Start by marking “Columbus Was Last” as Want to Read:
Columbus Was Last

Columbus Was Last

From 200,000 B.C. to 1492, a Heretical History of Who was First... "The best book so far to answer the question 'Who discovered America?'...This important, spell-binding report replaces sugar-coated myths about Columbus's invasion of America with indispensable history." --Publishers Weekly "A thoughtful and challenging consideration of the many voyagers who might have reac ...more
Published November 15th 2005 by Anomalist Books (first published October 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Columbus Was Last, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Columbus Was Last

Victoria Adams
I have a confession. I’ve never been a fan of Columbus. For some reason I could not get all excited about someone who “discovered” the American continents – when there were already a whole lot of people here. I get it. The colonists wanted some pin in history that didn’t draw a direct line to England. Some point in history that said, “This is where it all began.” Except, well, Columbus was far from first; and it was in a photo finish for last.

The story of Columbus is filled with ambiguities. We
Ashley Cunningham
I have a love for pre-Columbian American history, especially in regards to what is known as "Pre-Columbian European Contact," so this book was a logical one for me to read after reading some of Barry Fell's "America BC."

Huyghe has several chapters dedicated to evidence of people from Europe, Africa, and Asia being in America either before the supposed arrival of the Siberians during the Ice Age or before Columbus' arrival. He cites legends, physical evidence, ancient maps, and more. However, unl
Erik Graff
May 11, 2015 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: early exploration fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
Totally derivative, this is a popular science journalist's summary of various claims to pre-Columbian explorations of the Americas ranging from the undisputed--the Norsemen--to the highly problematical. While entertaining, it is not in itself very convincing, being at best a guide to some controversies worthy of further attention. While much necessary reference is made to geography and artifacts, neither photographs nor maps are provided.
Dirkfabian
May 03, 2010 Dirkfabian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my perspective on history a good bit -- the difference what humans have actually done, and what we remember and have recorded that they have done. This book is thorough on the subject of pre-historic exploration of the Americas and quite well written too.
Eric Timar
Jul 07, 2012 Eric Timar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun - this books presents lots of "evidence" that seems flimsy, but also much that seems like it could be legitimate. At the very least this book taught me to roll my eyes whenever anyone guarantees that the Vinlanders were the first Europeans in North America.
Lena Simmons
Dec 20, 2015 Lena Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meso American Civilization

The Americas experience nation states at least 2000 years before Columbus. The author presented arguments about the origins of the Native Americans.
Jun 25, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author overstates his case constantly, but still very interesting and I believe most of it. Welsh speaking Indians!
Janice
Janice rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2008
Martha added it
Sep 26, 2007
Rita
Jan 18, 2009 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
made me start a history kick of reading
Sue Solomon
Sue Solomon rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Douglas Clark
Douglas Clark rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
Raymond
Raymond rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Anita
Anita rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Pezzei
Pezzei rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Rudyard
Rudyard rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Steve Rotz
Steve Rotz rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2013
Keith Clasen
Keith Clasen rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2010
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
May 23, 2010
Elin Riley-weiss
Elin Riley-weiss rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
vincent sugimoto
vincent sugimoto rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Doug Ward
Doug Ward rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Noël F. S. Walstra
Noël F. S. Walstra rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2017
Victoria Adams
Victoria Adams rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
JSK
JSK rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Eric Tatusko
Eric Tatusko rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2017