Start by marking “Running Far Afield” as Want to Read:
Running Far Afield

Running Far Afield

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Aaron thought nothing would be different in his new town of Ridgton. Instead, nothing is the same. When he meets Chris, he finds not only a fellow baseball player, but a close friend – one who gives him the courage to explore the things about himself he's been hiding. Rating R - 16,400 words - Complete. Mild sexual situations between consenting 16-year-olds.

Available at th
ebook, Free Online Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Running Far Afield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Far Afield

Evenfall by Santino HassellThe Student Prince by FayJayThe Violet and the Tom by Eve OcotilloAfterimage by Santino HassellFade by Santino Hassell
Favorite Unpublished M/M Stories
100th out of 276 books — 1,053 voters
The Backup Boyfriend by River JaymesFamily Man by Heidi CullinanTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyTurning 16 by Perie WolfordNorthern Star by Ethan Day
Must Read Gay Romances
97th out of 127 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Ami
Oct 09, 2012 Ami rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ami by: Vio
Beautiful short (freebie) story from Libby Drew about two teenagers from different spectrum of life, but find themselves in love on the baseball field. I love how Chris doesn't go all blaming situation or other people (since he's ward of the state). I love how Aaron also stands up from himself when his father forbids him to see Chris again. Different kind of approach regarding teenagers' coming-out story. While short, I'm loving it.

PS: The cover makes it look more like football helmet than baseb
Anna
HOLY SHIT I LOVED THIS SHORT STORY SO MUCH. It's going straight to my favourites shelf too. It was PERFECT, there is absolutely nothing that I would want to change about it! Oh wait I do! I wish it never ended! No but seriously, it was so great, I highly recommand it to everyone. And it's FREE. Please please please Libby Drew, tell me you're planning on writing a (longer) sequel?
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Free short on authors website.
It's a very sweet story about two teenage boys from very different backgrounds, and it also shows that behind closed doors things are not always what they seem.
I would love a longer story about Chris and Aaron and their future.
Vio
This is how I always imagined a budding relationship would unfold. Aaron and Chris are wonderful and real teenage boys. I loved the friendship and sexual tension/frustration between the boys, it goes hand in hand with the pains of growing up. An adorable and cute romance, a great freebie. My only complaint, I wanted so much more.
Akansha
3.5

This was so cute and sweet. Both Aaron and Chris were realistically drawn characters who behaved like adolescent boys as opposed to 13 year old girls. The evolution of their relationship from friendship to romance is adorably awkward and true to life. A perfect pick-me-up.
vLadimiR

You can tell if the author loves her characters with the way they interact throughout story. This sweet and adorable tale of two teenage boys is a perfect example.

Libby Drew forms a perfect blend of angst, tenderness and vulnerability to her characters that make them vividly real and quite relate-able.

No explicit scenes here so it's perfect for YA as well. I only wish I got to know more of Aaron's parent's history. I think there's more to why Mr. Kendrick is so obsessed with perception and so
Justin
Oct 01, 2013 Justin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Justin by: Ann

I really enjoyed this short story. Aaron and Chris are two boys with opposite upbringings. They meet when Aaron moves to town and spots a group of boys playing/practicing baseball. Aaron, also a ball player, decides to watch from the stand. When Chris catches Aaron staring and confronts him a showdown ensues. Neither backs down but a truce is made.
From their mutual respect for each other's abilities on the field to a friendship and then something more, this is a sweet, touching story y
Ery
Oct 30, 2012 Ery rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: shorts
The author weaves a sweet, short tale, providing the reader with a simple window into the budding romance of two young men. Strangely, it seems rare in the m/m world for a story to effectively capture a realistic but riveting story of budding romance. There's little (but some) angst, drama, or over the top romance, but the story that remains- this core, the pared down essence of a tale. is golden.
Trisha Harrington
A very beautiful and well written short story. Aaron and Chris were so cute, I would loved it to have been longer. Oh well this was just perfect just wish it had been longer :)
Ann
This is the first story that I've read from this author and I really don't know why. I've downloaded samples of her books and the blurbs had me hooked, so no excuses. I read this story yesterday though and absolutely loved it.

You hear and read the term "soul mates" knocked around too much so that it doesn't really mean anything anymore. But, every once in awhile you read a story about two people who are absolutely supposed to be together. They HAVE to be. This is one of those stories. The teena
Fishwings
This was a truly treasured read.

I've read this story months ago but once in awhile I go back to it to revisit this wonderful tale again.

The story follows Aaron, a high school baseball player with a detached relationship with his appearance-focused, wealthy parents, had recently moved to Ridgton. There, he meets Chris, a mysterious but charming, juvenile delinquent of sorts, who proves to be equally as skilled at baseball as Aaron. Despite an initial awkward and rocky confrontation of sorts, Chri
Lori
Oh such a lovely short story. Thanks Justin for the recommendation, you have great taste.
Edina Rose
Really good uncommon coming out story.
MLE
Apr 23, 2014 MLE rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
A sweet, and romantic short story. I liked the characters, and their connection. It felt real, and I appreciated that it took time for it to develop which is especially nice in a short story. I really liked Aaron's growth over the course of the story. It was a pleasure to see him gain so much confidence, and backbone. Chris's love helped him, but Chris is no way solved all of Aaron's problems. They both supported each other, and that was wonderful to see.
Monique
This was a great read. I loved the development of the relationship between Aaron and Chris.
Vick
:) :) :) :)
Meggie
Damn Libby, you write really great short stories!!! And that's a FACT. This story is really great and sadly to SHORT! I hope we will see more about this couple.
Ari

Awwww love it!!!
Short but beautifully written!
Love how Ms. Libby built the story & characters,in a such short story.
Jen Wilson
Great story.
Amy
I loved this short story. Great descriptions and I loved the building tension and romance between the characters. I did wish things hadn't been resolved so neatly with the parents. But hard to do with a shorter story.
Fayleah
You know a writer is talented when there's a certain atmosphere to their story that colors every mood and thought and scenario in it.

I love this writer's technique and the raw passion shown in this story. Definitely worth the 5 stars!
C
Wow, this was terrific. More on these two please?
Chrysa
SO good!!! Loved it
Riina Y.T.
Heavens those two were adorable!!! :)
Sara Alva
Such a quiet, beautiful story. I remember reading this several years ago and being sucked right into the story. I barely moved as I sat reading from my computer screen. One of the first m/m stories I ever read, and it will always have a special place in my heart.

I do wish we could hear more from these boys, but the characters are rich enough that they'll continue to live on in my head :)
Sadonna
Excellent free short story about two boys - one affluent, one from the "wrong side of the tracks" - who discover each other and love. Really well written and covers a lot of territory in the short word count.
Rajed Nom
...this ones very good short story, though f gven chance i like it to be longer and more of Chris and Aaron...still have to watch out now for more of Libby's writings...good job author...
Dayle
Really enjoyed this story. Definitely worth the read.
Anabelle Lucia
Lovely! But way too short.
Mac Ingram
Mac Ingram marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
  • Drunk Text
  • Ten in the Bin
  • Imaginary
3381921
Libby glimpsed her true calling when her first story, an A.A. Milne /Shakespeare crossover, won the grand prize in her elementary school's fiction contest. Her parents explained that writers were quirky, poor, and often talked to themselves in supermarket checkout lines. They implored her to be practical, a request she took to heart for twenty years, earning two degrees, a white-collar job, and an ...more
More about Libby Drew...