Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance

The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (Mammoth Romances)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,920 ratings  ·  185 reviews
Fall in love with someone out of this world.
If love transcends all boundaries then paranormal romance is its logical conclusion. From the biggest names around, here are 24 tales to take you to another time and place.

Let Alyssa Day, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Cheyenne McCray, Jeaniene Frost, Ilona Andrews, Kelley Armstrong, Maria V. Snyder, Carrie Vaughn, Allyson James Marland and o
Published February 12th 2009 by Constable & Robinson

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance

Grace Tjan
Paranormal Relationship Q&A

Q: My superhero hubby has a habit of throwing expensive SUVs at villains when fighting them on the street. We’re getting sued left and right for restitution by the owners. What could I do to change this bad habit?

Super-annoyed in Texas

A: Tell your hubby to look for cheaper alternatives. If he must throw something big at a super villain, he could use street lamps instead. They’re pretty effective, and the best thing of all --- they’re owned by the government! The g
Cathy (cathepsut)
Very good, 5 stars:
Paranormal Romance Blues, Kelley Armstrong (vampires, demons) - FUN!
John Doe, Anna Windsor (angels) - I don't like angels, but this was a positive surprise.
The Tuesday Enchantress, Mary Jo Putney (guardians) - very entertaining, good sense of humour, I might get something longer by this author.
Trinity Blue, Eve Silver (demons, sorceres) - fun! I want to read more of this.
Night Vision, Maria V. Snyder (light bender): fun as well. The heroine is blind in daylight and has absolut
Julie (jjmachshev)
Twenty-four, that's right. Count 'em, twenty-four short stories from some of the big names in current paranormal romance...all in one fairly heavy trade paperback! "The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance" is a mammoth undertaking edited by Trisha Telep with stories by Carrie Vaughn, Cheyenne McCray, Kelley Armstrong, Anna Windsor, Anya Bast, Jean Johnson, CT Adams & Cathy Clamp, Holly Lisle, Mary Jo Putney, Eve Silver, Ilona Andrews, Maria V Snyder, Catherine Mulvany, Jeaniene Frost, Lori De ...more
I bought this book because it was on offer for 99p and I was under the impression I would like it. When I think of paranormal romance I think Margit Sandemo and that one summer where I had nothing else to do so I read all 47 volumes of her Legend of the Ice People. It was one hell of a summer.
Then I realized paranormal was big these days and there was pretty much an unlimited supply of Sandemo-like things. I was very excited, until, of course, I started reading those books.

Sandemo wrote more tha
Blodeuedd Finland
Ok how to review this, I will not talk about all those stories. So a few short lines about those I really enjoyed.

The Temptation of Robin Green by Carrie Vaughn
I did not like it at first, which is bad since it's so short, but then I liked it. A story about a zoo with paranormal beings, and it was the selkie that got me. One hot hot scene too.

Light through Fog by Holly Lisle
This was a sort of ghost story but at the same time not. And it was heartbreaking, a wonderful little story she brought to l
Nothing to write home about, that's for sure. There were a couple of good stories in here, but were unfortunate to share space with other not-so-good stories, and so seemed rushed and not long enough. The potential was there, though.

The Good:
Paranormal Romance Blues by Kelley Armstrong (good humor)
Taking Hold by Anya Bast (wanted to read more about Mac and Lily)
How To Date a Superhero Jean Johnson (it promised, but didn't show the "big scene")
Trinity Blue by Eve Silver (again, wanted to read mor
Monty Cupcake
I read these all randomly and mainly only got the book for the Ilona Andrews story, which was awesome. I think it was also the longest story in the collection.

1. At Second Bite: 3 stars
6. Paranormal Romance Blues: 3 - humorous
7. Succubus Seduction: 3
8. Daniel: 1-2
9. John Doe: 4 - badass chicks
10. The Temptation of Robin Green: 2-3. I liked that it was depressing, but didn't actually like the story.
'Short' on romance, but lots of entertainment with a paranormal twist.

The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance, should really be called the Mammoth Book of Paranormal Stories. If you are a romance purist coming in with the expectation that you are getting a whole slew of romances written by a group of your favorite authors, you might be disappointed. But even though there were only a few stories in this collection that I would actually call `romances', there were quite a lot good stories with par
Cynthia Armistead
I'm extremely surprised by how much I enjoyed this anthology! I picked it up intending to just read the stories by authors I know I like—Kelley Armstrong, Ilona Andrews, Carrie Vaughn, Holly Lisle, Jeaniene Frost, Maria V. Snyder. I had never heard of some of the other authors. A few names I remembered seeing in other anthologies and not enjoying their work.

