The Recipe

The Recipe

4.59 of 5 stars 4.59  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  12 reviews
"First, combine the dry ingredients. They are what make the cake rise."

Craig has pined for Emily since the fourth grade. Imagine his surprise when, at the start of his junior year, he discovers that she has finally noticed him.

"Then, separately, stir up the wet ingredients."

When Emily returns to school the fall of her junior year, she finds that her old friend Craig has...more
Published August 6th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

Erica
I love this book. Love. This. Book. Here's why: it takes on the first time sexual experience and stays there, giving time and voice to the characters to sort things out.

The Recipe's main characters, Emily and Craig, care about each other, love each other, and explore a sexual relationship. Through their questions, awkwardness, pleasures, and frustration, all grounded in their deep affection for each other, some terrific information is shared along the way, such as ways of talking to each other,...more
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
‘The Recipe’ is a great book which I would want my child to read (if I had any children). It’s a touching and candid story of how high-school kids learn to deal with important issues concerning sex and relationships. What made this book so enjoyable to me were both the illustrations and the practical language in which these issues are discussed. Rather than being fluffy-bunny and rosily over-romantic, Ms. Dee is pragmatic and straightforward about sex and relationships. She also includes positiv...more
Books Hall
This book starts off in a sweet way--I love best friends fall in love stories. And this one has a great mix between the romance developing between Emily and Craig and their relationships with the rest of the group. It reminded me a bit of the camaraderie in the old tween series The Babysitter's Club and the Sweet Valley High books. However, the camaraderie the friends enjoy is as far as the comparison goes.

This particular YA pushes the envelope in ways I've not seen before--and it deals with so...more
Ruth Hill
Permit me to say from the outset that this review was extremely difficult for me to write. I am honestly doing my best to be fair in all that I say, and it looks like I am in a minority on my views concerning this book. I realize and appreciate the reasons the author wrote the book in the way she did. I am a substitute teacher at high schools, and I can see that much of what I am reading in this book is right in line with pop culture. For so many high school students, having sex is as normal and...more
Jody
I don't read many YA books but I found this a compelling and realistic read that brought to life in vivid detail the lives of teenagers and the emotional intensity of a first love. The author depicted teenagers in a way that was believable and imbued them with issues that were surprisingly adult for a YA story. With a POV that gave us insight into both of the sexes and their inner thoughts and fears this was a story that tugged at my heartstrings and put a smile on my face watching a group of te...more
ReviewsByMolly
So, starting off reading this story I was a little nervous of the outcome. I wasn't sure I would be able to get into the story enough to even finish it. But, I am pleased to say that I did read, I did finish it and I did enjoy it! Ms. Dee is superbly talented and has a knack for creating a real-to-life teen drama filled with what if's and romance. Truly a story that all young folks need to read!

Emily and Craig.....young, witty and....in love? These two characters were absolutely touching in my...more
Carrie
~I won this book from Goodreads~ This is a great book that very bluntly puts it out there how it is to be in love at 17. I think this is a great book not only displaying teenage love, but it imitates new relationships of all age demographics. You need to know how to communicate with your partner in and out of the bedroom... Or kitchen while making Whoopie Pies!!
Booker Like a Hooker
I gave up.. I was going to write after March but I couldn't wait.

OMG! I wish I read this long ago! It was so perfect! Also I couldn't believe they are in junior high only. That's unbelieveable. When I was that age, well I don't remember exactly but I surely didn't thought anything like that.
I like the touch of homoseksualizm. Parents were so smart about their kids and I like those too.
Craig is so sweet but about Emily I can't feel anything about her.
I love the whole story. It's Sweet.
The last t...more
Karina
I really enjoyed reading this short novel aimed at young adult readers -- which is certainly not my demographic(!), but as a parent of soon-to-be teen girls, I am often thinking about how on earth I should be communicating with them about romantic relationships, boys, sex and sexuality, and so I jumped at the chance to read this book when a friend recommended it to me as just the sort of thing that she hoped all teens would read and find both helpful and enjoyable.

Fancy that! A book about teen s...more
Enrico Antiporda
I am of two minds with this book, and am torn between giving it 3 stars or 4 stars. On one hand, I like the simplicity of it, the way it took me to my sentient years in high school when life was simple and filled with the wondrous innocence of youth. On the other hand, I felt that the book may be too simple and lacked the complexity that one feels in those years when everything we experience is magnified, our problems and insecurities seemingly insurmountable and our infatuations seemingly witho...more
Keanna Lewis
I would like to read this book, because these two characters are like most in life, where we don't look at that person for in a certain way and as we grow up we realize that that person was in front of us the whole time. I love how Maisy Dee combines love and cooking in such a unique way, and makes the reader want to keep and looking for more.
Jonathan Lippincott
The young adult novel we wish we had! Very honestly written story of two teens trying negotiate love and sex, and the whirlwind of friends, family and high school all around them. Well written and fast moving, and very entertaining along the way!
Tiffany York
Tiffany York marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Lily (Lily Pond Reads)
Lily (Lily Pond Reads) marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Olivia Foust
Olivia Foust marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »