Start by marking “Four Children and It” as Want to Read:
Four Children and It

Four Children and It

The new bestseller from Jacqueline Wilson, creator of Tracy Beaker, Hetty Feather and The Illustrated Mum, is a funny, moving and heartwarming story of four children who discover a way to make wishes come true. Echoing the classic E Nesbit novel, Five Children and It, this new story from this mega-selling author, winner of the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize, is a ...more
Published August 16th 2012 by Puffin (first published August 1st 2012)

Lola Rose by Jacqueline WilsonThe Illustrated Mum by Jacqueline WilsonMy Sister Jodie by Jacqueline WilsonVicky Angel by Jacqueline WilsonCandyfloss by Jacqueline Wilson
Best Jacqueline Wilson books
31st out of 95 books — 236 voters
Five Children on the Western Front by Kate SaundersFour Children and It by Jacqueline WilsonThe Return of the Psammead by Helen CresswellThe Magical Book by Lesley SimsThe Land Leviathan by Michael Moorcock
E. Nesbit Adaptations
2nd out of 8 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Jo Bennie
Dec 01, 2014 Jo Bennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: w
Rosalind has been sent to live with her dad and stepmother for the summer while her mother goes to sumer school and is not best pleased. Rosalind is a bookish girl, her brother Robbie is similar, lost in a world of playing with his toy animals. But at their dad's house they have to cope with their new stepsister Samantha, always appropriately known as Smash, and life with a dad who always seems to be disappointed in them. However, there is compensation in the form of Maudy, their new half ...more
Monica Edinger
Aug 27, 2012 Monica Edinger rated it liked it
This just came out in the UK, but I couldn't find any indication if it is to be published in the US so I picked it up while in London and quickly read it while there figuring I'd leave it behind with someone if it wasn't that great. And I admit I was skeptical because Wilson isn't a fantasy writer plus in a recent interview she said she liked the Bastable stories. Now I think there are two kinds of Nesbit fans --- those who love the realistic Bastable tales and those who love the fantasy ones ...more
Hannah Wright
Oct 20, 2012 Hannah Wright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Four Children and It is about four children who go on a trip to the woods where they find a psammead (like a magic alien!) who gives them wishes of whatever they want, but they soon find that you don’t need everything all you need is your family.

Jacqueline Wilson’s inspiration is E.Nesbit’s Five Children and It. I tried to read this book as well, but the words were quite hard and I’m going to wait until I’m 8 to read it.

The main characters are Rosalind, Robbie, Smash and Maudie and they are the
Fatima
Jun 17, 2014 Fatima rated it it was amazing
It is a really good book. Makes your wishes come true!
Indah Threez Lestari
797 - 2016
LH Johnson
Apr 22, 2013 LH Johnson rated it really liked it
E Nesbit was one of those authors who wrote big, thrilling, seditious, moving books that pushed at the boundaries of what defined the genre of children's literature of her day. And I'd argue, quite happily, that that's pretty much what Jacqueline Wilson does today. The stylistic parallels of both authors are inescapable.

But for Wilson to write a contemporary spin on Five Children and It? That was a lot for me to think about. I love Five Children and It; I love the darkness, and the family dynam
Jade
Oct 29, 2013 Jade rated it it was amazing
When I began reading this book I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. I have always loved Jacqueline Wilson's books and still haven't stopped reading them although I'm an adult. This one I thought looked a little too childish and very unlike her other books but I'm glad I gave it a chance as I really enjoyed the book.

Four Children and It is based on the classic book Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit. I have never read that book so I had no idea what to expect.

The story begins with
Bianca Wilkinson
Sep 06, 2013 Bianca Wilkinson rated it really liked it
The basic plot of the story is about four children who were brought together due to the Dad re-marrying. The characters are Rosalind and Robbie who are brother an sister, Smash- who is there step sister and Maudie- who is their half sister.

Normally they dislike spending time together as they do not get along, so Rosalind and Robbie's Dad organised a picnic in the wood in the hope that maybe this would help. Whilst in the woods the children discovered a sand pit and by digging into it managed to
Natalie Ahern
Mar 30, 2014 Natalie Ahern rated it really liked it
As the title suggests the book is about four children plus an atypical fairy called a Psammead, or 'It'. I like the way that Wilson builds the relationships between the characters as the book progresses. Based around the lives of an extended family Wilson explores the relationships between step parents and siblings. The inspiration for the story of the book comes from Nesbit's 'Five Children and It'(which I haven't read incidentally).
This book was written in a way that reminded me of some of th
Teresa
Aug 20, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing
My daughter is an avid fan of Jacqueline Wilson and one of my favourite childhood reads was Five Children and It by E Nesbit so we were both keen to dive into the modern version, Four Children and It.

