Start by marking “The Year of Luminous Love (The Year, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Year of Luminous Love (The Year, #1)

The Year of Luminous Love (The Year #1)

The rolling hills of Tennessee and the picturesque towns of Tuscany provide stunning backdrops for this sweeping contemporary saga, which introduces three devoted best friends facing the challenges of life after high school.

Ciana loves her family's land and the farm they've kept for generations, but it has fallen to her to keep the farm in working order. When she meets a h
Published May 14th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Jessica
Apr 29, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-fiction
This book is by Lurlene McDaniel. It is called "The Year of Luminous Love." I don't think I need to tell you that this is not a fine literary achievement.

Bad Things: The dialogue is awful. Each character has a hyper-dramatic back story - cancer, abusive relationships, cutting, family troubles - and there are parents with mental illness and drinking problems and then parents that are dead. The book's cast is populated by our three female MCs, their family members, and the beautiful men that appe
Adrienne Amborski
Apr 08, 2013 Adrienne Amborski rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-titles
Well-known teen author, Lurlene McDaniel introduces three friends who each have obstacles to face and dilemmas to solve. The Year of Luminous Love begins a new series introducing Ciana, Arie, and Eden, who are freshly graduated from high school. Arie and Ciana plan to attend college in the fall while Eden is struggling with her prospects as the girlfriend of a high rolling drug dealer. Ciana has inherited the family farm and must decide the fate of the land she now owns in part with her alcoholi ...more
Skandia
May 14, 2014 Skandia rated it it was amazing
Arie, Ciana and Eden - three lifelong friends, three girls fresh out of high school in small town near Nashville, Tennessee. Three girls from very different backgrounds, with different dreams and everyday problems.
Arie fighting with a fatal disease, Ciana is left alone tending the family farm and indifferent mother, Eden struggling to find a way out of poisonous relationship and dealing with bipolar mother. Their friendship is their strength and way to enjoy life, be young and happy for as long
Jessica
May 10, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I was over the moon excited to read this book. Not only is the cover gorgeous and it was described as an Eat Pray Love for teens, but I am also a huge fan of Lurlene McDaniel. So I had huge expectations that this one would be a super awesome read, but it was just too unrealistic for my taste.

Arie, Eden, and Ciana are best friends that have recently graduated from high school and they've all got some pretty big problems. Arie is fighting cancer, Eden is dealing with a bipolar mom and a possessiv
Brittany Durrant
Sep 04, 2013 Brittany Durrant rated it liked it
Shelves: already-red
I thought “The Year of Luminous Love” was a good book because I liked how it was written, and how it was written in more than one person’s point of view. There are three main characters: Ciana, Arie, and Eden. They all have battles of their own but they help each other through it. Ciana gets a large sum of money and with that money she was able to give her and her friends the trip of a lifetime.

The book is told in three points of view: Ciana,Arie, and Eden.
Ciana cares for her family a lot espe
Heidi
Nov 11, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya, read-2013
Lurlene McDaniel continues writing about relationships, loss, and grief but this time she begins a new series aimed at older readers than with her previous teen novels. The three protagonists have graduated from high school and are spending their last summer together before going out into the world. Each girl has dark issues going on in her life and must rely on the friendship of the other two to help her get through the issue. Because of the age of the young ladies, there is mature content; whi ...more
Carrie Bishop
Jun 04, 2013 Carrie Bishop rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book in 2 days and am anxiously awaiting the sequel, The Year of Chasing Dreams. As with all McDaniels' books, it is dramatic and it made me cry! You'll enjoy a story about friendship, love, courage, grief and loss, and searching for identity. I highly recommend it!
Laura's Book Addiction
Eat Pray Love for teens. Sounds good =)
Crystal (Kris)
May 19, 2013 Crystal (Kris) rated it really liked it
I'm always up for a good Western. If not for the setting, I may not have picked up this novel because of the heavy content, and also because I tend not to pick up novels that advertise dystopic relationships and love at first sight. I'm glad that I gave it a chance because I ended up really liking this novel.