I did, however, deliberately put myself in a tolerant mindset: this is a book of romance stories. It wouldn't be fair to judge them as anyth
Great variety... not so great quality...

A widesweeping selection of paranormal fables of the romantic persuasion, THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF PARANORMAL ROMANCE, is a tantalizing sampler for fans of both the paranormal romance and urban fantasy genres. Filled with short stories from some of the biggest names—and some little known—in paranormal romance and urban fantasy I highly recommend this for other readers who are seeking a taste of new authors or to try something from an old favorite. To keep thing
Whenever I travel I like to take plenty of reading material along for long waits in the airport or for other boring moments. However, for my trip to Arizona last week I neglected to bring more than two books. Thus I found myself browsing the shelfs at B&N desperate for something light and fun to read. That's where I found this book and I'm glad I did. It has 24 short romantic stories and not only didi I find them all enjoyable, I also discovered three new authors to add to my TBR shelf.
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
I got this strictly for the Ilona Andrews short story, and it was FANTASTIC. It's a stand alone--nothing to do with either The Edge, or Kate Daniels (or Kinsman if you're a true, die-hard Ilona Andrews fan), and it was amazing in a way that short stories and novellas seldom are. It always surprises me (though I should be used to it by now) how in a few short pages, the Andrews can create a tangible world with characters you care about.

Love, love, LOVED it.
Dina James
This book features my second foray into the world of the Destrati. There's more Kyle.... Pick it up and let me know what you think! Available 26Feb2009 in the UK and April 13, 2009 in the US!
Clare O'Beara
I enjoyed most of the stories in this book and I'm pleased to have read it. Many of the authors are producing novellas in paranormal romance or urban fantasy, so they are skilled in this area already, but you don't need to have read their books to get into their short stories.

I particularly enjoyed: a tale about a lighthouse keeper and his wife, who contend with a murderous sea god; a stone gargoyle who is wonderfully well brought to life for us; a werewolf lady who needs to catch a serial kill
Before reading this book I had a nosey at the reviews and recall seeing someone claiming there 'was not enough romance' - well, for the first few there seems to be more smut with paranormal thrown in as a setting and little else. Don't get me wrong, the paranormal element was great, I just wish the author had focused more on that and then had romance as a theme and not the other way around.

Once I got past these few 'oh my god, take me now' stories as I like to call them, I found myself in a worl
Sarah Marie
The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance edited by Trisha Telep

I’m doing this review differently. I’ll list the title, author, my rating on the story, what it’s about, and thoughts (if I have particular ones). This is a collection of 24 short stories that focus on the paranormal. Let’s move on to the first story.

The Temptation of Robin Green by Carrie Vaughn

3 stars

This story focused mainly on selkies. The story was interesting and I think I could’ve loved it if it hadn’t been lacking in c

Unlike with The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance I've read almost all of the authors present in this collection to some degree. Obviously some of them more (Maria V. Snyder, Rachel Caine, Mary Jo Putney and Ilona Andrews), but I've read at least one story per an author before now.

Even though I knew I would enjoy the authors more in this collection then the other, I was still hesitant to think I would enjoy the collection more. I read a lot of paranormal--for fun and review--and I've been dis
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
A solid collection of original 24 short stories that were easy to read and great examples of the genre. I think this would be an ideal introduction to the genre for someone interested, and a great read for fans.
There is a nice variety - vampires, shifters, ghosts, and even a gargoyle and only a few that had links to the authors series eg Blue Crush by Raechel Caine (Weather Warden series) and The Wager by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Lords of Avalon series).
I have read something from most of the authors s
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
They weren't kidding when they said Mammoth Book. SO many authors I like are in this book. I find it interesting they are all females.

The one that really stuck out for me was Holly Lisle's Light Through Fog. This one was the one that moved me most. I could say it upset me the most because I was angry at the woman's parents. It also moved me most with their dedication of love to transcend anything else.