Firstly, my 8 year old daughter's verdict - "My favourite Jacqueline Wilson book! I love the magic and fantasy. Rosalind is into books just like me and I want to read the E Nesbit books now".

Now for my opinion...I have reservations about modern authors revisiting and rejigging classics but Jacquelin
Gabrielle
Dec 27, 2013 Gabrielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
I was a little unsure about this at first because I am very fond of "Five Children and It" and much less fond of Jacqueline Wilson. That sounded wrong. I am not unfond of Jacqueline Wilson but "Five Children and It" is a favorite book of mine. The premise of a wish-granting sand fairy is something that can be adapted to modern children and it was interesting to see how that was done. Modern children would wish for things like being famous.

The actual children themselves well this is something th
Eunag
May 20, 2015 Eunag added it
I really like this book and think it is very interesting. It is about a Girl (Rosaline) and her brother (Robbie) who's parents are divorced, and she is visiting her dad for the holidays. Her dad has a wife and a toddler named Maudie, her half sister. Her step sister, Smash, is also visiting from her dad's house. The four of them, Rosaline, Robbie, Maudie and Smash and their parents all go to the woods for a picnic, when they find a creature (the Psammead aka a sand fairy) that is in the book ...more
Tina Rath
Sep 04, 2012 Tina Rath rated it it was amazing
This is the first and only Jacqueline Wilson I have read, and I was drawn to it by hearing an extract read on Woman's Hour (the description of the children unburying the Psammead - "It's got a very big bottom!"). It is a very lovely book, from the gold and red cover to the modernisation of E Nesbit's even lovelier "FIVE Children and It" (read that, if you haven't and especially if you are a child, you will LOVE it). Wilson captures the delicate magic of Nesbit very nicely, and puts in a good ...more
Rebecca
Sep 09, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I didn't read "Five Children and It", so I don't know what inspired the author.

It's about four children - bookworm Rosalind, her Robert, handful "Smash", and adorable little Maudie - who find a Psammead in the park.

Most wishes don't go as expected, which is good. After all you need to "be careful what you wish for".

The characters are rather cool...

Rosalind, the main character is your typical bookworm. She plans on getting a writer someday. She spends her holidays with her dad and step-mum.

Robbie
Adele Broadbent
Jun 10, 2015 Adele Broadbent rated it it was ok
Rosalind and her brother Robbie are staying with their dad while their mum is on a holiday course. The problem is their stepsister Smash (Samantha), who is younger than Ros but rougher, louder, ruder and stronger. She is constantly nasty and doesn’t change that much through the story. There is also Maudie – their little half-sister who is just a toddler.

Dad wants them to get along and so he and Smash’s Mum take them for a picnic in nearby woods to a sandpit he used to play in. The children find
Books4life
Jun 06, 2015 Books4life rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This book is good, not the best of Jacqueline's books, but still very good.
I think the reason why I was not enjoy this book as much as I expected because it was based on a story I've never read before.(although this book still made sense without the original one.)
I'm not a big fan of classic, but 'five children and it' sounds like fun, maybe if I finished that book this one will be much more fun to me, this book, as same as any other Jacqueline's books, shows the great power of magic and the bea
Shivers
Four Children and It was one of the best books I ever read.My favourite bits were when the children found the passamead, who sounded really cute, and when they had their good wishes granted. One of the worst bits was when one of the children wished their stepmother had never met their father. I won't tell you what happened but thank goodness the wishes only lasted a while! This book was very happy and magical.
Rebecca
Jul 14, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I thought this was okay but I think it would have been better if I had read the book it was based on before as I didn't really get the premise, and as an avid Enid Blyton reader, trying to translate the fairytale whimsy into a modern setting didn't really work for me. However for younger children (which the book is obviously aimed at) I think this could be a winner. I did like how the relationships between the siblings developed.
Ellie
Mar 21, 2013 Ellie rated it it was amazing
This is is a great book.

