Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4)

Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell #4)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  1,009 ratings  ·  184 reviews
The fourth and final installment of a "riveting" (RT Book reviews) urban fantasy series about a renegade mage and the demons who love her.

Complicated does not begin to describe Arcadia Bell's life right now: unnatural magical power, another brush with death, and a murderous mother who's not only overbearing but determined to take permanent possession of Cady's body.

Forced...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Pocket

To ask other readers questions about Banishing the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Banishing the Dark

Night Broken by Patricia BriggsThe King by J.R. WardUp From the Grave by Jeaniene FrostSixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda JonesBurning Dawn by Gena Showalter
2014 Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy (January - June)
20th out of 432 books — 2,174 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
222nd out of 2,454 books — 15,340 voters

More lists with this book...

Bonnie
Banishing the Dark picks up weeks after the explosive ending in Binding the Shadows. Cady is back at home after recuperating in the hospital but there is still much to be concerned about, primarily her violent mother who will stop at nothing to take Cady’s powers. In an attempt to protect Cady and her loved ones, a memory spell is cast that ends up causing even more problems. It’s a race against the clock to find out reverse the spells performed on Cady as a child, before her entire life is take...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Guess what? Finding out that you’re holding the last book in a beloved series just as you finish reading the epilogue pretty much sucks. Banishing the Dark is our good bye to Cady and Lon, and I didn’t even realize it until I reached the ending, after which I frantically tweeted at Jenn asking for confirmation. I was blindsided, unprepared to part ways with these characters! I was not ready to let go.

And yet, with this spectacular series finale, Jenn Bennett turned saying goodbye into...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
4 - 4.5 ★'s

At the end of the last book, Binding the Shadows, we know that Cady survived another major battle but just barely. And we found out a huge secret. Now Cady and Lon have to decide how they're going to move forward with this and what they're going to do about Cady's mother.

This book was sooo a-mazing! It was everything you would want in the last book of a series and more. I'm really sad that this is it and there is no more Cady, Lon and Jupe but...it did end well and that's what matte...more
The Holy Terror
Wow. This series took me completely by surprise. I liked the first book but didn't love it, but there was just enough creativity with the world, the magic, and its characters for me to want to give the second book a chance. And after that I grabbed the novella. And then I devoured the third book. Then finally I made a mad dash for this one, because SHIT WAS GETTIN' REAL as everything was coming to its badass conclusion. As you can imagine, I was shocked and delighted that each book only got bett...more
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on Tangled in Pages

Note: This review may or may not be incoherent. Do not blame me. Blame the fact that I just finished one of my favorite series.

It is kind of hard to believe that one of my favorite urban fantasy series has finally come to an end. I was late to the party but for the past year I’ve loved and re-read this series and become a huge fan of the author and it’s so sad to let a series you loved finally go.

This series is perfect, you have great charac...more
Aliyah
ahh, my God, so far away, I can't wait till May, I need this book now. I started crying at the end of the last book and need to know what's gonna happen. I really, really need this book!!!
AH
Initial Thoughts; 4.0-5.0 stars. I am so sad that this series has to end. And wow, what a way to end a series. I feel conflicted. I am sad it's over and pleased that it was done so well.

The Review:
Banishing the Dark is a perfect ending for one of my favorite series. In Banishing the Dark, Cady and Lon's relationship is tested as Cady undergoes a memory spell in order to protect herself from her mother. Oh, I really felt for Lon who could not fill in the blanks for Cady!

My favorite teenager Jup...more
Keertana
I inhaled the entire Arcadia Bell Quartet back in early December, my thoughts an incoherent jumble of too-loud exclamations and too-few actual words. Even now, months later, my thoughts resemble the flailing limbs of a fangirl whenever they stray back towards Jenn Bennett's perfect, oh-so-perfect, Urban Fantasy debut.

From the surface, Arcadia Bell seems to be deceptively similar to mercenary Kate Daniels: a magician, parents with ever-so-slightly-evil origins, and a penchant for attracting dang...more
Susana
This is the last book in the series???
Noes!!!

Wow!
I loved this!
Review to come..

And here it is. The last book of the Arcadia Bell series....

"Banishing the Dark" picks up a few weeks after the "you know what happened" in the last pages of Binding The Shadows (book #3).

Feelings are running high, Cady's sociopath of a mother continues lurking on the horizon waiting for a chance to attack _long story ~go read the first book!~ _ and Cady is running out of ideas.