I do like Ilona Andrew's "Grace of Small Magics". I've read it before already so perhaps this
waited a long time on my Library's hold list for this book...and #1 its not mammoth
#2 stories were way too short
& #3 not the quality you would expect from these authors
#$ was just disappointed in it period
Different than her other books...about shifter werewolves. Good - would like to read more!
I love reading anthologies and seeing what else my favorite authors are doing between books so I checked this out from my library thinking that I had a guaranteed good read but that definitely was not the case. A lot of the stories were underdeveloped and they tended to telegraph their endings from the beginning. Plus there were stories in there that just didn't seem to belong and they broke up the natural flow of the stories. So all in all I would really not recommend this book but there are ma ...more
24 short stories and novellas by 24 talented authors.

1)‘The Temptation of Robin Green’ by Carrie Vaughan. Kitty Norville 0.4. 3 stars. An inside look at the nighttime events at the top secret military Center for the Study of Para-natural Biology. A unicorn, vampire, werewolf, mermaid, selkie and more.

2)‘Succubus Seduction’ by Cheyenne McCray. 1 star. An incubus and a succubus become human. Nothing really interesting or exciting.

3)“Paranormal Romance Blues’ by Kelly Armstrong. Other-world Sto
So, originally I was going to read this whole book because I've found authors I've liked while reading these anthology things before. In fact, I am pretty sure I discovered Jeaniene Frost, who is one of my favorite paranormal authors, while reading Death's Excellent Vacation. I first skipped to grace of small magics - i liked that one. usually witches are the worst characters but the author's name sounded familiar so i gave it a shot and found this book very imaginative and entertaining. i may h ...more
Vaughan, Carrie - Kitty Norville 00.4 the Temptation of Robin Green ***
Silver, Eve - Trinity Blue *****
Andrews, Ilona - Grace of Small Magics *****
James, Dina - Once a Demon ****
Snyder, Maria V - Night V
"The Temptation of Robin Green" by Carrie Vaughan: Interesting setting. Although this is suppose to be a short story but the depth of the story is lacking - 3.5
"Succubus Seduction" by Cheyenne McCray: 4
"Paranormal Romance Blues" by Kelley Armstrong: 4.5
"John Doe" by Anna Windsor: Love this story. The story is amazing. - 5
"Taking Hold" by Anya Bast - 3
"How to Date a Superhero" by Jean Johnson - 3.5
"Daniel" by C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp - 4
"Light Through Fog" by Holly Lisle: A touching love story
Where should I begin? I will individually rate the 24 stories and the final rate of this book will be the average of those rates. Let's get it started then!
(view spoiler)
Amazing variety but somewhat lacking in quality.

I am not going to do a review of every story in this book or even list them for that matter, just too many. Just know that most stories are around 20 pages long, although some of the more popular authors stories could be anywhere up to 40 pages.

Most of the stories were just meh to ok though thankfully there were a few fantastic additions like Ilona Andrews 'Grace of Small Magics' and Jeaniene Frost's 'Pack'.

Who knows maybe I am just not the right
I originally picked up the anthology because Maria V Snyder is a contributor. I am yet to read anything of hers that I have not loved.

Reflectively, I realised that I have not had much experience reading short stories - and I found that they frustrate me greatly. Although I adore a good romance, I have a great deal of respect for those which are established realistically (and realism is relative to the context of the story), I discovered that the lack of background and setting to these stories ma
I bought this book for the Rachel Caine's Blue Crush, (Pg. 457) a short story about Joanne Baldwin from Rachel's Weather Warden Series. I have currently read a few of the other stories when I am between books and have actually found a few that are quite cute.
The Temptation of Robin Green by Carrie Vaugn, (pg. 1) I found to be a interesting twist to her Kitty series. It doesn't feature Kitty herself but does have Rick. As far as I was able to piece together, this story takes place before Kitty is
Sexy Vampire Satire From Lynda Hilburn 1 7 Aug 09, 2011 02:27PM
  • Four Dukes and a Devil
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #2.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • The Mammoth Book of Hot Romance
  • Haunted by Your Touch  (Doomsday Brethren #3.5, Moon Chasers, #4.5)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea, #3.5; Psy-Changeling, #0.6; Iron Seas, #0.5)
Trisha Telep was the romance and fantasy book buyer at Murder One, a London crime, mystery, and romance bookstore; she's now co-owner of the virtual bookstore and an editor of romance and supernatural anthologies for Mammoth. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, she now lives in London.
More about Trisha Telep...

Mammoth Romances (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2: Love Bites
  • The Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 2
  • The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Special Ops Romance (ACRO, #1.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Scottish Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance: Volumes 1 and 2
The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2: Love Bites