Start by marking “Sleeping Coconuts” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Coconuts

Sleeping Coconuts

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Peter looked up and saw the first of three consecutive waves, each over thirty feet high, throwing up a huge cloud of mist as it enveloped a friend’s house and threw it into the lagoon like a piece of driftwood. He then turned toward his own neighborhood in time to witness the massive wave breaking, completely submerging houses, tall coconut trees, everything. As it rushed ...more
Published August 15th 2012 by Wycliffe Bible Translators

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Coconuts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Coconuts

Katelyn Irons
While a family of translators is on sabbatical in the states, a tsunami consisting of three gigantic waves hits the village they called home. With the devastation leaving the town flattened and those left alive exposed to the elements, the Nystroms fly back to survey the damage and do what they can to help. This book details everything that happened and how God used the destruction to bring the people of the Apop village in Papua New Guinea closer to him.

Whereas the writing is not excellent, a
The other John
In one sense, this book is a standard missionary tale, the story of John & Bonnie Nystrom, who came to the Arop people in Papua New Guinea to translate the Bible into the Arop's heart language. In another sense, the Nystrom's are supporting characters in the story of the Arop translators, who translated the Bible into their own heart language. regardless of who gets top billing, the central moment of the tale is the tsunami of 1998. The tsunami devastated the Arop village, along with other c ...more
Joella
Great story about Bible translation and how a major disaster affected a village in rural Papua New Guinea. Starts to get a little technical toward the end while discussing revolutions in Bible translation, but still a very interesting read.
Steve Miller
I am also a missionary with Wycliffe Bible Translators have attended some of those computer conferences he mentions, and have talked with John Nystrom personally. For that reason, I'm not giving a rating on this book.

Overall, I found the book informative about how the multilanguage projects developed in Papua New Guinea. It's a good read for anyone who wants to know more about Wycliffe and missions in general.
Kendra
The authors provided way more information than I really wanted to know about the process of language translation. How God worked after the tsunami in the lives of the Wycliffe workers and the people in New Guinea was the heart of the story. The authors could have summarized the details of translation for the average reader so the significant parts of the story could shine.
Kenny Grindall
The author is a Christian missionary first, professional linguist / translator second, and book author third (at least). So long as we keep this in mind, the book is an excellently well-told firsthand account of events and perspectives related to Nystrom's work and faith. I try to always keep an extra copy or two of this one handy to give to friends and folks I meet.
Elizabeth
Excellent missionary book about Wycliffe work in PNG. I was fascinated and loved the book. Excellent not only about the work but also their own private lives, about the tsunami and the effect on the work. It was just so interesting....i highly recommend this book. Loved it. I so would love to do that kind of work too.
Becky
I loved this book by a Wycliffe couple who work in Papua New Guinea. They were able to use technology to significantly speed up the work of Bible translation. It sure makes me appreciate how blessed we are to have so many versions of the Bible in English so that we can truly hear God speak to us in our mother tongue.
Jennifer Zartman
I read into the night and had to force myself to put the book down and go to sleep. This is the best book I've read in quite a while. It's gripping, challenging, and uplifting, and satisfied me like a good solid meal when I'm hungry.
Rachel Holtzman
Loved the Nystrom's account of the life of a Bible translator...I learned so much about the West Aitape people and the awesome power of God.
Christine
It's amazing to how God takes a tragedy and turns it into a positive.
Vw
Vw marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Mikaela Krampotich
Mikaela Krampotich is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Matthew Lee
Matthew Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Katrina Koehler
Katrina Koehler marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Debbie
Debbie is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Amanda Funnell
Amanda Funnell marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
William Bledsoe
William Bledsoe marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014