Start by marking “Rebetiko” as Want to Read:

Athens, 1936. General Metaxas is cracking down on rebetis and their way of life. A small group of friends - Rebetiko musicians - wind their way through the Athenian backstreets, ouzeris and market squares dodging the police while settling disputes over hashish and women. With music at its heart, the narrative builds to a joyous party at its climax in this multi-award-winni ...more
Published September 24th 2013 by SelfMadeHero (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rebetiko, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebetiko

Sonia M
Apr 18, 2016 Sonia M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Ένα graphic novel για το αγαπημένο μου είδος μουσικής!
Ο δημιουργός φαίνεται καταρτισμένος πάνω στο θέμα, μέσα από προσεγμένα εικαστικά, μεταφέρει όλη την ατμόσφαιρα που τυλίγει το ρεμπέτικο. Η μεταξική δικτατορία, η περιφρόνηση προς τα ανατολίτικα στοιχεία, η φτώχεια, η παρανομία και τα αλάνια. Ένα αρνητικό βρήκα και αυτό ήταν η έλλειψη πλοκής. Βλέπουμε απλά μια νύχτα από τη ζωή των ρεμπετών κι αυτή χωρίς συνοχή, απλά περιφέρονται εδώ κι εκεί. Επειδή προτιμώ την κλασσική αφήγηση από τη σκόρπια,
David Schaafsma
Rebetiko is "outsider" Greek music, Turkish influenced, maybe started, in some ways, in the early twentieth century, very popular now in Greece and in that region, and I so wanted to like this lovely book, showing how cool, funky musicians were being put down in 1936 by rising Greek fascism as in other countries at that time, decrying "decadence" by the state… but this was annoyingly confusing to me, the story especially. The main thing in addition to the music that happens here is these folks a ...more
Emre Yavuz
Çizimler çok güzel, anlatmaya çalıştığı hikaye çok güzel ama metinler ve diyaloglar mı baştansavma, yoksa çevirisi mi vasatın altında çözemedim. Her şey çok kopuk kopuk, takip etmesi çok zor.
Soobie's heartbroken
Preso per curiosità in biblio.

Non sapevo cosa fosse il rebetiko, ho vaghe conoscenze di storia greca e ancora meno di lingua greca. E non mi piacciono quei libri in cui l'abuso di sostanze stupefacenti viene reso epico.

Ci sono un sacco di termini greci nel testo, che l'autore non si preoccupa di spiegare e non sempre sono chiari dal testo. Inoltre la storia non è granché lineare e si fa molta fatica a seguire. Se poi mettiamo in conto la mia cronica inabilità a distinguere i vari personaggi, sia
Sep 30, 2014 Olethros rated it really liked it
The artwork in this book is great - most of the rebetes are actually recognisable, their gazes and expression quite convincing and the contrast between the sunny streets of athens and the dark hashish dens is excellent. The storyline is also interesting, with a couple of tangential subplots (which serve more as character background) referenced from time to time. Nevertheless, the characters are not explored in so much depth as to deprive them of mystique. The book also includes lyrics from a num ...more
Mar 22, 2016 Asterios rated it it was amazing
The artwork is beautiful. The rays of the Greek sun through vine canopies, the murk of hashish dens, the stark shades of life of the outsiders - it all really comes alive in this bande dessinée.

The somewhat weak storytelling is an advantage here, as this is not one of those books that tell the story, but rather communicate the vibes, the mystiques, the feelings and the images of a long-lost world.

All in all, "Rebetiko" is a very successful BD take on a very specific and very rich aspect of the
Eliza A.
Jun 03, 2013 Eliza A. rated it liked it
Great artwork, mediocre book
Merritt K
Jun 26, 2016 Merritt K rated it it was ok
A very confusingly-told story about a fascinating topic. The visual style is pretty muddy and kind of blurs everything together, which is thematically appropriate but makes it difficult to tell what's actually going on and who's who. The compression is also all over the place, and on top of this, I think the narrative suffers in the translation. A unique subject and some beautiful visual work in places but there's not much narrative payoff until the very end and, counter to the spirit of the sto ...more
Nov 30, 2015 Silvia rated it really liked it
Leggermente difficile da seguire la storia, sono comunque rimasta affascinata dalla bellezza dei disegni e di alcune scene in generale. Complessivamente mi è piaciuto molto!
Dina Rahajaharison
"Ils nous ont adoptés. Maintenant, chaque nuit, je remâche nos mots à ces âmes bien nées qui aiment sentir par procuration le piment que nous, les Rébètes, on avalait par poignées. Nos brûlures étaient bien réelles. Il n'en reste qu'une écume, une mélancolie, des assiettes cassées... Nous étions des petits poulpes des bas-fonds. A la bile bien noire. Ils ne pouvaient pas nous aimer quand nous étions vivants, dans nos eaux sombres. Une fois sortis de notre jus, nous sommes devenus comestibles."
Jason Bootle
Apr 20, 2013 Jason Bootle rated it liked it
I'd probably give this a 3.5 as it was an enjoyable read but I found it very difficult throughout the book working out who was who and what exactly was going on. I first came across rebetiko music when my housemate and friend Richard was playing it with a Greek mate of his Demetre. I was sold on it but never heard it again after that. This book gave me a bit more insight into Rebetiko, the people who created it and it's history.
Feb 02, 2014 Simon rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great artwork, which makes me want to explore this music. However it's a disjointed and difficult to follow storyline.
Jul 26, 2013 Hniu added it
Hugely fascinating subject and great artwork, but somehow the book doesn't hold together. Feels more like a series of disjointed conversations without much depth and not nearly as good as Joann Sfar's Klezmer. Nevertheless I'm thankful to this book for helping me to discover Rebetiko music.
Govoriti o duhu muzike je vrlo teško, a ovaj strip ima baš tu namjeru. Do mene nije dopro.
Derek Parker
Oct 16, 2013 Derek Parker rated it really liked it
A wonderful story about a group of rebete in the 1920s. The story only covers a small narrative time, about a day, but it's packed with drama and personalities. It was also a way to introduce me to this style of music and the fascinating history surrounding it.
Joe Decie
Oct 07, 2012 Joe Decie rated it really liked it
I loved the artwork in this book, mostly. The story was intriguing, but at points the conversations seemed odd, maybe something was lost in translation? well worth taking a look at.
Spiros Denaxas
Jul 28, 2013 Spiros Denaxas rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the artwork, its excellent. The story on the other is much harder to follow with inconsistent language being used (possibly a by product from its translation).
Mar 05, 2013 Athena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent artwork!
Cinzia is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2016
Sasa Andric
Sasa Andric rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Kathleen Korynkiewicz
Kathleen Korynkiewicz rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2016
Eddie rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2016
Bluecatblues rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Isaiah marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Laura rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2016
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Eleni marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
S. marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Jonah added it
Aug 24, 2016
Andres added it
Oct 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Grandville Mon Amour (Grandville #2)
  • Evolution: The Story of Life on Earth
  • L'attentat
  • Mort Cinder
  • Macedonia
  • L'étranger
  • El Iluminado: A Graphic Novel
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Omnibus 1
  • Johnny Cash: I See a Darkness
  • La Tour (Les Cités obscures, #4)
  • Invisible Ink: My Mother's Love Affair With A Famous Cartoonist
  • Above the Dreamless Dead: World War I in Poetry and Comics
  • Economics
  • Pachyderme
  • Combray (Remembrance of Things Past, #1)
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3A: Betrayal (Part One)
  • The Wrong Place