Start by marking “Masked Ball at Broxley Manor (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Masked Ball at Broxley Manor (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #0.5)

Masked Ball at Broxley Manor (Her Royal Spyness 0.5)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,885 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
A delectable prequel to the national bestselling Royal Spyness mysteries featuring Lady Georgiana Rannoch—thirty forth in line to the throne, and England’s poorest heiress.

Published October 2nd 2012 by Berkley (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Masked Ball at Broxley Manor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masked Ball at Broxley Manor

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingMaisie Dobbs by Jacqueline WinspearMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Favorite Historical Mystery Series
421st out of 770 books — 864 voters
Dancing with a Dead Horse by Danielle DeVorCutting Right to the Chase by Stefania MattanaInto the Killer Sphere by Stefania MattanaGeorge by C.L. HeckmanMurphy's Law by Rhys Bowen
Mystery Books to Share with Anyone
38th out of 137 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This was a decent little story that I picked up as an audible freebie some time ago. There really wasn't much of a mystery until the end of the story but the descriptions of the ball were interesting enough. The voices that were used for a couple of the characters did get on my nerves but those characters were not featured enough for it to be a huge deal.

I did like the main character and plan to continue with the series.
Susan
Nov 04, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic novella for Halloween. I always love the spunky story's of Lady Georgiana's (34th to the crown) adventures. She is a wonderfully down to earth young woman, who at the most inappropriate times becomes quite clumsy. In this Halloween romp she is summoned to attend a costume ball where a secret plot to fix her up is at hand. A mysterious masked stranger, a murder attempt, a great explosion, a very inappropriate advance and a bit of history make this another great addition to "The Royal ...more
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
Lady Georgiana is always such fun! And Katie Kellgren does such a great job narrating this small audiobook.

Loved the addition of historical characters - Wallis Simpson, Prince Edward (Davy), Queen Mary...

Reminds me I need to get caught up in the rest of this wonderful series!
This is a very short trip into the life of Georgie, our beloved royal, at the very beginning of the Depression and before the events of the Her Royal Spyness series. She's living in London with Binky and the venomous Fig, and her unsuccessful debutante season has come to a close. In typical manipulative fashion, HM attempts to set Georgie up with a Prussian prince by sending her off to a Halloween masked ball where she not only confronts a house-full of guests expecting her to do the done thing, ...more
Jaylia3
Oct 30, 2012 Jaylia3 rated it really liked it
If you’ve enjoyed the misadventures of impoverished royal (thirty fourth in-line to the throne) Lady Georgiana in the Her Royal Spyness series, you’ll probably also enjoy this short story prequel. It provides background information that will be interesting to fans, including how Lady Georgiana met enigmatic love interest Darcy, but it’s light on plot, characterization and suspense so if you haven’t yet read anything else in the Her Royal Spyness series, this isn’t the place to start. It’s curren ...more
Hannah
Masked Ball at Broxley Manor is a fun little short story prequel to Lady Georgiana's adventures in the Royal Spyness series, where fans are finally told the story of Georgie and Darcy's first (fateful?) meeting at a Halloween ball.

People who have read the first book, Her Royal Spyness, would remember that Darcy (view spoiler). At the time the incident was never explained and I wondered whe
Jul 24, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: e, cosy-mystery
A very short prequel to the series "Her Royal Spyness", which I have already read. Since this does nothing more than introduce the main characters, with no real story to mention, it was all rather pointless, for me at any rate.
Mo
Jul 24, 2015 Mo rated it liked it
This was ok. It didn't really add all that much to Lady Georgiana's story, but was fine as an introduction to the series.

Short stories usually feel very rushed to me, and this was no exception. It almost felt like an abridged version of Royal Blood, the 4th book in the series.

I've already read the first 5 books in this series, and I prefer the longer stories. However, please note that the author tends to be repetitive, so I wouldn't recommend reading this series of books one right after the othe
Debra
A fun short story prequel to Rhys Bowen's also fun Lady Georgiana caper/mystery series. Probably most of interest to those who already know the major players.

