Start by marking “The Radical Doula Guide: A Political Primer” as Want to Read:
The Radical Doula Guide: A Political Primer

The Radical Doula Guide: A Political Primer

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
From www.radicaldoula.com:

"In August 2012 I published The Radical Doula Guide, a 52 page political primer that addresses the political context of supporting people during pregnancy and childbirth.

The guide provides an introduction to full spectrum doula work—supporting people during all phases of pregnancy, including abortion, miscarriage, birth and adoption—as well as a d
Paperback, 1st, 40 pages
Published August 2012 by self-published

To ask other readers questions about The Radical Doula Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Radical Doula Guide

Katie
Quick read but informative. Would have liked more about what a doula actually does but the discussion around barriers to medical care is very interesting.
Erin
I really appreciate this guide because it brings together several things I am passionate about: full spectrum doula support, social justice, and the radical element of doula work, which the author defines as "making our doula services accessible to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to access them." It provides an overview of the various political and social justice issues that are inextricable from pregnancy/birth work and serves as an excellent discussion-starter about these issues. I'd love ...more
Molly Westerman
(There's a more detailed review at my website, First the Egg.)

A very quick read--both because it's quite brief and because of its accessible, friendly, but still thoughtful tone--The Radical Doula Guide would be an important supplement to any doula training. The length of this guide means it doesn't achieve much depth, but--as Perez establishes clearly--its aim is to raise questions and put a thought process into motion.

The takeaway is that doulas should be aware of and educated about the inequa
Melanie
An easy-to-understand, inclusive, and short introduction to diversity, privilege, and power issues relevant to providing full-spectrum pregnancy support. I bought a copy because it feels good to have this kind of book within easy reach on my shelf, even though I'm just now exploring an interest in birth activism. The sections on ability, size, and age gave me food for thought.

"Now I see a different group coming into this work. Young people without children but with a passion for health activism
Jenna Walthour
This lil primer covers BIG issues that all my other doula training books seemed to have missed. So glad to have found words for my misgivings with other hetero-normative, gender essentialist, "colorblind" readings. Highly recommend to doulas and future doulas.
Hannah
Quick read, decent overview of the politics and ethics behind birthing and doula work. It could stand for an update; there are newer resources on trans pregnancy and parenting. I also could use more info on birth work with incarcerated people.
I published my review on the Bay Area Doula Project blog: http://bayareadoulaproject.org/blog/2...
Alicia White
Alicia White marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Brittany Michelle
Brittany Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
J. Jam
J. Jam marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Dawn Hodge labourdoula
Dawn Hodge labourdoula marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Anna Horn
Anna Horn marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Jennifer Shannon
Jennifer Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Shadae
Shadae marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Noelle Goffnett
Noelle Goffnett marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
K.O.
K.O. marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Val
Val added it
Jul 27, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Atlas
Atlas marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Kate
Kate added it
May 26, 2015
Lori
Lori added it
Jul 26, 2015
Ya Stein
Ya Stein marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Olivia Scott
Olivia Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Miriam Zoila Pérez is a queer Cuban-American writer and activist focused on race, health and gender.

Pérez is the founder of Radical Doula, a blog that covers the intersections of birth activism and social justice from a doula’s perspective. You might also know her from her work at Feministing.com, where she was an Editor for four years, during which the site was awarded the Sidney J Hillman Prize
More about Miriam Zoila Perez...
Say Please: Lesbian BDSM Erotica