Start by marking “Silver's Odyssey” as Want to Read:

Silver's Odyssey

This a historical fiction novel telling the story of a 1622 Spanish shipwrecked soldier. After being thrown off the Atocha galleon in a hurricane off the Florida Keys,he must survive a 4-yr trek through wilderness Florida enroute back to Spain.

Physical and emotional challenges of the highest order confront him on a COLD MOUNTAIN-south adventure through a world few European
Published July 1st 2012 by Authorhouse (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Silver's Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver's Odyssey

Stanley McShane
Mar 06, 2014 Stanley McShane rated it it was amazing
Henry C Duggan, III, conjures an arduous 17th century survival battle in this novel of Lieutenant (Alferez) Luis Armador, survivor of the Spanish Atocha galleon shipwrecked off colonial Florida. The Atocha is over-laden with people and silver for the king intended to help in the European religious wars. Alferez Armador is washed overboard during a hurricane and is found ashore and enslaved by the fierce Calusa Indians. His escape begins a four-year odyssey in which he is befriended and aided by ...more
M Go
Feb 25, 2014 M Go rated it liked it
This is a historical novel that I felt was quite accurate in its description of the cities and people of 1622 to 1625 in the New World.
I attempted to follow the Path that Luis travels but even when pulling up detailed maps of 17th Century Florida I was unable to follow his trek.

The ordeals that Louis goes through wore me down over time and I almost stopped reading this book at least 3 times due to the trials and travails that Louis must go through. I did finish this book and the ending went pret
Dec 21, 2015 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this story!!

This was one of the best fiction books I've read in a while. The account of Alférez Luis Armador's survival of a shipwreck off the coast of Florida in 1622 is refreshingly unique. Although a work of fiction, the setting has been well researched and has a high level of historical accuracy. While there are elements of Luis' four year journey to return to Seville that are a bit unbelievable, overall the author does an excellent job of recounting the various obstacle
Nov 24, 2013 Harley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Highly entertaining and fascinating!
Reading this book was like taking a field trip through the colonial days in Florida and experiencing what it would be like to live in the world of that period.
As my reading progressed, found myself becoming more and more interested in the world politics and economy in those days, along with the day to day lives of civilization in Europe and the New World.
A salute and tip of the hat goes out to Mr. Dugan for all his years of research and labor to make this wo
Florence Primrose
Mar 02, 2014 Florence Primrose rated it really liked it
This story is based on information found after Mel Fisher discovered the silver ship Atocha sunk in Florida waters.

In 1622 Luis Armador sailed from Spain to the new world to pick up silver to return to Spain. While still in Florida waters a hurricane sunk the ship Atocha. Luis had previously been washed overboard and washed up on the sands of Florida. He was at first a slave before escaping and being helped by more peaceful Indios.

This was a very interesting story of what life would have been 35
Colleen Ray
Jan 14, 2014 Colleen Ray rated it it was amazing
This isn't a thriller, or action / adventure novel, so if that's what you're looking for you'll be disappointed; but if you're a history buff, I think you'll find this book enjoyable. It reads somewhat like an official report that an explorer would have sent back to his sponsor, describing his exploits.

Very well written and researched, this is a fascinating account of a shipwreck survivor, and his 4 year journey home.
Mar 26, 2014 Caety rated it it was amazing
This Historical Fiction is based on information found after Mel Fisher discovered the silver ship, Atocha, sunk in Florida waters. The ordeals that Luis went through made me cringe at times, and I found myself not being able to put this read down for several hours.
R Frederick Riddle
Dec 30, 2014 R Frederick Riddle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Read
Shelves: historical

Author: Henry C. Duggan, III

Rating: 4 stars

This ebook has been a very good read and would have gotten a higher rating except for a few items discussed below. The author obviously did the necessary research to write a gripping story drawn from historical facts. I recommend it to you to read.

