The Christmas Catch (Holiday Brides #1)

The Christmas Catch (Holiday Brides #1)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  488 ratings  ·  92 reviews
A new Christmas novella by bestselling author Ginny Baird...
Book #1 in Ginny's Holiday Brides novella series.

Since the death of her military husband two years ago, single mom Christine White has struggled to get by. By throwing herself into her work as a Chicago copywriter, she's managed to keep food on the table but has gradually lost sight of what really matters, like bu...more
Published August 16th 2012 by Winter Wedding Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Catch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Catch

Mistletoe Magic by Melissa McCloneHalfway to Nowhere by Steena HolmesAnonymity by Amber Lea EastonHome For Christmas by Melissa McClonePastels and Jingle Bells by Christine S. Feldman
Christmas and Winter Novellas
93rd out of 165 books — 208 voters
A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa KleypasChristmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa KleypasBy Proxy by Katy RegneryA Virgin River Christmas by Robyn CarrThe Christmas Wish by Katy Regnery
Best Seasonal Romance {Christmas, Winter}
431st out of 486 books — 618 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma
I wish I had managed to read this sooner, such a nice heart-warming story. Only 100 pages long but very well written. I particularly enjoyed the interaction between characters, favourites being Carlos and Ellen :) Also thought Mason the dog was a very cute addition to the story. I think the only thing missing was a bit more description about Christine's deceased husband, as I feel there could have been a stronger bond portrayed in the writing than there actually was, but overall, a brilliant rea...more
Loverlypurple
After finishing and enjoying The Holiday Bride (which I liked more than this ebook) I started The Christmas Catch. It was another sweet romantic story with likable characters.

My biggest complaint is, I didn't like that the ebook opens up at what you think is the beginning of the story but is just part of the middle of the story before getting to chapter one. I think this kind of spoiled the story for me a little bit as I would have liked to let the story unfold with out knowing this information...more
Daniel Steele

SHORT AND SWEET - NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!
September 5, 2014

By Daniel Quentin Steele (Jacksonville, FL)

FIRST THINGS FIRST

I liked this book. I'm glad I downloaded it, glad I read it. And the three star rating may be a little bit unfair to the book and its author.
BUT...
The rating is a combination of personal and literary factors the author has no way to be aware of. (I know I ended with a preposition.)
First, I have been on a romance/chick lit reading jag for awhile, which a...more
Becky
Christine White lost her husband in Afghanistan two years ago and now lives in Chicago with her son Tyler. Her boss and best friend is sending her to Vermont to re-energize and spend time with her son. Bachelor, professor John Steadman is satisfied with climbing the ladder in his own career. Christine almost runs John off the road with her car in a storm on her way to the house. The two form a friendship.
I thought it was a sweet, wholesome, Holiday Romance story. The ending made me cry.
Amanda
This was a cute novella. It was free, and nice to read a Christmas story in the off-season. But, I didn't really "buy" the premise. I don't think a woman with a child is going to take a vacation romance seriously. The heat level in this was just right for a single mom and a guy that has commitment issues that are never fully explained. But, I like my romances a little steamier. It was a free novella, so I don't feel cheated out of this one, and it was an entertaining read.
Sarah Crosby