It is about a girl called Roslinda. She loves the book 5 Chlidern and it. So when she is stuck with her little brother Robbie, Her half sister maddie, And her step sister Smash. She thinks it is going to be the worst summer ever. So when they find it. Will it turn into the best summer ever?

I loved this book. And a lovely rewrite of the 5 childern and it.
skippity_doo
Sep 04, 2012 skippity_doo rated it really liked it
A really lovely story. Classic Jacqueline Wilson, with dysfunctional family learning to rub along just a bit better by the conclusion. The fantastical elements were nicely balanced with real-world issues and the protagonist is classic JW. The wishing and its various rules made me think of Edward Eager's "Half Magic", in a good way. My reading group would have loved this!
Rebeccadanielle
Jul 15, 2014 Rebeccadanielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-2010s
I always loved E. Nesbit's 'Five Children and It' and as a huge Jacqueline Wilson fan I was very excited to hear about 'Four Children and It'. 'Five Children and It' could have been a disaster but Jacqueline Wilson is a fantastic writer and it is worth reading by children, Jacqueline Wilson fans and of course people who loved Five Children and It.
Angela Park
Apr 08, 2013 Angela Park rated it liked it
I think, that this was a very wonderful book for a kid in the ages 9-11? I'm a bit older then that, so I just wanted to Try reading this book since I am a huge fan of Jacqueline! (:
But in my honest opinion, I think that this book was somewhat boring. I still think the plot was nicely planned though!
Megan
Nov 02, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
This book is about four children Rosalind, Smash, Robbie and Maudie. Rosalind and Robbie ' s father married Smash ' s mother and they had Maudie. One day they went into a woods and met a magical creature. He granted them lots of wishes though they mostly went wrong in the end Rosalind wished for their hearts desire and they all got along very well.
Jacinda
Aug 24, 2015 Jacinda rated it really liked it
Ohhhh my goodness...Jacqueline Wilson can do no wrong!! The last line had me in tears it was so clever. I'm so glad for Smash, Robbie, Maudie and of course Rosalind. What a perfect ending! I delayed reading this for ever so long because I wasn't sure it was the kind of thing I'd want to read about but I just LOVED this book!
Caitlin Dennis
Nov 08, 2013 Caitlin Dennis rated it it was amazing
It is a good book about four children who find a magical creature in the sand pit in the local woods. It is based on five children and it by E Nesbit . I haven't read five children and it but Jacqueline Wilson's 'four children and it' has made we want to.
Ursula Clancy
Mar 17, 2014 Ursula Clancy rated it it was ok
when I first read this I actually really enjoyed it because even though there were still elements of JW's basic family problem patterns it was still really fun to read and was a little out of the blue. I thought it was really entertaining and I enjoyed it.
Kate B
Jun 12, 2015 Kate B rated it liked it
Modern reworking of Five Children and It. Families are smaller these days and more likely to be melded. Although, I'm not convinced the divorce rate is quite as high as Jacqueline Wilson's many novels suggest.
Rhea
Feb 27, 2016 Rhea rated it really liked it
I thought that it was a great book, I liked how Jacqueline Wilson added a part where the 4 characters met the actual "Five children and It" book characters. I recommend it to year 5-6 people (it might be boring for secondary people).
Fi
Apr 05, 2013 Fi rated it it was amazing
if you love Jacqueline Wilson books you will certainly enjoy this book its full of laughter and laughter and laughter with sudden cliff hangers and a fun quiz at the end of this book!

ITS AWESOME! :)
Elizabethk
Dec 11, 2014 Elizabethk rated it it was amazing
I think this book is very interesting, because the "it" creature, grants wishes, my favourite part was when Smash (Samantha), wished to be famous and they went to buy stuff in the shopping mall.I would recommend this book to children.
Four Children and It - A great book! ☺♥ 1 3 Aug 15, 2013 05:51AM
  • Mr. Gum and the Cherry Tree (Mr. Gum, #7)
  • Hero on a Bicycle
  • RatBurger
  • Binny for Short (Binny, #1)
  • The Chalet School in the Oberland (The Chalet School, #30)
  • Saskia the Salsa Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #55; The Dance Fairies, #6)
  • Prime Suspect (The Floods #5)
  • The Magic Paintbrush
  • Girl With a White Dog
  • Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer: A Golden Treasury of Classic Treats
  • An Eagle in the Snow
  • The Many Worlds of Albie Bright
  • Minnow on the Say
  • Coco Caramel (Chocolate Box Girls, #4)
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...