One of the things that kept the novel from getting a higher rating is the lack of a map. This story takes place largely in Florida (La Florida to the Spanish) but back in the 1600s. Many of the
Matt Kelland
There's a lot to like about this book. As a European immigrant living in Florida, who's also a history nut, and in particular, fascinated by the history of colonization and of tribal peoples, this is absolutely written for someone like me. The story is wonderful: it's a gutsy adventure through Spanish and Native American Florida, and it's packed with historical and anthropological detail. Duggan has done his research on Spanish Florida, and all the different native tribes, and he clearly knows t ...more
Judith Schip
This was an enjoyable tale of adventure with good historical reality· Enjoyed the adventure and suspense of the story but do feel like it's similar to other books I e read. It's still a good story and enjoyable. I sold recommend this book to anyone who enjoys adventure and stories based on American and European history of the time. It also has a little romance in the background but our American history. There is some romance but that is not the story. This is a book you can read. Put down and pi ...more
Mar 12, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend Sara will like this historical fiction story! Luis leaves his betrothed and family in Spain to sail on the ship Atocha in 1622. Unfortunately the ship sinks and Luis is the only survivor. The story tracks his 4-year journey as a slave, his life among the Indios, an alligator attack, and hours upon hours of rowing a boat all to return to his family and love. Well done. (No he does not row a boat home to Spain!)
Feb 21, 2015 MJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story of a young man's struggle to survive the rigors of military duty that took him far away from home in the early 1600s and the grave circumstances that he had to endure in an attempt to make it back home to his loved ones. There are a just a handful of books that I would say this about but I enjoyed it from beginning to end.
kenneth  h.  robinson
Adventure and Peril in 1620

Luis is an officer in the Spanish military who's assigned aboard a ship that's part of Spain's fleet that brings American precious metal back to Spain. This historical fiction is based on facts, and the protagonist and reader learns much. Very Enjoyable!
D.L. Williams
Mar 15, 2014 D.L. Williams rated it liked it
Having just moved to Florida, I enjoyed this well researched tale of old Florida. I was fascinated with the discovery of the Atocha, it was nice to read Duggan's historical fiction novel.
Betsy Georgitis
Betsy Georgitis rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Bill Rafferty
Bill Rafferty rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Linda rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2014
Bill Davis
Bill Davis rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Karen rated it it was ok
May 09, 2014
Rachel Star
Rachel Star rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2014
Deborah Klein
Deborah Klein rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2014
Henry III
May 03, 2015 Henry III rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Mark Wilson
Mark Wilson rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Gwen Goble-Bartzen
Gwen Goble-Bartzen rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Andrew Lorio
Andrew Lorio rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Sheila rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Terri Schroeder
Terri Schroeder rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Georgia Hines
Georgia Hines rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Jim rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Indie Book Collec...: Agents ? 1 11 Jan 21, 2015 12:20PM
Indie Book Collec...: Marketing Questions 3 5 Jan 12, 2015 01:36PM
Indie Book Collec...: HisNovSoc & IndieBrag Reviews? Scribd? 1 9 Dec 16, 2014 05:35PM
History Buffs United: $.99 Kindle Hist Fict Dec. 5-11 1 9 Dec 05, 2014 02:49AM
How to Promote YO...: Facebook Promos 1 11 Nov 06, 2014 06:28AM
How to Promote YO...: anyone ? 11 52 Nov 04, 2014 11:02PM
Goodreads Author ...: bookbub anyone ? 12 96 Oct 25, 2014 07:37AM
  • The Monmouth Summer
  • Bound for the Promise-Land
  • Drifter (The 1929 Series, #4)
  • Scarlet And Gold
  • Pope John XXIII: The Good Pope
  • Pride and Honour: The Battle for Saxony
  • The Cost of the Dream (Gastien, #1)
  • Voyage of Strangers
  • The Young Jaguar (Pre-Aztec Series, #1)
  • Six of One: A Tudor Riff
  • The Savant of Chelsea
  • Angels of Humility
  • Gold Mountain (The Laramie Series, #5)
  • The Year of the Horsetails
  • Apron Strings
  • Slow Boat to Purgatory (Volume One)
  • Dreams of Eli
  • The Reckoning (Jess Williams, #1)
Albany High School
general hisory
Bible study
vegetarian diet
living 2 hours from Gulf of Mexico
More about Henry C. Duggan III...

“Rivers have what man most respects and longs for in his own life and thought-a capacity for renewal and replenishment, continual energy, creativity,cleansing.
J.M. Kauffman”