Start by marking “The Wayward Moon” as Want to Read:
The Wayward Moon

The Wayward Moon

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
"Set in the year 854, in a town called Sura (in modern day Iraq), Rahel, a 17-year-old Jewish girl, is handed an incredible burden. Instead of preparing to meet her fiancé for the first time, she will have to flee, leaving behind her intended, her home, possessions, and her identity. An enemy of her father has burst into her house and killed her father. Rahel has had to ki ...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Yotzeret Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Wayward Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wayward Moon

Kathryn Jacobi
Oct 29, 2012 Kathryn Jacobi rated it it was amazing
Janice Weizman's historical novel about Rahel, A Jewish girl fighting for her life and her integrity in ancient Babylonia, is a gem. The care Weizman has taken in her research of the period sweeps the reader along with Rahel on her often frightening, yet inspiriting journey of survival and self-discovery. The characters, particularly Rahel herself, are real and full of emotion, yet this dramatic story never slips into melodrama. I recommend The Wayward Moon highly to anyone who likes historical ...more
Janice Gaines
Oct 26, 2013 Janice Gaines rated it it was amazing
The book utterly surprised me. We here in Netanya, Israel, heard Janice Weizman at a panel of English writers in Israel, and after her presentation several of us purchased the book, not knowing anything about Mrs. Weizman. Four of us read the book at the same time, comparing notes, and we all loved it!!We felt we had found a real treasure in a historical novel that brought so much light to an era we knew nothing about. We are looking forward to Janice Weizman's next book and in the meantime, we ...more
Ellen
Sep 27, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing
I'm about halfway through this book, and I'm mad for it. I love the well told story, the beautiful prose and the sense of walking through history along with the protagonist. Not since Kristen Wolf's "The Way" has a book set in the historical middle east resonated with me so very much.
Karen
Jul 22, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
A rich, gorgeous book. The period details are phenomenal, but the greatest strength of this novel, which is structured as a traditional coming-of-age story, is in showing how for young girls in certain societies, "coming of age" is ultimately a tragic outcome.
Waheed Rabbani
Jan 03, 2014 Waheed Rabbani rated it really liked it
In 894 AD in Buqei’a, a Jewish village in a remote corner of Galilee, the children of “a humble woman,” Rahel Yar, discover a hidden scroll after her funeral. It’s her memoir written in Syriac, the Christians’ language. While her sons initially want to burn it, they decide to read her heartbreaking life story.

Rahel is born in a magnificent city, Sura, south of Baghdad, during the Golden Age of Islam. Her widower father, an erudite physician, waits for Rahel to turn seventeen before finding a gro
Sheyna Galyan
Aug 21, 2012 Sheyna Galyan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: published
I've read this book at least a dozen times, seen it go through many incarnations, and I'm still captivated by the story. Absolutely a must-read!
Joe
Dec 04, 2012 Joe rated it it was ok
Rahel, a 17-year-old Jewish girl living in the ninth century in Sura, in what was then Babylonia (Bavel), is about to be happily married off to a prominent scholar. But suddenly everything changes when her father, a popular physician, becomes the enemy of a powerful antisemite Abu Said.

And so begins The Wayward Moon (Yotzeret Publishing), the debut novel by Janice Weizman, a Toronto-born writer who now lives in Israel.

When Said kills her father, Rahel, whose mother died in childbirth, is forced
Hope
Jun 23, 2013 Hope rated it really liked it
Loved the idea of how this book plays out, which I won't give away specifics about, except to say that when you think you know someone it might not be the whole truth of her life and experiences.

This follows the story of a Jewish girl in 854 Bagdad and includes Rahel's pondering differences between what she believes about her faith compared to what she finds muslims and christians believe as she survives the adventures of her life which play out following a murder. AND gives HER a view of what t
Judith
Aug 12, 2014 Judith rated it really liked it
Year 800s in the Euphrates basin -- early Islam, Jewish medicine, and a girl who cross dresses. Rather teachable for the comparative religion aspect of things (she lives in a monastery, reads Antigone in greek) but also hokey and romance-y. Same vein as Maggie Anton's Rav Hisda's Daughter.
Yosef Gotlieb
Nov 17, 2012 Yosef Gotlieb rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
In her depiction of the life of a young, ninth century Jewish woman attempting to navigate the perils of the religiously and communally fractious Middle East of that time, Janice Weizman succeeds in richly describing a period and an individual. Rahel's solitary journey speaks to timeless issues: claiming one's place as an individual, as a woman and as a member of a vulnerable minority under harsh circumstances and uncompromising social strictures. The importance of learning to trust and be true ...more
Shira Reiss
Jul 20, 2013 Shira Reiss rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book! Couldn't put it down! I love historical novels that allow the reader to enter an ancient world filled with sites and sounds, traditions and customs that I did not know about. The characters were engaging. Beautiful descriptive language.
Sonia
May 30, 2013 Sonia rated it it was amazing
Omg a other amazing read I loved the story and Characters and it was a really good historical fiction book and the story is set in the golden age of Islam and there was also loads of action in the story but I really enjoyed it AMAZING BOOK :)
Joanna
Nov 04, 2012 Joanna rated it it was amazing
The Wayward Moon is a wonderful, racy, thoughtful book set in ninth century Babylonia. Centered around a young woman who is forced to battle the society that she lives in, Janice Weizman's measured prose is a pleasure to read.
Cherie
Jan 30, 2013 Cherie rated it liked it
It was a very interesting book set in a time frame I'm not very familiar with. I would recommend it to people who enjoy historical fiction.
Deb
Nov 08, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
It was one of the best books I have read in awhile. I didn't want it to end.
Vanessa Ehrlich
Jul 25, 2013 Vanessa Ehrlich rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vanessa by: Rachel Kamin
Shelves: jewish
Great for a book group, I think there will be a lot to discuss.
Judih Weinstein Haggai
Oct 11, 2013 Judih Weinstein Haggai rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story. Should be made into a movie
Ann Cooper
Reading this book and loving it!
Anne
May 20, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!
Amalia
Amalia rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Miriam Drori
Miriam Drori marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Lineal
Lineal rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Laurel J
Laurel J marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Debbie Rubenstein
Debbie Rubenstein marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Aurora
Aurora marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Benita
Benita marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Daniela Latzl
Daniela Latzl marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Katmac
Katmac marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
  • Miracle
  • Scorpion Soup: A story in a story
  • Living Green: A Turtle's Quest for a Cleaner Planet
  • Stalin's Englishman: The Lives of Guy Burgess
  • How Blended are Dust and Fire (Purgatory, #0)
  • City of Gold (Lost City Chronicles, #2)
  • They Call Me...Montey Greene (Identity Crisis Trilogy, Book #1)
  • Cupid and the King of Muck
  • Rocking Your Role: The 'How To' Guide to Success for Female Breadwinners
  • Lost Decency, the Untold Afghan Story
  • Heidegger Stairwell
  • The effects of childhood trauma on adult perception and worldview
  • God's Child: Unraveling