Start by marking “Drown” as Want to Read:
Drown

Drown

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Dom Sal is the star quarterback of his high school football team. His charming, earnest personality has girls tripping over themselves to be with him. Everyone knows his family lives in the St. Michael Charity Housing, but all that matters is how many touchdowns he can score. And Dom never lets them down. No one knows he hides a secret--he dreams about men.

Damion Adrik is
Published August 17th 2012 by Rebel Ink Press LLC (first published August 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Drown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drown

Lauraadriana
Sep 13, 2012 Lauraadriana rated it did not like it
It's really more like 1.5 Stars since I managed to finish it.

First thing, this book read more like a really promising rough draft than an actual book that I would be happy to pay $5.99 for. The editing was ATROCIOUS. BAD just BADDD. I actually went back to check if it was self-published. It is not, it is through Rebel Ink Press, I guess part of their rebellious spirit is rebelling against grammar rules.

The use of nouns in this book pretty much ruined my reading experience. The author overused th
Macky ~ Sinfully Gay Romance Book Reviews
I did want to like this novel but unfortunately I just couldn't, it was full of angry , destructive and ugly natured characters and was overloaded with so many depressive subjects that it became harder and harder to wade through the book. I practically forced myself to finish the book but it was hard going in the end and there were big chunks that I glossed through just to get there, I think I was trying to see if there was any light to be found but if there was I didn't see it! Because of the n ...more
Madeleine
Jul 11, 2013 Madeleine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody that loves a good read!
Shelves: the-best

Wow! Just WOW.....! This book was really amazing. You get to follow two unlikely matched boys grow to not only love each other, but love the life they're given. One in faith of God and the other in faith of pain and desperation, my heart really went out to them both. They made a perfect pair of love and forgiveness.

This book was filled with so much emotions, so much strength and weakness. Through their good times smiling, and through their fights, you really get a feeling of real life with thes
Sleepyfur
Exactly what I hoped it would be

A popular jock and an unpopular goth falling in love whilst battling prejudice, religious beliefs and the Goth's unhealthy addiction to self harm.
Betryal
Aug 17, 2012 Betryal rated it liked it
Melanie Broyles
Aug 24, 2012 Melanie Broyles rated it really liked it
This story was filled with so much emotion and such beautifully crafted characters that I felt like it was too real at times. The story is about two high school senior boys who come from two totally different worlds, but both have pain and secrets that they must deal with before finding love and realizing that it's worth fighting for. I loved reading Dom & Damian's story, how they overcame not only their own prejudices about one another but also facing adversaries that took courage, faith, a ...more
John Sontag
Apr 14, 2014 John Sontag rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. Waves and currents and pools of exquisite prose form a compelling tale of two young men from vastly different backgrounds. What they ultimately find together is love and healing, and a future together.

Dominic is an athlete, the high school's star quarterback. He has everything. He has the admiration of the entire school. He has a beautiful girlfriend and the rest of the school worships him. He is academically gifted. But he come
TheFountainPenDiva
Dear Author,

Goths are NOT all like Damion. Yes, we sometimes do wear all black, and tend to live in our own heads. Considering the dreck all around us, sometimes our imaginations are a safer place to be. We are not a bunch of death-obsessed, anti-social, satan-worshipping pyschopaths. Believe it or not, there are Christian Goths! And lastly, Marilyn Manson IS NOT GOTH! He has made that fact perfectly clear and yet even now people still link him to the subculture. I'd have more respect for an au
Whitney
Sep 26, 2012 Whitney rated it it was ok
[TW for talks of suicide and self-harm]

I wonder how long ago this book was really written before it was published. I'm not sure of the author's age, but bands she mentions were popular (and still made music) back when I was in high school and I'm 25 now.

I sympathized with Damian and I didn't at the same time. What he went through was tragic. How his parent's dealt with that tragedy was abismal. And Damian's coping mechanism was heartbreaking. I knew cutters and I knew they have to be going throu
Erin
Aug 18, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
I was a bit surprised that I liked this book as much as I did. Normally when people write about teens the angst is really overdone but I didn't get that from Drown. Damion and Dom are an odd couple but I think that the only type of person that could have reached Damion would have been someone like Dom.

I wanted more, but it's not that I wanted more from the story (I loved the story)...more depth maybe? I realize that if the author had gone deeper into everything that happened the book would have
Firenz
This is going to be a short review, I just wanted to say I have never seen such a selfish MC before. Everything was about him, if something went wrong it was always everyone else. He lied broke promises cheated and yet faced no repercussions.

Before the (view spoiler), I would have probably rated 3.5. But this was just beyond selfish once again taking the easy way out.

The pronouns were over-used. Every sentence either containing "The Jock" or "The Goth".

The autho
Amy
Aug 18, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-them
This was a very emotional and heartwarming story. I loved the boys, they were so different but so alike in so many ways. I'd love to see a story for James because he changed alot through this book, and I'd love to see the effect it had on his life.
Manuela
Nov 20, 2012 Manuela rated it liked it
I liked the core of the story, the relationship between the two main characters, the way Dom helped Damion with his issues and the way Damnion ultimately found the strenght not just in Dom but in himself too. But the book suffers of a few problems. The first and biggest one to me is that the author often uses "the jock" and especially "the goth" for the two main characters. I can deal with it a few times, but after a while it becomes very distracting.
The second problem was the point of view: th
K Cherryholmes
Just too much!

