The War for Banks Island (Zombicorns, #2)

The War for Banks Island (Zombicorns #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  967 ratings  ·  90 reviews
A sequel to John's 2010 p4a story "Zombicorns," "The War for Banks Island" takes place thirty years after the zombie apocalypse and is set primarily on a remote Canadian island where Mia has escaped and lives in a large city of surviving humans. But after years of stability, the Zs encroach.
Published August 20th 2012

To ask other readers questions about The War for Banks Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War for Banks Island

sj
I am not a John Green fan. I have so many friends that are (15 that have given TFioS at least 4 stars), but...I don't like sappy sentimental crap, and I don't want to read books by someone who's constantly making girls cry. Blech.

So, anyway, last night I got this email from goodreads that said "Since you LOVED The Fault in our Stars, why not try..."

1. I have the pimpage emails turned off, so this was enough to send me into a frothy rage.

2. I have not READ that book, nor have I put it on my To Re...more
Mohammed Al-Garawi
This is the second part of Green's novella Zombicorns. The story takes place years after the events of the first part. It's impressive how Green manages to create and develop quirky characters in a couple of pages. The book is short and the story is nice and the small plot twists are enjoyable. However, the ending was abrupt and weird.

Not as awesome as part one, but definitely worth giving a shot.
Romane Dela Gracia
Sequel of Zombicorns! The story is inside another generation, whereas it is based on Mia's daughter's point if view, who is Caroline Featherstone. Like the first book, it is also perfect and please please please write and publish part 3 already!
Jxshua
I love when traditional writers visit the literary slums of bizarro and alt-lit even for just a couple of books.
Carina
Rating:★★★★★

My Opinion Of This:I LOVED it!

Full Review Can Be Found:

Favorite Quotes:

"Suit yourself,” he said. “But before you go, quick question: Have you always wanted to marry a hero of the zombie wars?”
I rolled my eyes. “Abe, you’re like my brother.”
“Secondary question: Are you into incest?”
“Abe!”
He smirked. I hugged him and walked to class.

“That’s a nonrhetorical question, by the way. So many of those in the study of Z anatomy. Abraham, are you textin...more
Razniya
3.25/50 maybe I'm not very sure.

I think this one was slightly better than the first one.

One thing that I couldn't quite understand was Caroline's outburst of anger when her mum told the truth about the political propaganda. I mean her character is someone who is not so patriotic. She is pretty contended with the way her life is, moreover she loves and understands her Mother. So when she got mad and went ahead to join the army, it seemed a little out of character, at least to me. In the beginnin...more
Brandy
John Green is right: this is not a good book. It's a fun book, an entertaining book, and a good follow-up to Zombicorns, but it's not really high quality.

Still better than a lot of other zombie books out there, though.
Corey
John Green continually amazes me. In a mere 26 pages he manages to introduce a fantastic heroine, create an epic problem, and reveal an unexpected twist. Loved this one even more than the first. More Zombicorns!!!
Amira
It definitely wasn't good. But it wasn't supposed to be. Getting anything in response to donating for the P4A is worth it.
It wasn't a good story, but it had a pretty solid ending.
Kara
Loved it. Ready for the next one. Such a good read as an editor I was barely bothered by a few typos.
Julia
This one isn't as much a survival story as the first, it focuses more on family and romance. I really loved getting to see what happened after Zombicorns and meeting Caroline, she was an interesting character but no where near Mia. Abe reminded me of Hassan from An abundance of Katherines, they have the same self-deprecating humor.
I enjoyed the ethic issues that where involved, it really left you thinking.
All in all was really good, but not as great as Zombicorns. The first story appealed to me...more
Natasha Primaditta
Um, well. I definitely wanted to see a different side of John Green, only to be surprised by its huge differences.
For once, the main character, Caroline, is still your typical John Green heroine. Strong willed, a bit aloof, and smart. But the rest of the story? Well, it is for sure needs more length and explanations. The story is like an attempt to be nerdy with a zombified world as it's setting, sadly it remains as a setting only without much venture on the theme. Nonetheless, good short storie...more
Amee Violette
Well, it took me a while to figure out the narrator was actually Mia's daughter, who is obviously named AFTER Caroline. No, I legitimately thought that the narrator was the actual (reincarnated?) Caroline and that this was some kind of fudged up alternate universe.

It, thankfully, wasn't.

The (novel??? story???) novella (and I despise this word, 'novella' sounds so cheesy) was okay, I guess. Mia's daughter was at least a bit different from Mia, I kind of liked Abe, even though he was annoying, and...more
Elizabeth Phillips
Ehhhhhh.

This was better than Zombicorns. The thrown-together format was surprisingly refreshing, and I feel like he thought about it more on a deeper level. I just couldn't quite bring myself to give it four stars, and I refuse to say "three and a half."

Obviously I wasn't expecting it to be much. I read it quickly, so it was entertaining. It was for charity. It was surely worth the money. I just love John Green too much to say that this is anywhere close to his other novels. He knows it isn't, a...more
Jessica
Ehh. I liked this one less than the first. For one thing, it took quite awhile for it to finally be explained that Caroline was Mia's daughter, named after her friend from Chicago. Secondly, once they went into the woods, I would have liked to know for sure they got back okay! They had hiked for DAYS and I'm supposed to assume they returned safely even with no compass, no radio, and wounds?
Tiffany
From the POV of Mia’s daughter, so Mia obviously survived and made it to Banks Island in Canada where there is now an isolated but thriving colony. This was an interesting follow up, but I didn’t find it quite as engaging as the first one.

