Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance

The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (Mammoth Romances)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  3,162 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
Fall in love with someone out of this world.
If love transcends all boundaries then paranormal romance is its logical conclusion. From the biggest names around, here are 24 tales to take you to another time and place.

Let Alyssa Day, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Cheyenne McCray, Jeaniene Frost, Ilona Andrews, Kelley Armstrong, Maria V. Snyder, Carrie Vaughn, Allyson James Marland and o
Published February 12th 2009 by Constable & Robinson (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance

Grace Tjan
Paranormal Relationship Q&A

Q: My superhero hubby has a habit of throwing expensive SUVs at villains when fighting them on the street. We’re getting sued left and right for restitution by the owners. What could I do to change this bad habit?

Super-annoyed in Texas

A: Tell your hubby to look for cheaper alternatives. If he must throw something big at a super villain, he could use street lamps instead. They’re pretty effective, and the best thing of all --- they’re owned by the government! The g
Cathy (cathepsut)
I finally, finally finished this. Some good, some ok, some not so good. I found some interesting authors. I've had this book on my reading shelf for a long time. I would probably rate several of the stories a star lower now than they actually are, as I have started to rate a bit more conservatively in recent months.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Very good, 5 stars:
Paranormal Romance Blues, Kelley Armstrong (vampires, demons) - FUN!
John Doe, Anna Windsor (angels) - I don't like angels, but this was a positive s
Paige  Bookdragon

This is my favorite anthology book so far and here are the books that I really like:

description

4/5 stars

I wasn't expecting for the story to end that way. I thought it was just the usual PNR story about a biologist (the heroine) and a selkie but I was wrong. This made my heart hurt a little bit and the ending took me by surprise. I might read another Carrie Vaughn book in the future.

Taking Hold by Anya Bast

4/5 stars

I admit I was kinda shocked to read an Anya B
Julie (jjmachshev)
Apr 12, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
Twenty-four, that's right. Count 'em, twenty-four short stories from some of the big names in current paranormal romance...all in one fairly heavy trade paperback! "The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance" is a mammoth undertaking edited by Trisha Telep with stories by Carrie Vaughn, Cheyenne McCray, Kelley Armstrong, Anna Windsor, Anya Bast, Jean Johnson, CT Adams & Cathy Clamp, Holly Lisle, Mary Jo Putney, Eve Silver, Ilona Andrews, Maria V Snyder, Catherine Mulvany, Jeaniene Frost, Lori De ...more
Kinga
Feb 27, 2013 Kinga rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because it was on offer for 99p and I was under the impression I would like it. When I think of paranormal romance I think Margit Sandemo and that one summer where I had nothing else to do so I read all 47 volumes of her Legend of the Ice People. It was one hell of a summer.
Then I realized paranormal was big these days and there was pretty much an unlimited supply of Sandemo-like things. I was very excited, until, of course, I started reading those books.

Sandemo wrote more tha
Blodeuedd Finland
Ok how to review this, I will not talk about all those stories. So a few short lines about those I really enjoyed.

The Temptation of Robin Green by Carrie Vaughn
I did not like it at first, which is bad since it's so short, but then I liked it. A story about a zoo with paranormal beings, and it was the selkie that got me. One hot hot scene too.

Light through Fog by Holly Lisle
This was a sort of ghost story but at the same time not. And it was heartbreaking, a wonderful little story she brought to l
Mojca
Nothing to write home about, that's for sure. There were a couple of good stories in here, but were unfortunate to share space with other not-so-good stories, and so seemed rushed and not long enough. The potential was there, though.

The Good:
Paranormal Romance Blues by Kelley Armstrong (good humor)
Taking Hold by Anya Bast (wanted to read more about Mac and Lily)
How To Date a Superhero Jean Johnson (it promised, but didn't show the "big scene")
Trinity Blue by Eve Silver (again, wanted to read mor
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
I got this strictly for the Ilona Andrews short story, and it was FANTASTIC. It's a stand alone--nothing to do with either The Edge, or Kate Daniels (or Kinsman if you're a true, die-hard Ilona Andrews fan), and it was amazing in a way that short stories and novellas seldom are. It always surprises me (though I should be used to it by now) how in a few short pages, the Andrews can create a tangible world with characters you care about.

Love, love, LOVED it.
Rhianna
Jun 17, 2009 Rhianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great variety... not so great quality...

A widesweeping selection of paranormal fables of the romantic persuasion, THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF PARANORMAL ROMANCE, is a tantalizing sampler for fans of both the paranormal romance and urban fantasy genres. Filled with short stories from some of the biggest names—and some little known—in paranormal romance and urban fantasy I highly recommend this for other readers who are seeking a taste of new authors or to try something from an old favorite. To keep thing
Melindeeloo
Sep 23, 2009 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Short' on romance, but lots of entertainment with a paranormal twist.