Another free kindle book disappointment. Mindless read was mildly entertaining yet poorly written, predictable, with an awful ending. (who proposes after two weeks?) Although I have other free kindle books on my to read list. My expectations have been significantly lowered. This also took two hours to finish. 100 pages? Seemed like an episode of a poorly written lifetime tv show.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Christine takes her 4 year old son to Vermont for the Christmas season. Planning on reconnecting with her son, relaxing, and getting into the spirit of the season, she is not planning on finding a man and falling in love. But John rescues them from a snow drift and sparks fly. Sweet read!!
Betty
A delightful Christmas love story. I loved the characters. The plot and story line are great, especially considering this is such a short read. Well done. I will be looking for more from this author!
Jennifer Gallagher
This is the first book I have read by Ginny Baird... it had everything I want in a sweet romance book..the characters Christine a young widow with a son and hunky John Steadman a professor.. throw in the beautiful Vermont ..snow and Christmas into the melting pot and you have a wonderful setting for romance or do you !!.. Christinr and John become friends... is that how it will remain or is this an opportunity for love?? this book is one to warm your heart and scream out loud for the Characters....more
Char (1RadReader59)
Christine is a young widowed mother with a preschooler, named Tyler. She lost her husband, Dan, two years ago in Afghanistan. Now she is working for Ellen at her greeting card business in Chicago. Ellen is not just her boss but her best friend too.
That is why she is sending her and Tyler to Vermont. Normally, Ellen house sat there during the holidays but this year she has plans with her boy toy. Plus, she feels Christine has been pushing herself too hard since Dan’s death and needs a rest. She...more
Donna
What a wonderful story filled with laughter, Christmas cheer,romance, sexiness, mommie love and falling in love. Very well written story line and the cast is superb. Christine has a lot on her plate, working to hard, her boss (Ellen) talks her into a needed break. Now time to herself to spend with her baby boy. Time that has been missing. On her way she almost runs one of the locals off the road. Ok, so one of the local hotties! Oh my goodness where did that come from. John is quite taken by her...more
Roberta Capizzi
I've been reading a few Christmas short stories these past few days and I always felt they were way too short for me to get involved in the story. So when I started this novella, I wasn't expecting much. I'm happy I was wrong. Even though this is a quick read (I read it in a few hours on a lazy Sunday morning) it has enough power to hook the reader and make you want to keep turning the page.
It's a beautiful, sweet romance (and a clean one, at last!) set in a Christmassy Vermont setting, which ma...more
Angela
8 May 2014: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
Peni
Jul 30, 2014 Peni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is the first audio story I have listened to of this genre. I found it very nice although the readers voice interpretation took some getting used to.

The Story was just what I needed right now. A light clean romance with a backdrop of Christmas to set the scene. Everyone right now seems to be celebrating Christmas in July so why not? Seriously, this is a good story that anyone could enjoy. The Characterization was done well and overall there weren't really any big surprises so it was a relaxi...more
Gisela
Cute, sweet story.
Emma
Christine White has been trying to stay above water since her husband passed away two years ago. Working full time and taking care of her son has been difficult for her. She wants him to give him everything she can including love instead of taking her frustrations out at him. In the encouragement of her friend and boss, she goes to Vermont for the holiday, she never expected to bond more than just her son.

John Steadman is a professor in Vermont. He is through looking for love, spending all his t...more
Crystal
Christine White has such a full plate. Since she lost her husband, she has been a single mother, raising an adorable, intelligent four year old son. She is in desperate need of some time to recharge and spend some quality time with her son. Her best friend, whom is also her boss sends her to Vermont to house sit. I found it so sweet that Christine's friend seen how much Christine needed this get away.

Little does Christine know she is about to meet handsome, wonderful, and helpful John Steadman....more
Kathie (katmom)
This was a sweet little (100 pages) Christmas story. There was lots of snow, a cute kid, a dog with a wagging tail...and a woman and a man who meet and sparks fly. At one point he is SO clueless, even his male friend just shakes his head at him. I do like a man who can learn, and John did.

I took a bookmark away for the little guy's dialog. He seemed way older than four. It's hard to catch that kind of little kid voice. He was sweet, don't get me wrong, he just read much older.

A nice way to bea...more
Anna Marie
Wow. Lackluster widowed mom with no talents, no confidence, no grace or intelligence scores sexy hawt college dean when she takes a two week Christmas vacation to Vermont.

It wasn't that it was badly written. The story itself kind of had a charm - I think it was the setting. But I just didn't like John. He was a jerk, frankly. And while he could cook, do woodwork, fish, fix stuff, rescue damsels, take care of his extended family, loved animals... he was a selfish a$$. Sorry, he just was.

