Start by marking “The Widows of Broome” as Want to Read:
The Widows of Broome

The Widows of Broome (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte #13)

widows of broome - classic stories
Published March 1st 1985 by Scribner Paper Fiction (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Widows of Broome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Widows of Broome

Marianne
Dec 24, 2013 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Widows of Broome is the 13th book in the Napoleon Bonaparte series by Australian author, Arthur Upfield. Post-war Broome is a drowsy little town of comfortable bungalows and windowless shops, cut off from civilisation by hundreds of miles of virgin land. It is some weeks after two young, attractive, well-off widows have been murdered in this town, and Perth CIB have failed to find a murderer, that Bony makes an appearance, posing as a psychiatrist, Mr Knapp. With no motive for the murders ...more
Lucy
Oct 14, 2014 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I have faced problems as difficult, and have carried responsibility as great. No man ever rose to greatness who feared responsibility. I have never feared it...which is why I am now Detective Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte. You, Walters, and you, Sawtell, have had to climb gates to reach your positions. I have had to claw my way over Everest."
The voice which had contained a note of ringing triumph died away, and in the silence the two men smoked with stoically concealed embarrassment. They had di
Glen U
Jul 27, 2016 Glen U rated it liked it
"The Widows of Broome" is a another sojourn to Australia with one of my favorite fictional detectives, Napoleon Bonaparte. Written in 1950, it features a half white, half aborigine detective, who utilizes his modern education with his innate sense of nature, to solve crimes. Riven with cultural, sexist, and racial prejudices, it may not be for a more "politically correct" reader, but it is an excellent example of that era's detective novel. Extremely well written, with engaging characters and an ...more
jennifer
Aug 28, 2011 jennifer rated it really liked it
Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte is sent to the small seaside town of Broome to take over the investigation of the murders of two local widows. Bony attempts to find out what the two, then three, victims have in common but keeps finding that they led dissimilar lives, apart from their widowhood. And the town may be small but it has more than a few creepy men.

This is the third Bony mystery I've read and I like this series a lot. It occurred to me as I read this one that Upfield wasn't all that cozy.
Sally
Jan 30, 2014 Sally rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I read this paperback years ago, and more recently my husband and I listened together to the Bolinda Audio version, read by Peter Hosking. I don't think all of the Bony books have been done as audiobooks yet, but we have listened to a number of them and enjoy Hosking's narrations.

The great appeal of Upfield's mysteries is the visit to many different areas of Australia, with descriptions of landscape and lifestyles of the 1930s to 1950s. In this one, the setting is a small town with not so much o
Stefani Akins
Apr 19, 2015 Stefani Akins rated it it was amazing
Another enjoyable outing with Australia's most famous criminalist, Detective Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte! The previous owner not only left me a Denver bus transfer ticket, but also found and corrected (in pencil) the book's only error.
Samantha
Aug 03, 2011 Samantha rated it did not like it
I had higher expectations for this book. Not only was it sexist and racist, I had rather hoped if you named your lead character Napoleon Bonaparte in 1950's Austraila that he would at least be interesting, which he certainly wasn't.
Mary Newcomb
Bony is dispatched to Broome, on the north west coast of Australia, to sort out the perplexing deaths of two widows there. He does this in fine fashion with some help from unexpected allies. The racial aspects of this series are wearing on me however, I think this may be the last for me.
Nfreynolds
Aug 20, 2014 Nfreynolds rated it really liked it
Old fashioned Sherlock Holmes style detective character, with some decent suspense about who-done-it. I read it because I was recently in Broome. It was written in the 1950's and was a small town then; it is a larger small town now.
Joy
Aug 05, 2012 Joy rated it it was amazing
Who is killing well-to-do widows in this formerly booming town, and why? Bony follows a cold trail by making friends with the townspeople to unravel footprints and psychology. I can't praise this series highly enough.
Eilagh
Jan 05, 2015 Eilagh rated it it was ok
Easy reading book. I enjoy Upfield's vocabulary - not PC but very Australian. I guess it is possible at some stage for everyone to be able to read these words and not be offended.
Rogue Reader
Dec 28, 2015 Rogue Reader rated it really liked it
Beautiful widows are murdered, their deaths signaled by theft of lingerie drying on the line. Bony's patient intuition turns up the murderer.
Joyce
There is much stereotyping of races (specifically aborigines) and women, and yet the characters and the story manage to go beyond all that to make for a thrilling, well written suspense novel.
David
David rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2011
Helen Rencken
Helen Rencken rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2015
DeltaCubed
DeltaCubed rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Lynn Jenkins
Lynn Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2011
Birgitta Gustafson
Birgitta Gustafson rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Laurence
Laurence rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Lewis
Lewis rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2011
Liesl
Liesl rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Mary Jane
Mary Jane rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Rebecca Norton
Rebecca Norton rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2014
Robert Wood
Robert Wood rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2014
notgettingenough
notgettingenough rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2009
Charise
Charise rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
  • Poor Fellow My Country
  • The Last of the Nomads
  • A Murder, a Mystery and a Marriage
  • Drylands
  • Dandelion Cottage (Dandelion Cottage, #1)
  • The Steam Pig
  • Told After Supper
  • The Dig Tree: The Story of Bravery, Insanity, and the Race to Discover Australia's Wild Frontier
  • The First Sir Percy: an Adventure of the Laughing Cavalier
  • A River Town
  • The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, #1)
  • The Mystery of Mary
  • Nairobi Heat
  • The Book Stops Here (Mobile Library Mystery, #3)
  • The Christmas Angel
Aka Arthur Upfield

Arthur William Upfield (1 September 1890 – 13 February 1964) was an Australian writer, best known for his works of detective fiction featuring Detective Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte ('Bony') of the Queensland Police Force, a half-caste Aborigine.

Born in England, Upfield moved to Australia in 1910 and fought with the Australian military during the First World War. Following his wa
More about Arthur W. Upfield...

Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Barrakee Mystery
  • The Sands of Windee (Bony, #2)
  • Wings Above the Diamantina
  • Murder Down Under
  • Winds of Evil (A Scribner Crime Classics)
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • The Mystery of Swordfish Reef