The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance, should really be called the Mammoth Book of Paranormal Stories. If you are a romance purist coming in with the expectation that you are getting a whole slew of romances written by a group of your favorite authors, you might be disappointed. But even though there were only a few stories in this collection that I would actually call `romances', there were quite a lot good stories with par
Josie
Oct 05, 2016 Josie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished all 24 stories! Overall, I'd give the book 3.5 stars as, of course, some of the stories were better and more interesting than others. Meljean Brook and Maria V. Snyder's shorts were my favourite but anything I rated over 3.5 stars are worth a read IMO.

The Temptation of Robin Green by Carrie Vaughn - 3 stars
Succubus Seduction by Cheyenne McCray - 2.5 stars
Paranormal Romance Blues by Kelley Armstrong - 3.5 stars
John Doe by Anna Windsor - 3 stars
Taking Hold by Anya Bast - 3 stars
Ho
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
I read these all randomly and mainly only got the book for the Ilona Andrews story, which was awesome. I think it was also the longest story in the collection.

1. At Second Bite: 3 stars
6. Paranormal Romance Blues: 3 - humorous
7. Succubus Seduction: 3
8. Daniel: 1-2
9. John Doe: 4 - badass chicks
10. The Temptation of Robin Green: 2-3. I liked that it was depressing, but didn't actually like the story.
Cyn Armistead
Jun 22, 2009 Cyn Armistead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm extremely surprised by how much I enjoyed this anthology! I picked it up intending to just read the stories by authors I know I like—Kelley Armstrong, Ilona Andrews, Carrie Vaughn, Holly Lisle, Jeaniene Frost, Maria V. Snyder. I had never heard of some of the other authors. A few names I remembered seeing in other anthologies and not enjoying their work.

I did, however, deliberately put myself in a tolerant mindset: this is a book of romance stories. It wouldn't be fair to judge them as anyth
Angela
Apr 25, 2009 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I travel I like to take plenty of reading material along for long waits in the airport or for other boring moments. However, for my trip to Arizona last week I neglected to bring more than two books. Thus I found myself browsing the shelfs at B&N desperate for something light and fun to read. That's where I found this book and I'm glad I did. It has 24 short romantic stories and not only didi I find them all enjoyable, I also discovered three new authors to add to my TBR shelf.
Jonathan Currinn
Nov 26, 2015 Jonathan Currinn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally bought this book so I could reference it in my Creative Writing Project, to draw inspiration from the stories contained inside.

Here's my thoughts on each story:

The Temptation Of Robin Green - Carrie Vaughn
Second time I've come across selkies, I have never even heard of them before 4 months ago. This is such an inspiration and exciting to learn about a new whole supernatural creature, eager to find out more and I love how they trance people. This was set in a supernatural biological
Sarah Marie
The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance edited by Trisha Telep

I’m doing this review differently. I’ll list the title, author, my rating on the story, what it’s about, and thoughts (if I have particular ones). This is a collection of 24 short stories that focus on the paranormal. Let’s move on to the first story.

3 stars

This story focused mainly on selkies. The story was interesting and I think I could’ve loved it if it hadn’t been lacking in c

Lexie
Jul 30, 2015 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike with The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance I've read almost all of the authors present in this collection to some degree. Obviously some of them more (Maria V. Snyder, Rachel Caine, Mary Jo Putney and Ilona Andrews), but I've read at least one story per an author before now.

Even though I knew I would enjoy the authors more in this collection then the other, I was still hesitant to think I would enjoy the collection more. I read a lot of paranormal--for fun and review--and I've been dis
Heather
Mar 30, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before reading this book I had a nosey at the reviews and recall seeing someone claiming there 'was not enough romance' - well, for the first few there seems to be more smut with paranormal thrown in as a setting and little else. Don't get me wrong, the paranormal element was great, I just wish the author had focused more on that and then had romance as a theme and not the other way around.

Once I got past these few 'oh my god, take me now' stories as I like to call them, I found myself in a worl
Clare O'Beara
I enjoyed most of the stories in this book and I'm pleased to have read it. Many of the authors are producing novellas in paranormal romance or urban fantasy, so they are skilled in this area already, but you don't need to have read their books to get into their short stories.