I'm also not typically fond of multiple perspectives. However, it really worked for this novel. Ciana, Eden, and Arie all have something to add to the story. Seeing the world from each of th
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
Love. That is the theme of this book and it is explored in so many ways. It's neat to see the many ways that love can be dysfunctional through the families that hurt one another, and then the sharp contrast of another family who tragedy pulls them together instead of apart and they are close. It also shows the extreme value of friendship and the love it offers.
As usual, Lurlene McDaniel hits the hard and emotional issues, and deals with them with elegance but still in a realistic and easy to
Kellyflower
Here's how you know where this book is headed, some of the other title's by this author: Telling Christina Goodbye, Six Months to Live, Don't Die, My Love... you see it right?
in the back of the book the author explains why she always writes books like this. (Her son was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. She wanted to write "inspirational novels") By those titles I don't see those being anything but depressing.
Anywho,
Here's what I don't get, How can the dialogue be so bad in the first half of the
Marsha
This novel deals with issues that draw it perilously close to being a movie from the Lifetime channel: problems maintaining the land of ancestors, fatal disease, abusive boyfriends and romantic complications. What redeems it is the quality of the writing which creates characters both unforgettable and recognizably human.

The trio of female friends is what forms the core of this book, all of them different and all endearing or exasperating in their own way. All three of them possess their own sha
Christina Santo
I thought this book was a little too drawn out. It was good though. The characters were not perfect at all, but there were lots of them. It was kind of confusing. I keep forgetting whose mother was whose. The the main characters all had such cool names. I'm sad that Arie died, but had hoped Tony would die. I don't get why Eden's mom left and left herself in Eden's care. I'm happy that Ciana's family kept the farm. Holy poop. I just realized that three people died in their whole book. Harsh... I ...more
Christina Taylor
Nov 09, 2013 Christina Taylor rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
In an overt attempt to inspire readers, the story unfolds as three young women plan their post-secondary-education lives while dealing with immediate obstacles and use the many types of love (i.e. romantic, familial, platonic, etc.) as their coping strategies. Because this novel is heavily laced with every possible tear-jerking scenario – three plucky heroines who overcome what seem to be insurmountable odds, a protagonist who is dying of cancer, a negligent mother, an ill parent, forbidden love ...more
Erin
May 03, 2014 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: booklinx
I can easily say this one wasn't my favorite. The quickly alternating view points of the three main characters left me wanting more from each one. It felt like McDaniel was trying to tackle so many different situations young girls may go up against in one novel. I think if she'd just focused on one and went into more detail I may have liked this better. But when one girl is recovering from cancer, another in a controlling and abusive relationship and the third barely hanging on to the property t ...more
Martha Farley
Aug 08, 2013 Martha Farley rated it really liked it
I read Year of Luminous Love this summer. I really enjoyed the story being situated in a small rural community of Tennessee, my home state. But I was inthralled with the trip to Italy and all the adventure at a winery and the many places I have always known of , but never seen. This is a good long read , with plenty of surprises.
I have read several of Lurlene McDaniels books for Young Adults, but this book is not for your 12 year olds. She has entered a new market. There is more spice and matur
Emalee
Jun 25, 2014 Emalee rated it liked it
I read many Lurlene McDaniel books as a teen. Most of her books have a teen diagnosed with cancer, most often dying in the end. This book was different from those books. I read in the Author's Note that this is the first book in a series. If I'm honest, I'd have to say that I'd like to keep reading this series.