First, I would have to agree with the person who wrote the review about the overuse of the word " goth" constantly. It was irritating and distracting. Second, I hate that Damion cheated on Dom (even if it was just the one time and out of hatred and self-loathing). At that point, the book became an epic failure to me, and I was completely turned off by everything that occurred afterwards.
Greg Doornbos-Ross
Mar 24, 2014 Greg Doornbos-Ross rated it it was amazing
I really like this book. Even though I'm in a super depressed state of mind and books like this have the effect of also bringing me down, there are so many qualities that Dom and Damian possess, that I too possess. So I could relate to them. I know the reviews are all over with this book. I think it's one that may depend where a person is emotionally themselves. I couldn't put it down and I didn't want it to end.
EmeArsh
May 25, 2015 EmeArsh rated it it was amazing
loved it, really loved it. Sat up till the early hours and finished it. It was strong. Powerful. And all the emotions grip a person hard. The author has done a splendid job.
Sometimes I am so glad I didn't listen to the reviews.
Jackie
Nov 27, 2014 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read

This is truly a love story. Take the time to read this heartbreaking yet feel good story about true love.....
Lucy Smith
Sep 17, 2014 Lucy Smith rated it it was amazing
Liked it. I got the feeling the author cleaned up the use of "the goth" and "the jock" by the time I read it. I only saw it on occasion.
Katherine
Jul 30, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it
It was dark with self destructive MC's that are still in high school. Underage everything. This was a rough read( needs some editing), but I couldn't put it down. I'll look for more from this author.
John
Jan 26, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Very disturbing but compelling and quite realistic portrayal of self-harm mental illness. Thisnbook demonstrates just how much harm parents, adults, peers and society affect the lives of our children. Sends a tacit message that society needs to address these issues conclusively. The coming ut, self ID as gay is accurate and shows a depth of understanding of the miriade concerns. Portrays courage and resolve in dealing with being gay...and so manyother issues.

Cant wait to see what is next from hi
Darla Arnold
Sep 08, 2012 Darla Arnold rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, I think what I really liked the most was how the "Jocks" faith was handled and the conclusion that he came to about God and what he believed about being gay. I find that in many of the M/M books I read and "christians" are haters and the worst evil characters you will find, while in reality some are....some are not! Some are thoughtful people just trying to reconcile what they are taught to believe with what Jesus really said. Thanks to the author for making this point.
Dick
Jan 30, 2013 Dick rated it really liked it
Shelves: gblt
Another GLBT novel about a trouble teen who finds support and love from an unexpected source. The stroy involves some graphic details regarding one characters difficulties with cutting, but in my opinion it was very eye opening and helped me to better understand why someone might be a cutter. This is probably not for everyone, but I found it very good.
Bradley Mathis-Krone
Jun 26, 2013 Bradley Mathis-Krone rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Read it NOW!!!
One of the best coming of age stories I have ever read. The story of two young men, from different worlds who come together to conquer the trails and trepidations of small towns, smaller minds, and Love bigger than them both. It's a story telling how with love, even the darkest night's can be beat back in the bright rays of morning.
Letti
Sep 26, 2012 Letti marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: m-m, wtf
DNF stopped at 73% ( pat myself on the back)... I'm totally pissed, this book could have worked, But they were so many things that just irked me the wrong way YEAH i got it Dom Sal is the JOCK and Damion Adrik is the GOTH, the freak. I'm not even sure why the author even bothered giving them names since it's hardly used..
Sars
Oct 29, 2012 Sars rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, ya
Agree with a few comments that this book was poorly edited. That said, it was a really great story. Not your ya novel with themes of cutting, drugs, and suicide. It was very emotional and I found myself engrossed despite the sometimes confusing dialogue.
Toby
Sep 28, 2014 Toby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-romance
I rarely give a book (5) stars.

This is a book that deals with a lot of taboo subjects. I have to say though, it was an honest look into cutting, and suicide. I enjoyed this book. And I definitely recommend this book
Latinachick
Sep 24, 2013 Latinachick rated it it was amazing
Omg it was a great story. Yea there were a lot of sad stuff like how Damian's dad didn't care for him or how others cared for him. I really do like how Dom cares about him and would do anything to help him
Jen Wilson
Aug 19, 2012 Jen Wilson rated it it was amazing
I like this book bit confusing sometimes
T.J.
Aug 18, 2012 T.J. added it
This was a DNF for me, unfortunately.
Erin
Erin added it
May 04, 2016
  • His Undoing
  • 366 Days
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • Appearances Matter (Dumb Jock, #3)
  • Nail Polish and Feathers (Deep Secrets and Hope, #1)
  • Kieran & Drew
  • Heartless (Keeping Secrets #1)
  • The Sweetest Scent (Senses and Sensations, #4)
  • Beginning Again (Finding Peace, #1)
  • Play Me, I'm Yours
  • Not Letting Go (Not Letting Go, #1)
  • Safe
  • True Blue
  • Safety Net
  • Breaking Point
  • End of the Innocence (Tales from Foster High, #4)
  • Outshine the Stars
  • The Battle for Jericho
Alex is a compulsive writer, avid reader and geek of many stripes. She grew up on fantasy adventure and never could shake the bug. Now Alex divides time between epic fantasy and adventure romance, where dark heroes and heroic villains wait around every corner.

Someday Alex plans to own a forge and armory. Until then, she'll spend her days in the company of knights, heroes, villains and monsters, al
More about Alex Jones...