Start by marking “The Big Wander” as Want to Read:
The Big Wander

The Big Wander

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A Summer To Remember
Fourteen-year-old Clay Lancaster has been dreaming for years of the adventure he calls The Big Wander -- a summer in the Southwest with his older brother, Mike, searching for their uncle Clay. When Mike decides to return home to Seattle and the girlfriend he left behind, Clay chooses to stay on and continue the search on his own.
Following a tip abou...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Wander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Wander

Jason
The book The Big Wander is about a kid named Clay with his brother Mike looking for their uncle Clay who Clay was named after. He was a professional boxer and Clay wanted to see him again. Claymeets many problems like Mike's emotional problems,girl problems, and actually finding uncle Clay.

I can connect to the World how so many people have ran off to do something they wanted to do, like College. They go off to study and everything and that is like uncle Clay. Uncle Clay ran off to the West to se...more
Kelsey Petersen
I thought this book started off a little slow, but it picked up in the middle and I ended up really liking it. I really liked the protagonist, and it almost gave me that same feel as Hatchet. It's one of those books I can imagine reading to my kids at bed time.

This book also had a lot of fun facts. I learned a lot about Indian customs and the way they lived. Plus this was set in the 60's so there were some fun little time period things in there as well. All around it was a fun read, and a fun co...more
Dorothy
I love the mountains and the country, which you can plainly see on the cover. I knew this book would have a lot to do with the western theme and I am a sucker for cowboys. Super attractive. However, we aren't here to talk about cowboys. Based on the title I thought it would be about an adventure. I mean "The Big Wander" just screams cowboy adventure to me.
Overall the book was good, but it wasn't what I was expecting it to be. I was a little disappointed. It's a very good book to read when you wa...more
Jordan Ethridge
This book takes you on an adventure with a young man named Clay. Clay is a City boy from Seattle, but him and his brother decide to go to the southwest to look for their uncle that they haven't talked to in some time. I liked how you could see a lot of growth in Clay over the span of the book. The ending of the book isn't as built up as a lot of other books and the book was over pretty quick. I think it was more realistic though than a lot of other adventure books.
I would recommend this book to...more
Sara
I love these young adult books because the information is around my neck of the woods. I believe Hobbs does a great job in getting factual information too.
Dayna Smith
In the summer of 1962 two brothers head from Seattle to Arizona to search for their missing uncle. When his older brother decides to return home, he misses his girlfriend, 14-year-old Clay finds a job at a trading post to stay and continue the search. He travels into Utah with a mule and a puppy, meets some friendly Navajos, a nice Mormon family, and ultimately his uncle. This is a great story about friendship, growing up, and doing the right thing no matter what. A highly recommended read, espe...more
Maya
this was recommended to me by a 13 year old girl and her mother, as i had just recently moved to arizona. i think their recommendation and enthusiasm added to my appreciation of this story. and the fact that i also love the southwest. i do wonder if my perspective would have been different had i read this many years ago when i was the age of its intended audience. for now, though, i appreciate the wide-eyed adventure story of a 14 year old boy saving the world on horseback.
Sam
I enjoyed listening to this book with my 12 yo son each week on our way to and from bagpipe practice. He thought it was a great story which took place in early 60's and in parts of Arizona and Utah.
James Denison
A seminal book of my childhood/young adulthood. Would recommend highly to any preteen boys in search of an excellent adventure in the outdoors.
Stephanie Riggs
I've read better. Its probably a good adolescent boy book.
Bret QuickBear
Absolutly one of the best books i have ever read
Sarah Sammis
Loved it from start to finish.
Nancy (Colorado)
Maren
Maren added it
Jul 28, 2014
Janea Elena
Janea Elena marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 03, 2014
Ps25
Ps25 marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
WILL HOBBS is the author of seventeen novels for upper elementary, middle school and young adult readers, as well as two picture book stories. Seven of his novels, Bearstone, Downriver, The Big Wander, Beardance, Far North, The Maze, and Jason's Gold, were named Best Books for Young Adults by the American Library Association. ALA also named Far North and Downriver to their list of the 100 Best You...more
More about Will Hobbs...