Start by marking “Gods of Risk (Expanse, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Gods of Risk (Expanse, #2.5)

Gods of Risk (The Expanse #2.5)

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  4,530 Ratings  ·  299 Reviews
As tension between Mars and Earth mounts, and terrorism plagues the Martian city of Londres Nova, sixteen-year-old David Draper is fighting his own lonely war. A gifted chemist vying for a place at the university, David leads a secret life as a manufacturer for a ruthless drug dealer. When his friend Leelee goes missing, leaving signs of the dealer's involvement, David ...more
Published September 15th 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Gods of Risk, please sign up.

Maryann Fläsch It is just filler as it isn't totally connected to the global plot of the protomolecule but it gives some insight into the unchanging state of…moreIt is just filler as it isn't totally connected to the global plot of the protomolecule but it gives some insight into the unchanging state of humanity and how even if you put people on another planet, you'll never eliminate addiction, crime, mental illness, abuse, poverty and all the other treatable conditions of humanity unless we had a drastic shift from the "don't judge my lifestyle choice" culture to one where unhealthy acting out and the intergenerational transmission of trauma is no longer tolerated and treated like the mental health pandemic that it is.

To me, this story shows that despite leaps and bounds in technological advancement, humanity evolves sociologically just as slowly as ever and it is both depressing in that the reality of malfunctioning brain biology will most likely not be taken seriously for hundreds of years (from today, in the real world) but there will always be a 5% that will carry the other 95% of broken humanity out even to the stars. (less)

Becky
"You're a tough guy, but I'm a nightmare wrapped in the apocalypse."

I've slowly but surely been making my way through this series, and I'm loving it. These little side stories do add a little something to the main series, and in this case, that something was a deeper liking of Roberta Draper. I liked her in Caliban's War well enough, but not as much as I wanted to. But now I've had some distance from Caliban's War, and in my mind, she's taken on kind of a mythical badassery, and that, combined
Emily (BellaGrace)
Sep 01, 2016 Emily (BellaGrace) rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, short-story
Well that was anti-climatic and rather "meh". Bobbie is barely in the story and you don't really gain any insight about her. You can safely skip this one and not miss out on anything in the main novels.
Ashley
"It was like his parents had suddenly realized he wouldn't be there forever, and now their love was like a police state; he couldn't escape it."

David Draper, the sixteen year old nephew of Bobbie Draper, is a self-entitled little piece of shit.

I have very little patience for intelligent children with loving families who live in stable economic situations, and yet they still insist on being angry little assholes. This is David, a gifted chemist who lives on Mars, and who is headed for great thin
Eric
Jun 03, 2013 Eric rated it it was ok
I’m on record as being a big fan of James S.A. Corey’s (the pen name used by Daniel Abraham (Twitter) and Ty Franck) Expanse series, so I eagerly read the novella GODS OF RISK in advance of their next novel ABADDON’S GATE. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this was the weakest entry in the Expanse series.

GODS OF RISK takes place on Mars when tensions are growing between it and Earth. Bobbie Draper is present in the story, but she is a peripheral character. The protagonist is David Draper, her nephew
Efka
May 02, 2016 Efka rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
It doesn't matter, if the underworld we speak of is Martian, or Earthian, they both are equally dark, grim and oppressive. But meeting Bobbie one more time still was a pleasure, even though she's more of a support character here, not a protagonist.
Aaron
Aug 12, 2015 Aaron rated it really liked it
A side story that takes place some time after Caliban's War and focuses on David Draper, the nephew of Gunnery Sergeant Bobbie Draper who has just returned from a harrowing mission. David is 15 and one of Mars's bright young chemists, except he has a little drug cooking operation on the side. David increasingly feels his academic and underworld halves colliding and begins making some dangerous choices in order to ensure the safety of those he cares about.

I'm oversimplifying things, but Gods of R
William
Jan 12, 2016 William rated it really liked it
A superb back-story from The Expanse series. The author has written back-stories to most of the main characters and events, and each of them is wonderful and insightful. A must-read if you love The Expanse.
Daniel
Apr 05, 2015 Daniel rated it liked it
Fina prica ali iskreno skoro da ni ne kapiram njenu poentu. Ako izbacimo par sitnica koji je vezuju za Expanse univerz ovo bi moglo biti smesteno u bilo koju knjigu.

Zabavno ali mozete slobodno preskociti.
Dara
Oct 21, 2015 Dara rated it it was ok
If you're a fan of the Expanse series, you'll likely enjoy this short story but if you're looking for new insight or more background in the overall story, you'll be left wanting.

David is you're typical angsty teenager. He's involved in cooking drugs. Bobbie Draper is features some in this story but nothing you absolutely need to read. There's nothing new revealed about her character.