Christine...more
Julie Barrett
The Christmas Catch
John Steadman is a college professor in a little town near Burlington, VT. He had helped tow Christine and her son Tyler out of the snowdrift along with his dog Mason.
They lived in Chicago but were house sitting for Helen, her boss and best friend. Christine White had lost her husband Dan in the war. She's an artist, graphic doing designs for a card company.
They do meet up again in town, shopping for groceries. John talks to his dog Mason and assures him he will ask her out. T...more
Laurel
Busy single mom Christine takes her young son Tyler on a vacation to Vermont for Christmas - at the insistence of her boss, Ellen. Christine's been short-changing Tyler, so this holiday is the perfect opportunity for them to reconnect.

Enter John, a college professor who they almost collide with on a snowy highway. It's Christmas, right? Miracles happen, right? And no less here - this isn't the only chance meeting they have, but one of the last. The rest are all well arranged. Well, mostly.

I love...more
Amanda
I know, what am I doing reading Christmas tales in August?

This was a sweet read about loss and finding your way after grief so that you can love again. Against 90 degree summer temperatures, it's snowy, cuddle-near-a-fire romance was just the escape I was looking for. If you are in the mood for a nice, sweet holiday romance ... with a little misunderstanding at times, pick this up. I read this book in a few short hours and enjoyed every minute of it.

The plot is pretty simple, it is a novella af...more
Brigette Manie
Love comes at you unexpectedly. John, career-focused college professor, has no room in his life for romantic entanglement and certainly not with a woman who has a child in tow. So why would Christine White engage his interest? Christine is a little frazzled with her job responsibilities and motherhood, yet she still has a private yearning in her heart for romance. Divorced she's cautious but hopeful that John will ask her out. While he struggles to sidestep the sensations her presence stirs in h...more
Cryssy
Good short Happily Ever After set during Christmastime. My only problem was I was rooting more for Carlos and Ellen instead of the actual main characters. The main characters were somewhat stiff.
Kstar0330
This was another cute, sweet, little hopeful romance story. A nice quick read. Baby, Be Mine is my favorite so far of the Holiday Bride Series, this one is definitely next in line for now. : )
Shay
A short very sweet holiday romance about a single mom finding love over vacation. I liked the characters and how the relationship developed. Plus, it had funny supporting characters. Very little drama, somewhat predictable, but still great for when you want a sweet romance.
Lauryn
This was actually a really sweet little christmas story, it wasn't very long but it was nice to read in spite of the length : )
Cici
This is a short sweet story of a young widow with her son. They go on vacation and she finds love with a Professor. It is clean
Zury
It was a free book so I decided to give it a shot. Simple and fast short story. Nothing graphic happened in the book other than a kiss shared between the two characters who felt a love connection upon first meeting. Nothing about the book is realistic and is obviously a fantasy of what the author probably wishes love was like since everything moved very quickly to get to the point/end of the story quicker. Nicely written and a cute love story about a single mother finding love while out on a hol...more
  • A Spy for Christmas
  • Mistletoe Mischief (Romancing Wisconsin Series, #1)
  • Be Mine For Christmas
  • Home for Christmas
  • Loveable Christmas Angel (Angels with Attitude, #3)
  • Jingle This!
  • Blame it on the Mistletoe
  • Cowboys and Angels (Aspen, #3)
  • Holiday Kisses
  • I Love Lucy (The Bachelor Pact)
  • One Snowy Night Before Christmas
  • Unexpected Gifts (Castle Mountain Lodge, #1)
  • Christmas in Wine Country
  • Mistletoe Magic (Copper Mountain Christmas, #3)
  • The Rent-A-Groom
  • Carla Kelly's Christmas Collection
  • Blue Christmas (Moody Blue, #1)
  • All I Want for Christmas is You (Fate with a Helping Hand, #1)
Romance writer Ginny Baird has published novels in print and online and received screenplay options from Hollywood for her family and romantic comedy scripts. She writes touching, often humorous, contemporary romance about single women facing everyday challenges. Known for featuring holidays and family themes in her work, Ginny frequently portrays the struggles of single parents or others who've g...more
More about Ginny Baird...
The Sometime Bride Mistletoe in Maine (Holiday Brides #3) The Holiday Bride (Holiday Brides #2) Must-Have Husband (Summer Grooms #1) How to Marry a Matador