Audible offered this as a 2014 Halloween free read so I downloaded it. I still did enjoy Rhys Bowen's story, but again really, really hated Katherine Kellgren's narration. Just so over the top. Thank heavens it was free.
Selah
Jan 02, 2015 Selah rated it really liked it
Adorable little entry in the Her Royal Spyness series. I love the little glimpses of real history that Bowen weaves into her stories.
Lori McD
A prequel to the series, this yummy little story tells the tale of Georgie's invitation to the palace to meet Prince Otto, a Prussian 2nd cousin that their majesties think might be a good match for her. It's set in 1929, the year of 19 year old Georgie's "coming out"/debut. It's the fall of that Season, and while successful in many ways, Georgie's not engaged, much to the chagrin of her sister-in-law, Fig.

Georgie IS, however, invited to the palace to have tea with the Queen. She's 34th in line f
Hannah

This was a short, enjoyable little story introducing Lady Georgianna Rannoch. I'd recommend reading book one first and then going back to this one, but it could stand alone pretty well, too. I always enjoy Bowen's mysteries, and while this doesn't focus so much on the mystery itself, it's a pleasant quick read.
Kimberly Ann
Jan 28, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it it was ok
1/2

This is a very short story which is suppose to be the prequel to Her Royal Spyness series.... We meet Lady Georgiana 34th in line to the Crown, Prince Otto of Prussia; Georgie's cousin David (Windsor); his soon to be whore, Wallace Simpson; Georgie's brother, Binky; her sour sister-in-law, Fig; and the dashing Darcy O'Mara.

All this is, is an introduction to a cast of characters that are featured in the other books in the series, there is no real story, no murders, no spying.... really nothi
Julie P
Oct 31, 2014 Julie P rated it really liked it
Even though I read this in November 2013, I received a free copy via Audible of the audiobook. Katherine Kellgren is a fabulous narrator, and I love how she sounds when narrating Her Royal Spyness novels. Great stuff, and I enjoy listening to them over and over.
Lara
Feb 22, 2015 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I listened to the audiobook and enjoyed this short story that predates the series heroine's later adventures. Poor Georgiana is invited to a royal reception and a fancy dress house party. However, she is not typically the type of guest invited, despite her royal connections. Once she attends, she figures out the reason, and has something of a choice to make. She also meets someone very intriguing, but about whom she knows little. The story was fun, and the attitudes sadly accurate to the time. H ...more
PCT
Poonam
A very quick read outlining the first meet between darcy and georgie.
MissSusie
May 18, 2016 MissSusie rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, 2014, audible-books
Really fun prequel to the Royal Spyness Series!
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Oct 01, 2012 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as maybe-read-sometime
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: GR monthly e-mail
Shelves: mystery-genre
ebook only? Meh.
Leigh
A short but sweet story about Georgie during her debut season. She receives an invitation to a costume ball at Broxley Manor for Halloween, which she suspects (correctly) that it is a match making plot. Sure enough she finds she is being pushed in the direction of Prince Otto from Germany. To her surprise though she finds she is falling in love with Prince Otto who is dressed as a devil, to her costume as a fallen angel. However all is not well with this party and the handsome man in the devil c ...more
Michelle
Apr 29, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
(3.5 stars) This was a short story prequel to the Her Royal Spyness series. Lady Georgiana has just completed an unsuccessful Season in London. While she is 34th in line to the throne, the queen believes that she may be an excellent match for an errrant German prince. She is invited to the palace where the introduction fails to take place when the prince does not show up, and then is invited to a Halloween party/masked ball in the countryside. She is relieved when costumes are provided by the Am ...more
Holly
Apr 08, 2014 Holly rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this novella--a brief look at Georgie before the events of the first Royal Spyness book. It takes place during her deb season and shows some of the early attempts at matchmaking. And it also lets the reader see Georgie's first meeting with Darcy. But, really, there just wasn't enough here for me to rate this higher. It's a fine little read (took me about 30 minutes or so) if you're a fan of the other books, but I wouldn't go out of my way to track it down.
Thenia
Mar 19, 2014 Thenia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, 2014
Georgiana and Darcy's first meeting!