2 out of 5 stars.
James
Dec 03, 2015 James rated it really liked it
Another short story from the Orbit Short Fiction line. As with so many of these titles, Orbit haven't yet bothered to make this one available to UK readers – luckily there are always ways around that. Whereas The Butcher of Anderson Station was explaining a part of the back story to Leviathan Wakes ; Gods of Risk is almost totally unrelated to the larger story arcs. Instead we are treated to the tale of Bobbie's, somewhat annoying, nephew. Set on Mars after the events of Caliban's War , Bo ...more
Emily
Oct 10, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
A short novella set between books two and three of The Expanse series. The main character is David Draper, nephew of Roberta “Bobbie” Draper, the Martian Marine introduced in the previous volume of the series.
David is studying bio-chemistry in school and has gotten himself in a bit of a situation with a local lowlife for whom he “cooks” drugs. His aunt Bobbie is mostly a frustration and interference for him, but her situation with being at loose ends following her dismissal from both her previo
Bee
Feb 21, 2015 Bee rated it really liked it
A nice little detour into the so far very unexplored recesses of Mars. Following the dubious adventures of Bobby's cousin David. Interesting and insightful
Phil
Oct 06, 2016 Phil rated it really liked it
Interesting little detour with a third party perspective of everyone's favorite character from Book 2 of the expanse series, Bobbie Draper. Highlights some of her emotional fallout from her previous adventure while living with her family. No idea if David's character will crop up again later in the series, but enjoyed the small story and seeing Bobbi finally do her thing to help out David in the end.
Shara
Sep 24, 2012 Shara rated it really liked it
When I originally discovered it on Amazon (after reading Caliban's War and deciding that everything and anything in this series should be pre-ordered ASAP), it was pre-ordered, and for some reason, I thought it was show in December. I was rather surprised to get the email that it'd been delivered this month instead, so who knows? I added it to my growing pile of 2012 TBR books, and read it at first opportunity because it'd provide a nice break from the fantasy I'd been reading.

I didn't take note
Nancy O'Toole
Apr 24, 2016 Nancy O'Toole rated it liked it
To his fellow students, David Draper is a talented sixteen-year-old chemist with a real shot at getting a good placement at a prestigious university. No one knows that he cooks drugs on the side. Finding himself torn between his two lives, David inadvertently puts himself in danger. It's up to his aunt, Bobbie Draper, to pull him out of the fire.

With book three of The Expanse, Abaddon's Gate, upon us, I thought it would be great timing to read the Expanse novella, Gods of Risk, to get in the moo
David
I almost lowered this novella to 3 stars because I found the protagonist, David Draper, so damned annoying I wanted to smack him.

Another one of the Corey writing duo's "filler" novellas set in between their Expanse novels, this one takes place on Mars shortly after Caliban's War. David Draper is the nephew of Marine Gunnery Sergeant Bobby Draper, one of the main characters in the aforementioned novel. She plays only a small (but significant) part in this novella.

David is a promising and gifted y
G33z3r
A bit disappointing compared to the rest of the Expanse novels.

This story concerns David, a Martian teenager about to get the Martian equivalent of a college assignment. More or less as a lark, he's using the school's chemistry lab to cook drugs in his spare time, which he sells to a fellow named Hutch. When David gets the hots for Leelee, one of Hutch's other underlings, his efforts to "rescue" her will lead to complications.

The story is short, yet the early going is still rather tedious. The
Katherine
Jan 27, 2016 Katherine rated it really liked it
Another story set on Mars, but this time focusing on a teenager with a gift for biochemistry. Between doing his labs and waiting to find out which university placement he’s won, David has a little sideline going on with some rather shady characters: he’s been cooking up narcotics for the underground drug trade. And he’s very good at it. But when a pretty girl calls him, asking for help, he’s willing to do whatever it takes to rescue her. Meanwhile, tensions between Earth and Mars are at an ...more
Nick
Jul 05, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much like "The Butcher of Anderson Station", this short work is a nice look at another part of the life of one of the characters from the main novel series, in this case it focuses on the nephew of Bobby, the marine gunnery sergeant partially responsible for preventing the attack on mars in "Caliban's War".

