Blank-133x176
Todas Las Cosas Brilla...

James Herriot

Todas Las Cosas Brillantes Y Hermosas/All Things Bright and Beautiful (All Creatures Great and Small #2)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  41,302 ratings  ·  468 reviews
James is now married, and he and Helen live on the top floor of Skeldale House, while his former boss, now partner, lives downstairs. James continues the rich and rewarding day-to-day life of a small-town veterinarian, with the ususal menagerie of farm animals, pets and owners demanding his constant attention, and teaching him a few lessons along the way.
Paperback
Published September 1st 1985 by Lectorum Pubns Inc (J) (first published 1973)

Jason Koivu
Dogs, cows, horses, sheep, cats and more die, while others are saved, some miraculously so in this continuation of James Herriot's series based on his experiences as a vet in the Yorkshire Dales of Northern England.

The gorgeous Yorkshire Dales...
description

The vast and windswept Yorkshire Dales...
description

This time around the country vet deals with drunk farmers, gets drunk on the job himself, has his Christmas spirit dashed and renewed all in one day, laments the disappearance of horses from farms, puts up with a...more
Melissa
In fact it set me to thinking about the big question of how girls might be expected to behave after marriage. One old farmer giving me advice about choosing a wife once said; "Have a bloody good look at the mother first, lad. " and I am sure he had a point. But if I may throw in my own little word of counsel it would be to have a passing glance at how she acts towards her father.

Watching her now as she got down and started to serve my breakfast the warm knowledge flowed through me as it did so
Nate
This series - of which I have now read the first two - is the most fun you can have reading books. They make you want to go to Scotland, hole up in a cottage, drink tea and read some more James Herriot. I don't want these books to ever end. As an aside, this isn't a novel, rather its a collection of short stories, each one just the right length for before bed.
Abigail Hartman
Just about as hilarious as "All Creatures Great and Small," although I felt a rising panic every time Granville Bennett showed up. Towards the end of the book World War II arrives and Herriot, Tristan, and Siegfried have to enlist, so there were some moving chapters when James takes leave of the Dales. As with the first book, plenty of drinking (Granville Bennett!) and swearing (Siegfried!).
Elizabeth McDonald
Dec 26, 2008 Elizabeth McDonald rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers, people wanting to feel a little better about the world
Shelves: british, biography
I always enjoy rereading James Herriot's memoirs of his experiences as a veterinarian in Yorkshire in the first half of the previous century. His tales of treating farm animals and household pets, and of the human characters he met along the way, are what I have to describe as "heart-warming". They're not saccharine, though, I promise. He's funny, too. Even though I've read his stories multiple times since middle school, I find myself laughing aloud.

This book comes second in the standard sequenc...more
Mike (the Paladin)
The James Herriot books are a bright memory from a difficult time in my life. Struggle lightened by the laughter brought through these pages. Also some painful moments because life has it's painful moments and they can't be avoided. He told them just as he told the others. While I have read that the stories related here were not necessarily told in order or as they happened exactly, this is a wonderful book (these are wonderful books) not to be missed.

I can't recommend these highly enough.
Valerie
The titles of these books were different in Britain, and so the books are somewhat out of order for Americans. The American editions have the text of the hymn in the front. It's such a beautiful poem that I wondered why I hadn't ever heard the hymn before. Then I heard it...and it's AWFUL. Somebody would be doing the lyrics a significant favor to reset them to different music. If even my cousin, who consistently won audiences with his dynamite Al Jolson impression couldn't make it sound good...

H...more
Brittany
All Things Bright and Beautiful picks up where All Creatures Great and Small leaves off: with Jim's wedding to Helen. (I remember as a kid it confused the heck out of me that the books didn't go in the same order as the lines in the hymn did.) However, the book is not strictly chronological. One of the things that makes it such a leisurely, wonderful read is that the chapters are mostly self-contained.

This is a wonderful book to listen to on a road trip because the chapters read a bit like shor...more
Eligah Boykin jr.

