Start by marking “When I'm 164: The New Science of Radical Life Extension, and What Happens If It Succeeds” as Want to Read:

How long do you want to live, and why? These are the questions that bestselling author ('Experimental Man') and science writer David Ewing Duncan explores, with surprising results. 'When I'm 164' surveys the increasingly legitimate science of radical life extension — from genetics and regeneration to machine solutions — and considers the pluses and minuses of living to age ...more
Published August 15th 2012 by TED Conferences

To ask other readers questions about When I'm 164, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I'm 164

Michael
Aug 18, 2012 Michael rated it it was ok
I decided to make a quick pie chart of what exactly was in this book, and was so bugged I bumped it down from 3 to 2 stars. Unfortunately this book would have been better off if it were longer. Take out end notes, epilogue musings, what random people polled think and other fluff, and you have perhaps 20 pages, maybe a little more, of solid material.

I simply wanted more details. Lay out a robust case of WHY we will live to be so old. A few pages, literally, for a major field that is contributing
George
Sep 30, 2012 George rated it liked it
VERY INTERESTING. VERY TOUGHT PROVOKING.

“Desired Lifespan (30,000 people asked): • 80 Years – 60%, • 120 Year – 30%, • 150 Year – 10%, • Forever - < 1%.”

Thank goodness for the (<) 1% lunatic fringe, the techno-optimists and the techno-heroes. Without them we’d probably never have made it into the Stone Age, let alone beyond.

Consistent with the mantra of TED Conferences and TED Videos, TED Books offer another exciting delivery system for my needed doses of “ideas worth spreading”.

‘When I’m
John Brooke
Mar 27, 2016 John Brooke rated it it was amazing
WHEN I'M 164; The New Science of Radical Life Extension, and What Happens If It Succeeds
by DAVID EWING DUNCAN

Read by an octogenarian

Another compelling and insightful read via TED's Books. An easy to read compilation of insights about our life journeys by the author and a vast number of other notable humans. Succinctly documented and linked to their sources.

As a successful octogenarian, reading this book I was compelled to briefly list my medical history from my birth to the present.

SCARS

Soul
Kiera
Feb 10, 2017 Kiera rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Quick primer on longevity and life extension possibilities. It covers the main feasible approaches and the dominant discussion for and against life extension. Nothing new introduced or developed here, but a good, light introduction to the key ideas in the area.
Timothy Finucane
Dec 31, 2012 Timothy Finucane rated it liked it

A concise little book set at about the same length as a TED conference presentation. The book presents a general overview of the anti-aging idea, discussing both good and bad points. Not much of this is really new and has been covered in other books, but it does make for a nice introduction to the concepts. This book was my first introduction to the TED books series and this one was interesting enough that I will probably check out a few more of them.

nicole
Sep 04, 2013 nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: science
This should have been a series, with a Kindle Single devoted to each of the categories of life extension that Duncan covers. Far too broad as it is - this read would only be new and interesting for people who have very little knowledge of popular science in general.
Jose Ribeiro Neto
Dec 29, 2013 Jose Ribeiro Neto rated it really liked it
Interesting. Well resumed.
If you want a better book about look at "100+ from Sonia Arrison"
Manoj
Feb 10, 2013 Manoj marked it as to-read
I read the sample and it was interesting, but didn't feel like reading the rest at this time. Maybe when I am bored in the summer.
Rubens Oliveira
Feb 09, 2014 Rubens Oliveira rated it liked it
Explica até que bem as pesquisas relacionadas a longevidade e as vantagens e desvantagens de uma civilização onde as pessoas poderão viver mais
Zsolt
Zsolt rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Amos Hannah
Amos Hannah rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2015
David Seabury
David Seabury rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Eric Frank
Eric Frank rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2016
Rick Yvanovich
Rick Yvanovich rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Daniel C Morris
Daniel C Morris rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Jason Wertenberger
Jason Wertenberger rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Rick
Rick rated it did not like it
Oct 08, 2012
Ezlyna
Ezlyna rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Willem Van Zyl
Willem Van Zyl rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Ribhu Rathore
Ribhu Rathore rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Michael T.
Michael T. rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Apollo Adama
Apollo Adama rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Davedmiller
Davedmiller rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Butch Zein
Butch Zein rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Ratna
Ratna rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
JJ
JJ rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2013
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
David Ewing Duncan is the author of seven books including the worldwide bestseller Calendar. He is Chief Correspondent of public radio's Biotech Nation, a commentator on NPR's Morning Edition, and a contributing editor and a columnist for Conde Nast Portfolio. He has been a contributing editor to Wired, Discover and Technology Review, and has written for Harper s, The Atlantic, Fortune, and many o ...more
More about David Ewing Duncan...