You can get this for free just like the first novella.
Elad Shiloni
I just hate feeling this way, this deep, unworthiness, like I was given this great opportunity, but at the end of the day I'm just as good/bad as a zombie, or these zombies anyways, like I would do mostly anything to just keep being able to do stuff, and I'm not sure it's worth it :.

my point of discussion, is so: how do i rebel against this feeling?! do I start doing things aimlessly so that there is no building towards going on, or do I find "my corn" something that while not distinguishing me,...more
Virginia
That's how it ends ????? Well, he left the door WIDE open for a third installment, I'd say. Not nearly as suspenseful as the first but I did enjoy Abe's character, especially his humor. Hope I don't have to wait long for the next chapter !!
Karly *The Vampire Ninja*
I won't get overly wordy with this one - I did that last time - it was an interesting little tale. The "Z" lore is symbolically intriguing to me. The corn obsession is not so prevalent in this one which I am thankful for. Unlike Zombicorns this novella is more about human reaction to the existence of "z"s rather than the zombies themselves.

As always, John Green's characters are enjoyable and his style is easily digestible whilst being thought provoking. Okay, okay so I have an asexual novel-c...more
Meghen
I love me a good short story. My favorite genre - but the characters are just repeat shells of every John Green character. Strong female. Quirky, nerdy jokester, and the other, in this case a Lesbian Indian girl.
Amanda
While I think this novella was maybe a bit more hastily written than the first Zombicorns novella, I still really enjoyed it. I loved the connection to the first novella. I also enjoyed the roles women played in military strategy- something you don't often see mentioned without drawing attention to the fact that OMG it's a woman! And she's making decisions! Decisions about the government and military! I also enjoyed that there was an LGBT character, but that wasn't what her character was about-...more
Alaina
An thought provoking, quick read. While it isn't as polished or full of a read as Zombicorns Number 1, it is an intriguing follow up. Generally, there isn't much action or much Zombie confrontation, if that's what you're hoping for. Instead, it's a look into how people and the government will react to and change with the Zombie Outbreak.

It follows Mia's daughter, Caroline, as she realizes that Banks Island isn't exactly the utopia it seems, and volunteers to venture to the mainland, where the Z...more
Katie King
I really liked this book too, it was super good. The only complaint I have is that it was never explained that it was set 30 years after the first book, so I was quite confused for a good portion of the book.
Felipe Saavedra
No esperaba mucho. Era muy corto, pero la historia es muy buena :D (pd: Mia se vendió al sistema 77)
Kate May
It's not as well written as like EVERYTHING ELSE by John, including Zombicorns (which was very vivid), but it's still a good read. I will never stop admiring all the little ideas about anything under the sun John manages to weave into a story without it sticking out like a sore thumb.

I really like how he has built this whole new world around the zombie incident, how new hierarchies have evolved as corruption remains the impetus of basically any major event. Kinda very dystopian. Wish it was lon...more
Lali
one thing only: that was a fuck up plain. fuck y'all
Kind of want another one... soon
Crystal
I am a fan of both John Green and zombie short stories. I tried to base my review of this in light of the countless zombie short stories I've read instead of trying to compare it to John Green's books.

I'm finding this impossible to review without comparing it to Zombicorns. This short story takes place 20 years after Zombicorns. I like the characters better, maybe because it's easier to relate to them. They have a back story (as told in Zombicorns), and the story is more focused. If you read Zom...more
Rachel
It was a very short novel that took no time at all the read. This was the sequel to the zombie novella Zombicorns, which I also loved. I know these book weren't to be bad, but I was still sucked into these short stories. John Green didn't mean for these to be serious, but I still got something out of this book. The story is interesting and it kept a fast pace. The characters were overall likeable and the ending was interesting. If you have an hour to spare, I recommend this short story. Especial...more
Jemima
miles better than the first
Where can I get this book? 2 15 Feb 25, 2014 12:46PM
  • What You Wish For: A Book for Darfur
  • Twice Told: Original Stories Inspired by Original Artwork
  • 1776: A Story in Tweets
  • 21 Proms
  • Who Done It?
  • Natural Selection (Adaptation, #1.5)
  • Losers in Space
  • Divergent Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd
  • Hemlock Grove: Reflections On The Motive Power Of Fire
  • The Blood of the Lamb
  • Unfed (Undead, #2)
  • Boarded Window (Warm Bodies, #1.6)
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • The Eyes Have It
  • Titanic with ZOMBIES (The Zombie Apocalypse at Sea)
  • These Days
  • Once Upon a Darkness (Company, #1)

John Green's first novel, Looking for Alaska, won the 2006 Michael L. Printz Award presented by the American Library Association. His second novel, An Abundance of Katherines, was a 2007 Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book and a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize. His next novel, Paper Towns, is a New...more
More about John Green...
The Fault in Our Stars Looking for Alaska An Abundance of Katherines Paper Towns Will Grayson, Will Grayson

“You're just not a soldier. You're a...you're a nerd. I mean, even the way you work out is nerdy. You don't have like a killer—"
"What do you mean the way I work out is nerdy?"
"How many calories have you burnt in the last five minutes?"
"Um, I dunno. 17 or 18 probably."
"Abe, that's not something normal people know.”
4 likes