Start by marking “Absolution Creek” as Want to Read:
Absolution Creek

Absolution Creek

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  20 reviews

Published September 3rd 2012 by Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about Absolution Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolution Creek

The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots by Loretta HillJillaroo by Rachael TreasureThe Rouseabout by Rachael TreasureThe Family Farm by Fiona PalmerHeart of Gold by Fiona Palmer
Australian Rural Fiction
22nd out of 110 books — 64 voters
The Boy Who Fell To Earth by Kathy LetteVelocity by Steve  WorlandThe Mothers' Group by Fiona HigginsAfter the Darkness by Honey BrownFoal's Bread by Gillian Mears
50 Books You Can't Put Down 2012
14th out of 36 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

☼♄Jülie
Thanks to Random House Australia for this ARC. *This is an uncorrected proof copy so some alterations may have been made to the final release version.

*May contain spoilers*

"Chapter 1: "absolution n.1. the act of absolving; release from consequences, obligations, or penalties."

Set during the uncertain times of high unemployment and the beginnings of the [in some quarters] controversial construction of the Sydney Harbour bridge.
This is a great Australian saga about a man fleeing the lack of pros
Paula Clark
Great storyline, however I felt it was a little long and drawn out. I found it hard at first keeping up with all the different characters that were being introduced and how they related to each other and the story. Great to see Wangallon Station getting a mention :) and was also surprised at "Scrubbers" identity. Overall a great story which highlighted the struggles of life in the 1920's and how some things hadn't yet changed in the 60's - especially with relation to indigenous Australians.
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
One man lost her. One man died for her. One man would kill for her …

The Blurb

“In 1923 nineteen-year-old Jack Manning watches the construction of the mighty Harbour Bridge and dreams of being more than just a grocer’s son. So when he’s offered the chance to manage Absolution Creek, a sheep property 800 miles from Sydney, he seizes the opportunity.

But outback life is tough, particularly if you’re young, inexperienced and have only a few textbooks to guide you. Then a thirteen-year-old girl, Squib
Mish
The Author defiantly has a passion and knowledge for the rural life and the land, and it shines through into her storytelling. Even the little details such as the weather, animals, dust and the creek, all play such a significant part in the characters development; whether they will succeed or not, and their test of strength and willpower in the fight to make Absolution Creek profitable. Farming life is a very harsh life and it bought out the true qualities of these characters, whether good or ba ...more
Dale Harcombe
I really tried with this one but I simply couldn't get into it. Maybe it was more because I was not feeling well than the book itself, but it seemed to me to hop around all over the place. In the end I gave up.
This one is for my Australian authors list - and it was just OK for me. Starting out in 1920's Sydney, then jumping forward to the 1960's, but out in the bush, this story jumps back and forth between the 1920's and the 1960's on a very regular and disorienting basis. It is not as though I did not like the characters. They were interesting. Unfortunately, just as I was getting into the groove of the time period and the character, boom! Time travel. All the rest would be spoilers, so I'll just lea ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

As a fourth generation grazier, Nicole Alexander writes what she knows, sweeping sagas set in Australia's rural farming land. Absolution Creek is her third novel, with dual narratives set in 1923 and 1965.

Jack Manning is eager to escape the family run grocery store in Sydney's grimy city streets and make his fortune so when a kindly neighbour offers him the opportunity to make a living on the land he jumps at the chance. Promising to send for his sweetheart, Olive, in a few months, Jack sets of
Kathy
Rural life and the land – in all its glory. Nicole Alexander is a talented author, whose passion for the land shines through in “Absolution Creek”. You can feel every hot day and stormy drop of rain in her vivid detail. I really enjoyed the beginning with how the building of the Sydney Harbour Bridge affected so many people and whenever I go over it now, I am sure to think of the people who were displaced in its construction. This book is a dual time book and we go back and forth between the 192 ...more
Terri Stenton
A little confusing going backwards and forwards over 40 years but great reading. Once you align the characters reading the book becomes addictive
Alison
Interesting storyline with a tragic twist. Some interesting Sydney and sheep farming history.
Deborah Maile

I like this style of writing, Australian historical fiction.. its great!
Bettina
After reading The Bark Cutters and A Changing Land, I think I had high expectations for this book. It was a great read, but I'm still more of a fan of the Gordon saga. I think the only character who didn't annoy me in some way was James. All through the book Scrubber gave the impression of being 'Mr nice guy', but then right at the end we find out he's just a total coward all along. This did infuriate me a little, but overall the author tells the story well.
Vanessa
Ten out of ten!!! More please Nicole!!! :-)
Caroline Turnock
I was really surprised by this book. I went to a talk by the Author and made an incorrect assumption! It was a gritty book and although it skipped back and forth between the decades I still found it easy to follow the story and couldn't put it down! Well done Nicole Alexander! Going back now to read the Bark Cutters (her first book).
Leanne
A decent read but for the first half of the book I found the structure of the novel with alternating chapters from different time periods hard to grapple with. It took a bit of persevering but the wrap up at the conclusion was quite satisfying.
Justine
My least favourite of Nicole Alexander's book as I didn't find the book uplifting. As always it is set in the beautiful Australian outback. It is about struggle, survival, hardship and relationships.
Pam
Won this one too, lucky me! A really good yarn set in the Australian bush in 1920s and 1960s. My first by Alexander and my first in this setting - won't be my last am sure :)
Janine
A bit of a struggle and I didn't really enjoy it. Too long and I found the introduction of characters with no explanation confusing.
Rebecca
Enjoyed the descriptions as well as the twists and turns but the pace was quite slow which made it a hard story to really 'get into'.
Jeannette
Yet another good read. Thank you Nicole.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Janine Mccormack
Janine Mccormack marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Blue Eyed Vixen
Blue Eyed Vixen marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
  • Right As Rain
  • Rosalee Station
  • The French Promise
  • Zoe's Muster
Nicole Alexander is a fourth generation grazier and novelist living in north west NSW, Australia. Her bestselling novels include: The bark cutters, A Changing Land, Absolution Creek & Sunset Ridge. The Great Plains will be released November 2014.

Nicole has a Master of Letters in creative writing and her poetry, travel, genealogy articles and novels have been published in Australia, America, Ge
More about Nicole Alexander...
The Bark Cutters (Gordon, #1) A Changing Land (Gordon, #2) Sunset Ridge The Great Plains Surrender to Summer