So what does she do?
Well, I co...more
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

2014 seems to be the year of series finales, and out of all of them, ARCADIA BELL has been the one that I’ve been dreading the most. Jenn Bennett is one of my top five go-to Urban Fantasy authors, and having to say goodbye to these beloved characters after only four books (and a novella) is heartbreaking. That point aside, BANISHING THE DARK is pure magic with its topsy-turvy plot, explosive chemistry and exceptional epilogue. And, the first ever chapters from Jupe’s POV...more
Melindeeloo
4.5 stars - I really liked it. When we last left magician/Tiki bar owner Cady she was in a coma and we also were privy to some very interesting news... Now that Cady is awake, she's going to make sure that mommy dearest - who is banished but not out of the game - doesn't get another chance to claim Cady's emerging Moonchild powers for herself. But to do that Cady needs to find the ritual used during her conception.

I was late to the game in discovering this series, but made up for lost time by r...more
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Originally reviewed on Romancing the Dark Side:

A bittersweet, but satisfying ending to one of my favorite series!

Warning: My biggest feat while writing this review is trying to make it spoiler free, I’ll try my best to contain my excitement and give you just enough without revealing too much…

BANISHING THE DARK is the highly anticipated conclusion to Jenn Bennett’s Arcadia Bell series and I must say she pulled out all the stops on this one! After coming close to death at the end of BINDING THE S...more
Julie
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Banishing the Dark is the fourth book in Jenn Bennett’s absolutely amazing Arcadia Bell series. This is easily one of my favorite urban fantasy series. The storylines are so interesting and the characters are simply outstanding.

This installment follows Arcadia (Cady) and Lon, her boyfriend who happens to be quite a bit older than her, an Earthbound demon and sexy as hell, as they try to keep Cady’s mother in the Æther, where she belongs because, as we le...more
Mara
I started Banishing the Dark with a lump in my throat. As I guess every other fan did, knowing this is the final book in a beloved series.

And the first part of the book delivered, there're some tension, some pretty funny moments, some romantic ones. But midway you start to realize that there's not much meat in to this stew.

Mommy Dearest isn't present, she's no real threat, there's no tension to the plot, nothing really happens until 80%. Jupe, still a great character, is transformed into a idi...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
A wonderful end to an awesome series. In Banishing the Dark, Cady and Lon are once again behind the eight ball trying to figure out exactly what happened to conceive Cady. How did she become infused with moonchildabilities and why is her mother able to tap into her powers and control her? For Cady, it seems as if all her crisis have a termination date. If she doesn't solve the problem by a certain time limit, boom, game over for her. This is beyond stressful.

Ms. Bennett does an excellent job of...more
Steph
Is there anything better, for a serious series addict, than getting your hands on an upcoming release in one of your favorite series before it hits the shelves? No! Is there anything more depressing than realizing said book is the final book in the series only after you reach the end? No!

*sigh*

This series jumped onto my favorite series - must-buy list as soon as I finished book one, Kindling the Moon. There is just no way an urban fantasy fan could not fall in love with these characters Jenn Ben...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
**I received this book for free via NetGalley/Pocket Books in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*My Thoughts*

Banishing the Dark picks up the pieces from the devastating cliffhanger left over from Binding the Shadows which pretty much left everyone crying out in anguish. Cady still has a whole lot on her plate, and no real time to cry over what happened to her. She's managed to defeat Dare, and somehow survived thanks to her a...more
Kirsten
I have truly enjoyed this series and am sad to see it come to an end. I will miss many things about the world of Arcadia Bell, including Lon's pirate mustache. The final book kept me on the edge of my seat and I loved the epilogue. It was the perfect ending! I would not mind a spin-off series with Jupe *hinthint*, especially if Cady and Lon make a cameo appearance.
Valerie ~ Val Hall ~
It's one of my favorite series and I'm very sad that it had to end after only 4 books. In many respect it is difficult to keep up the quality of a story and stretch it over many books. I think it was the right time to close but I still wanted more....maybe a spin-off pretty please.

Banishing the dark picks up right after the events of Binding the Shadows where Cady undergo a memory spell to protect herself from her mother. This puts a real strain on her relationship with Lon who cannot fill in th...more
Olivia ツ
Ending a series is tricky business. Too often I'm left feeling unsatisfied and let down. Ending a series while it's still going strong takes courage. Jenn Bennett managed to give a satisfactory 4th and final book to a series that very easily could have dragged on and on.

Book 3 left us with a huge cliffhanger. Cady was left literally broken. Her newfound abilities have allowed her to heal herself. Cady is on a crucial mission to find out what her mother did to conceive her and what the "moonchild...more
CJ - Drop Dead Cute
4.7

Too soon to review this book as it is brand new, so it will be a short one. However, this is a great ending to a really solid and great series and fans will be very happy with this one.

photo ilovedit_zpsef4e11da.gif

While I'm sad to see this series go, and I do hope that Bennett hopes to write some novellas for the Bell/Butler bunch, this ended the only way it could. A circle that was closed in a very poetic way for both mother and daughter.

