Start by marking “The Wayward Moon” as Want to Read:
The Wayward Moon

The Wayward Moon

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"Set in the year 854, in a town called Sura (in modern day Iraq), Rahel, a 17-year-old Jewish girl, is handed an incredible burden. Instead of preparing to meet her fiancé for the first time, she will have to flee, leaving behind her intended, her home, possessions, and her identity. An enemy of her father has burst into her house and killed her father. Rahel has had to ki ...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Yotzeret Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Wayward Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wayward Moon

Kathryn Jacobi
Janice Weizman's historical novel about Rahel, A Jewish girl fighting for her life and her integrity in ancient Babylonia, is a gem. The care Weizman has taken in her research of the period sweeps the reader along with Rahel on her often frightening, yet inspiriting journey of survival and self-discovery. The characters, particularly Rahel herself, are real and full of emotion, yet this dramatic story never slips into melodrama. I recommend The Wayward Moon highly to anyone who likes historical ...more
Janice Gaines
The book utterly surprised me. We here in Netanya, Israel, heard Janice Weizman at a panel of English writers in Israel, and after her presentation several of us purchased the book, not knowing anything about Mrs. Weizman. Four of us read the book at the same time, comparing notes, and we all loved it!!We felt we had found a real treasure in a historical novel that brought so much light to an era we knew nothing about. We are looking forward to Janice Weizman's next book and in the meantime, we ...more
Ellen
I'm about halfway through this book, and I'm mad for it. I love the well told story, the beautiful prose and the sense of walking through history along with the protagonist. Not since Kristen Wolf's "The Way" has a book set in the historical middle east resonated with me so very much.
Karen
A rich, gorgeous book. The period details are phenomenal, but the greatest strength of this novel, which is structured as a traditional coming-of-age story, is in showing how for young girls in certain societies, "coming of age" is ultimately a tragic outcome.
Waheed Rabbani
In 894 AD in Buqei’a, a Jewish village in a remote corner of Galilee, the children of “a humble woman,” Rahel Yar, discover a hidden scroll after her funeral. It’s her memoir written in Syriac, the Christians’ language. While her sons initially want to burn it, they decide to read her heartbreaking life story.

Rahel is born in a magnificent city, Sura, south of Baghdad, during the Golden Age of Islam. Her widower father, an erudite physician, waits for Rahel to turn seventeen before finding a gro
Sheyna Galyan
I've read this book at least a dozen times, seen it go through many incarnations, and I'm still captivated by the story. Absolutely a must-read!
Joe
Rahel, a 17-year-old Jewish girl living in the ninth century in Sura, in what was then Babylonia (Bavel), is about to be happily married off to a prominent scholar. But suddenly everything changes when her father, a popular physician, becomes the enemy of a powerful antisemite Abu Said.

And so begins The Wayward Moon (Yotzeret Publishing), the debut novel by Janice Weizman, a Toronto-born writer who now lives in Israel.

When Said kills her father, Rahel, whose mother died in childbirth, is forced
Hope
Loved the idea of how this book plays out, which I won't give away specifics about, except to say that when you think you know someone it might not be the whole truth of her life and experiences.

This follows the story of a Jewish girl in 854 Bagdad and includes Rahel's pondering differences between what she believes about her faith compared to what she finds muslims and christians believe as she survives the adventures of her life which play out following a murder. AND gives HER a view of what t
Judith
Year 800s in the Euphrates basin -- early Islam, Jewish medicine, and a girl who cross dresses. Rather teachable for the comparative religion aspect of things (she lives in a monastery, reads Antigone in greek) but also hokey and romance-y. Same vein as Maggie Anton's Rav Hisda's Daughter.
Yosef Gotlieb
In her depiction of the life of a young, ninth century Jewish woman attempting to navigate the perils of the religiously and communally fractious Middle East of that time, Janice Weizman succeeds in richly describing a period and an individual. Rahel's solitary journey speaks to timeless issues: claiming one's place as an individual, as a woman and as a member of a vulnerable minority under harsh circumstances and uncompromising social strictures. The importance of learning to trust and be true ...more
Shira Reiss
Fabulous book! Couldn't put it down! I love historical novels that allow the reader to enter an ancient world filled with sites and sounds, traditions and customs that I did not know about. The characters were engaging. Beautiful descriptive language.
Sonia
Omg a other amazing read I loved the story and Characters and it was a really good historical fiction book and the story is set in the golden age of Islam and there was also loads of action in the story but I really enjoyed it AMAZING BOOK :)
Joanna
The Wayward Moon is a wonderful, racy, thoughtful book set in ninth century Babylonia. Centered around a young woman who is forced to battle the society that she lives in, Janice Weizman's measured prose is a pleasure to read.
Cherie
It was a very interesting book set in a time frame I'm not very familiar with. I would recommend it to people who enjoy historical fiction.
Deb
It was one of the best books I have read in awhile. I didn't want it to end.
Vanessa Ehrlich
Jul 25, 2013 Vanessa Ehrlich rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Vanessa by: Rachel Kamin
Shelves: jewish
Great for a book group, I think there will be a lot to discuss.
Judih Weinstein Haggai
Wonderful story. Should be made into a movie
Ann Cooper
Reading this book and loving it!
Anne
Loved it!!!
Catgirl (in Perth)
Catgirl (in Perth) marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Amos Vos
Amos Vos marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Eve
Eve marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
susi
susi marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Deborah Bienstock
Deborah Bienstock marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Alisha
Alisha marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
  • The First Mrs. Rochester and Her Husband
  • World's Collider: A Shared-World Anthology
  • Benjamin: The Road to Capernaum
  • Cupid and the King of Muck
  • How Blended are Dust and Fire (Purgatory, #0)
  • Breaking Down is Waking Up: The Connexion Between Psychological Distress and Spiritual Awekening
  • Brother's Fury (Bleeding Land Trilogy #2)
  • Lost Decency, the Untold Afghan Story
  • The Gilded Fan
  • Breaking Bones and the List of Imaginary Facts
  • The effects of childhood trauma on adult perception and worldview
  • Heidegger Stairwell
  • The Sacred History: How Angels, Mystics and Higher Intelligence Made Our World
  • Framed: A Historical Novel about the Revolt of the Luddites