Bobby was a favourite character of mine so I enjoyed reading a slice of her life taken post Caliban's War, as she struggles to find a place in a world that now often views her as a traitor. It
Scott
Dec 17, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
Sometimes interlude novellas seem like just a bunch of trivial filler. Not so with Gods of Risk, a story set within James Corey's Expanse saga. Corey writes a taut Sf thriller here, where Mars has been colonized into underground / domed cities linked by tubes and metro-rail ("The city, such as it was, had burrowed deep into the flesh of Mars, using the soil as insulation and radiation shielding with only ten domes pressing out to the surface"). The narrative centers around David, a young chemlab ...more
Monique
Dec 22, 2015 Monique rated it liked it
The novel follows David Draper, a teenager who makes and deals drug while attending school. He makes the drugs for the money and the thrill of it. When his friend gets in trouble he tries to help, but since he is not street smart he lands in even more trouble and needs his aunt Bobbie Draper to help him.

This story wasn’t bad but it wasn’t exceptional either and the story didn’t seem to have a purpose in the Expanse Universe. The novel doesn’t talk about the protomolecule, planetary issues, batt
Richard Radgoski
This was a harder story to follow. The author(s) note that writing a Novella allows for more exploration into a character...and that is what we got. Unfortunately, I was more intriqued that Roberta Draper (from Calaban's War) was the main characters Aunt and was staying with the family than I was with the main character (David). And ultimately, David was involved in things I didn't like. In the end, the story did resolve itself nicely, which I enjoyed. It was well written and did give us some ...more
Richard
Oct 28, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-reads_2014
This is a short novella set between books 2 and 3 of the expanse series. It follows David Draper, nephew of Bobbie Draper from book 2. David is a promising you chemist who gets caught up with some questionable people, and finds himself trying for free a young woman from Hutch (the bad guy in this story).
There is nothing ground breaking here, which I think is what the author intended. I think the slice of life we are seeing on Mars is essentially the same that we see on Earth. The two cultures a
Molybdenum
Dec 10, 2012 Molybdenum rated it really liked it
This is the best the Expanse series has done so far. The characterization of David in this book is so real. It is such a teenager thing to overvalue the power you have in certain situations, particularly when you are a phenom like David is. The thoughts he has are exactly what a teenager would think in certain situations, yet he still is able to have a certain amount of uniqueness to him.

Also, the way it deftly inserts into the background the feelings that have generated on Mars about the events
Zoltán Gecse
Oct 30, 2012 Zoltán Gecse rated it liked it
I rated to 3, because this short fiction didn't meet my expectation. I must admit it wasn't bad, but a little bit too short and some part of boring.

Maybe the main intension of this novel was to introduce the life on Mars. The feeling and lifestyle of the inhabitant of the red planet. We could look into the the local underground, the drog business and slavery.

Unfortunatelly something was missing. At some part of the book I lost the interest about the story. Maybe it would be better if I had read
Mitchel Broussard
Apr 02, 2016 Mitchel Broussard rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I love the world of The Expanse. Any excuse to go back in, even if it's an 85 page novella like Gods of Risk, is more than enough for me. But more so even than Drive (which is probably my favorite) and The Butcher of Anderson Station, Gods of Risk is a clever, sweet, and occasionally sad street-level look at the apocalyptic, large-scale shenanigans that are going on in the 600+ page novels that it's sandwiched between.
poiboy
May 27, 2016 poiboy rated it really liked it
Another well-written novella. But as with The Butcher of Anderson Station, I was hoping for more. Namely, this would have been better (5 stars rather than 4) if it had focused on Bobbie. The story was good though, especially her parts in it, but I just feel readers want more about Bobbie's aftermath from Caliban's War.
Ric
Aug 11, 2014 Ric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So there. All done. Short and sweet. This YA yarn was more interesting for its additions to the back story of the Expanse, particularly on Martian culture, than for the honey-drenched tale of young love (or infatuation). Gritty and folksy as the rest of the series.
Casey Hampton
Diehard fans will most likely suck this up through a straw because it's more story, not much, but a little. I can't say that having read this I feel more clued in to the overall scope of the storyline, but it does provide a small drop of background.
Nathaniel
Dec 04, 2016 Nathaniel rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is a novella in one of my favorite on-going sci-fi series, The Expanse. It's pretty rare that I like a series well enough to dig into the short-fiction add-ons. (I can't think of another series I've done that for other than buying Jim Butcher's Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files and even the George R.R. Martin-edited Dangerous Women anthology to make sure I didn't miss any of the Dresden Files tie-ins) I'm really glad I did in this case.

First, the books in The Expanse are worth the e
  • Edge of Infinity
  • The Dog King (The Human Division, #7)
  • Deep Navigation
  • Night's Slow Poison (Imperial Radch, #0.5)
  • Artefact (Lazarus War, #1)
  • The Causal Angel (Jean le Flambeur, #3)
  • Renegade (The Spiral Wars, #1)
  • Lucky Thirteen (Frontlines, #2.1)

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (Expanse, #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (Expanse, #7)
  • Untitled (Expanse, #8)