Start by marking “When I'm 164: The New Science of Radical Life Extension, and What Happens If It Succeeds” as Want to Read:

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  7 reviews
How long do you want to live, and why? These are the questions that bestselling author ('Experimental Man') and science writer David Ewing Duncan explores, with surprising results. 'When I'm 164' surveys the increasingly legitimate science of radical life extension — from genetics and regeneration to machine solutions — and considers the pluses and minuses of living to age ...more
Published August 15th 2012 by TED Conferences

To ask other readers questions about When I'm 164, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I'm 164

Michael
I decided to make a quick pie chart of what exactly was in this book, and was so bugged I bumped it down from 3 to 2 stars. Unfortunately this book would have been better off if it were longer. Take out end notes, epilogue musings, what random people polled think and other fluff, and you have perhaps 20 pages, maybe a little more, of solid material.

I simply wanted more details. Lay out a robust case of WHY we will live to be so old. A few pages, literally, for a major field that is contributing
George
VERY INTERESTING. VERY TOUGHT PROVOKING.

“Desired Lifespan (30,000 people asked): • 80 Years – 60%, • 120 Year – 30%, • 150 Year – 10%, • Forever - < 1%.”

Thank goodness for the (<) 1% lunatic fringe, the techno-optimists and the techno-heroes. Without them we’d probably never have made it into the Stone Age, let alone beyond.

Consistent with the mantra of TED Conferences and TED Videos, TED Books offer another exciting delivery system for my needed doses of “ideas worth spreading”.

‘When I’m
Rubens Oliveira
Explica até que bem as pesquisas relacionadas a longevidade e as vantagens e desvantagens de uma civilização onde as pessoas poderão viver mais
Timothy Finucane

A concise little book set at about the same length as a TED conference presentation. The book presents a general overview of the anti-aging idea, discussing both good and bad points. Not much of this is really new and has been covered in other books, but it does make for a nice introduction to the concepts. This book was my first introduction to the TED books series and this one was interesting enough that I will probably check out a few more of them.

Nicole
This should have been a series, with a Kindle Single devoted to each of the categories of life extension that Duncan covers. Far too broad as it is - this read would only be new and interesting for people who have very little knowledge of popular science in general.
Jose Ribeiro Neto
Interesting. Well resumed.
If you want a better book about look at "100+ from Sonia Arrison"
Manoj
Feb 23, 2013 Manoj marked it as to-read
I read the sample and it was interesting, but didn't feel like reading the rest at this time. Maybe when I am bored in the summer.
Jennifer Mafnas
Jennifer Mafnas marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Tedd Landgraf
Tedd Landgraf marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Jennifer Gergen
Jennifer Gergen is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2014
Alannah Ryan
Alannah Ryan marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Jdo
Jdo marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Jeff Montgomery
Jeff Montgomery marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
David Abraham
David Abraham marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Brandon Richardson
Brandon Richardson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Ewing Duncan is the author of seven books including the worldwide bestseller Calendar. He is Chief Correspondent of public radio's Biotech Nation, a commentator on NPR's Morning Edition, and a contributing editor and a columnist for Conde Nast Portfolio. He has been a contributing editor to Wired, Discover and Technology Review, and has written for Harper s, The Atlantic, Fortune, and many o ...more
More about David Ewing Duncan...
The Calendar Experimental Man: What One Man's Body Reveals about His Future, Your Health, and Our Toxic World Hernando de Soto: A Savage Quest in the Americas Masterminds: Genius, DNA, and the Quest to Rewrite Life From Cape to Cairo: An African Odyssey