two.
More about Karoleen Vry Brucks...