It also made me hate Enola even more, and I didn't think it was possible. However,...more
danielle
This is a bittersweet moment. While I could not have wished for a more thrilling or satisfying conclusion for Cady, Lon, and Jupe, it's always tough to say goodbye to much-loved characters. This is a series I've adored from the very beginning, and that adoration has never waned. You want colorful and imaginative worldbuilding? Arcadia Bell delivers. You want loveable characters who attach themselves to your heart? Arcadia Bell has the permanent glue loaded and ready. You want a swoony and drama-...more
Meigan
Such a perfect farewell to one of the best series I have had the joy of reading. I will definitely miss these characters, most of all Jupe. I fell in love with that kid from the first book, and he has continued to be enough to keep me coming back to this series. Of course, it helps that Jenn Bennett can write her ass off, filling her stories with such awesome characters that you can't help but get attached to them. But add in Jupiter, and it turns the series from really good to great.

Cady is re...more
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
Originally posted at The Bookaholic Cat

Banishing the Dark is the fourth book in the Arcadia Bell series by Jenn Bennett.

It’s always hard to say goodbye, especially to those you love, I’m not only talking about people, but books and characters alike. When I learned Jenn Bennett was writing the last book in her Arcadia Bell series I wanted to beg her to keep writing more books, but at the end I couldn’t do that. I admire an author who knows when is the right time to say goodbye to her characters a...more
Sharon
If you look at the dates you'll think it took me a month to read this book.

That's a total lie. But it will all be explained in my review (which will be up this weekend)

Just a hint- I cried, I denied, I mourned and finally I learned to accept the fact that this is a goodbye to Cady and Lon.
Realizing you're reading the final book in a beloved series only when you reach the epilogue and see everything is tied with a little red ribbon can make one feel great sadness.

I wasn't prepared to say good...more
Cassandra Mello
I kind of want to cry. Don't get me wrong, this book was everything I hoped for and *more* (way way way more actually), but is this the end?? Really? I don't want it to be true!!! I finished it a while ago, and still have this strange feeling whenever I think about it. It ended well with an amazing epilogue (thank you thank you!!), but I am clearly a glutton for this series.

I wish I could write a better review, and maybe next time I read it I can sum up all of my favorite parts and smile and la...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Looks like it's almost out of print. Book 3 is expensive - almost $19 at Amazon! This for a mass paperback, readers!
Christal
3.5 - 4 stars

This one was pretty slow until the 70% mark or thereabouts... Surprisingly so for a series ender. There was a lot of running around that didn't really pay off much in the end. I still enjoyed it, but I didn't quite get the wow factor this time. It's probably just me though; everyone else seems to have loved it so far. I just expected more after the doozy that was the third book. I did really like the epilogue though. I need to think on this one some more. Full review to come.
Piseog

I am so sad. When I was nearing the end (this book seemed very short; I finished it so quickly) I became almost depressed because I was already missing these characters. I'm really sad that we never get to read about them again. I know I can re-read the four books, but that makes me sadder because I know it will all end again. It's only been a couple of hours, I'll get over it soon. Also, I really wanted to read the parts after the final chapter (before the epilogue). So for these reaso...more
Myonlycookie
The Urban Fixation: Banishing the Dark by Jenn Bennett 4 16 May 27, 2014 12:32PM
  • Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11)
  • Against the Dawn (Shaede Assassin, #4)
  • Untitled (Downside Ghosts, #6)
  • Cold Hard Secret  (Secret McQueen, #7)
  • Red Blooded (Jessica McClain, #4)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • Edge of Darkness (Rhiannon's Law, #4)
  • Fury of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #6)
  • Stone Cold (Broken Magic, #2)
  • Reap the Wind (Cassandra Palmer, #7)
  • Cursed Moon (The Prospero's War, #2)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3)
  • House of the Rising Sun (Crescent City, #1)
  • Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson
  • Bloodshifted (Edie Spence, #5)
  • Requiem For The Dead (Dreg City, #5)
JENN BENNETT is the author of: the Roaring Twenties series (Berkley Sensation) and the Arcadia Bell UF series (Pocket Books). Her first YA contemporary romance, THE NIGHT OWLS, will debut in 2015 (Macmillan). She lives near Atlanta with one husband and two evil pugs. Visit her at www.jennbennett.net.

Want to be notified when her next book is coming out? Join her mailing list: http://eepurl.com/V5il...more
More about Jenn Bennett...
Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell, #1) Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2) Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3) Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5) Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)