Start by marking “Rebetiko” as Want to Read:
Rebetiko

Rebetiko

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Athens, 1936. General Metaxas is cracking down on rebetis and their way of life. A small group of friends - Rebetiko musicians - wind their way through the Athenian backstreets, ouzeris and market squares dodging the police while settling disputes over hashish and women. With music at its heart, the narrative builds to a joyous party at its climax in this multi-award-winni ...more
Published September 24th 2013 by SelfMadeHero (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rebetiko, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebetiko

David Schaafsma
Rebetiko is "outsider" Greek music, Turkish influenced, maybe started, in some ways, in the early twentieth century, very popular now in Greece and in that region, and I so wanted to like this lovely book, showing how cool, funky musicians were being put down in 1936 by rising Greek fascism as in other countries at that time, decrying "decadence" by the state… but this was annoyingly confusing to me, the story especially. The main thing in addition to the music that happens here is these folks a ...more
Soobie's confused
Preso per curiosità in biblio.

Non sapevo cosa fosse il rebetiko, ho vaghe conoscenze di storia greca e ancora meno di lingua greca. E non mi piacciono quei libri in cui l'abuso di sostanze stupefacenti viene reso epico.

Ci sono un sacco di termini greci nel testo, che l'autore non si preoccupa di spiegare e non sempre sono chiari dal testo. Inoltre la storia non è granché lineare e si fa molta fatica a seguire. Se poi mettiamo in conto la mia cronica inabilità a distinguere i vari personaggi, sia
Olethros
The artwork in this book is great - most of the rebetes are actually recognisable, their gazes and expression quite convincing and the contrast between the sunny streets of athens and the dark hashish dens is excellent. The storyline is also interesting, with a couple of tangential subplots (which serve more as character background) referenced from time to time. Nevertheless, the characters are not explored in so much depth as to deprive them of mystique. The book also includes lyrics from a num ...more
Eliza A.
Great artwork, mediocre book
Dina Rahajaharison
"Ils nous ont adoptés. Maintenant, chaque nuit, je remâche nos mots à ces âmes bien nées qui aiment sentir par procuration le piment que nous, les Rébètes, on avalait par poignées. Nos brûlures étaient bien réelles. Il n'en reste qu'une écume, une mélancolie, des assiettes cassées... Nous étions des petits poulpes des bas-fonds. A la bile bien noire. Ils ne pouvaient pas nous aimer quand nous étions vivants, dans nos eaux sombres. Une fois sortis de notre jus, nous sommes devenus comestibles."
Jason Bootle
I'd probably give this a 3.5 as it was an enjoyable read but I found it very difficult throughout the book working out who was who and what exactly was going on. I first came across rebetiko music when my housemate and friend Richard was playing it with a Greek mate of his Demetre. I was sold on it but never heard it again after that. This book gave me a bit more insight into Rebetiko, the people who created it and it's history.
Simon
Great artwork, which makes me want to explore this music. However it's a disjointed and difficult to follow storyline.
Hniu
Jul 26, 2013 Hniu added it
Hugely fascinating subject and great artwork, but somehow the book doesn't hold together. Feels more like a series of disjointed conversations without much depth and not nearly as good as Joann Sfar's Klezmer. Nevertheless I'm thankful to this book for helping me to discover Rebetiko music.

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=...
Komuniststar
Govoriti o duhu muzike je vrlo teško, a ovaj strip ima baš tu namjeru. Do mene nije dopro.
Derek Royal
A wonderful story about a group of rebete in the 1920s. The story only covers a small narrative time, about a day, but it's packed with drama and personalities. It was also a way to introduce me to this style of music and the fascinating history surrounding it.
Joe Decie
I loved the artwork in this book, mostly. The story was intriguing, but at points the conversations seemed odd, maybe something was lost in translation? well worth taking a look at.
Spiros Denaxas
I really enjoyed the artwork, its excellent. The story on the other is much harder to follow with inconsistent language being used (possibly a by product from its translation).
Hein
Hein marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
George
George marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
İrmik
İrmik added it
Jul 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
la traversée du louvre Port Nawak Japon. Le Japon vu par 17 auteurs La Virgen De Plastico/ The Plastic Virgin The Uncommercial Traveller