This book follows three young women at the age of nineteen. They each have their own baggage, and yes, one is in remission from a cancer diagnosis. Through this book, you follow their live
Vetta Webb
Nov 26, 2013 Vetta Webb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow
I just finished this book last night. It was classic Lurlene! I loved it. It had the ups and downs of each persons life. You have to be a lover of L. McDaniel to appreciate the type of books she writes. In this book I followed Arie, Cinna and Eden through personal life issues from falling on love with an so called untouchable for Cinna to Eden being scared in her own skin due to her Drug lord boyfriend and Poor Arie Loving a man that truly did not love her, he cared but not LOVE. I can not wiat ...more
Carly
Oct 19, 2013 Carly rated it it was ok
First off, really don't like the title. Second, I saw tons of books by this author on the shelf at the library, so I thought I'd try one. It was just okay. The three main characters of this book really have some baggage. Sheesh! I'm interested enough in a couple of the characters to see what could possibly happen to them in the future, so I'll try the next book when it comes out, but this really wasn't my favorite read.
Jun 08, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-reads
I couldn't put this book down. If you happen to be a McDaniel Avid Reader this book is among her best work. The fact that every character was dealing with issues made it more realistic to real life. I got to the end of the book, and dammit it was a cliff hanger ad I honestly don't think I could have handled not knowing if another was to follow...and then Chapter 1 of the book to follow up was in the back. Thank you Lurlene!!!!
Derisha
May 21, 2014 Derisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-pines
Love Arie. Love Eden. Love Ciana. I hope one day I can have a friendship as strong and beautiful as theirs. The Australian, the Country, and the Italian boy/man are a nice touch ;) But if I'm being honest I would love to see more of Garret, I really hope he's in the sequel more than he was in the first! When I first started reading this book i thought it was "okay" but part II won me over. I think anyone would enjoy this read, very nice book to read while relaxing.
K.Butler
Jun 21, 2013 K.Butler rated it liked it
I stayed up REALLY late finishing this book because I wanted to see how everything got resolved. Imagine my surprise when the book just ended and I realized I was actually reading the first in a series! Frustration! I'm ready for the second book now! I'm also ready for people to write stand alone books again.
May 28, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
I feel like this book would have been better off as just one point of view. There was too much switching between characters, that every time I read a name I had to remember who was who and look at the back to see which was was in the abusive relationship, had cancer or losing their farm.

However, I did enjoy the concept and the plot. Never a fan of love triangles, but I enjoyed the book.
Brittany
Oct 21, 2013 Brittany rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen, not-finished
I just loved these perfectly cheesy books by McDaniel as a kid and was so excited to step back into one.... but I just couldn't do it. The plot is just too predictable and the writing is so dated. The rush of nostalgia was fun for a bit, but now it's time to move on.
Janet
Jul 17, 2014 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Typical McDaniel tear jerker soap opera but with appeal for older teens. Predictable--but sometimes it's fun to read a book that you normally wouldn't read. Haven't read her in years; rarely read romance; but kind of an interesting book to read on a rainy day "off."
Charity Deback
Nov 18, 2013 Charity Deback rated it it was amazing
As always loved this book by Lurlene McDaniel. I had read and re-read her books since I was in middle school. They are some of the very few that I can read more than one time. Now just to wait till the next in the series comes out which of course is going to take to long in my way of thinking.
Lisa
May 11, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Perfect, absolutely perfect. I normally do not read many books like this, but this one is well worth the read. I loved the characters, they felt so real. Soooooooooooo good. I'm really looking forward to her next one in this series. I hope it comes soon!!!
Lindsay
Jun 03, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, favorites
Loved it!
It was a nice change to read about characters that were older this time around. I felt it easier to connect with now that I'm 23.
Overall, Lurlene McDaniel hasn't failed in captivating me yet.
I'm anxious for the sequel, "The Year of Chasing Dreams".
Kelsie
Aug 12, 2013 Kelsie rated it really liked it
Fantastic book. Couldn't put this down. It was heart breaking and motivating all in one. Lurlene does it again with this fantastic novel!
Mark
  • Jump Cut (Seven, #3)
  • The Language Inside
  • Manicpixiedreamgirl
  • Suddenly
  • Devil's Pass (Seven, #6)
  • Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl
  • Happy Endings Are All Alike
  • Pieces of Me
  • Baygirl
  • Ryan White: My Own Story
  • The Encyclopedia of Me
  • The File on Angelyn Stark
  • DJ Rising
  • The Book of Beasts (Hollow Earth, #3)
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...

The Year (2 books)
  • The Year of Chasing Dreams (The Year, #2)