I particularly enjoyed: a tale about a lighthouse keeper and his wife, who contend with a murderous sea god; a stone gargoyle who is wonderfully well brought to life for us; a werewolf lady who needs to catch a serial kill
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
A solid collection of original 24 short stories that were easy to read and great examples of the genre. I think this would be an ideal introduction to the genre for someone interested, and a great read for fans.
There is a nice variety - vampires, shifters, ghosts, and even a gargoyle and only a few that had links to the authors series eg Blue Crush by Raechel Caine (Weather Warden series) and The Wager by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Lords of Avalon series).
I have read something from most of the authors s
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
They weren't kidding when they said Mammoth Book. SO many authors I like are in this book. I find it interesting they are all females.

The one that really stuck out for me was Holly Lisle's Light Through Fog. This one was the one that moved me most. I could say it upset me the most because I was angry at the woman's parents. It also moved me most with their dedication of love to transcend anything else.

I do like Ilona Andrew's "Grace of Small Magics". I've read it before already so perhaps this
Diana
I only read the short story "The Wager" by Sherrilyn Kenyon writing as Kinley Macgregor. I really enjoyed it especially since the main character is Thomas Mallory. It's a part of the Lords of Avalon series but I feel it could be read as a standalone. It seems like a good series, I will definitely be reading more of it.
Heather
Oct 21, 2010 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr
waited a long time on my Library's hold list for this book...and #1 its not mammoth
#2 stories were way too short
& #3 not the quality you would expect from these authors
#$ was just disappointed in it period
Sharon
Mar 07, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
Different than her other books...about shifter werewolves. Good - would like to read more!
Jenni
Where should I begin? I will individually rate the 24 stories and the final rate of this book will be the average of those rates. Let's get it started then!
(view spoiler)
Erika Williams
Jun 02, 2012 Erika Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance is actually a collection of 24 short stories, all of which fall into the paranormal romance category some way or another. Not all of them fit the bill exactly, because I'm pretty sure romance stories are supposed to have a happy ending, regardless of the paranormal qualifier in front. Most of the stories are either hit or miss, with some terribly dismal ones and others that were exceptionally good.

"The Temptation of Robin Green" - This one was a miss in my
Jennybeast
Hit or miss, as would seem likely in such collection. I liked the stories by Ilona Andrews, Rachel Caine and Maria V. Snyder (all of whom I've read and liked before). I also liked Meljean Brook, Mary Jo Putney, Allyson James, Eve Silver, Alyssa Day, Jeniene Frost, Catherine Mulvany, Holly Lisle and Anya Bast, but I was disappointed to discover that their stories are not from worlds they already write about -- it appears to be a book of short stories that do not relate to the author's canons. Tha ...more
Theresa
24 short stories and novellas by 24 talented authors.

1)‘The Temptation of Robin Green’ by Carrie Vaughan. Kitty Norville 0.4. 3 stars. An inside look at the nighttime events at the top secret military Center for the Study of Para-natural Biology. A unicorn, vampire, werewolf, mermaid, selkie and more.

2)‘Succubus Seduction’ by Cheyenne McCray. 1 star. An incubus and a succubus become human. Nothing really interesting or exciting.

3)“Paranormal Romance Blues’ by Kelly Armstrong. Other-world Sto
Accalia
Mar 01, 2016 Accalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The temptation of Robin Green - Carrie Vaughn
My kind of epic love-story. Heartwrenching, heartaltering, heartbreaking. Full of promise.

Succusbus Seduction - Cheyenne McCray
Not my cup of tea. A little flat, I missed a little depth.

Paranormal Romance blues - Kelley Armstrong
Fast, easy, hooks me up from the very start

John Doe - Anna Windsor
Holds potential. Wouldn't mind reading a complete novel.

Taking Hold - Anya Blas
Liked the storyline, interesing view, wouldn't mind reading more.

How
Shannon
Mar 02, 2015 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, originally I was going to read this whole book because I've found authors I've liked while reading these anthology things before. In fact, I am pretty sure I discovered Jeaniene Frost, who is one of my favorite paranormal authors, while reading Death's Excellent Vacation. I first skipped to grace of small magics - i liked that one. usually witches are the worst characters but the author's name sounded familiar so i gave it a shot and found this book very imaginative and entertaining. i may h ...more
Sexy Vampire Satire From Lynda Hilburn 1 7 Aug 09, 2011 02:27PM
  • Four Dukes and a Devil
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #2.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • The Mammoth Book of Hot Romance
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Under Her Skin
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #3.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
  • By Blood We Live
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5)
  • Over The Moon (Mageverse #3.5)
Trisha Telep was the romance and fantasy book buyer at Murder One, a London crime, mystery, and romance bookstore; she's now co-owner of the virtual bookstore www.murderone.co.uk and an editor of romance and supernatural anthologies for Mammoth. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, she now lives in London.
More about Trisha Telep...

Mammoth Romances (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance