Silver's Odyssey

Silver's Odyssey

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This a historical fiction novel telling the story of a 1622 Spanish shipwrecked soldier. After being thrown off the Atocha galleon in a hurricane off the Florida Keys,he must survive a 4-yr trek through wilderness Florida enroute back to Spain.

Physical and emotional challenges of the highest order confront him on a COLD MOUNTAIN-south adventure through a world few European...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Authorhouse (first published May 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Silver's Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver's Odyssey

Stanley McShane
Henry C Duggan, III, conjures an arduous 17th century survival battle in this novel of Lieutenant (Alferez) Luis Armador, survivor of the Spanish Atocha galleon shipwrecked off colonial Florida. The Atocha is over-laden with people and silver for the king intended to help in the European religious wars. Alferez Armador is washed overboard during a hurricane and is found ashore and enslaved by the fierce Calusa Indians. His escape begins a four-year odyssey in which he is befriended and aided by...more
M Go
This is a historical novel that I felt was quite accurate in its description of the cities and people of 1622 to 1625 in the New World.
I attempted to follow the Path that Luis travels but even when pulling up detailed maps of 17th Century Florida I was unable to follow his trek.

The ordeals that Louis goes through wore me down over time and I almost stopped reading this book at least 3 times due to the trials and travails that Louis must go through. I did finish this book and the ending went pret...more
Florence Primrose
This story is based on information found after Mel Fisher discovered the silver ship Atocha sunk in Florida waters.

In 1622 Luis Armador sailed from Spain to the new world to pick up silver to return to Spain. While still in Florida waters a hurricane sunk the ship Atocha. Luis had previously been washed overboard and washed up on the sands of Florida. He was at first a slave before escaping and being helped by more peaceful Indios.

This was a very interesting story of what life would have been 35...more
Harley
Highly entertaining and fascinating!
Reading this book was like taking a field trip through the colonial days in Florida and experiencing what it would be like to live in the world of that period.
As my reading progressed, found myself becoming more and more interested in the world politics and economy in those days, along with the day to day lives of civilization in Europe and the New World.
A salute and tip of the hat goes out to Mr. Dugan for all his years of research and labor to make this wo...more
Colleen Ray
This isn't a thriller, or action / adventure novel, so if that's what you're looking for you'll be disappointed; but if you're a history buff, I think you'll find this book enjoyable. It reads somewhat like an official report that an explorer would have sent back to his sponsor, describing his exploits.

Very well written and researched, this is a fascinating account of a shipwreck survivor, and his 4 year journey home.
Judith Schip
This was an enjoyable tale of adventure with good historical reality· Enjoyed the adventure and suspense of the story but do feel like it's similar to other books I e read. It's still a good story and enjoyable. I sold recommend this book to anyone who enjoys adventure and stories based on American and European history of the time. It also has a little romance in the background but our American history. There is some romance but that is not the story. This is a book you can read. Put down and pi...more
Caren
This Historical Fiction is based on information found after Mel Fisher discovered the silver ship, Atocha, sunk in Florida waters. The ordeals that Luis went through made me cringe at times, and I found myself not being able to put this read down for several hours.
D.L. Williams
Having just moved to Florida, I enjoyed this well researched tale of old Florida. I was fascinated with the discovery of the Atocha, it was nice to read Duggan's historical fiction novel.
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
C
C added it
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Willa Johnson
Willa Johnson is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Jeani
Jeani marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Renea
Renea marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Davaonne
Davaonne marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Corrine Howerton
Corrine Howerton marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Dana Trickett
Dana Trickett marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Camille Williamson
Camille Williamson marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Christina M Condy
Christina M Condy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Florida Theme: Kindle $.99 Bargain 4/3--4/4 1 4 Apr 02, 2014 03:56AM
Kindleboards.com: Kindle $.99 Bargain April 3-4 1 3 Apr 02, 2014 03:49AM
American Historic...: Giveaways 10 51 Feb 12, 2014 04:08AM
The Florida Theme: Free Kindle 2/12-13 Historical Fiction 1 2 Feb 11, 2014 02:49AM
History Buffs United: Free Kindle Historical Adventure Florida 1 8 Feb 11, 2014 02:31AM
History Buffs United: How to make book cover appealing ? 5 19 Dec 20, 2013 11:11AM
Indie Book Club: FREE Kindle Giveaway Dec.3-4 2 8 Dec 04, 2013 09:36AM
Albany,Ga,native
Albany High School
UGA grad 1963
Married 47 years to Pat
3 adult children, 5 grandchildren
retired banker
Likes:
canoeing
mountain trout fishing
writing
exercise
vegetarian diet
living 2 hours from Gulf of Mexico
More about Henry C. Duggan III...

“Rivers have what man most respects and longs for in his own life and thought-a capacity for renewal and replenishment, continual energy, creativity,cleansing.
J.M. Kauffman”