I enjoyed this book because it is essentially about work and how to make your work a career you can be proud to remember in your retirement. Newly married and yet still subject to calls at all hours of the day and night, Herriot has the slightly world weary amusement of a country veterinarian. This book is great because you get to meet animals with personalities as eccentric as their owners and appreciate what it is like to deal with pregnant horses, cows, pigs and goats. The author also has a g...more
Dale
Michael
There are some books you read where you just wish you could live in the world the writer portrays. James Herriot is like that for me. His stories of 30s rural Yorkshire life as a vet are warm and engaging, funny and lively. He has the ability to stir the soul, as when he writes about treating the last plow horse before tractors take over farmwork, and the funnybone, as when he describes his dealing with his crazy boss, Sigfreid.

This is another book of short stories, loosely held together as one...more
Barb
I read this delightful series of books back in the 1970s when they were first released. I was a teenager then, and I find that a lot of the books I loved as a teenager are not as enjoyable to me when I reread them as an adult. Not the case here. Although I did listen to the audio version this time instead of actually reading the book, I found it just as delightful and pleasant as I did when reading it all those years ago. The reader on the audio version's voice complemented the written word, and...more
Emily Collins
Another Herriot book, they're just so.. soothing to read. I mean, nothing much really seems to happen. You don't ever hang on the edge of your seat because of the suspense, it's just... pleasant. Here, let me tell you about these wonderful animals I once treated in a nice farm out in Yorkshire. That's all this book is somehow, and yet I love it! It's wonderful!
Of course, it helped that I was reading this while on holiday in Britain, so I was going to all these places mentioned in the book, which...more
Melissa
Sometimes it became difficult to continue reading story after story of farm after farm visit by Mr. James Alfred "Alf" Wight. But just as it felt the same, suddenly the mood shifted and my hope would soar again. For "Jim" would pen a delightful triumph, of a surgery or delivery which righted all in the world. I think my favorite was the easy, yet unlikely pairing of Mrs. Donovan with Roy, after the death of her beloved, Rex. What a wonder, the faithful love of that needy dog with the lonely &...more
Abby
A charming collection of anecdotes about James Herriot's life as a country vet in Scotland in the early 1900s. I have a very special place in my heart for Mr. Herriot, and I love veterinary stories, so of course I love this book. Herriot's writing style is so disarming and accessible that everyone is sure to relate to him and grow fond of him.
Primadonna
I LOVE THIS BOOK. I chuckle a lot when it comes to larger-than-life Granville. I don't care much about cricket thingie but other chapters are fun. Sometimes they bring me tears as well. Bless you, for writing this wonderful book, James Alfred Wight!
Lynne Stringer
I enjoyed the continuing story of James Herriot's Yorkshire. While there's no doubt there would be many colourful characters in that part of the world, it takes a good writer to bring them to life in this way.
Very enjoyable.
Emily
The man can tell a story! This one was as good as his first one, All Creatures Great and Small. I love each little anecdote about his veterinary practice. A light read and very entertaining.
Rebecca
So sweet and fun. Great charming characters, intriguing veterinary problems, and a cool endearing narrator witnessing history from the Yorkshire Dales. I can't wait to read the rest.
Samantha
I'm currently reading this one aloud to my husband. We finished "All Creatures Great and Small," and he loved it!
J
Really, James herriot is just a genius. There are not two ways about it.
Ann
Oh how many times have I read these four books? Here, the Scottish vet has just been married and still works alongside the remarkable brothers Tristan and Siegfried. More funny animal adventures, the tragic losses, the silly arguments, the capturing of the local flora and fauna, the farmers and other assorted clients...Herriot's own shortcomings and failings which he chronicled-- being a hapless foil to his boss, being the brunt of Tristan's jokes, for instance. And of course, the advent not onl...more
Dan
I continue to be impressed by the books in this series. They are very well written. The stories are a perfect length for a bit of casual reading before bed. One of the things that I really enjoy about them is that although there is a wonderful amount of humor in them, there are also a lot of entries that are more serious as well. Mr. Wight (James Herriot) is an impressively humble man. It's nice to read about his frustrations, as well as his successes. It's also nice to see little bits of humani...more
Gene
This book that I have is a strange Taiwan pirated edition that says it is Bantam Books, but the number of pages fits a different publisher. Regardless of that, I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the book. At first I thought it was fiction, and after a bit I noticed it was biographical. Some of Herriot's stories are just too good, and I wonder if a little embellishment wasn't employed. Nevertheless, each chapter makes for one good quick story, though a few chapters link together into mult-e...more
Tiffeny
My good neighbor got me into these books and I love them. This is the 2nd in his series. At the end of the last, he and Helen had just gotten married, and this one continues with their life. But it's still mostly his life as a veterinary surgeon in a small town in England. The stories are funny, heart-felt, sometimes sad, mostly heart-warming. I love these books and can't recommend them enough.