This is a short story about young Georgiana at the end of her debut season and the first time she met Darcy O'Mara in a masked ball. She doesn't get to see his face or even learn his name and has no idea who he is since he has been standing in for a prince she was set up to meet. Their time together is cut short and that first part of their story ends with a lovely short letter he writes to her both to explain and say goodbye.

Fortunately they meet again and th
Erik Moloney
Jan 10, 2016 Erik Moloney rated it really liked it

At the end of her first unsuccessful season out in society, Lady Georgiana has all but given up on attracting a suitable man—until she receives an invitation to a masked Halloween ball at Broxley Manor. Georgie is uncertain why she was invited, until she learns that the royal family intends to marry her off to a foreign prince
Sidney
Jan 09, 2016 Sidney rated it really liked it
Fun, not an intricate puzzle, though there's a bit of intrigue. Above all it's a nice prequel to Lady Georgiana's adventures and establishes one important relationship.

Detail-oriented readers may be troubled by the fact that it's 1929 and there's a costume at the ball that seems inspired by Karloff's 1931 Frankenstein makeup, unless the 1927 Peggy Webling stage version featured a creature with a bolt in his neck.
Jami
Nov 18, 2014 Jami rated it really liked it
This was a freebie from Audible; I love their freebies so thank you Audible! I had recently finished the first book in this series and added the second to my tbr, so the timing was perfect. I like these short prequels, as they are good fillers in between getting to the books in the series. The narrator is excellent - I love her English accents, particularly when she does the shrill, prissy sister-in-law!
Phoebe
Feb 04, 2015 Phoebe rated it really liked it
To be honest what makes this series awesome is the fact that its light and fun. The cases are somewhat predictable. That is why I give this series four stars and not five. What really makes it stand out is the narration. Trust me and listen to this series. Don't read it. Katherine Kellgren's narration is out of this world. I have heard her before but she is very good in this series.
Dharia Scarab
Mar 21, 2015 Dharia Scarab rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle

4 sta
Linda
Georgiana is 19 and not married yet. This concerns her family a great deal because they aren't as wealthy as they used to be and need her out on her own. Georgiana has been presented to society but no suitors have appeared to sweep her off her feet. Just when everyone is sure she will be a spinster she is asked to two balls. At one she is to meet a Russian prince but he does not appear. At the second, a masked ball, she does meet a wonderful stranger that she believes is the prince and she is in ...more
Shauna
Dec 11, 2014 Shauna rated it really liked it
This little e-novella (about Lady Georgiana Rannoch, 34th in line ot the throne, and England's poorest heiress) intrigued me enough to seek out more; unfortunately, my library does not yet have anything else of this series on offer. Perhaps I will check out other Rhys Bowen works instead.
DOM 2 16 Mar 17, 2014 04:09PM
  • Silent Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.5)
  • Emily and Colin’s Wedding: A Tears of Pearl Prequel Story  (Lady Emily, #3.5)
  • Imperial Scandal (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #5)
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)
  • The Passion of the Purple Plumeria (Pink Carnation, #10)
  • A Medal for Murder (Kate Shackleton, #2)
  • Miss Dimple Disappears (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #1)
  • The Walnut Tree
  • Mrs. Jeffries Learns the Trade (Mrs Jeffries #1-3)
  • Murder In the North End (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #5)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Her Royal Spyness (10 books)
  • Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3)
  • Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4)
  • Naughty in Nice (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #5)
  • The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6)
  • Heirs and Graces (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #7)
  • Queen of Hearts (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #8)
  • Malice at the Palace (Her Royal Spyness, #9)
  • Crowned and Dangerous (Her Royal Spyness, #10)