Start by marking “The Spoils of War (The Damned, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Spoils of War (The Damned, #3)

The Spoils of War (The Damned #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  14 reviews
1993 1st Ed. Del Rey/Ballantine
Published March 16th 1993 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Spoils of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spoils of War

Tomas
What happens when you win a war? What do you do with soldiers acclimated to violence when the rest of your society is not? In his concluding volume of the series, Alan Dean Foster's focus is not on the climactic march to victory over the Amplitur, as you would ordinarily expect to be the case in a trilogy focused on an interstellar war.

It is instead on the problem of re-integrating the veterans of the war - and the "too-primitive" violent humans - into a society that is at best uneasy with them.
Indy Kochte
Warning: spoilers embedded in the review.

Well…it was an okay book, not a bad read, but…there were issues. Note that this is the third book of a series, of which at this writing I have not yet read (much less have found) the first two.

It starts out all nice and good as we are introduced to Lalelelang, a researcher of the bird-like Wais, who are members of a collection of interstellarly connected races called The Weave. Her specialty: humans. Now, for the Weave, combat, violence, etc, is pretty fo
Jack
I finished the series and felt about this book the way I felt about the other two. I keep wishing for better, or for more.

I can really only recommend this series if you're looking for something very different and specifically, where humanity just kicks the snot out of everything else. The scenario is a fun one and I've yet to find anything that explores it better.

But it is lacking. Characters are paper thin and there's a lot of plot twists that come from nowhere. I don't mind a plot twist or t
Mike (the Paladin)
This is still a good read, but we had to come up with a way to tie the story up and I found it a little less than what it might have been. Still, it's enjoyable.

The story here seems almost a little "hurried" to me. he got to the end, he knew what the end was how the plot was going to be tied up and got it down. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book, it's still based on a good idea, a good read and to use the word I used for the the others, "fun". It just slid a bit and as the second wasn't qu
Jonathan
Like the star rating says. It was okay.
Justin Gramm
Good end to a good series. I read them all pretty much back to back, so it was more like one contiguous story than three novels. I'm not sure if that influenced my feelings about it or not.
Matthew
Great scifi series with a twist at every turn.
Serena
My Rating System:

Lindig
Foster's patented multi-species cooperation (or not) plot. And there's the stereotypical "humans are inherently savage" trope. Its an interesting philosophical meditation on how to wage war (or not).
Erica
Finally, I discovered the elusive "Nevan".
Brett
Science Fiction
colleen
read 10.07.05
Kerri Wuu Mann
Kerri Wuu Mann marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Yiana
Yiana marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Chaneilfhios
Chaneilfhios marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Christoph
Christoph marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Rachel Vorster
Rachel Vorster marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Dawn
Dawn added it
Jul 05, 2015
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • The Gods of Mars / The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #2-3)
  • Young Bleys (Childe Cycle, #10)
  • Star Light (Mesklin, #3)
  • Greyhaven
  • TNT: Telzey Amberdon & Trigger Argee Together
  • Man-Kzin Wars 3 (Man-Kzin Wars, #3)
  • A Knight of Ghosts and Shadows
  • The Past Through Tomorrow: Vol. 2
  • Death-Bringer (Amtrak Wars, #5)
  • The Best of Philip K. Dick
  • Captain
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

The Damned (3 books)
  • A Call to Arms (The Damned, #1)
  • The False Mirror (The Damned, #2)
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) Aliens