There isn't as much in this book about Herriot's eccentric, sometimes crazy partner Sigfried, his caref...more
Missy
Reading this book makes me want to do two things. First, I want to immediately run out and buy the other books that James Herriot wrote. This book brought the perfect ratio of plenty of laughs and a few tears. 2)Then, although I don't want any more pets and didn't want the one I have, I nevertheless have a huge urge to go buy not one, but two dogs.
One particularly entertaining scene in the book came about on page 241. After having spent some uncomfortable time w/ a overly dressed, snooty, and e...more
Helynne
Our book club assignment one month was to choose "anything by James Herriot." I checked out this volume, one in his four-part series--each book with one of the four lines of the little song, "All Things Bright and Beautiful, All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Wise and Wonderful, The Lord God Made Them All." (The first book is called All Creatures Great and Small and the second is this one All Things Brighan and Beautiful . Herriot chronologically mixed up the first two lines of the song)...more
Jelinas
All Things Bright and Beautiful is James Herriot's follow-up to All Creatures Great and Small and, much like his debut effort, this volume is filled with touching stories, rip-roaring humor, and, saturating everything else, a strong taste of the Yorkshire Dales. Herriot regales us with more tales from his experiences as a vet in rural Northern England.

He also arevisits his courtship of his wife and some of his misadventures along the way to marriage. And, of course, his good friends and colleagu...more
Hava
I cannot more highly recommend this series - I really can't. I know that when I'm listening to them, that he most likely stretched the facts somewhat to fit into his books a little better, but I can't help but excuse him for it. This isn't a textbook, teaching me important facts that I have to know to a T, but instead more of his memoirs, and isn't that almost the definition of a memoir - the broad story is true, but the occasional fact gets forgotten and/or rewritten? You just can't hold it aga...more
Damion Mounts
~Characters[5/5]: The book has many characters that are unique to themselves as a whole. They all are very believable give that they contain regualr traits that would be found in people of common day, the fact that they do resemble a few people I have met before. Also the obvious fact that the book is a non-fiction first person of James so the people actually are real and do exist in this life. The main character does usually stay true to himself by being a deticated vetrinarian and being kind t...more
i can't get thru it. 33 170 May 07, 2013 01:43PM
Yorkshire 3 23 Dec 06, 2012 01:28PM
  • Born Free: A Lioness of Two Worlds (Story of Elsa, #1)
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • Never Cry Wolf
  • The Man Who Listens to Horses
  • Gorillas in the Mist
  • The Bafut Beagles
  • Lad: A Dog
  • The Incredible Journey
  • The Hidden Life Of Dogs
  • The Cat Who Came for Christmas (Compleat Cat #1)
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Big Red
  • Brighty of the Grand Canyon
  • The Cat Who Went to Paris
  • The Egg and I
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • The Miracle Worker
  • Rascal
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow...more
More about James Herriot...
All Creatures Great and Small All Things Wise and Wonderful The Lord God Made Them All All Creatures Great and Small/All Things Bright and Beautiful James Herriot's Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small